Start by marking “Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done” as Want to Read:
Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done

Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  20,580 Ratings  ·  340 Reviews

"Execution may very well be the best business book of the year, and one of the most useful to have come around in a long time. This smart and pithy book focuses on a simple though vexing challenge: How can the leaders of an organization exhort their people to deliver on the most important goals?....It's rare to find a book like this that blends smart practice with intellig

Published 2002 by Currency

To ask other readers questions about Execution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Execution

Al
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Execution: The discipline of Getting Things Done: Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan

Central Truths:

1. Execution is a systematic process of rigorously discussing hows and whats, questioning, tenaciously following through, and ensuring accountability.
2. No company can deliver on its commitments or adapt well to change unless all leaders practice the discipline of execution at all levels.
3. You need robust dialogue to surface the realities of the business.
4. How people talk to each other absolutely deter
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
What a completely over-rated book. I suspect this made the top 20 best-ever booklist that led me to it on the basis that the title sounds good, like something a knowledgeable business person should advocate. Bossidy has earned the right to write on this topic, but the story lacks any sense of instructive meat. It's really more suited to a motivational speech or a Tom Peters interview. Reading 250+ pages was painful. Some business books are thoughtful; others make me really dislike business cultu ...more
Dharwiyanti
A bit lengthy written with two main messages:

1. As a CEO or a leader at the top level management, it is wrong to only focus on the planning or big pictures. The 'modern'
style of managing is to also make sure how to get the things done. Do not blame the staffs if execution goes wrong.

2. To do point 1 above, make sure you hire good people that are entitled to get things done. To do so, you have to use all channels of reference checking, contact people that know your candidates closely.

Very inspir
David Lau
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it
A former manager of mine once told me to read this book. That was back in 2007. It took me until now to read it, but now I understand why he had such high praise for the book.

Execution in it's simplest sense is to: get things done. Period. But it's more complex than those 3 words might suggest. It's about getting the right people in place, building a strategy around the resources available, and finally implementing the strategy, linking the strategy with people.

As with many other books on manag
CV Rick
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
It's not you, it's me.

Well . . . that's what I think at least.

So many business books read like a rehash of a boring seminar and this is no exception. Every page could be a power point. Every line could be a bullet point. Everything is crafted for presentation with very little background, substance or reference. Anecdote is not evidence, yet anecdote is ever-present.

You know, it reminds me of sitting through talks and speeches in church when I was a kid. All Mormon talks are exactly like this
Sergey Morovshik
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top
Начинал читать в ожидание, что найду в книге инструменты, решения, шаблоны для поднятия исполнительной функции в компании и достижение. Книга больше по стратегическому планированию и исполнению стратегии. Никаких фреймов нет, но по стратегии, созданию стратегии, обсуждению, это по-моему одна из лучших книг.
Для топов и руководитель любого направления будет очень полезна!
Robert Chapman
I gave this 3 stars not because it was a bad book, but rather because I think other books better convey a similar but more concise message. Those books would be The Oz Principle and The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals .

The idea that many people intellectualize, philosophize and cannot actually implement or execute is so very true, I have seen it over and over again in my career.

Leaders show up and get into the weeds, it builds dignity in subordinates. Forty perc
Patrick
Feb 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
A rambling mess that seemed to have never crossed an editor's desk, this book read as though it was literally spoken into a tape recorder, transcribed and then published. As to its subject matter: I cannot think of one bromide the "authors" managed to leave out, particularly of the tautological sort. You hire good people by....hiring good people, you build good products by....building good products. Wow.

I finally tossed this sucker aside after about the 84,000th mention of Jack Welch, in such s
TarasProkopyuk
"Исполнение. Система достижения целей" очень хорошая, основательная и тщательно проработанная книга в которой приведено множество принципов, моделей и способов управления персоналом с целью незамедлительной, а главное качественной реализации бизнес-панов а также целей предприятий.

Авторы не просто люди оторванные от действительности теоретики, а люди которые достигли высоких позиций в корпоративном секторе и весьма успешные личности. И возможно поэтому книга у них получилась очень насыщенная и це
Paul Bard
Feb 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-to-be-read
It's not worth reading, in my opinion, because it's full of jargon and puffery. Who knows if the wall of corporate verbiage has any meaning or not? Apparently many are convinced it does. I am not.

As to the puffery, the book makes out plain prudence to be some great new discovery. This is not even marketing, but simply spin, as far as I can see. Because the authors are corporate leaders, this book is treated better than it deserves. It deserves to be treated as an marketing addition to the author
Thomas Andersen
May 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
I might have missed the point of this book, but what I came away with was:
- This is a book based in a different time and while execution is as fundamental to business success the "incarnation" in this book and its implementation is obsolete.
- It's hard to take it too seriously when statements that are key to the message of the book are based upon bad data.
- Most of what's usable in this book is just "re-branded" common sense. While they are good reminders they do not inspire nor impress.
- Stop t
Ryan
Aug 09, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is valuable to individuals and is even more value to senior leadership in organizations. I enjoyed considering the key difference between what behaviors successful companies exude. Also, I strongly agree that a culture of execution normally separates industry leaders from other companies. Here is my personal review of this book.

