Start by marking “More-With-Less Cookbook” as Want to Read:
More-With-Less Cookbook

More-With-Less Cookbook

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  1,749 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Collects a variety of recipes for nutritious foods including oatmeal bread, chicken pie, soybean soup, stir-fried broccoli, chocolate pudding, and fruitcake.
Spiral-bound
Published January 1st 1987 by Herald Press (VA) (first published April 15th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about More-With-Less Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More-With-Less Cookbook

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
One of my favorite cookbooks of all time. I kept the library copy until I thought they were going to come to my house and take it back. I finally have my own copy :)
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been really fed-up with cookbooks lately - they have these beautiful, lavish recipes... but they all call for half a million fancy ingredients that cost a LOT and are hard to find in a small town with no easy access to gourmet grocery stores. So when I saw this book and read a little about it, I wanted it. "More-with-Less" sounds like code for "Simple" to me.

So I went into this prepared for the simple ingredients and back-to-basics cooking... and that's what I got! I love that most (all?)
Connie
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have an earlier, spiral-bound edition of this book that I purchased over ten years ago. At the time, I was a stay-at-home mom and our financial situation wasn't the best. The book was a big help to me because it presented scrumptious, healthy recipes that fit into our budget. I was thrilled when I saw a new-updated edition on Netgalley and couldn't wait to look through it. I wanted to see what changes they had made.

This book was first published in 1976, and yet it fits in so well with the inf
Kristin
Longacre was clearly a woman ahead of her time. Her philosophy is reminiscent of Bittman and Pollan, but this book was published decades before theirs. Some of the nutritional information is now known to be incorrect, but overall it is pretty sound.

The first part of the book goes into great detail about her whole foods philosophy and includes nutritional and environmental reasons for her choices. While the recipes do contain some cringe-worthy ingredients like margarine, shortening, and sugar t
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I won't be slaughtering my own chickens or converting to powdered milk anytime soon, there are quite a few recipes in this book that I am excited to try. Not only does it serve as a gentle reminder about which foods and shopping methods are easiest on the environment, it is a wonderful celebration of fellowship and community through shared cooking and meals. Even the margins are crammed with lovely quotes, many of them from 'ordinary' people who contributed to the book.
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, stewardship
Not too much to say, the first few chapters were really interesting, the rest is recipes. I liked what the author had to say about what we eat, why, and also just thinking about the whole picture of food. I liked the scriptures mentioned, and I appreciate that the author believes stewardship extends to the food system.
Colette
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
1) A cookbook that embraces fresh vegetables! Lentils! Beans! And they're not side dishes!
2) I would consider becoming a Mennonite for this book alone.
Gaele
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn’t have an eye to budget conscious, healthy and delicious food? And, best of all you can have new options, beyond leftovers, that don’t mean you have to get out and buy bunches of meats, spices, etc.. From some simple (and tasty) salad dressing recipes that are easy, tasty and quick to make to desserts that are heavy on flavor, shorter on time and effort than many.

There’s no reinventing the wheel here – these are simple foods, prepared carefully and with a mindfulness that keeps wasted
LeAnne
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
The copyright on my copy of More with Less Cookbook is 1976 so I probably didn’t take it to Ethiopia with me that year. But I may have heard of it there where we worked with Mennonite missionaries at the Good Shepherd School. (It was the Mennonites who produced the book.) Ethiopia would certainly have introduced me to the need to do more with less. Not only was poverty all around me, but grocery stores were very limited. More with Less became my staple cookbook somewhere in the next few years be ...more
Janis Hill
New disclaimer due to new Amazon rules: I was gifted a free electronic copy of this book by Herald Press, via Netgalley. I am not being forced to post a review; I am doing it of my own free will as I enjoy reviewing.

On advice from Amazon, and based on their emailed reply – “My review is voluntarily and the Author/publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence my review.”

