Start by marking “After I'm Gone” as Want to Read:
After I'm Gone

After I'm Gone

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  14,138 Ratings  ·  1,649 Reviews
The acclaimed New York Times bestselling author of The Most Dangerous Thing, I'd Know You Anywhere, and What the Dead Know returns with an addictive story that explores how one man's disappearance echoes through the lives of the five women he left behind—his wife, his daughters, and his mistress

Dead is dead. Missing is gone.

When Felix Brewer meets nineteen-year-old Bernade
Published February 11th 2014 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about After I'm Gone, please sign up.

Dan Schwent
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-books
When small time gangster Felix Brewer fled Baltimore in 1976 to escape jail time, he left his family and his mistress in the lurch. When his mistress went missing ten years later, everyone assumed she'd gone to live with him in hiding... until her body was discovered years later. Now Roberto "Sandy" Sanchez, a consulting detective, is on the cold case. Can he find what happened to Felix Brewer and who killed his mistress?

I've read a couple of Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan mysteries and decided t
Kaye
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Laura Lippman's since her first novel. AFTER I'M GONE, in my opinion, is her best work to date. And that's saying something. Thinking about the books she's written (and I've read every one) I, personally, see a progression from a very good writer to one who keeps raising the bar - for herself and for others - to become one of the most talented writers writing today. This is a masterfully crafted book, skillfully and elegantly woven with an ending brought about with quietly sur ...more
Carol
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-audible
****4.5 Stars**** Excellent mystery! I love these sorts of suspense novels where layers are slowly peeled away to expose old family secrets. The mystery concerns a cold case file starting from 1976 when Felix Brewer, a bookmaker, jumps bail and vanishes rather than face possible prison time. He leaves behind his wife, three daughters and a mistress. The murder occurs 10 years later when the mistress turns up missing and eventually found dead.

The story is told in flashbacks over three decades an
Joan
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
This story centers around Felix Brewer, a man who chooses to disappear, and the effect that choice has on his family. The unfolding of their lives is told in bits and pieces with sections focusing on different characters and different time periods in order to tell the stories of those Felix left behind. This plot device, so effective in the earlier “I’d Know You Anywhere,” serves here to jumble the story and make it difficult for the reader to find continuity.

Unfortunately, I found this book fa
S.W. Hubbard
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Laura Lippman is one of my "go-to" authors--someone I read when I'm not in the mood to take a risk, but just want to settle in with a good book that I know I'll enjoy. Her standalone novels are always about how a crime can twist otherwise ordinary lives. So I knew when I started AFTER I'M GONE that it wouldn't be a whodunnit or a "snatched by a serial killer" breathless suspense book. Nevertheless, I was still disappointed by the pace of this novel. There is very little sense of urgency in the i ...more
Britany
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Felix Brewer is married to Bambi (I know right?) and has three daughters when he vanishes from his gambling business/debts and becomes a fugitive. 10 years to the day of his disappearance, his mistress's body is found-- oh yea, forgot to mention not only does he run a sketchy business, he also cheats on his wife with a dancer-- Julie. 20 years later, Detective Sandy opens this cold case and decides to solve it.

The book moved along, shifting between past and present day narration until finally t
Tooter
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. Another good one by Laura Lippman. Thanks to Jeanette for the recommendation!
switterbug (Betsey)
I haven’t read any of the Tess Monaghan series by Lippman, but I am a fan of her stand-alones. Her latest is back to form: excellent, character-driven, and providing substantial scenes that build tension without excessive police work or cat-and-mouse scenes. This novel is more of a study of people and families. The police work reminds us that there is a cold case to be solved, but it doesn’t take over the story. There’s as much “why” (maybe more) as “who.”

Widow and retired detective Roberto Sanc
Michael
I've been a big fan of Laura Lippman ever since Stephen King recommended her works in his Entertainment Weekly column a few years ago. And so when I had the opportunity to grab Lippman's latest novel early thanks to Amazon's Vine program, I jumped at the chance and immediately re-ordered my entire to be read list.

After being disappointed by her previous novel And When She Was Good, I had high hopes that After I'm Gone would see Lippman returning to form. The good news is that not only does Afte
Camie
May 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Felix Brewer, facing prison charges, vanishes in 1976 , leaving behind his wife Bambi , daughters, and mistress Julie, one of the dancers at his strip joint , to wonder about his whereabouts. 10 years later Julie is missing. 10 years later, retired policeman Sandy Sanchez is working to solve this cold case. This was my bookclub's May choice and my first Lippman read. It is not my usual genre. That said, I thought the book skipped around so much it was very hard to follow. It also has lot's of ch ...more
Jeanette
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, I think I have read them all and IMHO this is the best of all the Laura Lippman, including everything in her Tess series. And I'm a fan in general- so that is saying something.

