Start by marking “Charm (Tales from the Kingdoms, #2)” as Want to Read:
Charm (Tales from the Kingdoms, #2)

Charm

(Tales from the Kingdoms #2)

Charm is a beautifully illustrated re-telling of the Cinderella story which takes all the much-loved elements of the classic fairytale (the handsome prince, the fairy godmother, the enchanted mouse, the beautiful girl and, of course, the iconic balls) and puts a modern spin on the characters, their motives and their desires. This is fun, contemporary, sexy, and perfect for ...more
Published July 18th 2013 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Charm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charm

Start your review of Charm (Tales from the Kingdoms, #2)
TJ
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
THE REVIEW

Why this book?
I read the first book in the Tales from the Kingdoms series

What I thought

I love fairytale retellings and Cinderella is one of my least favorite fairytales, but I admit I've read many Cinderella retellings. This was one of the worst I gotta say. First off she has a father, yes a father who just stands around and lets the stepmother treat Cinderella like crap. Don't apply for father of the year anytime soon! Also the characters aren’t necessarily likable. Don't even get me
Kortessa Giachanatzi
Cinderella demystified! That is what I have to say about this book. It contains the main elements of the original fairy tale (the shoe, the handsome prince, the step mother etc) but it is a lot spiced up and retold in a completely different way than the one we know. Definitely not recommended for children, despite the beautiful illustrations it contains. We also other fairy tales interwoven with this one. It doesn't have anything deeper to offer of course, but it is an enjoyable reading.
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
I wasn't at all sure I was going to like this book but I was pleasantly surprised that I did enjoy it but I didn't feel like it had blown my mind with something new. I won this book and the previous book Poison in a competition so considering I didn't pay for it (and I would never pay £10 for a book this size, it's tiny no matter how pretty it is, meaning I'm unlikely to buy any further books in the series). It was a nice idea but the actual writing let the book down big time as you just cannot ...more
Nicky
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairytales
I liked Charm more than the first book, but I’m still somewhat wondering exactly what to think about this. There’s less of a focus on sex in this book than in Poison, and what there is ends up feeling less exploitative and like power-play. Indeed, two of the scenes include a lot of tenderness, for quite different reasons. I can appreciate the world created, in which sex isn’t a huge deal but can be a way to share joy.

It’s also an interesting set-up world-wise, with Robin Hood making an appearanc
Liz Barnsley
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So one day I went and got hold of charm. Then my friend Hayley came around to spend some time with me. She saw said book, STOLE IT, sat on my sofa, ignored me for a couple of hours and read the lot. Sigh. SO this review is by her in penance for the whole theft thing. I have now managed to read it myself and I have to say - I agree with every word! Have fun!
Hayleys review

Well, not wanting to spoil the plot of Charm I can sum it up in 2 words - Bloody fantastic. It is the Cinderella "sequel" to Po
Wiebke (1book1review)
Charm sums up the open storylines of the Tales from the Kingdom as well as introducing Cinderella to the story line.
I loved how all the lose ends came together and that there are still some options for further tales to be told.
I was surprised at Cinderella's character, especially since Cinderella is by far my favorite fairy tale and I love its retellings. So after first disliking Cinderella's uncharacteristic selfishness I was really happy with the way the story played out.
I just loved the serie
Paul
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Boosted by the large and small screen revival of fairy tales, this series of books from Gollancz are perfectly timed. I will state, in the spirit of full disclosure, that despite growing fond of shows like Grimm and Once Upon A Time, I probably would not have picked this book up, and I would have missed out on a treat.

I am never one to turn down an opportunity to read any of Pinborough’s work, although previous things of hers I have read are more horrific in nature. Her writing is so unbelievabl
Brittany
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Find the original review here: http://thisisthestoryofmyreadinglife....

I'll admit to this one being a total cover buy. I was walking around Chapters and spotted these beauties(there's three in the series). So I read the quick blurb, a Cinderella re-telling, and was sold. And my wondering and cover buy totally paid off. This re-telling is pretty close to the original, but with a darker undertone. Cinderella's family dynamic is a little different, but she's still the one doing the cleaning. She's
Karl
Aug 20, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This hardcover copy is signed by Sarah Pinborough.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Liked the intertwining of various stories and the way the narrative spins what would be expected in famous fairy tales into something new and creative. Just a bit short for any real depth and felt the majority of characters were rather one-dimensional. Loved the prose, though, and the sex-positive nature of the MC.
Gena
May 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fairy-tale
Gotta say, not sure where the "fun" in the blurb comes from as I didn't get that vibe. From page 1 I disliked Cinderella and by the last page she hadn't improved for me. Very young (I want to be a princess) and selfish. There were sexual situations tossed in that made me go ick. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone. ...more
Bea Oak
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-have
Better than the first. I really like the way the story is told, and I loved that personality the author created for Cinderella, and I loved how it all came together. And this end? What to say? Totally unexpected!
Helen
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairytale
Imaginative retelling of Cinderella with added sauce. Easy and enjoyable read.
Melissa
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
See my other reviews at Never Enough Books

Fairy tales are an essential part of growing up, no matter where in the world you are. Every culture has their stories and children grow up hearing these tales. Even as adults, one can enjoy fairy tales whether in their original form or as in this week’s review, a new retelling.

