Start by marking “First (Book 1 of Live Once Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
First (Book 1 of Live Once Trilogy)

(Live Once Trilogy #1)

Published May 13th 2013 by Red Adept Publishing (first published April 28th 2013)

Double Negative by C. Lee McKenzieRoseBlood by A.G. HowardThief of Lies by Brenda DrakeMy Lady Jane by Cynthia HandIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YASH 2016 Fall Edition
119 books — 156 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
1,313 books — 10,996 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of First (Book 1 of Live Once Trilogy)
Dana

First is an interesting Dystopian that really delivers some enticing moral quandaries. There was definitely a lot of inspiration taken from other popular Dystopians, and at first I found this distracting,(the beginning reminded me very strongly of The Hunger Games for example) but eventually I got used to it and it didn't bother me as much as the story progressed.

I loved that I hated Socrates, as I always appreciate when the writing is good enough to make me feeling strongly about a character,
Caitlin L
Wow... Just wow... Review will be up soon
megHan
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

This is a really interesting story. It's told from two points of view - Mira and Socrates. Socrates isn't just a First, he is the very first First, and he has chosen Mira to be his Second. Mira lives on a farm in Texas with her mom and brother, is "in love" with her best friend ... and never thought she would ever be chosen for this position. She is also not happy about it
E.A.
( I received this book free from the author through Goodreads group {All about YA}[R2R] in exchange for my honest review )

5 Stars!

I can't stop smiling. The ending, oh the ending, a cliff-hanger, but my god it was good, no it was exceptional.

From the first moment I started reading the first few words; I was hook, captured and I couldn't stop. The prologue was the perfect setup, and starts your mind down the confusing road of who's side is anyone really on.

The brutality and rawness made me angry
Sofia
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this book from the author, Chanda Stafford, in exchange for an honest review so here it is:

4 stars

Wow! This was pretty good, I must say.

Goodreads description: Seventeen-year-old Mira works on a farm in the ruins of Texas, along with all of the other descendants of the defeated rebels. Though she’s given her heart to Tanner, their lives are not their own.

Carrie
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
First is a dystopian young adult novel taking place in America approximately 500 years in the future. Mira is a 17 year old growing up in Texas which is home to the descendants of former rebels who had attacked the White House and Pentagon 200 years earlier. The Texans work farms to raise food for the free citizens but also offer up their children to become what is known as a second to the group of firsts who are immortal by taking over the bodies of their seconds.

When Socrates the first of the
Balbina
Shelves: dystopian-sci-fi
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Original review here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-first-blog-tour-review-30-amazon.html

First follows the story of a young woman named Mira. She lives and works on a farm in Texas. Life isn't great since Texas is in ruins. People who are descendents on the rebels of the Immigration War, well kids, are little more than slaves. The only way they can be free is to become a Second to a First. A Second is someone who is chosen by a First to be their replacement, of sorts. Mira has
Lissette
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For as long as she can remember, Mira has lived a difficult life. A descendant of the defeated Texan rebels, she's worked on a farm in the hopes of helping her family make ends meet. While things are grueling at best, it's the only life she knows. A life she hopes to make the most of with her beloved, Tanner, standing by her side. Yet all that chances when a First shows up intent on claiming one of the children as his Second.

When Mira is unexpectedly chosen, she's not exactly sure as to what to
Julie G
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Once again, I am battling to avoid spoilers. To avoid "Oooh, you are not going to believe that they ..." and "Wow! I can't believe that ..." and "Oh. My. Gosh! Did you see that coming?!"

With a post-apocalyptic feel, First is the story of what might happen when science surpasses morality. When a part of society forgets that we're all human. When an old man and a young woman question what has always been.

The story opens with Adrian, who has been chosen as a Second. It's not clear what that means,
Ellen
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chanda Stafford originally sent a copy of Firsts to me to read before I beta read for her next novel. However, while reading, I enjoyed this novel so much that I asked the author myself if I could have permission to review this novel.
I'm absolutely thrown back at how amazing this book is! It's different from any other YA dystopians that I have read before. It may have a corrupted government with rebels, but it also questions immortality, a person's free will, and sacrificing a human life. Is it
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

In a post-apocalyptic America Texans are no longer free. After they rose up against the government 200 years ago and bombed the White House and Pentagon they have been reduced to slaves for their treason. Raised on farms like cattle they are tattooed with a bar code and must do all of the work that their betters don’t want to do. In addition, children of a certain age must stand on line when a First shows up at a farm looking for a Second. The Texans don’t have a clue what being a Second
Kari Anderson
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From Goodreads.com:

When Socrates, a powerful First, chooses Mira as his Second, she is thrust into the bewildering world of the rich and influential. Will, a servant assigned to assist her, whispers of rebellion, love, and of a darker fate than she’s ever imagined.

