Start by marking “I Could Chew on This: And Other Poems by Dogs” as Want to Read:
I Could Chew on This: And Other Poems by Dogs

I Could Chew on This: And Other Poems by Dogs

A New York Times bestseller? Oh, you know the dogs weren't going to let the cats get away with that! This canine companion to I Could Pee on This, the beloved volume of poems by cats, I Could Chew on This will have dog lovers laughing out loud. Doggie laureates not only chew on quite a lot of things, they also reveal their creativity, their hidden motives, and their eterna ...more
Published July 30th 2013 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about I Could Chew on This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Could Chew on This

Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Transfer by Veronica RothThe House of Hades by Rick RiordanFangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
2013 Book
190 books — 167 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanThe Cuckoo's Calling by Robert GalbraithThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Read or Like to Read
271 books — 425 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of I Could Chew on This: And Other Poems by Dogs
karen
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
this is the dog companion-book to I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats

which i have reviewed here

this is roughly the same kind of thing, where dogs finally get a chance to express themselves through poetry, with accompanying photos. i have reprinted a few of my favorites, with my own accompanying photos. by which i mean, i grabbed 'em from les internets.

time to enjoy!!!

DOORBELL

THAT WAS THE DOORBELL!
SOMEONE RANG THE DOORBELL!
SOMEONE'S AT THE DOOR!
I CAN HEAR THEM AT THE DOOR!
I CAN'T WAIT TO
F
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2017, non-fiction
loved this
Read again this year :) Still love it
Montzalee Wittmann
Terrific and fun!

This book has the canine mind and behavior completely! I giggled at many of these. My favorite was "Hello", I still giggle thinking about it! Great book!
GoldGato
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, pets, year-round
These 'poems' by doggies had me laughing but also made me very appreciative of the tail-waggers who approach each day as though it's the best day yet. That's what I love about canines, they don't sweat the bigger issues. Better to focus on tattered yellow balls than to worry about mortgage payments.

We were wolves once
Wild and wary
Then we noticed you had sofas.

While I do not currently own live with a dog, I enjoyed the poems in this nifty little collection. From meditations on being un-leashed t
Kim Baccellia
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a totally adorable collection of poems told from a dog's perspective. The poems are short but have a loaded punch. Also the photos with each poem are just perfect. I couldn't help but smile more than a few times reading such poems as 'Unleashed':

I'm lost.

Just perfect!

Florencia
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-and-ish, poetry
After the awesome book that enlightened me about cats' behavior and intentions, I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats (that I reviewed here), I had to read this one. I had dogs and cats, and I love them equally. I mean, there are some prejudices about dogs being dumber than cats, supported by media everywhere.

description

But I don't believe that, really...
Anyway, lovely book of poems. It has four chapters that help you to understand your furry friend, a little bit more. There are some insightful poin
Donald Armfield
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, poetry
BARK! BARK! bark BARK bArK

oh Sorry was leaving a review in dog dialect. This had me laughing and I'm not even a dog lover.

Taken from book: "Special Word"

There's a special word
We dogs have
To express our great pleasure
Upon seeking out favorite person
It's "bark"
but be careful
For "bark"
Also means 742,000 other things
So it's all really about the context.
Hester
I must admit, I am a cat person, I understand them better than I do dogs, but at the same time cats are still a bewildering mystery to me. I do have a little dog friend, Bert, whom I adore. So to better understand the mind of a dog and maybe even Bert I had to read this book full of dog written poetry, and I am impressed.

Dogs are deep and complex thinkers but due to their good humor and loyal nature, they at times can come across as simple minded.

While cats can be vengeful and full of spite and
Ina
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, poetry
3.5 stars - I wanted to give this three stars, but it made me smile, so I gave it an extra half star
I Dropped a Ball