My review:

Although this is a reprint of an older book, this is the first time I have read a copy, and
Betty
Years ago, I bought the original More-with-Less, but many moves and many years resulted in a missing copy. I don’t remember if I made any of the recipes, but I do remember enjoying perusing the book. I was happy to receive a PDF copy of the book published by Herald Press and received through NetGalley.

More-with-Less Cookbook was never just a cookbook. It was and is a roadmap into how to view and react to food and the world. Just how much do we need in order to live? When does having enough chang
Lili
From Netgalley for a review:

Usually if I run into a cookbook who has strong spiritual tones I am able to overlook it in favor of the recipes, assuming the recipes are good. I thought with the title 'More with Less' it would be focused on making things with few ingredients, hearty stews and the like, and while there is some of that, really it was just rehashing things I have seen many other places. There was nothing new and exciting, so as a cookbook it failed for me, though I could see someone w
Ivonne Rovira
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: conscientious cooks
A Mennonite introduced me to More-With-Less: A World Community Cookbook 20 years ago or more. First published in 1976, this cookbook authored by a socially conscious Mennonite, is being reissued this year. It’s hard to fathom that ideas that are now a cornerstone of healthy eating — avoid processed food, eat less meat in order to create a healthier planet and more sustainable agriculture in lesser-developed countries, sample ethnic cuisines, you can eat better and more cheaply, we can change th ...more
Malou
This is my first cookbook that I have received on my Kindle and I am a little bit disappointed.

It doesn't seem to be at all accommodating for Kindle as I cant skip ahead chapters or go to a certain page to look at recipes. Now this could have something to do with my older Kindle version rather than the book.

There aren't a table of contents for the actual recipes but they have been bunched in groups like: "main dishes" or: "vegetables". This makes it seem less interesting to me, knowing I cant
feathers
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: katie !
Recommended to feathers by: ashley
Shelves: kitchen-table
i will probably never be on board with the powdered milk gospel (um) advocated here, but the politics and perspective framing this cookbook are right on. encouraging experimentation, substitution, community, and an ecologically-light-footed (right?) culinary aesthetics, these recipes are great for dumpstered deliciousness !
Anne White
A very attractive updated look, combined with the old favourite recipes, makes this one a winner.
DelAnne Frazee
ISBN: 978-836199642
Reviewed For NetGalley and Herald Press
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.5 Starts

Easy to follow abd understand recipes. Some unusual ones such as Campfire Packet Stew, Pinto Bean Bread, Chicken turnovers, Pilgrim's Bread, soap recipes, Navajo Fry Bread and dandilion salad just to name a few. Th
Emily M
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This was such a formative cookbook for me as a teen (my grandma had given my mom a copy) and a new wife (my roommate who is an excellent cook gave it to me as a wedding gift), particularly in learning how to truly cook from scratch and stretch a little bit of meat into a whole meal. Back in those days, we didn't have food blogging, homemaking had yet to make its hip resurgence, and I was the only teacher eating homemade refried beans and rice for lunch in the teacher lounge. I learned a lot of i ...more
Martha
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more than a cookbook, but a book on the culture of nutrition and doing more with less in our families eating habits. The gentle simplicity of the recipes had me realizing that I could enjoy cooking again, without concentrating on complicated ingredients or recipes.

This book was written before most of the allergy craze, and it shows all the more clearly how it is become more of a fad than a need. I am aware of many true allergies to food, but also see how in our country, it has become a
Kimberly
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased an edition of this book 30 years ago and I loved it. When this edition came out, I was convinced that I would feel the same about it. I do.

