Start by marking “AngularJS” as Want to Read:
AngularJS

AngularJS

Develop smaller, lighter web apps that are simple to create and easy to test, extend, and maintain as they grow. This hands-on guide introduces you to AngularJS, the open source JavaScript framework that uses Model–view–controller (MVC) architecture, data binding, client-side templates, and dependency injection to create a much-needed structure for building web apps.
Published April 30th 2013 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about AngularJS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AngularJS

Start your review of AngularJS
Rob
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would rate this one as a pretty solid introduction to AngularJS, covering the framework's philosophy, the core APIs, and getting into a few (but not all) of the nuts-and-bolts. By the time you get to the end of it, you should be able to build a non-trivial app in Angular -- though the jury's out on exactly how non-trivial that will be. Green and Seshadri have a clear and straightforward approach to presenting the material (no tricks!) and it (mostly) helps that they're both so deeply involved in ...more
Zach
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I was frustrated with the examples of Angular JS on the official site, and wanted something higher-level that would give me a general tour of the language and framework, then dive into the nitty-gritty of how various features work. I rate this guide as excellent on the first point and mediocre on the second.

As far as introducing the main features of the language, such as controllers, injection, and directives, the book does an excellent job of explaining the general concept behind th
Sev
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Considering it's one of a handful of books on the fairly new framework it does a good job in providing an introduction.

Although, having worked on a fairly complex Angularjs app, I did find it a bit lacking in code samples for some of the issues we encountered along the way.

Good start. Looking forward to seeing more books on the subject
Case
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and thorough introduction to AngularJS. I'd recommend going through the tutorial on the home page of AngularJS's site first to get some context, then read this. It's easy to read from beginning to end, and chock full of useful information.
Julio Biason
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Teaches the basic, but it's really out of date.
Jeff Cai
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
good for getting started
Costin Manda
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I have been hearing about the AngularJS library for a few months now, people often praising it as the new paradigm of web development. It is basically a JavaScript MVC framework that makes heavy use of markup language in order to declare the desired behavior. Invented at Google by Miško Hevery, it uses cacheable templates, databinding and dependency injection to combine the various components that otherwise are independent and testable. It also comes with its own testing framework (unit and end- ...more
Colle Owino
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book packed a lot of content in a tiny package. Reading it at a time where angular Js is nearing the end of its life just gives me hope for the future. It was written before components were the main way of structuring angular applications and you would have to ignore that if you really want to get the most out of it. Still recommend it if you want a high level overview of how things work in Angular Js.
Justin
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the APress Angular book to be more comprehensive
Gautham Banasandra
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really nice book to get up and running with AngularJS. It also has a few nice tips on programming principles.
Pawel Dolega
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
My background:
Worked on 3 relatively small (tens of KLOCs of JS/HTML Angular code) before reading this book. Had contact before with most of the subjects covered in the book (my experience with directives being relatively the weakest part).

As for the book:
Pretty solid introduction to Angular framework. Contrary to most books these days I didn't have a feeling of slow pace (I'd say it is just OK). Size of the book (~300 pages) is IMHO enough for introduction that generally
Arun Mahendrakar
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I'll start with the positives.

The book has some good information on the basics about AngularJS. The author has no doubt explained the concepts of this new programming model in a very easy and understandable manner.

The chapters in the book start slow, but pick up the pace pretty quickly. Building the app along with the book in the Chapter 4 helped me understand a lot more about the subject.

Chapter 8 also has some very good code samples that will assist you when
Shai Sachs
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
A good overview, but I would have appreciated a little bit of a more "backstage" view of Angular - i.e., how it all works behind the scenes. I find that is often most helpful in figuring out why the framework doesn't work the way I think it should.

I should also add that the book sort of fell apart around chapter 7 - I found that chapter a bit more disorganized and less-helpful than the rest of the book. The sidebar on $scope.apply was almost comically unclear, despite its pretense of
Nels
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech-books
From the conclusion: “Our aim with this book was to provide a solid foundation from which one can begin her explorations and become comfortable with developing in AngularJS.”

With that, I'd say they achieved their goal. It's not a very thorough book, giving only a basic treatment to most Angular concepts. I got it during a 50% off sale, and for $7.49 it's a decent book. For $15... I'm not sure. There's a lot of info on the internet about Angular which probably covers the same topics w
Austin
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
A large number of the examples are incorrectly printed and won't work without changes, which left me with an awful taste in my mouth. I was unsure whether they were misprinted on purpose, as an exercise to the reader to figure out what was wrong, or if the author/editors really never bothered to check any of the example code. Book was ok otherwise, although much of the examples aren't much better than the examples on the official AngularJS site.

See Errata page at http://oreilly.com/catalog/errata.csp...
Nephi
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a good introductory book to Angular, the examples were useful and the presentation was great for reading cover to cover. It was short, but, I still feel like I could edit existing Angular code after having read it.

With that said, I do not feel that I could create new functionality from only what I learned in this book. I will need to invest more time into working other examples to enable that kind of work.
David
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Excellent introduction to the beginner and intermediate front-end dev. This or something of similar quality is necessary for the newer JS dev to get started as there's far too steep a learning-curve to tackle. Perhaps most importantly it starts the important step of establishing the necessary patterns which - for the beginner - are wholly unknown. Though like most JS books it's at risk of becoming dated rapidly.
Anton Antonov
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really lacking. Book is a list of individual chapters tied together. Or at least that's what my impression was at the time of reading it.

It felt really disjointed and badly directed. The Angular documentation had better tutorials at that time and I can't say the Angular documentation is good even to date.

I recommend going for the AngularJS Up and Running book which is the new edition of this book that does justice.
Caio Paiva
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't particularly like the 20 page code example kind of books. But other than that this is a great introduction to angular, and the integration with RequireJS and testing with jasmine and Karma were definitely a plus for the book.
Paul Whelan
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Many of the examples had simple mistakes that I eventually figured out but could of done without the hassle of debugging.

Difficulty level varies dramatically.

I ended up learning more from egghead.io

Daniel Aguilar
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice and extensive introduction to AngularJS. Some subjects are covered only superficially, but more than enough to get you going. I found some typos that made me re-read twice, and also some passages could be improved, but overall it covers most, if not all, Angular's features well enough.
Ravishankar Radhakrishnan
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: javascript
If you are a novice in angular, I will definitely recommend this book. Every feature in angular js well augmented and explained with examples. This is undoubtedly one of the best books on angular in the market
Ahmed Attyah
This book is one of the first books about angularjs, it doesn't have in-depth info about the framework, but does a great job as introductory book to the framework, make sure to check the errata since there are many mistakes.
Ted
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Pretty good book,. a decent intro. Angular is an up and coming technology driven by Google, and one with a lot of promise.
Abdulfattah Popoola
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some Aha moments and a good brief overview of what AngularJS offers.
Tshepo
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I worked through this together with the Egghead videos. Besides being a little dated, the explanations are clear and are meant to make sense.
Niklas Nihlén
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think it was off to a great start in the first chapters then starting with the tools chapter it started to introduce to many new (for me complex) things simultainiusly.
André Gomes
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This good really helped me to go beyond the basics in AngularJS.
Nov 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
My rating is more about technology than how this book is written. What happened to progressive enhancement?
Katherine

• Pro React
  • Web Development with Node and Express: Leveraging the JavaScript Stack
  • Node.Js the Right Way: Practical, Server-Side JavaScript That Scales
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Life After Google: The Fall of Big Data and the Rise of the Blockchain Economy

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »