Start by marking “The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)

The First Star to Fall

(For Darkness Shows the Stars #1.5)

Discover how it all began…
New Pacifica was designed to be a tropical paradise, a refuge for humanity filled with natural wonders and technological marvels. A place of perfect peace, where “war” was only a war out of ancient history–or so the privileged teenage aristocrat Persis Blake had always been taught.
But then comes the revolution and the death of a queen, and
Published June 29th 2013 by Smashwords Edition

Start your review of The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of my fave short story/companion stories ever. Read it, then tell me you don't want to read Across A Star-Swept Sea. I am SO excited now!
Susana
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story, 2014
The beginning of it all..

Tonight, the world they’d always known had ended, and the girls they’d been were lost forever. Tonight, they’d watched a war unfold.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
It appears as though Book 2 is told from the completely different perspectives of completely different characters.

No. Bueno.

However, I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Rachel
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved For Darkness Shows the Stars, so when I learned there would be a sequel I was terribly excited. Likewise, I'd enjoyed the first novella Diana Peterfreund had written in this series and might have flipped out a bit when I learned there was a new one. This time I read the prequel novella before the book and it's just made me that much more excited to read Across a Star-Swept Sea!

This novella is absolutely perfect to get you back into the swing of the world Peterfreund created in FDStS or
Krista
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, dystopia
As I am a huge fan of For Darkness Shows the Stars and also the prequel. I thought I would read this before reading Across the Star Swept Sea. Word of advice do not read before. A prequel is not suppose to have you all confused but this did. So I am going to give another review after I have read Across the Star Swept Sea and see how I changed my mind. So I am leaving it at 3 stars for now. As always though author Peterfreund's writing is beautiful!
Kasey Giard
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've already read Across a Star-Swept Sea, so I read The First Star to Fall for another glimpse into Persis Blake's life. I was not disappointed. I loved getting to see Persis discover her passion to save the helpless and create her alter ego. There were a lot of seeds planted that came to flower in Across the Star-Swept Sea. A definite must-read for any series fans.
Sophia
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
After being riveted to the earlier stories in this series, I was glad to pick up this companion and set up novella for the second book in the series that is a post-apocalyptic retelling of The Scarlet Pimpernel.

While this one begins a whole new setting and set of characters though set in the same world as For Darkness Shows the Stars, I would not recommend getting them out of order, but it looks like it would be alright in a pinch.

The First Star to Fall introduces Persis Blake, a young aristo
Julie
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Diana Peterfreund is definitely an author I will be adding to my favourites list. Her writing is so lyrical and gorgeous. Don't believe me? Here's an example from the very first pages of this novella:

“It was a fine night, with a cool sea breeze swirling across the earth-warmed sand, and the scent of grilled tilaprawn and manguava in the air.”

Utterly breathtaking. Even in this prequel, Peterfreund managed to provide sufficient character building and immerse us once again into the elusive,
TheMadHatter
Second Read: 26 October 2019
First read: 28 July 2017

The first book in the series is a modern retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion, but set in a very steam-punkish/futuristic world. Although it is probably not every-one's cup of tea, I fell in love with it.

The second book in this series, Across a Star-Swept Sea, is set in the same world but this time is a retelling of the Scarlet Pimpernel. This is a short story (read in less than an hour) prequel to the second book that sets up the two
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great short story about Persis as the revolution begins and she starts her adventures. It's just a little snippet showing the political unrest and how Persis and her friends react to the events that began the revolution, and how they determine to help everyone they can.

I love the dynamic between Persis and Princess Isla! Those two friends are such a great addition to the story. Persis is such an intelligent and caring person, and with her bravery and resourcefulness, she makes an exciting
Anissa
This is a short prequel to Diana Peterfreund's 'Across a Star Swept Sea' & introduces us to main character Persis Blake. It also continues the story of The Reduction & this time it's being done to people on purpose. This is a good set up for more social commentary & I hope, more scientific explanation of The Reduction. I'd recommend this one for those who are into the series already & are ready to forge on to the next full length novel in the series.
Jennifer Conrad
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short novella is a prequel to Across a Star-Swept Sea. It shows a little of the revolution in Galatea and, more importantly, shows the creation of the Wild Poppy. It is a fast coming-of-age story, showing the defining moment of Persistence Blake's life. This was a very quick and enjoyable read. I just wish it had been developed into a full novel.
Jenn Hill
This was a nice short story set in this world, but confusing on the timeline and location in relevance to the first book in the series. These characters didn't draw me in like the last either. Hopefully the second book in the series will tie it all together.
Louisa
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was a fantastic novella, loved meeting these characters! Can't wait to read more!
Kiera Beddes
Genre: new beginnings, revolutionaries and revolution
Summary: 6 months before the events of Across a Star Swept Sea , Persis is at a luau with her friends, when the news of the regicide of Queen Gala ruins the party. Persis and her friend decide to check it out, but when they arrive in Galatea, they find a revolution starting and all enemies of the new regime are at risk, not just the aristocrats. Instead of running away, Persis decides to take a stand and invents an alternate ego, The Wild
Nadine Jones
They were very proud of the fact that they hadn't killed the queen. At least, that's the impression one got from the propaganda that made its way north across the sea to Albion. The revolutionaries down in Galatea believed they were gentle - merciful, even. In ancient times, overthrown monarchs were beheaded in public squares, or tied to stakes and lit on fire, or rounded up with all of their family members and shot to death in snowy courtyards.

