Start by marking “Do Purpose: Why brands with a purpose do better and matter more.” as Want to Read:
Do Purpose: Why brands with a purpose do better and matter more.

Do Purpose: Why brands with a purpose do better and matter more.

The most important brands in the world make us feel something. They do that because they have something they want to change. And as customers, we want to be part of that change. These companies have a reason to exist over and above making a profit: They have a Purpose.

Yes, we love the product they make. But the thing we love most about them is the change they are making.

P
Published January 7th 2014 by The Do Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Do Purpose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Purpose

Start your review of Do Purpose: Why brands with a purpose do better and matter more.
Luca
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
For some reason I thought that this book would be written from a ‘consumer perspective’ when I first saw the book. Turned out it is not, since it focuses on how your business can make a difference, or put differently how you can become a brand with a purpose.

Now, I do not currently own a business, nor is that something I aspire to do in the near future. Yet, this book gave some food for thought. For example, I could not help but reflect the ideas of Chapter 5 ‘People’ to my own work situation,
Megan Hillen
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book for a few reasons: it’s a quick read; it’s packed with helpful, concise advice. However, the advice is not what I anticipated. The title is a bit of a misnomer. This book lends great advice to startup founders, but not to brands looking for ways to identify and craft their purpose.
Anastasiya Mozgovaya
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a short book that filled me with enthusiasm that i desperately needed.
Fab
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a short, easy read with helpful tidbits for business owners. Most of the insights I was aware of already but this served as a good reminder. Here were my biggest takeaways:

- Define your enemy. It doesn’t have to be another company, it can be bad design, pollution, bad service, complexity. This provides your purpose and the extra fuel to keep going.
- Aim to be a brand that knows what change it wants to make in the world.
- Write your business plan on a doormat because the constrained space
Sophie
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
David Hieatt presents the principles of a purpose driven brand and shows you how you can apply them to your own by building your culture, defining your purpose, and doing one thing really well. This book has jumped right to the top of my list of books every creative should read. Do Purpose reinvigorated my passion for cultivating a purpose for my brand and expressing it clearly through all my actions. It's a quick read yet intensely powerful and I urge you to get a copy now.
Rosanna Highton
For some reason I thought this book was going to be about impact and changing the world, and how to help brands do that. But in fact it is mainly a how-to guide for setting up a business. Of course, it is insightful, and I’m sure anyone using it as a manual/bible would find it useful. For me though, I was slightly mislead by the title and was left a little confused about why I was reading it...
Kim
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing groundbreaking in this book. Nothing particularly new or innovative, but I'm still giving it 5 stars because I believe it accomplished what it set out to do. It is inspiring. It won't help you put together a business plan but it will give you the kick in the butt that you need to push forward with that idea you've been noodling on. I find it particularly useful when I'm feeling unmotivated or defeated. It's helpful for getting me back on track, and the juxtoposition of the lette ...more
Niels Philbert
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's a good sign, when a book leaves you wishing it was longer. That's how I felt about this book.

And then again it's a great size, because it doesn't rob you of the time you could use to start implementing ideas and attitudes from the book.

My recommendation is to just read until you find an idea that resonates with you business or situation and then close the book and take the first action in implementing. "Define your enemy" seems like a great place to start.

So read it slow, eventhough it's
Poonam
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
You will feel most alive if you create where your love, skill and the zeitgeist meet.

Define your enemy. A way of getting at purpose.

The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary.

Write your business plan on a doormat some every word costs and it will be concise.

Rule 1: Make a great product. Rule 2: Don't forget rule number 1.

