Start by marking “And We Stay” as Want to Read:
And We Stay

And We Stay

Senior Paul Wagoner walks into his school with a stolen gun, he threatens his girlfriend, Emily Beam, and then takes his own life. Soon after, angry and guilt-ridden Emily is sent to a boarding school in Amherst, Massachusetts, where two quirky fellow students and the spirit of Emily Dickinson offer helping hands. But it is up to Emily Beam to heal her own damaged self, to ...more
Published January 28th 2014 by Delacorte Press (first published January 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about And We Stay, please sign up.
Alice McConnell It says in the book that if Emily says "library", it brings back too many memories. That is why she has to say it incorrectly. It was literally right…moreIt says in the book that if Emily says "library", it brings back too many memories. That is why she has to say it incorrectly. It was literally right in the book...(less)
Zoe Kaufhold There are a few touchy topics such as suicide, guns, abortions, etc. but they don't go into any of them too much. There is no extreme detail about…moreThere are a few touchy topics such as suicide, guns, abortions, etc. but they don't go into any of them too much. There is no extreme detail about what happened in any of the situations. (less)

Whitney Atkinson

I'm rather disappointed with this. Going into it knowing that it won the same award the same year as I'll Give You The Sun, my expecations were huge. But the plot was a bit dragging, the characters were bland, and it was very forgettable. Nothing about this was special or made me feel like it was deserving of an award. It is nowhere near as great as IGYTS. I would not recommend this, and I feel like I kinda wasted my time tbh.
Giselle
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, ebook
And We Stay is a book that will resonate with some, and left others feeling detached. It's a very poetic writing style which on one hand gives us a beautifully written novel, but on the other hand it makes it hard to embed yourself into the main character's thoughts and emotions.

The main reason for this detachment is due to the fact that it's written in 3rd person present. This tense always makes it hard for me to feel anything but indifference towards a story and its characters. It does make f
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

This is how they will go.
This is how she will go: on.
The light almost speaking,
and March halfway gone,
the green fields beyond,
and the staying.

Jenny Hubbard is a fantastic writer. I'll give her that. She can form sentences out of nowhere and still make it sound poetic and beautiful and grand. The poems that are inserted here and there are just another example of her talent. I really wanted to love And We Stay because of that. The prose and verse--I don'
Barbara
**A free copy of this book was provided by publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

description

DNF at 40%

I'm really sorry for doing this, but I just can't finish it. Honestly, I don't remember when was the last time I DNF a book.
Every reader has some things that are huge no for them. For me it's an inability to connect with main characters.
I admit I was drawn to this book in a first place because of that beautiful cover and the blurb sounded really promising. I expected a beautiful heart-b
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
Quick, easy read...

But at the end of the day, I am just not a fan of poetry, and this book really centered around that. Emily Dickinson's poetry, Emily the main character's poetry, there were even a lot of Emily's actual poems in the book. It was just not for me.

Other than the poetry aspect, I liked the story of her background with Paul, but that was such a small part of the book. I had to give it 2 stars
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
This was a bit of a different kind of read. Both sad and somewhat..strange maybe? Hard to describe. I did like the poems throughout the story and the bit about Dickinson was very interesting but other than that, I didn't find myself connecting with the story at all like I wanted to. That being said though, I think this maybe was more of a case of, it's not you, it's me. I seem to be having a hard time lately finding a really great read.
Jessica
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was just talking to one of the booksellers at the King's English about the Printz Awards and YA fiction in general. We were discussing how many of the books lately seem to have lots of crude language or sex in them, not because it's part of the story, but almost to show off. I said that it reminded me of a rebellious teenager fighting with her parents, yelling,"That's right! I drink ALCOHOL! And HAVE SEX! This is my LIFE, MOTH-er! DEAL WITH IT!" And you want to pat the book on the head. "Okay, ...more
Ellis
"So. You're a poet." Emily shakes her head. "No," she says, "I'm just a girl who writes poems."

It's weird for me to think of And We Stay as the story of an ex-cheerleader who starts afresh at an all-girls boarding school after her jock boyfriend shot himself in the school library, but that is the gist of Emily Beam's situation. Not that there's anything wrong with any of those elements, but they make the story seem flashier than it actually is, and flashy is one word I wouldn't associate with An
Rose
I read this a couple of years back at the end of the year and am just now writing a review for it since listening to the audiobook version. This will be a brief review/summary because I'm reacting to the overarching story itself. "And We Stay" is a difficult book to read (and rate, to be honest with you). It touches on quite a few sensitive topics, from suicide to depression to issues regarding teen pregnancy and abortion. Emily Bean is a character I followed well throughout the narrative - havi ...more
Wendy Darling
Feb 19, 2014 marked it as dnf
DNF a few chapters in.

