Start by marking “Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster” as Want to Read:
Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster

Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster

Whether you’re a startup founder trying to disrupt an industry or an intrapreneur trying to provoke change from within, your biggest challenge is creating a product people actually want. Lean Analytics steers you in the right direction.

This book shows you how to validate your initial idea, find the right customers, decide what to build, how to monetize your business, and h
Published March 18th 2013 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lean Analytics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean Analytics

Start your review of Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
Steph S.
This is a tough review to structure and write. First, I am not the ideal reader for this book. Although I am learning web design and care about accountability and embrace technology in my professional life, I am not trying to launch anything at scale and certainly not with VC money.

But the single most striking thing about Eric Ries's book, original recipe Lean Startup (Ries was the Editor of Lean Analytics, but the publisher here is O'Reilly not Crown Business), was how readily applicable his co
Sebastian Gebski
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll start with 3 advices:
1.) Start with reading the subtitle
2.) Then read the subtitle
3.) And finally - read the subtitle

This book is not about analytics in general or even analytics in lean production / development. It's just & only about analytics in terms of building & developing a Lean Startup. If you're fine with this assumption, you'll love it. Why?

* TONS of examples, all of them under the actual names - and we're talking about really known brands here
* VERY comprehensive approach to vari
Kelly Reid
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another disjointed analysis with specifics about my company that I shouldn't tell people.

Lean Analytics

10: Ratios are good for comparing factors that are opposed or have some kind of tension. A good metric changes behavior.

12: Types of Metrics - Qual / Quant, Exploratory / Reporting, Leading / Lagging, Correlated / Causal ( If you find a relationship between something you want and something you control, you can change the future )

14: We care about active users, because it probably lead-indicates
Heather Aislinn
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Needed to read this for the Growth Tribe academy.
It's very insightful and gives a lot of examples. However, there's a load of different kinds of information, therefore I have a feeling I didn't remember everything.
Ahmad hosseini
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: web developers, data scientist and entreprenuers
Shelves: management, web
Lean startups core concept is build-> measure-> learn. Learn analytics focuses on measure stage.
The authors believes that there are six business model e-commerce, SaaS, mobile apps, media site, user-generated content, and marketplace. They describe these models in details and introduce the important metrics for each one.
I think, in these business models media site is simplest and marketplace is most complex model.
After introducing business models book introduces Lean analytics stage that includ
Caroline Gordon
The one metric that matters (OMTM) is the key measurement you need to be be making of your current endeavour. My endeavour to learn all about building products and the business that build products seems to be measured right now by the number of books I'm reading on the topic, so +1 to that!
Lean Analytics builds on the Lean Startup and presents some quite prescriptive ways to views various types of internet businesses. It's an easy quick read but I don't think it will stand the test of time, it's
kartik narayanan
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read the full review at my site Digital Amrit

Measuring something makes you accountable. You’re forced to confront inconvenient truths. And you don’t spend your life and your money building something nobody wants

What is the book about?
Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Startup Faster is written by Alistair Croll and Benjamin Yoskowitz. It is part of the ‘Lean Startup’ series started by Eric Ries in his seminal book ‘The Lean Startup’. In a nutshell, Lean Analytics focuses on the ‘measure’ portio
Maciek Wilczyński
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Period. Full of "meat", contentful and actionable from the next business day.

If you're into start-ups or at least anything connected to cutting-edge digital marketing you need to read it. It's one of these books like: "Lean Start-up", "Rework", "Business Models Generation" and "Startup Manual". It's a must-read and I'm surprised that it took me so long to get to it.

Even though I knew about 90% metrics, it was still useful to put them into the right context. Especially, adding the case s
Jacek Bartczak
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Instincts are experiments. Data is proof." - it is a good summary of Lean Analytics, the book about data-driven decision-making. The book describes 2 areas: stages of a startup development and a couple of scalable business models. Each part is full of case studies and business insights. If you already read Lean Startup or The Startup Owner's Manual probably the first part would be less interesting.

The abundance of examples makes Lean Analitycs helpful for each job which requires entrepreneuria
Jose Restrepo
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Comprehensive book on analytics you should be looking for in your business. Since it covers a vast array os business models it can get a little tiring at the end, however, if you're reading for your business you can skip around to the parts that make sense for you. Very clear and didactic with formulas, examples (different examples, not the same ones used over and over). Will definitely be referencing it over time. Not more of the same. I recommend it!
Chris
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty dry at times, but definitely worth the read for any project manager, product manager, scrum master, or product owner. The insights here - when put to good use - are probably worth their weight in gold.
Felipe Gonçalves Marques
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book floats between principles and recipes for lean Analytics very well. It provides nicer use cases, segmentations of business model and examples. On the other hand, the examples could be more concrete , showing in a more didactic manner how the data was used and the decision was made.
Soumik Ray
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved how the book is structured. This book works brings a great clarity on which metrics to track depending on the type and the stage of your business.
Surbs
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
i thought this was a pretty practical and helpful book. it helped me gain a better perspective on analytics as a whole for different types of businesses. it was also pretty fun to read.
Matias Koskinen
The first six chapters provide an exceptional introduction to the world of data-driven decision-making. Most of the content cover analytics frameworks for startups of varying kinds and at different lifecycle stages. These you might find useful or not.
Tom Stofmeel
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The book is an interesting read especially for somebody working in the startup scene. It introduces a lot of key concepts and throughout reading the book ideas about implementing these in the business you are working for are constantly brought to your mind. You are sparked to think about how the concepts in this book relate to the business you are working in.

