Rob's Reviews > AngularJS

AngularJS by Brad Green

bookshelves: 2013, technical, javascript

I would rate this one as a pretty solid introduction to AngularJS, covering the framework's philosophy, the core APIs, and getting into a few (but not all) of the nuts-and-bolts. By the time you get to the end of it, you should be able to build a non-trivial app in Angular -- though the jury's out on exactly how non-trivial that will be. Green and Seshadri have a clear and straightforward approach to presenting the material (no tricks!) and it (mostly) helps that they're both so deeply involved in the framework's development.

I had quite a few "ah-ha" moments while reading this one, enough to get me better engaged with "the Angular Way" and to see some mistakes and pitfalls I was making in my own apps. Unfortunately, despite how clear Green and Seshadri are throughout the text, there are still a few concepts that don't quite ring totally clear. In particular: (1) there is a whole chapter on directives and yet at the end of it, I was not sure that I understood them that much more than when I started [1]; (2) whither filters?; (3) I have a sneaking suspicion that they slyly snuck in a few of the kinda/sorta undocumented features of the core Angular libraries without really mentioning it. [2]

Overall, the book is well-structured, with clearly titled chapters, making it easy to jump around and cherry-pick what you need out of it. If you're new to Angular, I highly recommend this book and urge you to (at a minimum) read the first four chapters.

----

[1]: That being said: you can tell just how important Green and Seshadri think directives are, and also just how complicated they think they are. Directives are introduced pretty early on, and then they get their own chapter, and then there's another more detailed (and arguably more useful) illustrative example in the "Cheatsheet and Recipes" chapter. (Which, by the way, would have been better titled as "Case Studies" -- but I digress.) Anyway: I'm thinking that directives are just one of those things that's critical to "the Angular Way" but is also fairly complex (incidentally or otherwise?) and you just need to find your own "ah-ha" moment.

[2]: I say kinda/sorta because the Angular documentation (you may have noticed) is broken down into an "API Reference" and a "Developer Guide" and it isn't always clear which features are documented where. Or why something is documented in one but not the other (or else why it's in both...) So maybe I'm being a little unfair when I say "snuck in" and "undocumented" but... well: that's how it felt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read AngularJS.

July 18, 2013 – Started Reading
July 21, 2013 –
July 21, 2013 –
page 47
July 22, 2013 –
55.0% "The bit on $http was OK (no huge surprises, though I did learn some things) and/but next up is directives where I'm hoping to learn quite a bit."
July 22, 2013 –
65.0% "Directives: you need a quiet place to sit and concentrate if you want to understand half of what there is to know about them."
July 24, 2013 –
72.0% "An eclectic potpourri of tips and undocumented features!"
July 24, 2013 – Finished Reading