Start by marking “Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep (Emily Windsnap, #2)” as Want to Read:
Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep (Emily Windsnap, #2)

Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep

(Emily Windsnap #2)

An enchanting tale with a fabulous monster, engaging characters, plenty of mermaid magic, and a page-turning story, Kessler's new middle-grade fantasy has all the charm and warmth of its predecessor, The Tail of Emily Windsnap.
Published April 11th 2006 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep, please sign up.
[Name Redacted] My guess? Money. It's dreadful, obnoxious and uneventful, missing all the fun and whimsy of the first book.
BOOK You can buy OR get one from a local library nearby.

Mary ♥
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
5/5 stars

Between the thunders of the upper deep
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth
-Alfred Lord Tennison

There are some books that fill your heart with brightness and exploding suns. There are some stories that wrap your body in starlight and breathe fresh air into you, protecting you from pain and harm. There are simply some tales that you will always come back to, no matter how old you are, just to seek comfort and be more in control of
Dawn (& Ron)
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love mermaid tales, action adventure tales
Read for Anna's ABC&D bookclub

This book picks up shortly after the events of book 1, The Tail of Emily Windsnap. Flipping fins, their lives at Allpoints island begins with 12 year old Emily, excited about her new home, still has the same fears she did in her old home of being different and not fitting in. Her efforts t to impress brings out the bogey-mer of merfolks nightmares and she's the only one who can fix it.

"It lends itself to a touch of insomnia, getting stranded on an island the si
Hadessephy
Sep 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, fantasy, mg, mlm
This is a cute series for young girls but I think I am a little too old for it. I like most mid grade books but this series is at the younger end. That being said I still want to finish the series. I love how Neptune puts on an air that he doesn't care but always does the right thing. I'm glad that Emily and Mandy made up at the end and I liked how the author showed both sides. Over all Emily is a nice girl and I'm glad she has her good friend.
Debbie
Sep 13, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Emily is all set to live happily ever after with her parents, but of course it doesn't work out that way. In trying to fit in and make friends, Emily accidentally awakens the Kraken. It looks like the Kraken will destroy Allpoints Island--unless Emily can find a way to avert disaster. Her old enemy, Mandy, shows up to further complicate matters.

Not quite as good as the first book in the series, but cute.
Jen
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who read the first one
Shelves: 2009
Julia
Apr 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
First of all I hadn't had the chance to read the original book and didn't know this was a sequel until I had already picked it up. As a result I cannot say anything about the series or even place the book itself in a comparable study compared to the others in the series although one friend really likes the third book the best and others say the first was good but that is from others' viewpoints.

To me the book was too flat and emotionless since it was basically the same issue times two with a b
Steffi
Emily ist nun in ihrer neuen Heimat, auf der Rundum-Insel, angekommen und gleich die erste Erkundungstour bringt sie und ihr neues Zuhause in Gefahr. Sie hat einen riesigen Kraken zum Leben erweckt.

Die Geschichte steckt voller Spannung und jeder Menge Action. Die ersten Seiten, in denen Emily in ihrer neuen Heimat ankommt, sind noch ein wenig ruhig, aber sobald der Kraken aufgeweckt wurde, passiert unglaublich viel. Ein Abenteuer jagt das nächste und Emily und ihre Freunde und Familie geraten in
Emily
Jul 24, 2010 added it
This book is about Emily has found her dad and goes to live and allpoints island. When she her friend shona and two other girls go to show emily around the school emily an dshona tresspass in neptunes territories and accidentaly wake the kraken witch is one of neptunes most powerful sea cratures. Now shona is mad at emily for making her go and the only people who the kraken listens to is the people who wake it. But know emily has to get shona to help her. How will she? for more information read ...more
Nat
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good
It is a terrible misfortune that the popular book series about being a mermaid is told through the perspective of someone who only wants to fit in.
Caroline
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
QUARTER FOUR CHOICE BOOK FOUR

The first book was SO GOOD... so what happened to this one? In the first like seventy pages, the story moved really slowly and almost nothing happens. The story line was really predictable, and the author didn't even try to put a cool twist anywhere in it. I mean, I guess I liked the fact that she told us more about the characters, like, for example, we learned why King Neptune hates when merpeople and humans have relationships. AND Liz Kessler also added some new, i
Allie
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I'm pretty sure I read this a few years ago, but if I did, I completely forgot 90% of what happened, haha. I did enjoy this one, but definitely not as much as the first. Emily seemed so whiny throughout almost this entire book, and while it was probably realistic, it was kind of annoying... I really did love the ending though and I can't wait to read the next book!
Laura Larson
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: october-2018
Book 2 in an interesting and surprisingly unique middle grade series. Emily continues to let her adventurous streak and need to be accepted get the best of her... this time unleashing a monster set on demolishing everything! I adore this spunky and brave little girl, probably because she reminds me a little of myself- so desperate that new start would fix everything that she gets a bit TOO eager and messes it all up. Important lessons about friendship, being yourself, forgiveness, and the true v ...more
Rachel
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I kept thinking 2 or 3 as I read. Was about the same as the first book. It was ok. At least it had some surprises but I feel as if the writing and characters are still... weak? Not the worst though. I'd still read another in the series. Better for kids.
Faith M:)
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was really good!!! A little slow at first, but then the story kicked in! A LOT more action than the first one! I’m excited to read the others in the series!

