Start by marking “Professional Baking” as Want to Read:
Professional Baking

Professional Baking

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  624 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
One of the most respected cookbooks in the industry, the 2002 IACP Cookbook Award Winner for Best Technical/Reference, Professional Baking brings aspiring pastry chefs and serious home bakers the combined talent of Wayne Gisslen and the prizewinning Le Corden Bleu in one volume. The revised Fourth Edition offers complete instruction in every facet of the bakers craft, offe ...more
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 701 pages
Published April 6th 2004 by John Wiley & Sons (first published February 4th 1985)

Andy
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bakers
Shelves: kitchenxplosion
If you're into baking at all this is essential reading. One of the textbooks used at Le Cordon Bleu, this excellent instructional book goes into exhaustive detail about different flours, leavening agents, every style of bread, pastry, cakes and even custards. You probably won't have need for another baking book once you get this, because Wayne Gisslen's Professional Baking is as comprehensive as it gets.
Ginnie
Sep 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All bakers.
Recommended to Ginnie by: My chef
The worst problem with this textbook is how much you have to flip around to find the complete technique to the formulas. Rather impractical when in the middle of tempering chocolate or making an Italian Meuringue.
Syahira Sharif
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This is one of the book I frequently use and read all these years. Its a comprehensive book about the science of baking and it cover all the basic terms and steps in baking pastries, cakes and bread. Although I never actually use this book for the recipes but I find it provide wealth of information that you wouldn't find even in the wikipedia.

The recipes started with the basics to intermediate and professional. Unlike the Professional Cooking where you don't really need the precise measurement
Rick Hunter
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, culinary
So far, this is the best book that I've read in Culinary School. if you have any interest in baking at all, this book shows you are of the basics. Not only does it show you all of the baking basics of everything from biscuits to creme Brule to pies, it shows you how to make pretty much anything that a batter is used for like doughnuts & crepes. There are also plenty of recipes for fillings & sauces to go along with your baked goods. This one is a must for any Culinary professional.
De
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a great book for bakers. The recipes are terrific for the cakes, pies, etc. but our bread was consistently too wet because the recipes call for far too much water. We cut it back by 1/3 and would add as needed to make the proper consistency. That said there are some wonderful and exotic cakes in there that I was lucky enough that my BFF made and put my name on :)
Alma
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This text was included in my classes at LCB. I keep it around in part because of the recipes and the notes I took, but it makes a great reference volume, as well. Covers a lot of topics, and has a huge number of recipes.
Yasmine Alfouzan
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Great explanations of techniques, but there is no way in hell I'm going to use emulsified shortening.
Tina
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear instructions, beautiful pictures and fantastic recipes. Best textbook I've used so far. No re-selling this one; it's a keeper, for sure.
Mary
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
great textbook - has a lot of information that I am constantly using for reference. Also, the formulas are really easy to use and variate and i have found some of the best recipes out of this book.
Karmologyclinic
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, favorites
one word to describe this book: bakegasm!
Courtney
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful baking book. Excellent recipes. If you are in the field of cooking or baking this is what you will need.
Thanaa Khawaja
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ممتاز !
Shannon
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Sous chef recommended I buy this for my classes didn't need it but it came in handy
Kierstin
Good for learning the basic chemistry of baking, but not for everyday use
Petabyte
Oct 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kitchen-magic
I'll probably never use anything from this book (my sister bakes, and quite well too!) because I'm too lazy, but paging through it gives me an appetite. :)
michelle c
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
My baking bible!
Mia
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Reading this for school, I've found that it's very informative. We're using the Fifth Edition, which Goodreads doesn't have listed.
I recommend it for serious bakers out there.
Michael
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
THE textbook.
Brittany Chambers
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Textbook for my pastry class- a good blend of history, terminology, method, and recipes (sorry, formulas).
Super useful!
Erica
Aug 31, 2007
  • The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry
  • Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft
  • Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner
  • In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion
  • How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science
  • The Secrets of Baking: Simple Techniques for Sophisticated Desserts
  • The Essence of Chocolate: Recipes for Baking and Cooking with Fine Chocolate
  • The Art & Soul of Baking
  • On Cooking: A Textbook of Culinary Fundamentals
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • Advanced Bread and Pastry
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • The New Professional Chef
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops