Start by marking “Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Midnight Crossroad

(Midnight, Texas #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  26,635 ratings  ·  3,678 reviews
FIRST IN A NEW TRILOGY

From Charlaine Harris, the bestselling author who created Sookie Stackhouse and her world of Bon Temps, Louisiana, comes a darker locale - populated by more strangers than friends. But then, that’s how the locals prefer it...

Welcome to Midnight, Texas, a town with many boarded-up windows and few full-time inhabitants, located at the crossing of Witc

Published May 6th 2014 by Ace (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Crossroad, please sign up.
Mari While the character may have been written this way by the author it didn't always go that way when casting take TVD for example. Bonnie was written as…moreWhile the character may have been written this way by the author it didn't always go that way when casting take TVD for example. Bonnie was written as a redhead and now she's played by a black-ish character. We are in a new time where the masses want diversity in what they see on the screen. If more of the characters look like every day folks more every day folks will watch & the ratings go up. Better chance of the show surviving.(less)

·  26,635 ratings  ·  3,678 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I can't believe I have had this damn trilogy for 6,000 years and had no idea I had my own little gem! Story of my life!!

I loved it and all of the characters! 😄

Mel ❤

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

AMAZON: REVIEW
Ang from OZ
Mar 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interested to see what this is like. Think I'll wait and see what early reviews say first though.
I haven't forgiven Ms Harris for the last few books in the Sookie Stackhouse series yet......

Update- I reckon if I get 100 likes on this I'll buy the stupid book and review it.

Update- As stated once I hit 100 likes I agreed to read and review this book. So the book is on its way, Stay Tuned for Review...
In the mean time, check out the Interview with Charlaine Harris where she talks about her books
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2/7/18 - ON SALE for $2.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I love Charlaine Harris. Really, I do.

When I started reading her SOOKIE STACKHOUSE books, I was so desperate for more Harris reading material (in the between books time) that I did something I’d never done before—I read mysteries.

Why did I read mysteries?

B/c that’s what Harris writes. She wrote mysteries for years, only having middling success. I don’t know if Harris had a dream filled with vampires and werewolve
Darth J
After reading that the premise of supernatural people living in a small town, I immediately thought of one of my perennial favorites: HalloweenTown.

What I got, however, was a dull and meandering story of a one-horse town that is, in a word: lame.

While I wasn’t one of the angered fans of how Harris ended her Southern Vampire Mysteries/ Sookie Stackhouse books, I am disappointed in this one. This new series exists in the same universe and yet is so lacking in each and every way. Gone is the smoky-
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jilly
Oh man, how can I trust Ms. Harris with my heart again after the travesty that was the ending of the Sookie Stackhouse series? And yet, here I go again. A sucker for pain.

Bring it on

This book has a slow pacing, so be aware. It is set in a small town in West Texas, and since I live in Houston, I have been through many of these types of places. The lifestyle is slower. The iced tea is so sweet you will get insta-cavities, which is fine because there always seems to be a lack of teeth going on anyw
Meg Leader
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I was hugely disappointed in this new book. It is the first of the series, with Manfred, the psychic friend of Harper Connelly as the star carryover from previous books. (Though, to be fair, Lily Bard from the Shakespeare books gets a mention too.)

I so looked forward to this. I absolutely have loved every one of Charlaine Harris's books--I'm pretty sure I've read all her published novels, even the very early ones. And the Harper Connelly series (GRAVE SIGHT, etc.) is my absolute favorite. I like
Judy Lesley
Apr 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, suspense
What happens when a witch, a vampire, and a psychic walk into the Home Cookin restaurant in Midnight, Texas? Answer: not much.

I have been tempted to read novels written by Charlaine Harris, but had never satisfied my curiosity. I figured the first book in a new trilogy would be a good place to start. This story is set in a tiny hamlet that is nothing more than a stoplight at a crossroads. The book reads as if every inhabitant of the town is included in the character list. The beginning of the no
Shannon Godwin
I am just wondering if this series is going to be like the true blood series & let us all down at the end.... I don't think I know of one person who really enjoyed the last couple of those books.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“If you live next door to an apex predator, you shouldn’t go around poking him with a stick."