4.5 stars - losing just a tiny bit in the few small confusions of the form. Yes, the time shifting time periods worked here wonderfully, you got uniquely framed personality core at each character's exact age. It's unusual for any author to do that switching so often and continually without losing some of the plot ten
Debra
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is hard for me to rate. I didn't think that it was that good but it wasn't terrible either. Maybe a 2.75 tittering on a 3 rating. I really liked the synopsis of this book. It sounded interesting. I didn't really care for any of the characters. I didn't like them but I didn't dislike them either. I just felt kinda Meh about this book. It was good enough to keep reading but not good enough that I would recommend it.
Angie
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, mystery
4+ stars...

Simple review.... My first experience reading a Lippman and it was a good one! i highly recommend the audiobook version for mystery lovers. The story & secrets are revealed in bits and pieces venturing back and forth through time in the lives of the key characters.
Karielle at Books à la Mode
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
Dead is dead. Missing is gone.

Inspired by the Salsbury fraud scandal of the 1970s, After I'm Gone explores how the enigmatic Felix Brewer's sudden disappearance echoes through lives of his wife, daughters, and mistress—the five women he loved and left behind. Both a legal thriller and dazzling sashay through a span of decades, Lippman's newest novel is elaborate, emotionally charged, and deeply probing.

In present-day Baltimore, as retired cop Sandy Sanchez reviews a cold case involving the murde
Cheryl
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Bambi meet and fell in love with Felix. They got married and had children. Everything was good except for one small detail. Felix has a mistress. Felix disappears before he can face prison. Bambi thought that he left with his mistress. That is until ten years to the day that Felix disappeared that his mistress is found dead buried in a park. Now, it is up to Detective Sandy to figure out what happened to Felix and his mistress.

It has been a little while since I have read a book by this author.
Alecia
Feb 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
I found the story line meandering and unfocused. I felt removed from all of the characters, and I kept losing track of what the original premise of the story was about. And 3/4 of the way through, I stopped reading. I did note all the excellent reviews, which puzzle me, but obviously people are enjoying this book. Not for me.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Audio #129
Julie
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After I'm Gone by Laura Lippman is a February 2014 William Morrow publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Felix Brewer meets his future wife, Bernadette "Bambi" Gottschalk at a Valentine's Day dance that he and his friend crashed back in 1959. Felix had big plans and promised his wife they would be rich. Well, he did become financially comfortable for awhile, but he didn't make his money the old fashioned way by earning it.
Mitch Duckworth
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what novel most of the other folks read to rate this piece in the mid-three's. I'd place it at a 4-and-a-half without hesitation. I'm withholding a five-star rating only because I know there are better books, but damn, really?

Are we becoming too jaded in our reading lives? Is there too much really good stuff within reach of our greedy little hands? I cannot remember the last truly bad book I read. I'm beginning to doubt that I know what a crappy title is. I can't find enough time to
Susu
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I've read three mystery/thriller books back to back and although I enjoyed them all, this one had more depth than the others. Despite the numerous characters, they seemed alive, so I never forgot who was who. This book ( my first by this author) was a pleasant surprise.
Bonnie Brody
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it
'After I'm Gone', by Laura Lippman, is a mystery that is also a multi-generational saga of a family and its close group of friends. It starts off with the disappearance of Felix Brewer, a bookmaker with a thriving gambling operation. Faced with jail time, he decides to disappear and leaves his wife, Bambi, and their three daughters in 1976. Though Felix loves Bambi, he has other women on the side. One of them is named Julie Saxony, and she is a more serious relationship than his others though he ...more
Bibliophile
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
When criminal Felix Brewer flees abroad to escape prosecution, he leaves behind a wife, three daughters and a mistress. The story revolves around these women, thank goodness. I don't think I could have handled Felix and his huge ego beyond the first chapter. The man actually quotes Fitzgerald to brag about being able to juggle both a wife and a mistress: “The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to f ...more
Sandy Nawrot
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Originally I thought this was a murder mystery...a question of who killed Julie Saxony, the ex-stripper mistress of Felix Brewer, a man who skipped town a decade earlier to avoid prison time. And that question does drive the plot forward, but this is more about storytelling. About the havoc that Felix's disappearance wreaked on his family and friend's fates. Lippman slowly unwinds the lives of Felix's loyal wife, his three daughters, his mistress, his attorney and bail bondsmen, over the 30 year ...more
Jean
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another good Laura Lippman. This one is based on a true story of a gangster in Baltimore who disappeared leaving a wife and three daughters and a lover. The story alternates back and forth in time and viewpoint, which I found hard to follow. I had to keep looking back and almost wrote down a timeline.