With time running out, Mira must
Kelly Smith Reviews
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dystopian young adult novels are a dime a dozen. There. I said it. You can't go through the Teen section of Barnes And Noble without seeing even more dystopian fiction than paranormal these days.
Joining the ranks of The Hunger Games and Divergent is the novel First by Chanda Stafford, Book One in the Live Once Trilogy.
500 years in the future, America is a disturbing place, where the state of Texas once rebelled and is now a slave state. Their only hope of greatness is if one of their children
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This was a quick story that contained a number of heavy themes, like slavery and multiple lives, and the ethics of harvesting bodies. Even though it sounds serious, and some of the ideas were scary and horrifying, the story itself was quite entertaining.

Mira, and even Socrates, were easy to sympathize with for very different reasons. Mira was a slave who was chosen to be a Second. It’s not the glamourous role that she was taught growing up, but she handles the changes to her life with grace and
Yellagirlgc
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher for my honest opinion.
Socrates is the first if the Firsts. People throughout history chosen to live life after life by taking new bodies because they have knowledge the world feels needs to live on. He comes to Chesaning farm in Texas to pick a new Second from amongst the kids. Since Texans have been enslaved due to actions their ancestors made these farms are where the Firsts choose their new bodies from.
Mira doesnt want to be
Donita Luz
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves Dystopian Fiction
Thank you to the author, Chanda Stafford for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Be patient. It was a good story, with unique plots and exceptional twists. However, it took me a long time to get over with some of the chapters, but I promise you that everything will get better..

Story:
I was excited to read this just by reading its summary. I've always love dystopian book for I am always fascinated of the possible horrible outcome of our society. Don't get me wrong, I
Nectaria
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.8 stars out of 5!

Edit: 24/7/15
Thanks to me for requesting a hard copy of First in my school library, we now have one and I saw it first hand this morning! I can't wait until I see it being borrowed!!

I was given a free PDF copy by the author from the group All About YA in exchange for an honest review.

First by Chanda Stafford follows 17 year- old Mira who works on a farm with her family in Texas.

Socrates, a First; chooses her to be his Second. Being a Firsts'- Second is
Laurie Treacy
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I attended a conference recently and heard once again that dystopian is no longer "in." Okay, I thought, since I was reading one on my Kindle that very day. All I know is I like the genre and if publishers and authors are going to make their stories available, I will read it if it interests me. First by Chanda Stafford is such a book.

The futuristic world of First is nuanced. Told in dual points-of-view by a young girl, Mira, and a wiser, powerful older man, Socrates, we first see Mira at home.
Queenielyn
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: giftedbooks, ebooks
My first thought after reading the ending: I am doomed. That was some ending right there! What is going to happen next? OMG

**The ebook was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

If you think there's more to The Hunger Games, you might want to move on to the next book and that is, First! Most of the time while reading the book, it reminds me of The Hunger Games. At the beginning of First, readers are introduced to Mira's cousin, Adrian. Later part of the story, it takes off to
Brittney
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***I received a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review***
I am amazed by the depth of the characters in this story. Normally I hate to compare book series since I feel that every author is their own person that that each story is unique, but I kinda felt that this book reminded me of The Hunger Games series because of the amount of care Mira had for her brother and her willingness to go to the extreme to assure his safety. This book is a perfect read for any fan of girl vs majority.
Yi Le
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Told in dual point of views, the story begins with farmgirl Mira being chosen as Second by the first of the First, Socrates. Because their ancestors, Texans, rebelled against the country, their descendants are not acknowleged as citizens and their only chance to be Absolved, meaning that they are pardoned, is to be chosen as a Second. This position is an honor, but the Seconds are never seen again after being chosen. Mira doesn't want to go, she has to take care of her little brother, Max, and ...more
Der
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Even though I rated this 4 stars, you should know that this book was AMAZING!

