Start by marking “The Secret (The Fear Street Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Secret (The Fear Street Saga, #2)

The Secret

(The Fear Street Saga #2)

Buried Evil

What is the secret of Fear Street?

Why has its horror lasted so long?

Ezra Fier wants to find out. He searches for the answer among the rotting bones in the ghostly town of Wickham. But he find only betrayal and death.

Elizabeth and Kate are in love with the same boy. How can they know that they too are caught by the evil that will haunt this family forever?
Published September 1st 1993 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret

Start your review of The Secret (The Fear Street Saga, #2)
Maliha Tabassum Tisha
This is much worse than The Betrayal . Just BORED the hell out of me! Nothing interesting happens for more than two-thirds. And the rest isn't even that good to bother talking about. Besides, the dialogues made me cringe!! Although I felt sad seeing all the tragedy that befell the innocents of the Fier family bcoz of the curse, I didn't really like any of the characters in this book.

Generally, I rate such books 1 star. But this one I'm granting another (full or) half star just for the sake of
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
More bodies for Stine!

He also has this thing for wanting to shove young characters together in marriage after, like, five days of knowing each other. I don’t know if he was trying to make it period-specific or if he was just fueling the plot (and it was part of the plot, you know, the only way to end the curse was to have a Goode and a Fier marry, duh) but there was a lot of WE MUST MARRY going on here.

And more bodies. Young bodies, too. Age is not a discriminating factor for Stine. Neither is g
Drucilla
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fear-street
I didn't have any serious problems with this book. I liked the way the feud is handled as it's passed down from generation to generation. In the beginning section of the book, the idea behind the curse seems to be more of a self-fulfilling curse, which would be a great layer to add. But then it seems to be that the Goode family can only find the Fiers if they are in possession of the necklace. I hope this becomes a little more clear in the last volume. (view spoiler) ...more
Helen Pugsley
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Groan. Just groan. Seriously considering not even reading the third.
Cassi
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh. I liked the first one better. This one just felt like filler. They were trying to get the characters from A to B and it ended up being a bit all over the place.
Anna
Sep 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
How does this plot hole ridden pile of shit have a 3.94 average?
Lauren
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-blog
Forty-five years have passed since Benjamin Fier had an innocent girl and her mother burned at the stake. Forty-five years have passed since Matthew Fier robbed the girl’s father of everything he had with false promises. Forty-five years have passed since a curse was cast from betrayal and a mourning father’s grief. Following his great uncle’s notes Ezra Fier seeks the last of the Goodes to have revenge for his family’s downfall. Another link in the chain of vengeance is forged.

The Secret is R.
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

I continued on with my favorite Fear Street trilogy in between other books this week. It was a nice break to relive the saga of the Fier/Fear legacy. Picking up with Ezra Fier’s son, Jonathan, we find the remaining Fier’s traveling from village to village in order to find the Goode family.

In the first part, they return to the small village of Wickham, where the horror first began. But they find the village in ruins and the last of the villagers r
Manda
Nomadic SA Chick's Book Reviews

Review
I loved this series as a teenager. I probably read the trilogy a hundred times in my teens. I don't know what it was about these books, but I was hooked. Reading them 10 years later as an adult I gave myself a migraine from all the eye rolling I did. I couldn't believe all the cheesy romance lines and easy swooning these ladies did. I mean good lord, a man said hi to these ladies and they wet their knickers with the excitement of wedding planning. It's la
kylajaclyn
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Stine sat down to write this one, and he was like, “Well, if they weren’t confused before, they sure as hell are now.”

It’s a tragedy in three parts. And, much like the first book, it is just Goodes and Fiers loving each other and trying to break the curse on their families and failing miserably at this task.

So Ezra from the last book is now a man. And he has a son, Jonathan, who can’t understand why his dad goes around being pissed about the Goodes 24/7. In fact, Ezra uproots their whole family
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

And we continue on with Nora telling us the story about the Goodes and the Fears (aka Fiers).

The first story starts off with Ezra Fier, who has his own family now, as he continues to search for the Goodes to exact his revenge on them. Oh no, he has not forgotten how William Goode killed pretty much his entire family and drove his aunt Mary insane (see last book for more details 😉). He is now dragging his wife and kids around looking for the Goodes until they arrive
Yuthika
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ah the nostalgia! Reading R L Stine again brought back memories. While it was refreshing finding out where the 'fear' in Fear Street all started, the narrative style did not enchant me, to say the least.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I really liked this book, it was a good installment in the Saga and continues the story told in the first book. If you can, try to get the omnibus edition of this book like I did so you can read this story along with the others as one.
Tori
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
The weakest of the trilogy...but it's no bore! Worth a read if you're reading the trilogy or if you love Stine.
Alyson
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as I remember. More like a bunch of short stories that would have been more interesting if they'd been fleshed out.
Haley Petre
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Beautiful art work on cover, doesn't have much to do with the story. Two stars for nostalgia's sake.