I dropped a ball in your lap
It's time to play
I just put a ball in your lap
So it's time to play
See the ball I placed in your lap?
That means it's time to play
You can have your emergency appendectomy
Any other day
But I dropped a ball in your lap
And now it's time to play.
This was such a feel-good short read. It took me less than an hour to get through this short book (closer to thir
Selina Young
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very sweet collection of poems "written" by insightful dogs. Made me smile.
Nikki
Aug 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really liked the concept of the book but the execution left a lot to be desired. The poems overall were low in quality and probably only took mere moments to put together each one. Another issue I had was while I have had dogs all of my life, I suppose I do not anthropomorphize in the same way the author does. I hold my dogs to higher standards than the author appears to, honestly. (Although my one less intelligent dog did ring more true for the book.) I did, however, laugh a few times and lov ...more
Christina
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Short and sweet, but fun way to start the new reading year. Sure, they were not epic poems, but sometimes life is simple. Most people loved and enjoyed it, read a few reviewers thinking the poems were flat. Those people should get over themselves and have some fun!
Kim Stokely
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Received this on Christmas morning and had the best time reading it out loud. Although some of the poems were serious, and frankly, out of place, most were light-hearted. Many had us rolling with laughter! Fun and imaginative look at life from a dog's point of view.
Melissa Wehunt
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Super fast read, super cute, and the whole time you'll be nudging whoever is near you and telling them about how that's what your dog does too!
Melissa
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!
Nathan Albright
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2018
Although the previous books [1] that I read from the author dealt with cats and this one deals with dogs, reading a book like this a familiar and enjoyable sort of experience.  Once you read a few books (especially books you happen to like) by an author, there is an ease that one feels because of a familiarity with their style and their approach, and this author is definitely a consistent one in seeking to present animals as much as possible from within their own head through empathy.  It takes ...more
Julia
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book caught my attention since who wouldn't mind to hear poetry from the mind of a puppy-dog since we don't seem to credit them with so much besides slavish obedience and unlimited love that looks past our worst selves. Furthermore if we aren't catering to those particular thoughts than we are giving them very little credit with the terrible language that so many find worthwhile to give animals in the modern day memes.

Fortunately for dog-lovers this is one book that you will enjoy and wan
Megan Green
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of my library's summer reading challenge and I'm glad I did because I wouldn't ordinarily pick up a book of poetry. But this book was cute, funny, and heartwarming and I'm glad I read it!
Amelia
A real gem, clearly written by someone who knows animals inside out and has a good technical grasp of poetry writing to boot. Absolutely hilarious - I must try and find the cat verrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggfsdssffffffffQewwwwwa <---- Annie's contribution - she's got mad keyboard skillz.

Julia
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes humor, poetry, dogs
I'm a HUGE dog lover and picked this book because of the cover, and I'm so very glad I did! Even though it was a quick read, I though it was fun and heartwarming. Every single dog I've ever had, or known through other family members and friends was in this book. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves dogs.
Liliya
Give me something powerful
Give me something noble
Give me something memorable
Give me something
To carry through all my years
With back straight and chin held high
But then you ask your three-year-old daughter
“Why don’t you name the new puppy?”
And I’m so screwed that I could cry
Joy Gerbode
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a book of poems written by dogs ... absolutely hilarious. A quick and easy read, and something to lift your spirits when you are down. And if you own dogs, you'll recognize all of these characteristics. Very fun read.
Tracey
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious book of poetry from the dog's perspective, written by the same guy who wrote I Could Pee on This : And Other Poems by Cats. Read 'em both and weep...with laughter.
Antonella
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun poetry book for dog lovers.
Nina Pantelic
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you have a dog you will love this. The poems are spot on.
Megan
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Freakin adorable. You can't go wrong with a book of pictures of dogs and puppies (oh and some cute poems too). You just can't.
Gina
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adorable and hilarious!
Tanya
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book of poems is incredibly cute. It's written from a dogs perspective. This book would be great for dog lovers, animal lovers or anyone looking for a quick cute read
Yulia Tell
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Neat little book that would make you laugh - how true it is to what your doggo might be thinking on daily basis. Would've enjoyed a bit more rhyming of poems though.
Lisa
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
What a great gift!! Giggled out loud so many times. FUN.

• Sorry I Pooped in Your Shoe (and Other Heartwarming Letters from Doggie)
  • Sad Animal Facts
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • Cats are Weird and More Observations
  • Stop Meowing and Go the F*ck to Sleep
  • How to Be a Cat: (Cat Books for Kids, Cat Gifts for Kids, Cat Picture Book)
  • Sticks
  • What I Lick Before Your Face ... and Other Haikus By Dogs
  • I'm NOT just a Scribble...
  • Dog Shaming
  • Fowl Language: The Struggle Is Real
  • Grumpy Cat: No-It-All: Everything You Need to No
Francesco Marciuliano...
Pens the comic strips Sally Forth and Medium Large.
Has written for the Onion News Network, Smosh, McSweeney’s, and had a play produced at the New York International Fringe Festival.
Served as head writer for the PBS series SeeMore's Playhouse (for which his script won two regional Emmys).
Was afraid of the color yellow until about age nine.
Tans a little too well to be tru

News & Interviews