One viewpoint (the main one?) is an ex-policeman investigating the death of the girlfriend, 10 years after the disappearance of Felix (the gangster). I wasn't sure of the motives or position of the
Heather
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book, couldn't put it down. Audio version.
Charmaine Saliba
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
When I bought this book, I had high hopes, I really love psychological thrillers so when I see a book or rather books at the bookstore I would buy it even though I had never read any book by that author. Through the first half of After I’m Gone I was disappointed, it was somehow slow and couldn’t feel any connection with the main characters, actually I almost hate them especially ‘Bambi’, I found her spoilt and spineless. Then through the second half I was hook, and eventually I started to like ...more
Siv30
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
סנדי (רוברטו) סנצ'ס, בלש בגמלאות, יועץ למשטרת בולטימור מועסק במשרה חלקית בפתיחת תיקי רצח מהעבר שלא פוענחו. הוא נתקל בתיק משטרתי מלפני 26 שנה של רציחת ג'ולי סקסוני, פילגשו של פליקס ברואר.

פיליקס ברואר, נעלם בשנת 1976 לאחר שהרשויות הפדרליות האשימו אותו בהעלמות מס והם דרשו שישב 10 שנים בכלא. פליקס שניהל בתי הימורים, מועדון חשפניות וקפה נעלם למשפחתו ומאז לא נמצאו עקבותיו. עשר שנים אחרי, המאהבת שלו ג'ולי סקסוני, נעלמת אך גופתה נמצאת ב- 2001.

כמו ספרה הקודם שקראתי, גם הספר הזה מתנהל בעצימות נמוכה. הוא
Marlene
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

I haven’t read any of Laura Lippman’s previous books, because I didn’t want to start a series seven books in. But lots of people have recommended her Tess Monaghan series, and if it’s anywhere near as good as After I’m Gone, now I know why.

After I’m Gone is both a mystery and a character study. It really starts with a cold case, and then flashes back to the circumstances that set the whole chain of events off, and back to the murder being investigated.

This
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it

One disappearance and then another ten years later. Could both these disappearances have been planned far apart so no one would know the real reason?

Felix Brewer disappeared because he wanted to avoid going to jail for his misdeeds. He left his wife and three daughters, but was his wife really surprised he had left? He never really was with her in the first place. He always had a mistress and was rarely home. His mistress, Julie, was his most steady one. To cause more heartache and questions aft
Paul
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thrillers
After I’M Gone – top mystery

After I’m Gone by Laura Lippman is a beautifully well written murder mystery an old style whodunit that keeps you turning the pages to find out who the culprit is. This is a classic murder mystery story that is brought up to date by a modern day Agatha Christie where the disappearance of Felix Brewster echoes throughout the book while giving no hint as to where he is or if he is alive.

Felix Brewster is charmer of the old school easily referred to as a lady’s man who m
  • Invisible City (Rebekah Roberts, #1)
  • A Good Killing (Anna Curtis, #4)
  • A Dangerous Fiction: A Mystery
  • The Deepest Secret
  • Grains of Truth
  • Yesterday's Echo (Rick Cahill, #1)
  • Ruin Falls
  • Like This, For Ever (Lacey Flint, #3)
  • The Last Dead Girl (David Loogan, #3)
  • The Tenth Witness (Henri Poincare Mystery, #2)
  • If You Were Here
  • A Circle of Wives
  • Visitation Street
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • Aunty Lee's Deadly Specials (Singaporean Mystery #2)
  • Death of a Nightingale (Nina Borg, #3)
  • The Raven's Eye (Brock & Kolla, #12)
  • Havisham
Laura Lippman was a reporter for twenty years, including twelve years at The (Baltimore) Sun. She began writing novels while working fulltime and published seven books about “accidental PI” Tess Monaghan before leaving daily journalism in 2001. Her work has been awarded the Edgar ®, the Anthony, the Agatha, the Shamus, the Nero Wolfe, Gumshoe and Barry awards. She also has been nominated for othe ...more
“All life is hindsight, really, stories informed by their endings.” 7 likes
“You can rewrite life all you want, Sandy thought. It’s still a play where everyone dies in the end.” 2 likes