Your time is limited. Remember that. Start today on your idea. Self-imposed insanely impossible deadlines often help.
Yunis Esa
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that this type of style of presentation is great to read. One could get into the rhythm of the author and feel inspired by the ideas. I feel that sometimes writer’s are pressured to increase there word count. There work complicates an idea to the point that one could make his own assumption about the meaning of the writer. This type of book is harder to write because the author is limited to how much he could say. The author must presented his idea clearly and simply.
Bex
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very simple visual book (would go well in the loo, for those who have those sort of things), that's full of useful insights. I always say I don't want to teach people to sell more shoes, but this guy sells jeans, and has brought 400 jobs back to a jobless part of Britain in doing so ... products with values, that's what I want to see!! ...more
Mel Wilson
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It’s not a long read but it is an important one and something I keep coming back to. Insightful and inspiring. Simple but powerful. If you are considering starting your own business or looking at turning round an old out of date giant this will help. I’m looking for a new career move and it has given me focus on my purpose and what I can bring to an organisation.
Korianne
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read and a very useful read. I liked that the points were concise, memorable and something that o will definitely refer back to in the future. It’s something you can read in one sitting and has some moments that have you thinking aha. I enjoyed it
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Short, simple and to the point. Nothing really new but good to be reminded of the info in the tiny book every once and awhile. There were a few quotes I've written down since they jumped out at me. ...more
Jarkko Laine
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick, inspiring read. Very visual and full of quote-worthy one liners on the different aspects of running a business with a purpose.
Malte Höltken
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No new Ideas but compact, to the point and motivating.
Natpat Mon
Nothing new but provides good reminders of important concepts.
jewelthinks
bought this book for a colleague as well.

lots of take aways— mainly things I’ve heard elsewhere. it’s still good to have it packed in a handy dandy handbook of sorts.

Connor Paone
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Life changing.
Tiffany
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Q average
V
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it and highly recommend it. Simple. Eloquent. Inspiring. Motivation. Will be reading it again.

V
Annisa Chrisnadila
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love love this book. I know the author has marketing background since his words are packed and easy to read. It's light reading with heavy idea i guess. I wish to read more book like this one ...more
Farhan Hadi
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Rather telling the readers about how to make a brand with complicated tools. Hieatt gives us imaginative narrative to follow along how to make a great brand or business.
Lindsay
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepeneurship
Short and sweet. I love the list of recommended books in the back.
Ash Gibson
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the most quotable books for a marketing consultant. Well worth a read.
Documentally
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
An easy read (2 sittings) with some lovely little nuggets. A good round up of collective wisdom. Sure to inspire. The book itself is a beautiful thing. Well made for continued referencing and dipping into.
Terri Lohman
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
short, sweet, to the point

I read this book in under 2 hours.
It reiterated a lot that I knew and gave me ideas for the evolution of my business.
I even took notes, something I rarely do.
Paul
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. A book that will be referred to frequently.
Hjd
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short, simple, to the point. Love it for what it is and will definitely refer to it on multiple occasions.
Florent Diverchy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short, but going to the essential. This book will give you all the necessary tools to convince you that your idea is good, unique, and is worth being tried. A must read!

• Do Design: Why beauty is key to everything (Do Books Book 13)
  • Do Breathe: Calm your mind. Find focus. Get stuff done
  • Do Fly: Find Your Way. Make a Living. Be Your Best Self.
  • Do Lead: Share Your Vision. Inspire Others. Achieve the Impossible.
  • Do Disrupt: Change the status quo. Or become it. (Motivational Book, Books about Status Quo)
  • Do/ Story/: How to Tell Your Story So the World Listens
  • Do Listen: Understand what's really being said. Find a new way forward. (Listening Book, Mindfulness Books, Self Growth Books)
  • Do Agile: Futureproof your mindset. Stay grounded
  • Do Scale: A Road Map to Growing A Remarkable Company
  • Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion
  • Do Pause: You are not a To Do list
  • Do Fly: Find your way. Make a living. Be your best self.
  • Failed It!: How to Turn Mistakes Into Ideas and Other Advice for Successfully Screwing Up
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman
  • Make It Now!: Creative Inspiration and the Art of Getting Things Done
  • Behind the Mask: My Autobiography
  • Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business

News & Interviews

“Find a bigger enemy than just a rival brand. It can be bad design. It can be time. It can be pollution. It can be ugliness. It can be bad service. It can be landfill. It can be complexity. But pick your enemy well. It will drive you forward.” 2 likes
“The most important brands in the world make you feel something. They do that because they have something they want to change. And as customers, we want to be part of that change. These companies have a reason to exist over and above just to make a profit: They have a purpose. Yes, we admire the product they make. But the thing we love the most about them is the change they are making.” 1 likes