Start by marking “The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)

The Third Option (Mitch Rapp #4)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  31,081 Ratings  ·  916 Reviews
Mitch Rapp, CIA's top counterterrorism operative, is sent on his final mission. His target, a German Industrialist who has been selling sensitive equipment to the worlds most notorious sponsors of terrorism.
Mass Market Paperback, 402 pages
Published 2004 (first published October 31st 2000)

Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining. Not quite as enjoyable or "complete" and the last Flynn book I read. This book seemed to be a lot more back story and prep for future books than a self contained story.

That being said, I did like the book okay and it read very quickly once I got into it. It is a story of government corruption and political intrigue that takes place about a year after the last book. For 400 pages the action seemed kind of limited - unlike the last book where I couldn't figure out how they fit so mu
James Thane
As a general rule, I often enjoy movies about super-stud, kick-ass spies like James Bond or Jason Bourne, who are often caught up in labyrinthian plots where everyone is betraying everyone else and you never know who to trust. But for whatever reason, I've never been very fond of books about these sorts of characters. The characters often seem very one-dimensional and the plots are so completely over the top that I just can't suspend disbelief long enough to spend three or four hours reading the ...more
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
I often ask myself what is it that I enjoy about the "Mitch Rapp" series by Vince Flynn. I read these books in two or three days and feel like I've just had a proverbial Chinese meal two hours after which I'm hungry again. I guess I just flat out enjoy the simple good versus evil plotting and the predictability of knowing Rapp will win out in the end, no matter how impossible his situation seems.

In this volume, Rapp is bedeviled by political operators with an agenda that is not necessarily in t
Paul O'Neill
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Awesome!! Very well written. This is the closest you'll get to 24. Flew through this and can't wait to start the next one.
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action
No apologies, I'm a Vince Flynn fan. He rasies hackles in some circles simply when his name is mentioned, but if you'll give him a fair read you might be surprised.

This is a frank story, Mitch Rapp has been sent on an assassination mission, only to be betrayed. Who's behind it? Who ordered it? and later in the book, who's tying up all those pesky loose ends? No all the democrats aren't bad guys and all the republicans aren't good guys. The politics like the violence are frank and no punches pul
Abridged. Ugh. I hate it when that's not well displayed. This sort of book doesn't abridge well. It just makes all the tropes that much more obvious & this series has enough trouble with those anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun action series, but that's all it is. There's never a real twist, just the hero doing heroic things & rising from the sewage where he's landed into the presidential rose garden one time after another. Abridging it turns it into a comic book.
Ashish Iyer
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Flynn's first three books, American Assassin,Kill Shot and Transfer Of Power, I was looking forward to another tale of non-stop action and thrills. Much to my surprise, however, The Third Option,was a bit disappointment. The plot was dragged out and the action was neither very exciting nor frequent enough. Further, the biggest letdown in this book pertained to it's conclusion -- or lack thereof. The Third Option ends leaving the reader "hanging." Flynn is an author that I felt I co ...more
Dec 16, 2007 rated it did not like it
This second Mitch Rapp novel has got serious, annoying problems.

3rd Option – I did not like this 3rd book in the series. Anna, who has become Mitch's love interest, is an idiot and gets herself taken by the bad guys. Mitch wants to quit and marry her. This whole idea of Mitch in a real romance does not work for me. Bad guy Sen. Hank Clark gets away in the end. Flynn tries to connect all the people in previous books, like a dumb romance novel. Recurring character Scott Coleman assists him, Dumond
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great addition to the Mitch Rapp series. It was a little hard to follow for a while and I was quite lost, but after a few chapters it started to pick up the pace. In The Third Option Flynn shows us more of his political views, which I found intriguing.

I'm guessing that Separation of Power, the next book in the series will pick up where The Third Option left off. I'm taking a short break from the Mitch Rapp series because I've read the first 4 books in a row and I don't want to get burnouts, H
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
James Bond would probably kill to get his hands on Mitch Rapp's custom-made leather overcoat. Weighing in at 23 pounds, it has all manner of hidden compartments and pockets that house extra passports, money in various currencies, an encrypted radio, weapons, extra ammo, a speaker and microphone cunningly sewn into the lapel, and more. Bond wouldn't stand a chance against Mitch Rapp, of course. The overcoat stays with our guy, thank you very much.

The third option refers to a covert operation, as
Jilrene ♥
More like 1.5 stars, but I'll round up because Mitch Rapp is still a favorite character of mine. This book did not work for me. (I really wanted to use foul language there.)

I don't like Anna. Nope, not gonna lie. She is a fragile special snowflake and I don't think she is good enough for Mitch. Minus 2 stars right there. (by the way, I liked her in Transfer of Power - go figure)

I do not like the ending. I even prepared myself for this horrible excuse of a cliff hanger by reading reviews with spo
Rick Fisher
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second novel in the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn, "The Third Option", finds our hero at the center of a political plot wrought by those who walk the hallowed halls of American government. After an undercover mission in Germany goes seriously wrong, with Mitch ending up on the wrong end of several bullets, he must traverse the secretive world of politics to find out who set him up and why.
Another great story by Mr Flynn. This is another awesome entry in this series. The plot is detailed
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of spy thrillers
The only reason I didn't give this novel five stars is that a lot of the its plot-lines carry over into the next novel, Separation of Power, so in a lot of ways this felt incomplete by itself. With that caveat, it's still a kick ass spy thriller, and Mitch Rapp is the pinnacle of a kick ass spy.
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, cia

”Who is a bigger threat to my country, a terrorist ten thousand miles away or the corrupt self-serving politician down the street?”

