Start by marking “The Cartoon Guide to Statistics” as Want to Read:
The Cartoon Guide to Statistics

The Cartoon Guide to Statistics

(Cartoon Guides)

Updated version featuring all new material.

If you have ever looked for P-values by shopping at P mart, tried to watch the Bernoulli Trails on "People's Court," or think that the standard deviation is a criminal offense in six states, then you need The Cartoon Guide to Statistics to put you on the road to statistical literacy.

The Cartoon Guide to Statistics covers all the
Published July 14th 1993 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Cartoon Guide to Statistics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cartoon Guide to Statistics

Pvw
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
If you have ever seen a sheet of statistical formulas and are unfamiliar with it, they look like incomprehensible nonsense. The notation system in statistics is pretty weird, and it lacks the more logical consistence that you find in regular algebra.

People who write about statistics have this same illogical twist in their minds. That is why most books on the subject spend whole chapters explaining easy stuff, and then make huge logical leaps in just one line, leaving the reader puzzled as to whe
Robert Owens
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
When a man lives alone, he invents ways to keep busy. One summer I decided I was going to become an AP statistics professor. Yes, I know. Anyhow, I spent that summer studying like you would not believe. This was one of the books I read.

This was a rather straightforward approach to statistics. While it has cartoons, there is real mathematics here. I swear!
Thatsgreateric
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough" and Larry understands his topic matters more than most tenured professors I know.
Jerry
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
The back blurb advertises that this book will “put you on the road to statistical literacy.” But unless you already understand statistics or are very comfortable with algebra and have a basic understanding of calculus, you are unlikely to come out of it any more statistically literate than you went in. It uses a lot of symbols and only barely introduces the underlying math. And it is more of an overview of how to do statistics than a guide to understanding statistics.

The book’s biggest lack is t
Teo 2050
Contents:
(view spoiler)
Robert
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I adore Larry Gonick's Cartoon Guide series in general, but that is partly because I clearly identify their purpose. Don't think of this as a College level textbook in statistics because it isn't. It is rather an illustrated, extremely easy to read conceptual overview of statistics, the moral equivalent of Cliff note or a course outline but with cartoons and a certain amount of humor and history mixed in.

Do not underestimate the value of this if you are a student wanting to learn statistics! For
Inggita
"chicken soup" for people who have to endure courses in statistics, it failed to make me fall in love with the subject, but enough to make we stood in awe with the level of obsessions some people have to measure our lives with numbers. Hooray to all statisticians who provide guidance to understand the world we're living in - but everybody need to remind themselves that we need further look into each phenomenon lest we get disoriented - don't blame the statistics for misunderstanding!
Ted Nadeau
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
There are many math courses that I should have skipped & just read this book instead.
Needs Excel worksheets & macros to help one enjoy/experiment. Might make them myself.
I bought much of the whole Cartoon Guide/History series & leave them near the kids.
Rohan
Apr 07, 2009 rated it liked it
A nice basic review of statistics. I read through this with my stats text from college, looking up derivations/proofs of the important results discussed more intuitively in this book. I think this was a valuable approach, I certainly got more mileage out of this book with this kind of reading.
Swateek
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick and clear way to get introduced to various terms in statistics. Liked the way cartoon series was presented in an easy way.
Brian
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brian by: Jon
(4.0) Actually not a bad refresher reference

I don't think anyone would learn statistics from this one, but it actually does pack in a fair amount of justification/explication in addition to some of the basics from the statistician's toolbox. I also have to admit that I never learned how to compute (or the real meaning of) p-values, Student's t-test etc., so was cool to see the motivation/~derivation of the tools there. Definitely fun read and if I needed to refresh my memory of some of the key c
Steve Carroll
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thought this one was great. It does a great job of gradual learning curve mixed with an emphasis on real world application but it is also unafraid to toss a little math your way. Not to mention it is really funny at times. I've been chewing up stat books lately as an attempt to refresh on these concepts for work. This is a great refresher and then I'd add Data Smart as a good extension to more modern issues (like clustering, and social graph stuff).
Martha
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the default Christmas present book I'm going to give to parents with middle-school kids. I found it at the MP library's new book section, and it is worth looking at.

It starts out simple - illustrating the differences between median, mean and mode. By page 22, I got a little shaky, but it covers more than what I learned in a business math class in college.

