Start by marking “Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights (Less Valued Knights, #1)” as Want to Read:

Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights

(Less Valued Knights #1)

Whimsical and poignant, Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights tells the story of Thomas Farmer who dreams of becoming a knight, sets out to save his brother from the hands of an evil Baron, and uncovers a plot that threatens Camelot itself. Along the way, he befriends a series of misfits including an allegedly reformed evil wizard, a shrinking giante ...more
Published March 8th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 6th 2013)

Start your review of Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights (Less Valued Knights, #1)
Petrik
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Light hearted fantasy
Shelves: owned-ebooks
You can get this great book for FREE by subscribing to the author’s newsletter here: http://liamperrin.com/free-sir-thomas/

A break. We all need a break from our daily activities once in a while; I got mine from this book.

Let me elaborate on this. If you’ve been following my reviews, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that adult fantasy/sci-fi/historical fiction is my favorite books to read. Most of the times, the plot surrounding these books are full of war, magic, violence, death, politics, betray
Samir
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, I like it. Another!
Wol
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was an absolute delight from beginning to end. I have always loved it when a novel focuses on the characters who would be overlooked by most writers and that’s exactly what Sir Thomas does. It’s absolutely packed full of witticisms, wry observations and oddly thought-provoking asides. Thomas is overlooked even within his own family, who favor his older brother. William has been imprisoned for the heinous crime of suggesting to the local baron that perhaps hoarding their village’s suppl ...more
Esme
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine, BookWol (known for her famous fantasy book drinks – go check it out if you haven’t! https://tomeandtankard.com ) tipped me off to this book, describing it as Pratchett-esque. She liked it so much I was inundated with silly quotes and tidbits from the book.

So, naturally, I had to pick this one up. This is a shorter review because the book itself is pretty short.

It’s a rather simple tale, there’s a village and the land around it is dying, there’s barely any crops and the livestoc
Liam Perrin
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 11 to 111+
Hi Everyone :)

Goodreads suggests that authors go ahead and rate their own books and then use the review section to say something about the book that readers can't find out from the other blurbs and biography sections. I thought I'd share the impetus for this (hopefully first) book (of many in the series).

I was reading some of the original Arthurian corpus a decade or so ago and I came across this paragraph:

"Know that there were three kinds of tables there. The first was the Round Table. King Art
Helen
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a witty, feel-good tale. Perrin has an almost conversational prose which makes you feel a part of the story. His characters are fleshed out and you feel quite attached to them. His use of vocabulary is brilliant, I learnt new words.

Book two has recently been released, I will be reading it.
K.S.
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, entertaining, fun book...a coming-of-age comic fantasy with hints of William Goldman and Terry Pratchett. Well-paced, with a great cast of lovable characters. Recommended for anyone looking for a light read.
Adam
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel, fantasy, comedy
When a hero saves the town or rescues the princess, the accolades come from far and wide. The hero's name is recorded in the annals of history, and his namesake is revered for generations to come. But what about the other men or women behind the scenes that have risked life and limb to ensure the hero's victories? In many cases, they might be the ones most responsible for saving the day, but are never honored or shown the respect they deserve.

Until now.

Liam Perrin's "Sir Thomas the Hesitant and
Carole-Ann
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So utterly entertaining and brilliant and funny and thoughtful (I have a number of 'quotes' I'd like to repeat!) and (Sir) Thomas Farmer is lovely :)

I simply adore all Thomas is subjected (!) to; but he rises above it. His friends are heroic (Philip, especially - but Dedric, Edgar and Ox are there too!) Oh, and not forgetting Pyralis (a reformed (?) wizard), and Gorgella, a redeemed giant :)

I love how his love/regard for his family (Mum, Dad, Grandma & Elizabeth) is important; how his friends m
Steve Thomas
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-fantasy
Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights by Liam Perrin is a story about the unsung heroes of Camelot. These are the knights who do the legwork and investigate ne’er-do-wells so the more famous knights can sweep in and hog the glory. They’re the ones who fight in a mock tournament smashing eggs on each other’s heads so the more prominent knights look all the more impressive when they joust. They aren’t the heroes of the story. They’re here to make the heroes look good. It’s r ...more
Rusty
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-read, own-print
I was sent a digital copy of this book in return for a fair and honest review. I had heard some very positive reviews and I was very excited to read this.