The greatest generation is dying and there aren’t enough able people with compasses that point true north. Irene Kennedy is one of the rare ones and there are people who would stop at nothing to keep her from taking over the CIA.

Mitch Rapp is on his last assignment when he’s betrayed. Bad move. The Iron Man spends the book tracking down every last thread... but
Mr. Gottshalk
Well, I am so glad that someone recommended this series to me earlier in the year. This one starts off with a bang, as our ultra-secret covert operator Mitch Rapp is set up and left for dead. The rest of the novel reads like a revenge thriller, as he tries to put the pieces together with who could be behind his assassination attempt, only to find out that the lousy bureaucrats in Washington, D.C. would be stupid enough to do anything to cross America's most dangerous man! Not my favorite but I w ...more
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Interesting, fun but Flynn either never met a woman or has the worst love life ever. Not enough action to offset the ponderous and infantile love story.
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
I believe I've read about all of the Vince Flynn novels. I like to believe that people like Mitch Rapp are out there keeping me safe from anti-american enemies.
To be honest, the back cover blurb sounds a whole lot better than the actual book. As it would, I guess, once the marketing department got hold of it. That's not to say it's a bad book, just that it doesn't live up to the promise. Not that I always read the back cover blurb, I seldom do actually, and hadn't in this case. So, I thought it was good, but flawed.

As I say, it is mostly about Washington politics. It's a bit of a watered-down House of Cards, the 'you might think that - I couldn't possi
Absolutely superb. His books get better and better. I have now read five of his books, four of the Mitch Rapp series and Term Limits a semi-standalone. Vincent Flynn only wrote 13 Rapp books before he very sadly passed away, so I am drawn between reading them one after the other (which I always want to do) or eking them out so I can saviour them slowly. Rapp is so much better than Lee Child's, Jack Reacher. Why hasn't a film been been made of him instead of the rubbish Reacher film. I have just ...more
David Feinstein
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The novel deals with Mitch Rapp who is a member of the CIA's highly secret Orion Team. He's their top assassin. When the first option of diplomacy and the second option of military force fail, the United States turns to its third option of covert action as a way of dealing with terrorist's attacks. It is our last option of fighting back, and it usually involves assassination.

Mitch Rapp is on the verge of resigning from the CIA. He has met the woman of his dreams and wants to live a normal life.
Gloria Bernal
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it

In this the 4th Rapp book in the series - Mitch has one more mission in Germany to complete, and then he wants to call it quits and leave this dangerous life behind. He's fallen for White House correspondent Anna Reilly, (whom we met in Book 3). Now all he wants to do is settle down with the right woman and live a normal life. But things don't go right in Germany, and now Mitch thinks his own people may be trying to eliminate him. He's madder than hell, and now he has to find out who an
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: action
This is the my first "Mitch Rapp" book and I wished I would have started with the first book in the series. Also, the story wasn't wrapped up at the end and now I will need to continue to the read other books in the series to see what happens.
Winter Sophia Rose
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dark, Intriguing, Deep, Intense, Edge Of Your Seat Ride!!! I Loved It!
Phillip III
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty straight forward political thriller, and I loved it.

Mitch Rapp is sent on a mission to take out a bad guy. Only four key people know about the detail, Mitch as one of the four. When this is done, this mission over, Mitch is done. He wants out. He is in love, and wants to get married and knows all to well working as an assassin is hardly the kind of 9 to 5 job most families are raised in.

In Germany, Mitch is working with a husband / wife team. Together they survey the area, kee
David Dalton
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, assassin-s, spies
My 4th Mitch Rapp thriller overall (Pre-Mitch #1: American Assassin and Pre-Mitch #2) plus Transfer of Power. I am looking forward to reading ALL of the Mitch Rapp thrillers (and would love to read a few more Pre-Mitch thrillers). Lots of good ole spy vs spy action and of course Washington politics.
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are so quick
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Vince Flynn delivers again. I say it although it should be expected I guess.
The world of espionage and thrilling action is as engaging as before. And the story is getting even more intriguing as we get deeper into the series.
I wonder what is next...
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mitch Rapp is a secret assassin who takes out the bad guys, such as someone selling weapons to Saddam Hussein..... but he has also fallen in love.
Milo (BOK)
The Review Can Be Found Here: http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.c...

Mitch Rapp, the CIA's top counter-terrorism agent, is sent on his final mission - to eliminate a European industrialist who has been supplying highly sensitive equipment to one of the world's most notorious sponsors of terrorism. He doesn't know that the ultimate target of this mission is himself.

Thriller books are generally good for fast paced, action fun, with plenty of quick reads. Lee Child, David Baldacci, Elmore Leonard
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • The Shooters (Presidential Agent, #4)
  • Private Sector (Sean Drummond, #4)
  • Time to Hunt (Bob Lee Swagger, #3)
  • Tsar (Alexander Hawke, #5)
The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988.

After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist. In 1990 he left Kraft to accept an aviation candidate slot with the United States Marine
More about Vince Flynn...

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)
“they were clearly in the wrong, it was Al Rudin they paraded out in” 0 likes