Charm is such a tale, and is the retelling of Cinderella. It is part of a series of three books (the other two being Poison and Beauty) that take well known and well loved fairy t
Katie
This part of the trilogy retells Cinderella and features a little bit of Robin Hood, while also finishes up the Snow White retelling begun in the previous story.

Again, this story questions the happily ever after idea that Cinderella imagines with the prince. The prince is the same one we met in the first book, so his relationship with Snow White has to be dealt with. The huntsman also reappears in this story, and so does the queen, Snow White's stepmother.

Cinderella in this story is rather spoil
Nessa
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish, was pleasantly surprised by some of the events that took place within the story. Really loved how it all turned out.

I was so glad that I'd read Poison by same author first, as it ties in perfectly with this book.

I'm looking forward to reading the third and final book to this trilogy as I'm sure that I'll enjoy it just as much.
Fernanda Granzotto
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5
what to say about this book ... I enjoyed it more than the first book
the fact that this story complemented nicely well with the story told in the first book made a very positive aspect for me and again the final made me want to read the next book
Anne
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this version of the Cinderella fairy tale. She is not so nice and sweet.
Seregil of Rhiminee
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Sarah Pinborough's Charm is a charmingly dark and beautifully written companion novel to the amazing retelling of Snow White, Poison. The Titan Books edition of Poison was a very pleasant surprise for me and so was Charm, because it's one of the best fairy tale retellings ever written for adults. Charm is my kind of a dark and beautifully told fairy tale retelling, because it contains many dark, brutal and twisted elements that appeal to my imagination.

As a b
Meagan Houle
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Note: If you have not read the first book in the series, Poison, do so before reading this one. You'll find yourself very confused at the end, so order matters here.
I'm an ardent fan of fairy tale retellings, and this is probably my favourite take on Cinderella in recent memory. The original always lacked mystery for me, and I suspected that no one, not even sweet, guileless Cinderella, could have remained so flawlessly patient in the face of the abuse she suffered. Pinborough took care of all o
Brittany
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had stopped reading this book in the middle because I started reading another book... And that kept on happening until a few nights ago. I picked it back up and the next chapter sucked me in. The plot started to pull me in more and then crazy twists! I really enjoyed it for a fairy tale retelling.
LynthePen
Much better than the first book, Poison. More coherent, other fairy tales were woven in more smoothly, characters were more developed, Cinderella was an actual character instead of just an idea like Snow White was in Poison. Not at all sure how I feel about the ending though...

I'll probably read the next book out of ongoing curiosity
Mrs. Elaine
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked it better then the first book for sure. I was very surprised how the stories turned out. Cute but nothing mind blowing.
Pauline
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3.75 stars Better than the first book
Jo
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Pinborough takes the story of Cinderella and turns it on its head. A couple of other fairytales are thrown into the mix to produce a fun and slightly naughty version of a well-known tale.
Quinn Burch
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mckenzie
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read!!!
Katie Smith
Jun 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Usually, if I don’t like the book I’m reading, I will still finish it. I could not finish this book. This book was just plain weird.
Randi Rathbun
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These are such nice little stories to read!
Nada
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Actual rating 3.25
I didn’t love this book and didn’t hate it but i did love the romance at the end. I’ve only read one Cinderella retelling and that was cinder and even though nothing could top that I still enjoyed this one only in the end though😂

• A Feiticeira de São Judas Tadeu dos Milagres
  • Textos Cruéis Demais Para Serem Lidos Rapidamente
  • A Casa dos Pesadelos
  • Le parfum des fleurs la nuit:  Ma nuit au musée
  • Foucault in California [A True Story—Wherein the Great French Philosopher Drops Acid in the Valley of Death]
  • Broken Dawn (Immortal Guardians, #10)
  • Porém Bruxa
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • Henrietta & Eleanor: A Retelling of Jekyll and Hyde
  • Poesia que transforma
  • Master of One
  • A Shoe Addict's Christmas
  • Brenda Is a Sheep
Sarah Pinborough is the NYT bestselling and Sunday Times #1 Bestselling author of 'Behind Her Eyes' which has sold in over 25 territories thus far and will be shown as a six part drama on Netflix in 2020 and the Sunday Times Bestseller, 'Cross Her Heart'. She has also written books across a variety of genres including the YA thriller 13 Minutes (in development with Netflix). Her next novel 'Dead T ...more

Tales from the Kingdoms (3 books)
  • Poison (Tales from the Kingdoms, #1)
  • Beauty (Tales from the Kingdoms, #3)