This series also looks at American History, which may also be good.
Rohit
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, mathematics
Very good concept with impressive cartoon display. Basic concepts of statistics are explained well with a good examples and real life problems. You will not get bored while reading this book unlike other stereotypical statistics books. Authors' sense of humor is great and how they tried to incorporate it into the 'mathematical' cartoons is brilliant. Overall good book for the beginner students who have just started studying statistics.
Tara Lynn
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Borrowed from a friend as a quick reference to my statistics homework. While some of the illustrations are helpful, it's far easier to sit down with a tutor for explanations, than to try to understand the illustrations. This is better suited as a gift to someone who already has a rudimentary knowledge of statistics.
Michelle
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: academic, mathematics
Oh, CGS. Apparently the only statistics textbook out there without terrible, glaring errors, according to my professor. I really can see the utility of this teaching method, especially for high school - but it doesn't have any practice problems! (what, me, complain about having no homework?) Good as a reference, but it should not be your only source for learning stats.
February Four
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic review for my exams. Don't buy this expecting it to teach you statistics, but if you need a review or just want to see the big picture, this is your book.
Juan
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pesquisa
O livro é bom, embora contenha mais fórmulas matemáticas do que eu imaginava.
Lawrence
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book must have been in the periphery of my consciousness when I was growing up, because the idea of reading it suddenly manifested itself fully-formed to me one day after, as a math teacher whose weak point is statistics, I'd long nursed a need to get better at the subject: "Wait a minute, isn't there some kind of Cartoon Guide to Statistics or something?" And yes, I could have looked at an actual statistics textbook; but, the point of this book, it seems to me, is to be more human than tha ...more
Roberto Rigolin F Lopes
Hypothesis: there is a chance that this is the first statistics book that you (Sherlock?) will read from cover-to-cover. Why? The distribution of humor looks good. Meaning that humor is well distributed throughout this book; highly biased towards good jokes, you may find some lame-ish stuff, though. The confidence interval for “good jokes” depends on your erudition/personality, Sherlock. We can use “paired comparisons” between this book and other textbooks as well. But I will leave it as an exer ...more
Ed Terrell
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
“CG to Statistics” is a fun little romp through mutually exclusive garden paths into the Alice in Wonderland world of conditional probabilities and the special multiplication rule. After taking the pill that was supposed to make me smaller, I chase the Chevalier de Mere down the rabbit hole until I encountered the fuzzy central limit theorem in place of a Cheshire Cat-- all of which left me longing for the world of standard normal distributions. Means of 0 and standard deviations of 1: what coul ...more
Anand Mandapati
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My go to probability & statistics refresher

This book has been my go to refresher on probability and statistics for many years now whenever I need to remember something. It is a very simple and fun introduction to many concepts that are important to our every day lives. Yet, it also gets fairly in depth into statistical concepts. The reason I gave he book 4 stars instead of 5 though is that there are places where even the cartoons jump a little too fast for my speed and I need to refer to oth
Loretta
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A funny, fun, easy to read brush up on Statistics Fundamentals for those of us who don't naturally gravitate to mathematics books. I really liked it! Some of the jokes were on the mature side (1990s humor). The last chapter gives a highlight into the future of Statistics (computation and visualization using software and programming languages). It's interesting to read about the authors using S and Minitab when years later, we're using R but I recall using Minitab during my first Stats course in ...more
Lik Castañeda
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a Statistics graduate so I can understand the concepts in this book. I am not sure what others who did not take Statistics would think of this book, but I liked how the concepts were presented with relatable examples and illustrations to take the boredom out. The book is a good refresher for me on the central ideas in statistics.
Terran M
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my 2nd favorite introduction to statistics. Its great strength is the funny, intuitive, and generally memorable presentation. Its weakness is that it leans too far in the direction of presenting formulæ without explanation or derivation, so it fails to facilitate a deeper understanding.
James
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the statistics reference book I keep with me at work. It's still the best, simplest guide I've ever found.
Iakovos (Jake)
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
If you want to start statistics is ok. You have to read more books in depth to learn statistics.
This book is a nice friendly start.
Marta Fajlhauer
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very introductory book to Statistics that is very good as the first introduction into Statistics
Dan
Oct 29, 2017 marked it as abandoned
I'm abandoning this one. It's not nearly so user friendly as it looks. To learn statistics, I'm going to use a combination of youtube videos and a problems workbook instead.
Autumn
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Who would have thought that a book on statistics could be fun? I wish that Mr. Gonick would teach at my school.
  • A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper
  • The Art of the Infinite: The Pleasures of Mathematics
  • Principles of Statistics
  • The Divine Proportion
  • Schaum's Outline of Linear Algebra
  • Waiting for Your Cat to Bark?: Persuading Customers When They Ignore Marketing
  • A First Course in Probability
  • The Mathematical Experience
  • Fifty Challenging Problems in Probability with Solutions
  • The Huge Book of Hell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Larry Gonick (born 1946) is a cartoonist best known for The Cartoon History of the Universe, a history of the world in comic book form, which he has been publishing in installments since 1977. He has also written The Cartoon History of the United States, and he has adapted the format for a series of co-written guidebooks on other subjects, beginning with The Cartoon Guide to Genetics in 1983. The ...more

Cartoon Guides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Cartoon Guide to Calculus