My only complaint is that they say Oh my God a lot. Other than that, I love it!
Jordyn Robinson
it as an AWESOME book
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Michelle Weng
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Emily Windsnap was not a ordinary girl.When Emily took swimming class she found out she has tails. Good thing King Neptune's loyal assistant was here to help.Now that Emily knows she need to move to a beautiful island set in a glittering blue sea, sparkling with white sand and palm trees, a secret place where humans and merfolk live together.But during this adventure curious Emily found where Neptune hides his pet Kraken.But by accident she and her friend Shona woken the kraken who was to sleep ...more
Brigitte
I was less than impressed by the first book, I didn’t feel the same excitement as I did back when I was 12, but I recognised the appeal. However, the second book was much better as we finally got to see some character development on Emily’s side. There’s a clear contrast in how she behaves here when compared to the first book, with acceptance being one of the main themes in this book. It’s interesting to see how Emily handles being alienated from her friends after she tried so hard to please the ...more
Marianna
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The tone feels dry and lack some of the whimsicalness from the first book yet hold together fine. There is more character devolvement.

Emily try to fix what she did wrong and it doesn't work out. In real life when someone try to fix something nine times out of ten it doesn't work out, there a connection to relate to that. Also gives young readers a lesson that you can't always get what you want. There is other good lesson about life.

The writing needs some work. It is a clean, okay read, and you
Kendra Ardnek
You know that awkward moment when you only intended to read the first book of a series, so you check it out from Overdrive, only to receive the WHOLE series in one ebook...

Not that it's a bad series, mind you, but this wasn't a series I wanted to read in one big gulp, and now I kinda feel obligated. Emily loves treading ALL over my literary pet peeve, but she usually learns most of her lesson, and the worldbuilding isn't bad. If you enjoy mermaid fiction, I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't go out
Pamela S
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a sequel to the first book. To understand this book more, i highly recommend to read the first book first (the tail of emily windsnap). This book gave the funny feeling of being scared at a time while still wanting to know what happens next. Very engaging but a little bit intense, more intense than the first book. An enchanting fantasy with a fabulous monster, a cast of engaging, funny characters, plenty of mermaid magic and a page-turning story. Well written and swiishyyy!!!
Kathy
Feb 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-fiction
Emily who is half mermaid goes to live with her Mom (a human) and dad (a Merman) on All Points Island--a beautiful place. Emily enjoys playing with her best friend Shona and other mermaids, but then on a dare goes where she shouldn't and awakens a horrible monster the Kracken who just happens to be Neptune's pet. Things get complicated and dangerous in this hidden island tucked away in the Bermuda Triangle.
Ciara Ryan
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved the first book of the Emily Windsnap series and this one carried my love for this series! I totally recomend this book because they take you with Emily through her adventures. The adventures keep you right on the edge of your seat. I rate this book 4 stars!
Aleysha
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
i liked this book because it had adventure and because it was about mermaids. my favorite part is that when the monster comes and scares everybody. and i like when Emily saves the day
Patricia
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emily-windsnap

It was a terrific book. I don't have a favorite part because I loved it ALL! I also finished it in 2 days because it was so good. On got to go and start book 3.
Milana Waller
Nov 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worstbooks
Really strange. Unrealistic. I just don't understand what was going on it is just so weird
Nilsson
Um, I'm glad everything worked out, that in itself is wonderful! But you should really avoid the Bermuda Triangle at all costs. It's nothing to joke about, that.
Corey Timmins
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Writing style made it hard to follow who was talking.
Chelsea
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute, but not as good as the first one.
Kirsten
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I only vaguely remember reading the first one. Emily Windsnap is the daughter of a merman and a human woman. The entire town she lives in was given a memory drug and her father was taken away and imprisoned by Neptune. It all changes when Emily is forced to get in the water for a school swimming lesson and turns into a mermaid. There's a school bully, Mandy Rushton, that she finally gets the better of, her parents meet up again, and they all go to live on an island in the middle of the Bermuda T ...more
Great Middle Grad...: * BOTM (2) for JULY/AUGUST is Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep 5 25 Jul 29, 2018 11:11PM
the sequal to emily windsnap 7 20 Jun 21, 2014 03:18PM
  • Teenage Mermaid
  • Tide Knot (Ingo, #2)
  • The Summer of Moonlight Secrets
  • Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand (Disney Fairies #2)
  • Prilla and the Butterfly Lie (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #8)
  • A Mermaid's Tale: A Personal Search for Love and Lore
  • Mermaid Tales from Around the World
  • Beck and the Great Berry Battle (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #3)
  • Lucy (Daughters of the Sea, #3)
  • Beck Beyond the Sea (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #10)
  • Silvermist and the Ladybug Curse (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #12)
  • To Catch a Mermaid
  • Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings (Real Mermaids, #1)
  • My Sister Sif
  • The Silver Dolphin (Mermaid Curse, #1)
  • The Secret History of Mermaids and Creatures of the Deep
  • No Place for Magic
Liz Kessler is the author of three novels about Philippa Fisher as well as the NEW YORK TIMES best-selling Emily Windsnap series. She lives in Manchester, England.

Emily Windsnap (8 books)
  • The Tail of Emily Windsnap (Emily Windsnap, #1)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist (Emily Windsnap, #3)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Siren's Secret (Emily Windsnap, #4)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Land of the Midnight Sun (Emily Windsnap, #5)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Ship of Lost Souls (Emily Windsnap, #6)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Falls of Forgotten Island (Emily Windsnap #7)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Pirate Prince (Emily Windsnap, #8)