This book has been filled with recipes used by the Mennonite people. It helps the consumer look at the food that we consume, like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes etc. Preferably, these should come from local sources. To show some of the missions that the Mennonite people serve they include pictures from around the world using local resou
Neatia
This is an excellent read, with an abundance of recipes and plenty of ideas for utilizing leftovers and reducing your waste. The edition I read was definitely outdated by nearly 20 years, but I would be very interested in reading and assessing a more updated version. As it was, the version I read had many useful tables and charts, and even better it cites its sources unlike many other books of the same ilk. Definitely provides both food for thought and food for the body.
Vicki
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Bought this book at a rummage sale for 50 cents. Some Interesting reading and recipes. Can't wait to make all of the delicious sounding recipes over the next few months, then I'll be able to write a better and more accurate review, but sounds like a 4 star at this time. Either way, it's a great book to add to my collection.
Nick Neaton
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this fuckin' book
Jackie L Dowdel
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this cookbook. I have had some version of it in my collection for years and I would not be without it.
Crittermom
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The idea behind the More-with-Less cookbook is conservation and elimination of food waste. In America particularly, many go hungry while vast amounts of food are thrown away. At the same time, many of the so called "convenience" items from the grocery save little time and eat away at food budgets. There is also a satisfaction to be gained from making a simple meal and sharing it with friends and family. Food need not be expensive or exotic to be a delicious repast physically and socially.

Going t
Crittermom
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The idea behind the More-with-Less cookbook is conservation and elimination of food waste.  In America particularly, many go hungry while vast amounts of food are thrown away.  At the same time, many of the so called "convenience" items from the grocery save little time and eat away at food budgets.  There is also a satisfaction to be gained from making a simple meal and sharing it with friends and family.  Food need not be expensive or exotic to be a delicious repast physically and socially.

Goi
Annette
Based on quite a number of testimonials - folks saying like "this is the most used cookbook in our kitchen," "the pages are stained and its falling apart," and "I was so glad to get this as a wedding gift after using it as a kid" - I checked this out from the local library and kept it about 6 weeks.
It was worth the read if for no other reason than it taught me to cook rice on the stove-top, allowing me to discard my impossible-to-clean dedicated rice-maker. (Hint: add rice to pot. Add water to
Penmouse
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long before mindful eating was in vogue author Doris Janzen Longacre wrote the More-with-Less Cookbook as Longacre firmly believed in treasuring our food resources. The More-with-Less Cookbook became a family cookbook for cooks who wanted to use their foodstuffs wisely and frugally. The updated More-with-Less: A World Community Cookbook continues the tradition as author Rachel Marie Stone has skillfully and seamlessly updated the cookbook to meet modern cook's needs.

The reader will find suggesti
Rebekah
The message is similar to other books I've read--eat lower down on the food chain more often, grow and prepare as much of your food as you can instead of relying on highly processed foods, etc.--but this is the first book I've read in which these practices are an expression of faith. I hadn't considered that eating more simply is also good stewardship of God's creation and good care of your neighbor, whether it's your local farmer or someone on the other side of the world making a small cut of m ...more
Daniel Pool
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book that hasn't aged super well, but still has some great recipes. Longacre was very ahead of her time with the first half of the book, urging her readers to eat less meat, eat less in general, and to always eat consciously. That being said, nothing she says will be news to anyone who has read anything by Pollan, Bittman, or anyone from that crowd. (It also includes some very good prayers and scriptures, if you are into that sort of thing)

The recipes as well are in a style that s
  • Simply in Season
  • Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents
  • Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • The Splendid Table
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • Flatbreads  Flavors
  • Fresh Food Fast: Delicious, Seasonal Vegetarian Meals in Under an Hour
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Simple Food for the Good Life: Random Acts of Cooking & Pithy Quotations
  • The Tassajara Bread Book
  • The Amish Cook: Recollections and Recipes from an Old Order Amish Family
Doris Janzen Longacre was born February 15, 1940 in Newton, Kansas. She received her BA degree in home economics from Goshen College and did graduate studies at Goshen Biblical Seminary and Kansas State University. With her husband, Paul Longacre, and two daughters, Cara Sue and Marta Joy, she worked with Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) in Vietnam (1964-1967) and in Indonesia (1971-1972). She se ...more

Nonfiction Deals

$17.99 $1.99
  • John Quincy Adams
    $12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
  • Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Hole in Our Gospel Special Edition: What Does God Expect of Us? The Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World
    $10.99 $1.99