So cheesy at times I couldn't help but laugh. Baby me sure did love these books!
Abbie
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pocketbooks, horror
I miss this type of book.
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Annie Galbraith
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 356
The desire struck for me to read a few R. L. Stine books and see if they were as gripping and spooky as I remember. I, like many many others, grew up loving getting spooked by Stine. With that being said, I did enjoy the first book in the trilogy more than this one. This felt like filler and I wasn't impressed with the story line overall. Don't get me wrong, there were some little elements and parts of the story that I really enjoyed and thought were scary and eerie. But overall this felt pretty ...more
Daniel Stalter
The Secret continues the bloody rampage of the Fier family curse into a new century, but it starts to suffer from some classic middle-book problems. In fact, the 100-year jump in the middle of the book made it seem like maybe the saga was planned as two books and later got cut up into three. There were plenty of gruesome moments to enjoy, even though I was continuously frustrated by the motives of the characters. The love stories started to feel a bit stale. It seemed like the only thing that th ...more
Mia
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, young-adult

The second installment of the Fear Street Saga is broken in 3 stories, the first two about a grown Ezra and his ill fated family and the last about Simon Fier (soon to be Fear) and his sisters pre-Shadyside.

While I feel like the first one was better paced and held my attention longer, this one seemed like it was mostly a rehashing of the same story with different characters. Fear and Goode fall in love or "fall in love" then a Fear or a Goode kills the other and the love is ruined. Was
Tamara
Not as good as the first one. It was uninspired, cringey at times but it had it's creepy moments and I really liked the part when we get inside Frank's thoughts while he's playing chess with Simon and he ends his macabre plans with the checkmate, that was cool. It was sad that the only good Fiers were all butchered and the remaining ones are gonna be so freaking messy, apparently. I would have probably loved this back when I was 13 tho. But you know, I love family feud stories regardless even if ...more
Jenni
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This one wasn't as good as the first one but I enjoyed following along with the next generations of the Fiers versus the Goodes. My biggest pet peeve with the books is that every teenager seems to fall in love with the first new stranger they see and are ready to marry them. One of them met the mysterious stranger and was already debating marriage in her head by the next day. It's such a similar story everytime with just a few small twists.
Samantha
A pretty typical Fear Street book really! Teenagers doing things they shouldn't be doing, an evil curse that's wiping out entire groups of people, you know, just normal FS stuff haha. It's interesting to see how this curse supposedly came about, and how it followed the Fear (Fier, wtf) family through the generations.
Serena
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This trilogy isn’t super intriguing to me as the regular Fear Street books but I guess it’s cool to know the lore and reason why all the bad stuff happens on Fear Street in the first place. I’m just glad I finally got this trilogy over with, I bought each book separately at different times at the thrift store so they were read out of order.
Sean E.D. Kerr
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Re-reading these books is really just a fun trip down memory lane for me. I did love these very much growing up. It is for young teenagers, so the storylines move along rather quickly which makes for a nice quick read.
Zuleima Salazar
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s always interesting to hear about the Fier’s and Goodes! Stine, really makes you go back and forth on feeling bad for both families! And it’s interesting to see how each generation gets affected by this evil curse.
Lexi
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Kept my attention like the first one but again i just didn’t really like it. There were a few shocking moments but after reading the first boom things became predictable. Really loosing interest but i’m gonna read the next one and see how it goes.
Gabriel Mero
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The saga continues with more betrayal, tragedy, and horror. This one was slightly shorter than the last, but it was just as engaging. Despite the often simplistic style of writing, I cannot put these books down.
Andrés
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror, kept
This is a classic of my childhood. I read this series instead of Goosebumps. I still have my old copy!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Short & Shivery: Thirty Chilling Tales
  • Snowflakes (Hush collection)
  • Trick or Treat
  • Remember Me (Remember Me, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer #4
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • The Midnight Club
  • Whisper of Death
  • All That Glitters (Landry, #3)
  • Pearl in the Mist
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • In Waves
  • Ruby (Landry, #1)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • Tyna of the Lake (Gamayun Tales Vol. 3)

R. L. Stine b

The Fear Street Saga (4 books)
  • The Betrayal (The Fear Street Saga, #1)
  • The Burning (The Fear Street Saga, #3)
  • Betrayal: The Betrayal; The Secret; The Burning (The Fear Street Saga Trilogy, #1-3)