I became a Charlaine Harris fan when introduced to her Sookie Stackhouse wonders (except the last few books, let’s just forget those shall we?) I followed up with other series, but none captured me like her paranormally twisted Louisiana town that boasted a rare psychic, werewolves, and a bizarre blend of vampire personalities. I was hopeful this new paranormal series was her returning to the roots that
Shannon
I've read at least one book (in some cases all) of every single series Charlaine Harris has written. Her earlier cozy mysteries are at worst, mind numbingly boring (especially Aurora Teagarden), and at best, mildly interesting. Midnight Crossroad unfortunately falls into the cozy mystery genre, though I was hoping for more of a Harper Connelly-type story, especially given the (sort of) main character hails from that series, but this ends up closer to Lily Bard's series instead.

Stay away from th
Anna
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book six stars I would. Every page was a delight, from the beginning where I got to meet beloved old characters from my favorite past Charlaine Harris series to the end, where I was left satisfied and enlightened and yet still curious about what is to come in the secretive town of Midnight, Texas. This is little more than a crossroads with a traffic light and a small handful of residents all of whom have their reasons for living there, and town custom is to not enquire about ...more
Crystal
audiobook.
Cute, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had physically read it
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
I'm a little disheartened to say that one of the most highly anticipated books for me this year ended up being the biggest disappointment thus far. :/

I used to really look forward to each Sookie Stackhouse book that came out, even if the storyline sort of fizzled out by the end of the series. So I was really excited to discover that she had a new series coming out and that it featured a small town in Texas that was surrounded by mysterious circumstances.

Suffice to say I was sad to find out tha
Yodamom
3.5- it was slow, it was not exciting, and yet it was a pleasurable experience. I enjoyed the relaxed small town feel of the story. The pacing was easy, how life happens in a one gas station country town. A place where everybody knows your business and keeps to theirs for the most part. This is the kind of community that reveals their steal bonds in times of trouble. It is also a place where many beings have come to hide away from the outside world. Not much happens no, but the characters introd ...more
ALPHAreader
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
*** I try not to give ‘Harper Connelly’ or ‘Lily Bard’ spoilers away – but I do have to mention how it is that two characters from those series are able to migrate into this new Charlaine Harris universe, so if you intend to read those books and don’t want to be in the least bit spoiled – STOP READING! ***

Manfred Bernardo – 22-year-old phone and online psychic – has just packed up and moved his entire life to Midnight, Texas. One stoplight town with a pawnshop, resident witch and more secrets t
ᴥ Irena ᴥ

Welcome to Crazytown, Texas. Everyone here is hiding something; be it one's past or nature, they all have that in common. There are more POVs but they are all about the same things: the main mystery and what they think of each other. Midnight Crossroad is more of an introduction to the series and setting the stage for future mysteries and problems these characters might be facing than anything else. Also, I love the book summary.

I can't be sure if I would feel the same about Manfred if I didn't
Kirsti
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the most boring book I've read this year. Dry writing, boring characters, boring murder mystery. If the whole point of this novel is solving the murder of a character, I would have liked to know more about her, enough to actually care she was dead. Instead Manfred moves to town long after she's disappeared, and that's when the story begins.

Why do Charlaine Harris characters end up with such cracked names? Maybe it's just me, but most people I meet have names like, Matt, Brad, etc, but w
Cyndi
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all take the Sookie of it all out of your brain. Although this is about a small town in the south it’s much different. Well, except for the supernatural stuff and the killings. Okay, it’s kinda different. Mostly because we have more POV’s. I got so tired of Sookie.
Anyway...a physic moves into Midnight, TX shortly after a woman disappears. As the story progresses we have that mystery to solve along with getting to know the characters in this cool town.
Elaine
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marked ad to read! So excited Manfred is getting his own trilogy! I wonder if Harper and Tolliver will make any appearances ??Can't wait!
Arielle Walker
Midnight Crossroad‘s blurb urges readers to “stay a while, and learn the truth”, so it's rather frustrating to discover that the whole “truth” about the town of Midnight and its residents will have to wait until book two. The truth about this first book, however, is plain: despite an interesting premise, great characters and a lot of potential, it never goes anywhere.

After the prologue has quirkily – if a little clumsily – set the scene, fantasy elements are introduced quickly, with hints of mor
Kaora
Jun 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mindless-books
What did I just read?

This is my first Charlaine Harris book, so I went in not knowing what to expect.

A book about a town consisting of a vampire, a witch and a psychic and a host of other strange creatures and people. Should have been an interesting read.

IT WASN'T.