But there was no such thing as snow anymore, and
Natália Lopes
This is the second novella in the 'The Darkness Shows The Stars' series. We get to see the events that led Persis Blake to become the famous spy, the Wild Poppy. While I love Persis as a character and enjoyed reading this novella, I think it would be better to read about what happened after 'Across A Star-Swept Sea' and tie the loose ends left at the end of that book.
During the novel we get to understand why Persis decided to become the Poppy and while we don't get to read the actual events and
Andrea
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Good introduction to the next book. The characters, their motivations, and the history of the two kingdoms are set up quite nicely, and I thought it was a good prequel in its own right.
However, if you've read "For Darkness Shows the Stars", it is a bit confusing, given that it uses completely different terms for the same thing (Luddites and Posts are now aristos and regs, for example). And I can't figure out when it is set in comparison to book 1. It seems like two completely different worlds
Elliot A
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, sci-fi, fantasy
A nice explanation of how Persis developed and assumed her alter personality.

I found this to be a bit bitter sweet, though, since it leaves the reader hanging in midair.

There is no news on any plans for a conclusion of this series and the wonderful world that the author built throughout the two books and two short stories feels abandoned and neglected.

It is still a little treat for readers, who loved the series thus far.

ElliotScribbles
Carla
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, own, 2014
I should read synopsis or pay more attention to the cover... Thought it was some sort of continuation or epilogue to For Darkness Shows the Stars but it turns out it's the prequel to the next book that has nothing to do with Elliot or Kai. It's set in the same world and that's it.

But it was interesting. I might pick up the book even if inspired by a book I've never read.
Amanda
Mmmmmmmm. I'm so, so, so, so looking forward to where this goes and having a brand new, utterly reimagined Pimpernel. I love the governments, classes, and characters we've laid out so far. I love how the foreshadowing of the main country is put right up the glass of the violent revolution in the other, both on tv at a party and up close in the second half.

I love who we are discovering our characters are. I love the choices made right at the end of the novel. I, seriously, can not wait to have
Celine
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful short story by Diana Peterfreund. The First Star to Fall is the prequel to her upcoming book, Across a Star-Swept Sea. It features the heroine Persis, and introduces us to the part of the world she lives. This short is fulled with promise for the full-length book. It seems that Across a Star-Swept Sea will be more science-fiction than romance, and I like everything I've seen so far.
A B
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
While it's not essential to the second novel in this series, it works well as an additional chapter. Note that it is not a novella, but rather a short story about how Persis was first inspired to start rescuing Galateans. I wish it had been longer, as the prequel to "For Darkness Shows the Stars" was. Some of the little details about life in New Pacifa are quite interesting and sadly unexplored in the book and short story.
Lola
I love Diana Peterfreund, but I had a huge problem with For Darkness Shows the Stars. A prequel is not meant to confuse you. It is meant to give a little backstory, to explain what the first book didn't in more detail. True, reading the book before the prequel helps a bit, but it is not a requirement. I knew the basic background of Across a Star-Swept Sea, but I was so lost in this prequel. More explanation was definitely needed. Still, I can't wait to read Across a Star-Swept Sea!
Pili
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A short story to introduce us into New Pacifica, the world of Persis, the Wild Poppy.
Prequel to the upcoming Across A Star Swept Sea, companion to For Darkness Shows the Stars, set in the same universe, but in a different place.

I really loved this story, and I can't wait to read more about Persis!
Jenni
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian, novella
I was a little confused by this one, as I was expecting to see some of the characters from For Darkness Shows the Stars and this was a whole new setting, although seems to be the same time period. Glad I read it though as I just started Across a Star-Swept Sea and it is making the transition a bit easier to have a little back story.
Jamie
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good start to the companion novel. Though I do wonder how they believe they are the lone survivors of the war when they have so much technology, but don't travel beyond the two islands? Seems strange that the no tech community will end up finding the high tech community (or I'm assuming that the land Kai and Elliot see is these islands.)
Jessica (Books: A true story)
This is an example of an unnecessary prologue. Everything that happens here is implied in the story and the only reason I can think of to write a prologue is to add interesting or significant details. I didn't feel like this did either. Nothing new here move along. Skippable although it is well written.
Nikki

The First Star to Fall was a good introduction to what I hope will be a good second novel in this series. This short introduced us to interesting characters which I hope to see grow, especially after the ending which shows so much promise (subterfuge and revolution)! If a short is supposed to whet your appetite for the novel, this one succeeded.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #18)
  • Just Jaime
  • The Art of Frozen 2: (Disney Frozen Art book, Animated Movie book)
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • All the Ways We Said Goodbye
  • The Clockwork Ghost (York, #2)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Words I Never Wrote
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • A Love Hate Thing
  • The List
  • Winterspell (Winterspell, #1)
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)
  • The Light After the War
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
Diana Peterfreund has been a costume designer, a cover model, and a food critic. Her travels have taken her from the cloud forests of Costa Rica to the underground caverns of New Zealand (and as far as she’s concerned, she’s just getting started). Diana graduated from Yale University in 2001 with dual degrees in Literature and Geology, which her family claimed would only come in handy if she wrote ...more

For Darkness Shows the Stars (2 books)
  • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)