What should I do? How should I say it? I feel so empty.
This book, story, plot, twist, whatever it may be, was just so...amazing.

I was confused with the first chapter. The history of their world also left me hanging. After reading about 7 chapters and finally having enough understanding of what was going on, I went back to read the first chapter. It
Gayatri
*This was given to me by the author for a honest review*
This was a great book. I thought it was extremely original and different from other books I have read. Its interesting and a very different take on a dystopian future. Texans were rebels. Therefore they were punished. They had no choice but, to be seconds to firsts who are apparently immortal. However, it is found out that they kill these seconds to transports souls from one body to another. Unfortunately, for this world I did not find that
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
Review: FIRST

Tolstoy wrote in ANNA KARENINA: "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” He may not have had the benefit of contemporary Dystopian fiction, but I do, and I will borrow his edict, with a difference:
All Dystopia are alike; yet all Dystopias are different.

I believe this to be accurate in fact (witness, for example, Chairman Mao' s China, Nazi Germany, Stalinist Soviet, Pol Pot' s Cambodia, Pinochet' s Chile; not to mention Franco's Spain, and
Roseena Peralta
Honestly, when I first read the description of the book it was just amazed me, as I read the book, it begun to be dull and just was not capturing my reading taste. However, I continued to read it, and I have mix feelings about it still. Mira, 17 is very protective of her brother, she is kind of the mother to him. She works on a farm, which is confusing because they are rebels. She is pick as a second, and it is consider a great honor. In a way she is a slave because the seconds are given a ...more
roxi Net
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pretty crazy interesting!

Mira, a 17-year-old Texan farmhand lives in an age after the Texans rebelled against the government and are treated as an inferior class. A class that has children chosen to be Seconds to centuries old Firsts that need a continuous supply of young bodies. When Mira is chosen, by Socrates, she leaves her world behind, not knowing what kind of "Privilege" she's been given - only that something doesn't feel right.

Told by both Mira, a strong-willed and intelligent young
Lady The Owls
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freedom

I was not expecting anything that happened in this story. I usually can feel what would come next. Very well written with a lot of Sufi future world things happening. Kept me wanting to keep on reading til the end. Chandra did a wonderful job of creating this future world & keeping me entertained & wanting more.
Jackie
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an amazing introduction to the world of Mira. Her life is one that isn’t easy. Couldn’t put it down. Loved every bit.
Angela C
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy
(Actual rating: 2.5 stars)

A free copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Have you ever thought about where society would be if Mother Theresa had had another 80 years to continue her humanitarian work and minister to the needs of the poor? If Leonardo da Vinci had had more time to study and invent and create? If Albert Einstein had had another lifetime in which to contribute to the field of theoretical physics?

In First, humanity has figured out "a way
All About YA : This topic has been closed to new comments. R2R: First (CLOSED) 20 50 May 21, 2015 01:41AM
Addicted to YA: Reviewers wanted for YA dystopian 22 93 Mar 01, 2015 04:04AM

• First Magic: A Dystopian Fantasy (Faerene Apocalypse Book 4)
  • Loyal Magic: A Dystopian Fantasy (Faerene Apocalypse Book 3)
  • The Magic Compass: An Urban Fantasy Action and Adventure story (The Adventures of Maggie Parker Book 1)
  • Stockings and Spells (Vampire Knitting Club #4)
  • Crochet and Cauldrons (Vampire Knitting Club #3)
  • Purls and Potions (Vampire Knitting Club #5)
  • Prophecy's Child: Book 2 of the Broken Throne Saga
  • Love Me Dead (Lilah Love, #3)
  • Turbulent (Days of Want #1)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon Book 1)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • The Elemental Trial (The Faerie Race Book 2)
  • The Legacy (Slayer Academy #1)
  • The Doomsday Trial (The Faerie Race Book 3)
  • Dark Sun Rising (The Continuous War, #1)
  • Bite Of Winter (Fae's Captive, #3)
  • Beyond The Mountain (Fae's Captive, #4)
Chanda Stafford teaches middle and high school English. She loves traveling and currently lives in Michigan with her husband and a menagerie of rescued dogs and cats.

When she’s not reading or writing, Chanda enjoys old zombie movies, authentic Italian food, and comic books.

Live Once Trilogy (3 books)
  • Imposter (Live Once #2)
  • Harbinger (Live Once Trilogy, #3)