I was bored. Bored bored BORED. That is when I wasn't scratching my head saying WTF?

The book and the people are just so illogical. Maybe I am expecting too much. It is a book with snake-people, witches and vampires, so I suppose expect
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
3.5 stars.

I read Ms. Harris's "True Blood" series and though I enjoyed it,the series fizzled out at the end.
I was hesitant to start another series,but I liked this book. I was not crazy about the storyline. I thought the "whodunit" storyline line was a little lame. It seemed a little forced.

I loved the characters in this book and want to know about them,so Ms Harris effectively hooked me.
I just hope that the storyline strengthens,good characters can only take you so far and then interest starts
Wanda
Not my favourite book by Charlaine Harris by a long chalk. And that despite the fact that there is cross-over of characters from the Sookie Stackhouse series, which I am still reading and enjoying quite a bit. This book had potential—but I think Harris was still burnt out from finishing the Sookie series and should maybe have left this concept alone for a while.

I’m glad that I picked this novel up in a used book store—I’ll be returning it for credit and enjoying another volume of something else!
Noneya
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Man, oh man. I have long been a fan of Charlaine Harris, and coming fresh off the let down of the final few books in the Dead series (namely the last one), I was really hoping she would redeem herself with this new book. Sadly, that simply wasn't the case. The best way for me to describe what reading this book was like is to harken it to having a strong craving for a delicious tiramisu only to receive a soggy, watery, flavorless goo. While the book was not so terribly offensive as the final book ...more
Beverly
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great start to a new series!

Welcome to Midnight, Texas...a small town where everything seems pretty much normal if you just drive through and don't look any anything too closely. (It sort of reminded me of the Haven TV series in that regard.)

Harris has written a great cast of characters (despite their odd names, which did kind of grow on me), including Manfred, the Internet psychic, who had arrived in Midnight for reasons unknown and has a drive to work until he just about drops; Fiji, (and
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I don't know if my tastes have changed or if the author's writing style has but this just didn't do it for me like her series in the past have. I just could not get into this and had to DNF it. Maybe I will try again at a later date. I'm hoping I like the TV series better.
Tabitha
Midnight Crossroad was different then the usual type of urban fantasy I’m used to reading that is typically fast and very in your face with the supernatural elements. This one had a pace that was just what I imagine Texas is like, a leisurely mosey. Don’t mistake me tho it was incredibly readable and such a refreshing change of pace especially considering I’m normally an adrenaline junkie.

The story takes place in a very very small town in Texas that pretty much only stays alive because it has a
Dianne
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to Midnight Crossroad, where everyone has a secret. Some are deadly, some are funny and some just downright odd. Nevertheless, one thing is for sure, EVERYONE has one!

A word of warning, it might seem to those who have a passing fancy with the Sookie Stackhouse series that this book may be set in Sookies world –it is NOT - although there are vague elements that could possibly suggest (in the smallest of ways) that it is. This is a very different world and one that I am happy to have been
3.5 Stars
Werde die Reihe weiterlesen, aber als TV Serie gefällt sie mir nach wie vor besser :D
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
  • The Wild Ways (Gale Women, #2)
  • The Ghost Train to New Orleans (The Shambling Guides, #2)
  • Cursed Moon (Prospero's War, #2)
  • Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby, #4)
  • Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock, #11)
  • What's a Witch to Do? (A Midnight Magic Mystery #1)
  • Better Homes and Hauntings
  • Home for the Haunting (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #4)
  • Hair Raising (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #3)
  • The Girl in the Green Silk Gown (Ghost Roads #2)
  • Generation V (Generation V, #1)
  • Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond (The Hollows, #10.1)
  • Owl and the Japanese Circus (Adventures of Owl, #1)
  • House of the Rising Sun (Crescent City, #1)
  • Red Delicious (Siobhan Quinn, #2)
  • Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Midnight, Texas (3 books)
  • Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2)
  • Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3)
“When the second hour of Fiji’s open house was almost at an end, a mother from Davy said, “How on earth do you get it to look like the cat is talking?” “Oh, did it look realistic?” Fiji had to struggle to keep a smile on her face. “It was so cute! It said, ‘Get off my tail or I’ll smother you in your sleep.’” “Just some batteries and a CD!” Fiji said. “And isn’t that just what a cat should say?” 3 likes
“You have a vampire living in your basement, and you're stunned by a talking cat?” 3 likes