Start by marking “Me, Alice: The Autobiography of Alice Cooper” as Want to Read:
Me, Alice: The Autobiography of Alice Cooper

Me, Alice: The Autobiography of Alice Cooper

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
'Me, Alice' is the very hard to find Alice biography 'as told to Steven Gaines'. It has been out of print since at least 1977 and was never published outside the USA.
Published January 1st 1976 by Putnam

To ask other readers questions about Me, Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me, Alice

Violet
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Philanthropists
Recommended to Violet by: the public library
I recommend this book with the slight caution that, once you've read it, you will be suspicious of anyone offering you a jelly donut.
Ann
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Most kids steal a piece of candy or trading cards, this book is the one thing I admit to having stolen. I was a teen living in Phoenix and I was obsessed with Alice Cooper. This book was long out of print, so I took it from the Phoenix library. I did pay for it when they called. :) It was a phenominal look at Alice's life, from the inside and very in depth. Very enjoyable.
John
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm a huge fan of almost all Alice Cooper's music, but I honestly don't care much for Alice Cooper the man until sometime in the mid-90's. If nothing else, this book shows how much Alice has matured in the intervening years. These days, Alice is something of an enigma--his stage persona is completely opposite from his real-life personality. In ME, ALICE, however, Alice portrays himself as being just the sort of debauched rock personality that his conservative-minded critics made him out to be.
Th
Mark Taylor
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Amusing, self-congratulatory story of the band's rise to fame. I would have liked more about how they made the transition from a second-rate, unfocused psychedelic shambles to a first-rate rock band. But there's plenty of debauchery to keep the plot moving.
Anne
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves alice
I read this book in college, and not since. This is one I'd like to revisit to see if my take on it the 1st time has changed. Alice recounts the early days of his career, along with the alcohalism that nearly ended him. Frank Zappa, hippies, sex, drugs, and, of course, rock and roll abound in this autobiography. Also, the origin of the name "Alice Cooper" is revealed. Perhaps it was my young age at the time, but this book has never really left me. Check it out.
Mark
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think there's a good reason why this is so hard to find and so very expensive if you do. I can't blame Alice for trying to snuff it out of existence. I read this a couple times in college (I'm now in my early 50s) and I'm still the biggest Alice fan of anybody I know, by far. I reread this in the past few days and I got a different perspective on it which wasn't surprising and I can see why the author likely has too. This is filled with much sexual promiscuity, an ocean of alcoholism, drug use ...more
Olivia
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
That was one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life. I was lucky enough to get the chance to read it because it was actually at my local library. If you get the chance, definitely read it!
James
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting and funny, this is a lesson in how to write a good autobiography. You require some fascinating material, such as turning down some executive entertainment with Janis Joplin.

It is difficult to follow at times but no surprise if details were not always clearly recalled.

Philip
Aug 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok read, pretty much what I expected, shame it finished half way through his career.
Ray Daley
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Highly entertaining, well worth the read
Nick
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first Alice Cooper autobiography that came out while he was still in the Alice Cooper Band, prior to rehab.
Transgender Bathroom
If you'd like to know what I thought of this book, please contact me directly and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

All the best,

- TB
James Valdivia
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you're going to read any book on Alice Cooper this is the 1.
Transgender Bathroom
This rare, hard-to-find rock autobiography can be read online for free by going here: http://bit.ly/1kYlWrn
Nicole Gelino
  • She's a Rebel: The History of Women in Rock and Roll
  • The Rolling Stone Interviews
  • Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia Highsmith
  • Good Rockin' Tonight: Sun Records and the Birth of Rock 'N' Roll
Alice Cooper (born Vincent Damon) is an American rock singer, songwriter and broadcaster whose career spans more than five decades. With a stage show that features guillotines, electric chairs, fake blood, boa constrictors and baby dolls, Cooper has drawn equally from horror movies, vaudeville, and garage rock to pioneer a grandly theatrical and violent brand of heavy metal that was designed to sh ...more
More about Alice Cooper...