On page 6, the main character references how the decision to send her to boarding school was "very Brothers Grimm." Really? I don't remember any of those in my fairy tales. I really just didn't care for the writing style and structure, though, and would not have picked this up had it not randomly showed up at my door. The dramatic subjects, somewhat heavy-handed style, and verse sections are just not my thing.
Katie
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm caught between 3 and 4 stars...
Sandra Deaconu
Pentru 10 lei este o lectură drăguță și scrisă frumos, mai ales că e scurtă și nu pierzi mult timp cu ea, dar eu am fost cam dezamăgită pentru că nu am primit doza de emoție la care speram. Mă așteptam la ceva mai profund și poetic, poate chiar și la un mister învăluit în ceață. Mi-au plăcut câteva lucruri la carte, cum ar fi poeziile și una dintre prietenele lui Emily, dar nu suficient încât să-mi mai amintesc de ea în viitor. E ciudățică și cred că intră în categoria cărților pe care le iubeșt ...more
Simona Stoica
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pe la 4 dimineața citeam poezii de Emily Dickinson, cu gândul la versurile unei alte poete, (o) altă Emily: Îi sărută linia vieții/Pecetluindu-i acolo secretele.

Acțiunea este aproape inexistentă, însă Jenny Hubbard încearcă să vindece un suflet rănit, ce își găsește oaza de liniște în versuri și în poeme despre trecut. O lectură sensibilă despre regăsire și pierdere, mult prea scurtă pentru gustul meu, dar un YA perfect pentru cei ce caută un roman diferit, aproape „poetic”.
Sharon L
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1-2014, netgalley
For more reviews visit The Accidental Reader

Do you love poetry? If so, you might want to give this book a chance.

But for those of you who don't like poetry or don't feel anything particular towards it, well, you might want to hear me out.

(Those who love are welcome to join as well, of course)

When I started this book I was awed at the beauty of the writing. But as the story progressed I found myself thinking that I might give this book 5 stars despite not liking it at all because the writing wa
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I will remember And We Stay and Emily for a long time after having put it down last night. I felt Emily residing somewhere in my chest as I read her story. It felt so personal, so ethereal, so damn sad it broke my heart. Paul broke my heart- the wonder of his thoughts, the confusion, and how damn alone he must have felt at the end. How terrible Emily's experience directly following his death & how patronized and bulldozed she was by her family- by her sense of fear and guilt.

But mostly I wil
Debbie Narh
good

1.5 Stars

When I read a novel where the main character has gone through some serious shit, I expect a few things. I expect a relatable/likeable character who has quite a few flaws. I expect a lot of emotion and confusion and above all, a lot of sympathy. I expect to love this book and feel as if I am apart of the story, that, this horrible thing that happened to the protagonist actually happened to me. I want to be in their shoes. And We Stay gives me a narration that left me more tired than any
Kelly
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I spent far more of this book wondering why 1995 than I did thinking about how gorgeously written it was, how wonderful the way Emily works through her grief is, how incredible the friendship between her and KT is, and how many really nice feminist/female-empowering messages were woven in without becoming Messages. This is a tougher read -- it will have a more limited appeal to teen readers -- but it's worthwhile. At heart, it's about grief and loss, and it's about grief and loss not just on the ...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

The first thing I learned about this book was it had some parts of it written in verse and as soon as I heard it also has some connections to Emily Dickinson and that it deals with emotional issues - basically it sounds like a perfect read for me. So I grabbed a chance to read it. Luckily I got approved for it, but sadly I expected too much.

Firstly, I must say that I really enjoy books written in verse so I hoped I'd enjoy this one for that but things weren'
Jen
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: high-school, ya
Emily Beam is attending a new boarding school in Amherst, Massachusetts, in order to recover from a horrifying event at her old school-- her ex-boyfriend brought a gun to school and shot himself in the school's library because Emily was breaking up with him. Emily is also a poet, and writes poems in order to help heal from her past and feels a connection to Emily Dickinson, a local celebrity of sorts.

This book just didn't do it for me. I kept feeling like the character Emily in the story-- in ma
Trisha
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
"He kissed her lifeline
and sealed his secrets there."

I thought this was a wonderful story - about the struggle to survive and the will to endure. I think the synopsis typically gives too much away so I just bought this one without reading it and I'm so glad I did. I let the story unfold without knowing the details and it was scary and real and so very sad.

I loved the interwoven story of Emily Dickinson and how poetry was a part of every chapter. I think it added a depth to the book that would ha
Linda Lipko
Well written, the author captured the angst of teen aged relationships and the drama, the mistakes, and the prices paid are all included in this story of 17 year old Emily Beam.

Emily developed a relationship with Paul, and all too quickly it became consuming. When Emily discovered she was pregnant and told Paul, she also noted that she was not going to keep the baby and was not going to stay in the relationship with Paul.

Unfortunately, Paul didn't handle it well and found a gun. He killed himsel
Layla (Between the Lines)
“It does not have to define who Emily is, was, or will be.”

This is a difficult book to review because it is a difficult book to read. Although it doesn't get into graphic detail, I want to put a content warning for suicide, depression, and abortion.

