Start by marking “Top of the Class: How Asian Parents Raise High Achievers--and How You Can Too” as Want to Read:
Top of the Class: How Asian Parents Raise High Achievers--and How You Can Too

Top of the Class: How Asian Parents Raise High Achievers--and How You Can Too

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

Asians and Asian-Americans make up 4% of the U.S. population...and 20% of the Ivy League. Now find out how they do it.

The numbers speak for themselves: 18% of Harvard's population; 25% of Columbia's; 42% of Berkeley's; 24% of Stanford's; 25% of Cornell's...

What are Asian parents doing to start their kids on the road to academic excellence at an early age?  What can all p

Published November 1st 2005 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Top of the Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Top of the Class

Sera
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 stars; I rounded my rating up to 3 because it is the holidays, and I am feeling generous.

Overall, I must say that I was pretty disappointed by this book. I was looking for Asian cultural insights that I could use as a parent, but unfortunately, only about half the book took this route. The rest of it was common sense parenting that could come from most any culture. At one point, the authors even criticize the Asian way of teaching. They believe that "drilling" and "repetition", which I under
Tnf1228
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This book reads as a series of over generalizations. The bottom lines are mostly known through the lens of behavioral analysis or otherwise presumed by listening and paying attention in the world.
Njeri
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
This book is written from the perspective of 2 sisters raised by THEIR Asian parents - yes, they have some examples from their friends but the sample size does not justify generalizing to ALL Asian parents. I don't think either of them have their own children so it is about their parent's parenting style - if they haven't tested out these tips on their own kids, I'm wary of testing them out on mine. The writing style is not varied and becomes monotonous after a few chapters. The focus is on help ...more
Diane
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book as it was about two sisters who were raised by Asian parents who stressed education very strongly.
One of the things that made me think, is when the child was struggling, both of the authors parents would make dramatic changes in their schedules to correct the error until they saw that the problem was resolved. They had family meetings as to how everyone in the family could help the child that did not have a good report card and also that the day the children received report c
Kami
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Some of this was obvious, but Soo and Jane pointed out that parents should have a good attitude about work if they want their kids to want to get a good education to have a fulfilling career and life. I realized that also applies to everything, service, church, work, friends, children, etc. Not that I have a bad attitude, but I should pay more attention to have positive attitude about things most important to me.

I also really liked the points about education being a family endeavor, everyone wo
Steph
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The secrets are well laid out. I found many to be things that I completely agree with but I may be lacking in some of those areas. I do not wholly agree with secret 11. But every family and person has a different point of view on life and their kids futures. Overall a very thought provoking book.
Stephanie
Jan 07, 2009 marked it as to-read
Greatinformation to know for my kids!
Nicolai
Aug 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
one generation away from a tin shack thinking.

rich dad, poor dad!!
Stephen
Apr 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
I found this book frightening for the simple fact that the writers seemed completely unaware of the model minority stereotype. Their "how to guide" is based upon anecdotal evidence.
Brian
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Some fairly common sense advice about raising kids. A much more balanced approach than the "Battle of the Tiger Mom" but not nearly as entertaining to read.
Kenitta
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I took away of lot of tips to incorporate with my children.
Alycia Wells
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Good read
Tira Wakayama
Oct 15, 2007 marked it as to-read
hahaha! this book my mom bought me... very interesting.
Erin
Jess
Nov 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
1 follower
Dr. Soo Kim Abboud is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Pennsylvania, and is active in the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Otolaryngology, and the Association of Women's Surgeons.
More about Soo Kim Abboud