Over the past 18 months I have read quite a few books that were more dark and grim. While they often have compelling conflicts or struggles where the characters have with difficult choices, I can get weighed emotionally after a while with grmidark. That is why I was very eager to dive into this book.

To simply call this book fun, light-hearted o
Shae
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Sir Thomas the Hesitant?" "Aye," said Thomas hesitantly, "I suppose that's me."

Absolutely loved this knightly tale, with all its humour and goodness - perfect distraction from the misery of a Winter flu! Really engaging cast of characters including such gems as a 'formerly' evil wizard and a giantess with self-esteem issues.

Really appreciated all the positive underlying messages;

"Let me tell you a secret Thomas, the first step in becoming something is deciding you are the thing already. The res
Cari
Remarkable.

There are different types of heroes. The most common is the hero who's brave and goes looking for opportunities to prove himself. Another is the hero who's not very brave (and he knows it) and perhaps not very skilled, but when he finds himself in a situation where something needs to be done, well, he does it. Not because he's brave, but because it's right.

Both kinds of heroes feature in Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights, but our protagonist is Thomas.

And Th
Tam
Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights was, quite simply, fun. Set in Arthurian times, this is the story of Thomas Farmer of Fogbottom as he adventures outside of home on his quest to become a knight.

Setting

Sir Thomas meets and interacts with a lot of legendary figures from Arthurian England. The characters are parodied which participates to the humour in the book. The whole book is spaced over the course of a week or two while King Arthur and Guinevere are marrying each ot
Tnkw01
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story. All I could think was "am I sure this is not Terry Prachett". It was funny, heart warming, enjoyable and had a very satisfying ending. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
Brandon
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, light-hearted read. We, as the reader, don't get dragged into the trivial details on the last hundred years of history of the region that produced the cloth that made the cloak being worn by the guard that walked past the main character on the street. That was refreshing, along with the tongue-in-cheek, laugh at yourself type of humor with a genuinely likeable and relatable character.

Definitely worth a read.
Kelley Ceccato
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
A light, pleasant read; a funny and good-natured book. I enjoyed making the acquaintance of the likable misfits of the title.
Stmierden
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sanity is overated" said Pyralis.

This is a review of Sir Thomas the Hesitant and the Table of Less Valued Knights (from here simply 'Sir Thomas') by Liam Perrin. I've read the book just in time as the sequel, Faycalibur is planned to launch in February!

Sir Thomas is about, well, Thomas, who sets out to become a knight. I would probably describe it as a comedy, although it is not without its serious, dramatic moments.

When you write comedic fantasy you will inevitably be compared with Terry Pratc
Ciaran
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable fun read, had me cracking up more than I expected, well worth checking out.
Dianthaa
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Witty and heartwarming

This book feels like a warm hug from a dear friend. It left me feeling so good. Take on the world, start a rebellion, do anything you set your mind to good. Anyone in need of a pick me up, read this book now. My only real complaint is that there aren't 10 more volumes to follow up.

It's classic tale of a young man setting off on a great quest to prove his worth and save his better-at-everything-brother. Except he's not really all that sure going is such a good idea, and
Kristen
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here on my blog!

I really liked this book right from the start. It’s often quite hilarious (in a faintly reminiscent way to Monty Python and the Holy Grail) to start, but nevertheless is plotted out well, with fun characters who I had a great time reading about, and tells a fun, original, and rather unique (for a story within the realm of King Arthur) story.