Emily has just experienced a traumatic event, and she suddenly finds herself in an all-girls boarding school where she is forced to confront her feelings on her own. She uses poetry to find her solace, so there are verses throughout the book that are
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Amount Read: roughly 30%

And We Stay isn't bad. I don't hate it and I debated with myself whether to actually DNF this one. The narration of the audiobook is good and I predict this would end up a 3 if I finished. At the same time, though, I have a lot of review books coming up, and not enough days on which to post them, and I'm under no obligation to review this. Plus, I really just do not care what happens to any of the characters. I don't hate them, but I'm not curious about them. They don't f
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
The cover is really good. But what I like most about this was the poetic writing style the book had going.All the while poems were intertwined with the story. It did get sad at times but also had moments when it was good. Like the growing friendship of Emily and her classmates. Reminded me a bit of another book, A Breath of Eyre, what with the literary theme. Quick but good read.
Kailyn Kausen
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
First posted here: https://kailynkausen.wordpress.com/20...

Full review below:
2/5 stars

I recently attended a writer's conference down in Santa Barbara. One thing we did there was workshop and the workshop mindset seems to be, "What is vital here? What is absolutely essential to this story and what can be removed? What is the reader going to skip over?" When reading And We Stay, I held these questions in my mind. What was essential to this story? I guess parts of it were important - a story was t
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: team-spades
I can see why this book was an award winner - it's that good. It will literally cause your jaw to drop when you discover the twist. I loved it and my students are loving it. It's very on trend with topics teens are concerned about and talking about. Great read and could open the door to several conversations about issues it covers.
Samantha (A History of Books)
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reviews
Book: And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard

Start Date: January 26th, 2014

Date Finished: January 28th, 2014

So I finally have an ARC review for you guys! Its not really advanced at this point because the book was published TODAY! I really wanted to get this book read and a review put up for the release date, and I made it in the nick of time with 15 minutes til midnight. I’d say thats cutting it close!

The book I’m review today is called And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard. This is her second book. She has another
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, netgalley
It's been quite a while since I read a book by a new-to-me author and immediately wanted to read everything they've written so far. I'm happy to say that this was the case with Jenny Hubbard's And We Stay and, upon finishing it, I quickly hotfooted it to Amazon to purchase a copy of her debut novel, Paper Covers Rock.

I fell in love with And We Stay from the very first page. Something about it spoke to me straight away, and I almost read the book in one single sitting. It's written beautifully, w
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Original review can be found here/.

And We Stay is such an inspirational and heart-wrenching book. It inspired me to purchase a book of Emily Dickinson poems and it showed me that the heart can heal but it will never be whole again. I know I cannot do a review that would ever do this book justice but I'm going to try.

Jenny Hubbard's writing is touching and captivating. She has a way of making a fictional book seem extremely realistic.

Emily Beam is such an amazing girl. She went through so much i
Taylor
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This book follows a girl named Emily Beam who is sent to a boarding school following the suicide of her boyfriend Paul. She meets many friends, and becomes best friends with her roommate K.T. As the story progresses, Emily learns how to cope with tragedy, how to open up to people, and how to continue her journey to recovery.
See the rest of my (spoiler free) review here: https://plentifulpages.wordpress.com/...
Crazy for Young A...: And We Stay, by Jenny Hubbard → Start Date: January 17th, 2017 12 16 Jan 23, 2017 03:53AM
Printz Award: And We Stay 1 5 Sep 29, 2015 06:44PM
2017 Reading Chal...: And We Stay 1 13 Feb 19, 2015 01:12PM
  • The White Bicycle (Wild Orchard, #3)
  • The Carnival at Bray
  • Heart to Heart: New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art
  • The Gospel of Winter
  • Icon of the Indecisive
  • The Scar Boys (The Scar Boys, #1)
  • We Are the Goldens
  • Summer of Yesterday
  • Jumped In
  • Dust of Eden
  • After the Death of Anna Gonzales
  • Complete Nothing (True Love, #2)
  • Many Stones
  • Six Feet Over It
  • Requiem: Poems of the Terezin Ghetto
  • Kiss of Broken Glass
  • Breakfast Served Anytime
  • Footfree & Fancyloose (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, #2)
A former high-school and college English teacher for 17 happy years, Jenny now practices what she preached: the discipline of rewriting, which, in her humble opinion, is the key to a writer’s success.

Jenny is represented by Jonathan Lyons of Curtis Brown, LTD, New York City.
“Because God didn't write the Bible. Men did, probably uneducated ones.” 11 likes
“Pall-- Oh, yes, she could feel it/even though the bullet/had never stabbed her skin./ The bright white heat/ burned at her core/ where two lives/ beat, and if he'd aimed/ there and pulled the trigger,/red would have crested/ like a broken dam/ over her hands/ as her last word rushed/ up to her throat-- Paul-- / a sound that took no time and also lifetimes.” 4 likes