“Execution is a systematic process of rigorously discussing hows and whats, questioning, tenaciously following through, and ensuring accountability. It include
equisway
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
2014: Excelent book.

I learned a lot of things from Bossidy and Charan, specially that execution is not something you delegate, it is the direct responsibility of the leader. I also learned that business plans have to be so detailed, they become daily guides.

The only thing I didn't like is that they wrote the book from the perspective of huge company, in the billions of dollars of sales category. I understan that is the primary area of expertise of the author, but I would like to read a book thi
Tim Andersen
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
There were some good things to think about as far as open and honest feedback from reviews and assessment. There were also some good points on when to take coaching opportunities. Most of the book was about setting expectations and following through by holding people accountable. There is a lot of emphasis on scrutinizing the business plans of underlings and driving out the specific actions to see if they have actually thought about it or just made up numbers to meet their performance objectives ...more
Mark Hanson
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: american, business, work
A few interesting and helpful suggestions, but for the most part it was a lot of verbiage without much actionable content. Geared for much larger organizations with a larger hierarchical structure of authority where one can push off the actual process of doing to many direct reports.
Maureen Ennis
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I was lucky enough to work at AlliedSignal and participate as Larry Bossidy ran the Execution machine he describes in this book. I have found it invaluable in transforming organizations of all sizes.
Zaher Alhaj
I think the book is overrated.

Although it includes some useful tips, however it lacks the deep thoughts that one can expect form such an over-hyped book.
S James Bysouth
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a must read for anyone working in a corporate office, small business, or hot dog stand. In the 5 or 6 years since reading, time and time again I have thought about the things I learned here.
Li Li
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
3 Building Blocks of Execution

#A – The leaders 7 essential behavior
1. Know your people and business
a. Master the art of questioning and take questions – you intuitively know the culture and how well the managers normally communicates w/ the workforce.
b. Build personal connection – absent that personal connection, you are just a name.
c. Conduct business reviews – show up as a way of your appreciation and a reward for their extensive preparation. It’s not an interrogation, but take the form of a
Max
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of the better leadership/management books that I have come across. Like most books of the genre, it stresses goals and visions as essential to moving forward, but this book takes it in a different direction: at some point, you need to stop dreaming and start doing something.

Execution stresses a more hands-on approach to leadership. It's not enough to simply sit back and be the idea guy hoping that someone else is taking care of the work. The book is generally written for the CEO leve
James Pritchert
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Business leaders
This is a vintage read from the early 2000s. It is directed towards CEOs and those who want to be CEOs. All that aside, I enjoyed it and I have retrieved some useful nuggets of information that I am able to apply in my current position which is far from the CEO suite. It is a good thing to view the world of work from the top level instead of the trenches. It tends to help put things into perspective for us working guys.
Nora
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Started off very strong and somehow became less impressive towards the end. For some reason, it felt less precise, even though it was describing the operations and strategy processes. Nonetheless, I wholeheartedly support its core premise that you have be specific about how to get things done.
Sushant Sharma
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Tends to get repetitive and loses its luster as it moves ahead. It does provide good use cases and a certain direction but too many times just gives mixed signals and foggy discussions.
Good one time read and should be used as a milestone to move to sterner literature on execution frameworks.
Russ
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Not an easy read, but great stuff. Must be read several times.
Nirav Goswami
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: th
this is a good book for all management people.
Maria
Basic business book with all the key words, but also with solid examples... so it evened out, without impressing me. Fundamental idea is that goals without plans are just wishful thinking.
Rodrigo
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bom livro de negócios: daqueles que resume bem, contém bons exemplos e modelos de atuação.
Donovan Richards
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
The Academy and the Company
Having experienced this phenomenon over the last year or so, I can safely attest to its accuracy. The shift between academic life and business life is stark, challenging, and effulgent.

The scholarly life requires deep rumination, careful consideration, and an ability to distill complexity into simplicity so that others might learn. In terms of delivery, the academic certainly has deadlines, but responsibility falls on one’s self. There are no clear and present responsi
Kolko
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wayne
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
All along I've taken pride that I'm an "ideas guy". I am not an "implementer". This book made it abundantly clear that if there were an extra Beautitude in the bible it would be: "the implementers shall inherit the Earth".

It's not enough to be think strategically and fashion an exception strategic plan. A plan is only as good as it execution. So often leaders are changed out under the guise of having a poor strategy. When in actuality it was poor execution that doomed them to failure.

The book
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong published date 2 11 Jun 10, 2018 03:48PM
Does execution trump empowerment? 2 20 Jun 15, 2014 10:36PM
  • Competing for the Future
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • In Search Of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Leading Change
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • The Game-Changer
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • Financial Intelligence: A Manager's Guide to Knowing What the Numbers Really Mean
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • The Discipline of Market Leaders: Choose Your Customers, Narrow Your Focus, Dominate Your Market

Nonfiction Deals

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“The leader must be in charge of getting things done by running the three core processes—picking other leaders, setting the strategic direction, and conducting operations.” 4 likes
“But if you have to choose between someone with a staggering IQ and an elite education who’s gliding along, and someone with a lower IQ but who is absolutely determined to succeed, you’ll always do better with the second person.” 3 likes