The story follows Thomas Farmer, who is… a farmer (gasp!) in the village of Fogbottom. The Baron of Fogbottom is letting all t
Jonathan
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a First Reads contest.

I found this book to be a very entertaining read. Written by someone who has clearly read many Arthurian works, this book tells the story of an original character, Sir Thomas the Hesitant. Interspersed throughout the tale are many references to Arthurian literature; however, you do not need to have read any stories about King Arthur in order to enjoy this book.

This book has a large array of interesting characters, both original (like Thomas' family), and
Steve
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A marvellous, light hearted Fantasy tale for all ages. Easy to read, wittily written, this is the classic Camelot with knights in plate armour, tournaments, Merlin, Arthur and Guinevere. Along the lines of Monty Python and the Holy Grail but with less mud.
The hero is a peasant lad, Thomas, who stumbles upon knighthood in a hesitant way. But he’s not an idiot, just inexperienced in the ways of knighthood, and he pursues a genuinely heroic path in this tale doing just as well in his own way as any
Mick Gillies
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story of innocence, blind heroism and the need to succeed. From the opening paragraph I was drawn to this Arthurian tale of the adventures of Thomas.
Such skilled writing enveloping clever wit, old age story telling and character building all into a must read bundle.
All the adventures are so original and the band of characters so true to everyday life and how simple events have more "spiderweb" connotations.
This book has gained first choice as a bedtime story for my children. Aft
Taylor
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not to say that I didn't have high hopes for this book (after all, it does have some great reviews), but I must admit, I was blown away by how awesome it was! Others have described its merits already, so I'll just say that the characters were memorable and unique, the story was well-paced, and Liam Perrin is amazingly clever. Like, Pratchett and Gaiman clever. Sir Thomas the Hesistant is definitely one of my favorite books I've read this year, and I can't wait to see what other stories Liam Perr ...more
Tom Loock
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, comedy, fantasy
(amended 12 Sept 2014)
Wonderful book, great cast of characters, nice 'modernish' take on Camelot (view spoiler), that might, but shouldn't upset Arthurian Traditionalists.
Oh, and it's funny in a unique way - for those who insist on comparisons, Pratchett rather than Douglas Adams or Tom Holt.

I was delighted to le
Jon Daley
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The author's sense of humor hasn't changed over the years (and that's a good thing), and this book was quite enjoyable.

There were some good phrases sprinkled throughout the book that were not particularly relevant to the story, but were funny and not distracting, and so were good additions to the story.

Most stories around the feudal times focus on the big shots, and it was neat to hear about the common people and what things they might have thought about.
Charlene Miller
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fun read. Would highly recommend when you are looking for a whimsical, quick read with a moral.
beentsy
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good story and the characters just make it absolutely perfect, Thomas the Hesitant and Philip the Disadvantaged are just inspired.
Shalini Nemo
What a fun, optimistic book. Excellent read as a palate cleanser between heavier works.

• Orconomics (The Dark Profit Saga, #1)
  • Son of a Liche (The Dark Profit Saga, #2)
  • Kings of Paradise (Ash and Sand #1)
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • Never Die
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • They Mostly Come Out at Night (Yarnsworld, #1)
  • Hero Forged (Ethereal Earth, #1)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • Those Brave, Foolish Souls from the City of Swords (Yarnsworld #3)
  • Balam, Spring
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • Bound (Book of the Ancestor, #2.5)
  • Klondaeg The Monster Hunter (Klondaeg #1)
Liam Perrin has been roughly geosynchronous for more than a few decades and likely will remain so. Most recently, he orbits the center of Earth from a position outside of Phoenix, Arizona where he tries to avoid high speed collisions with his wife, one daughter, a miniature Australian shepherd, a Russian tortoise, and a cat which turned up uninvited.

AWARDS
Liam is no stranger to storytelling. He wo

Less Valued Knights (2 books)
  • Faycalibur (Less Valued Knights, #2)