Start by marking “Almost Super” as Want to Read:
Almost Super

Almost Super

(Almost Super #1)

Each leap year, on February 29th, at 4:23 p.m., every member of the Bailey family over the age of twelve gets a superpower. No one knows why, and no one questions it. All the Baileys know is that it's their duty to protect the world from those evil, supervillainous Johnsons.

Today, Rafter Bailey and his brother Benny are finally going to get their superpowers. Benny wants
Published January 21st 2014 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Super, please sign up.
Debra Yes. How can you be a superhero when you have worthless powers? It isn't some special power that makes you special, it is who you are and what you do…moreYes. How can you be a superhero when you have worthless powers? It isn't some special power that makes you special, it is who you are and what you do with your everyday character. Story of friendship between feuding families. Lots of laughs.(less)
Mishal123 Benny and Rafter are probably the two main characters in this AMAZING book!

Start your review of Almost Super
Faye, la Patata
This was a really, really cute read. It may look simple on the outside, but there are layers and layers underneath full of values that teach about love, understanding, trust, and forgiveness. It's a MG book, but it's something people of all ages can enjoy, especially those who are fans of superheroes, comics, and the like.

So basically, Rafter and Benny are in a family of superheroes who were "chosen by the universe" to save the world from evil. Their dad can fly, their grandfather has
Sandie
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sandie by: Marion Jensen
I have read many children/young adult books over the years. Some bring great imagery with little story. Some bring a great story with foul language. This story was able to bring together great characters, incredibly described scenes, a fun and captivating story, and clean language. I love the lessons learned throughout the book. It taught about love, forgiveness, realizing your full potential, and being the best you that you can be! I enjoyed this book as I know that my kids will. I suggest this ...more
Sara Grochowski
Rafter and Benny Bailey have been waiting for this day, February 29th, since the moment they learned their family was made up of superheroes. The moment the clock hits 4:23pm, Benny and Rafter's lives will forever change as they inherit the superpowers that will allow them to protect their city from the villainous Johnsons. their dreams take a nosedive, however, when the boys end up with rather useless powers, crushing their dreams of supersuits and heroics.

After an encounter with classmate and
Rosalyn Eves
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 9 year-old-son read Marion Jensen's Almost Super a few weeks ago--and reread it again the next day he liked it so much. So I figured I should probably see what the appeal was, and after reading, I have to say I get it.

Almost SuperJensen's book has a lot of humor, heart, and action, and if not everything is plausible, well, it's a super hero story.

In the Bailey family, everyone over the age of twelve gets their super power on February 29th at 4:23 p.m. So Rafter and Benny are eagerly
Cory Webb
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Almost Super. The Baileys are everything a superhero family should be--eccentric, courageous, funny, and above all, full of heart. But when Rafter Bailey and his little brother Benny get their superpowers, they're crushed to find that their "super" powers aren't super at all. The Baileys think they protect their city from the evil Johnson family. But Rafter and Benny soon learn a shocking truth from their classmate and nemesis, Juanita Johnson, that forces the brothers to question ...more
David Ballesteros
Almost Super by Marion Jensen held a great story involving two brothers, Rafter and Benny, of a super hero family who had worthless powers. Their family the Baileys have a rival family the Johnsons who also have a daughter , Juanita, with a worthless power. The trio go through adventures through their family history and headquarters and kids wonder why they have worthless powers. Eventually a super family nobody has ever heard of, the Jones family, has stolen every super hero's power. The ...more
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
What makes a superhero? Is it the superpowers, or is it something greater?
Sara
An excellent concept. Perfect for book-talking. AA++ will definitely be book-talking for 3rd-5th graders for summer reading.

I really like the idea that just because you see yourself as a hero, other people might not. And that you should probably (view spoiler)

Cute, funny, fast-paced, surprising twists -- just over all entertaining and well done.
Dan
A cute & funny super-hero story in which the Baileys fight against the Johnsons (shakes fist) in a never ending battle of good versus evil. Rafter and Benny are about to come into their super-powers on February 29 when something strange happens that may change they way the view superhero and supervillain forever.
Ellen
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, audio
I actually really liked this. I didn't think I would because the concept sounded ridiculous, but the author is from my hometown so I thought I'd at least give it a try. It's a lot of fun. I laughed out loud a couple of times and enjoyed the three main characters. While the super hero genre is getting pretty cliche, this at least had a couple twists I didn't expect. Great for grades four and up.
Lea
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, kids
This book (which we listened to as an audio) was a challenge for my my 3.5 year old but he loved the subject material (super heroes!) so much he kept at it, even when he was a little confused by the plot. It wasn't too terribly boring for me, either, and I enjoyed the lighthearted humor.
Margot
Funny, action-packed, and smart. Boys and girls will both love Almost Super.
Kate
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book! While I was reading it my love for "Almost Super" was as everlasting as the war between the Johnsons *shakes fist* and the Baileys *spit* right until the end!
Alexyss
For a book aimed at practically middle schoolers, I like this book. The main protagonist (Rafter) and his brother (Benny) were really cute and hilarious characters. Also, the synopsis of this book is kind of intriguing: Two families fighting against one another but not ACTUALLY knowing why they've been fighting for years is ridiculous but in a good way. It reminded me of the famous family feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys.

However, I gave this book an average review (3 stars) because I
Valerie McEnroe
This is a good book for boys who like a little bit of humor and absurdity. The Bailey family are super heroes. Every leap year, on February 29th, at exactly 4:23pm, each member of the family over age 12 gets a superpower. Rafter and Benny have been waiting for this moment. But when it arrives, it's a fail. Benny can strike matches on polyester and Benny can change his belly button from an inny to an outy. They are sure the villainous Johnson family has something to do with it. But when they talk ...more
Andrew
Listened to the audio book version. The narrator does a very nice job with it.

Rafter Bailey and his little Brother Benny are about to become tweens, the year they get their super powers. Their whole family, the Baileys, all have amazing super powers and protect the city against the Super Villains, the Johnsons (SHAKES FIST) ... But the Bailey boys get really lame super powers. Is it the dreadful Johnsons (shakes fist) or is there another force at work? Is Juanita Johnson (their fellow
Segullah
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, tweens
Marion Jensen’s Almost Super is the kind of book that epitomizes a middle grade novel for me. The story centers on Rafter and Benny Bailey, of the famous Bailey superhero family, who will get their superpowers at 4pm on the first February 29th after their twelfth birthdays. They’ve spent their entire lives dreaming of this moment, and they’re totally underwhelmed when those superpowers do arrive (the ability to light polyester on fire doesn’t often come in handy in hand to hand combat). The boys ...more
Marty
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of The Incredible movies will have a great time reading this superhero story. Like some other middle-grade superhero stories, Almost Super
Your reader will love the short chapters filled with snappy dialogue and exciting adventure. The fun continues in Searching for SuperJoshua DreadSupers of Noble's Green
Megan
Rafter and Benny Bailey have been waiting their whole lives for this day-- the day they get their superpowers. But when their powers do arrive, they are sorely disappointed. Their superpowers aren't very super at all. In fact, they are barely even powers. Rafter's power is that he can light a match on polyester fabric, and Benny can turn his innie bellybutton into an outie.

They are devastated. They wanted real superpowers, like the rest of their family. Super strength, super speed,
C.J. Milbrandt
Rafter and his brother Benny are Baileys, and they're about to come into the family legacy. On Leap Day, every Bailey who's turned twelve inherits their super power. Which they use in their ongoing battle against the Johnsons (insert fist-shake). But their big moment doesn't arrive in quite the way it should. Rafter and Benny are determined to get their due, even if it means taking on the Johnsons (insert fist-shake) alone.

Super heroes and super villains. Tactics and collateral damage. Goat's
Rachel Higgins
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I noticed that a librarian friend had this on her reading list and thought I would check it out. I am so glad I did. I read this to my 7 year old daughter. She loved the characters, their witty come-backs and the cliff hangers. We can't wait to get the next book! This is a fun read with adventure and excitement from some great kids with great ideals. Basic plot is that the youngest members of the Bailey and Jones families are set to get their super powers when something weird happens. The weird ...more
Katie Chase
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids and I checked this book on CD out from the library and our entire family enjoyed it, from a kindergartner up through a kid in 9th grade (and my husband and I loved it too). The characters and plot are both amusing and also teach you about judging people, problem solving, and becoming your best self. I love books that make me a better person, but also make me laugh, and this one fits both of those categories.
HermioneGranger
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing!!!

Rafter and Benny are Baileys... which, of course, means they're super. But when they get dud powers, and their greatest enemy attends school with them, they have to undertake the adventure of a lifetime. Along the way, they make friends, solve age-old problems, and maybe, just maybe, they might be... almost super.

Great book, definite recommend, and the perfect superhero story to read to your kids!
Peter Jones
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This one surprised me. My wife started it with our son for their evening book. I overheard snippets while reading to our daughter, and decided to read it myself. So while they were at a friend's this morning, I read the whole thing. It was well-written, with a great Incredibles vibe, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now, to just avoid accidental spoilers while they plod thru at a chapter per night...
Beth
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a little predictable (then again, let's face it, I have way more practice than the target audience), but the world is intriguing and the characters vibrant. My main complaint is that it ends just as it's getting interesting!
Bradley Sabloff
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4th-grade
The story deals with a couple of special families and their adventures. The plot moves quickly and the characters are very fun. The book is very well written. My 9 year old daughter recommended this book to me and she loved it too.
Ruby Ridge
The interactions between the 3 main characters were really good but the feeble plot and supporting characters really let this book down
May read the next and last for closure but I won't rush to buy it
Rick Stuckwisch
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great, fun book. A fast read. Lots of great humor, along with some touching human drama. Loved the characters, and half the family ended up "eavesdropping" as a I read to the youngest two. Cute, and I suppose a little cheesy, but delightful and entertaining.
Megan Overly
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My seven-year-old loved this book! He was home sick one day from school and read half of it. Just the right amount of story telling, funny useless superpowers, and interesting problems for the characters to solve.
BUDDY!!!!!?????
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I read the blurb but I kept having sneaky suspicions that this is Oscar Redding’s secret plan to have the Johnson’s and Baileys fighting and for the Jones family to think that the were the villains and the were winning but the real REAl villain was Oscar Redding……… ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Spell Robbers (The Quantum League, #1)
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #2)
  • The Shattering (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #5)
  • The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Just My Luck
  • The Rescue (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #3)
  • Soof (So B. It, #2)
  • Never Say Genius (The Genius Files, #2)
  • The Island of Dr. Libris
  • Class Dismissed
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • License to Thrill (The Genius Files, #5)
  • From Texas with Love (The Genius Files, #4)
  • You Only Die Twice (The Genius Files, #3)

Almost Super (2 books)
  • Searching for Super (Almost Super, #2)
“Let's go downtown," Dad said. "By the public library. You never know what wild and crazy things might be happening at the library.” 3 likes
“Your mother is a shifty knitter.” 2 likes