However, the book keeps its information really generic and the examples included are more open doors than eye openers. Maybe because the bo
Louis
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-stats, business
Lean Analytics bills itself as how data can be used as a startup. But it really is how you use data to make and check business decisions. And it takes the discussion of key performance indicators and puts them into a context where 1. data is readily available and 2. analyzing the data is relatively easy if you knew what data to look for and what and why you are analyzing it.

The first part is fairly standard fare for metrics oriented organizations. A discussion of what data is, how to choose meas
Eleonora Pogorelova
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Konstantin Valiotti
The idea of focusing on "One Metric That Matters" (which is different for different stages of the product) is pretty good by itself. Author provides certain ideas of what those metrics should be, and how could you integrate that into working on your product.

But while the idea is good, most of the book is filled with vague estimations. I don't see any reason to include chapters, which are concerned with certain benchmarks for different metrics. This might simply be misleading.

The numbers make th
Pankaj Ghanshani
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: analytics
Super awesome for anyone wanting lots of ready made gyan and benchmarks on analytics
Highly recommend for product managers!!
Quan Mt
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This books helped me a lot to understand how to measure stuff going on with my startup
Juanmi
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
- Re-readability: have on the shelf and check random passages often
- Note: 5/5
- On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDmAXapTQ...

Lean Analytics book
Tom Purdom
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
One Metric that Matters - what a simple, yet powerful concept that can drive change across an organization department by department.
Yu Takk
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A good, practical book for entrepreneurs, product owners, marketers etc.
Not so "Lean"... not even focused on "analytics".
It was not what I expected (I expected something more about data analysis, not about how to build a startup), but it might be useful when I actually work for a startup or make a startup.

[Takeaways]
- what makes a good metric?
1. Comparative,
2. understandable,
3. a ratio or a rate,
4. that changes the way you behave

- Avoid "vanity" metrics such as page views, number of follower
Marcell Nimführ
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
Maybe I am just at the right junction to get the most out of this book - a few months before launching my app, that is. But I can say with conviction that this is the best digital marketing / startup book I have ever read.

Most other books are written by authors who had success and re-engineered the experience into a blue-print. These books have ton of advice that might or might not fit in the readers case. Most often they are not transferrable.

Lean Analytics is not even short on actionable adv
Quinten Selhorst
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Must read if you want to start applying a data-driven approach in your day-to-day activities on the job. I believe the book adds at least as much value for those who are earning their bread and butter in a corporate environment, compared to those who are doing it in the field of entrepreneurship.

An important insight I would like to share: due to the success of the book and the important lessons one can learn by reading it, it has attracted a lot of bloggers / DIY websites who have been blogging
Taylor
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unequivocally my favorite book on analytics beyond from lean and far beyond. It's a book on modern business practices evolving out the startup world, it's a book on how to make data informed business decisions and also one with practical baselines to start with.

The clarity that this book provides based on the stage and type of business you are in is incredibly clear (and even visual) and is unrivaled. So much confusion abounds about what to track when and you can literally just point to that pa
Izan Coomonte
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Super recommended book with amazing real-life examples if you want to learn about start-ups, analytics, different business models, how to grow your start-up, which metrics you should be paying attention to, etc. Here is the key content and why you should read it:

- Detailed explanation on Data Analytics, it's frameworks, stages, what are they, why do they matter.
- Understand the key 6 business models (e-commerce, SaaS, Free mobile App, Media Site, User-Generated Content and Two-sided Marketplaces
Daniel
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: data-stats
This book is part of O’Reilly’s Lean series & written by two Canadians with deep product management roots in the tech & startup space. While focused on ‘lean startups’, much of the info is broadly relevant to any resource-constrained analytics practice. There are also specific sections geared towards ‘intrapreneurs’, as well as sections focused on analytics for media websites (of personal / professional interest to me). Not a technical book, but is oriented towards real-world application & best ...more
Aayush
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing, startups
Though this book is aimed at startups, I find it a relevant read for all business that operates online.

The author did a good job at explaining the most prevalent business models and explaining the metrics needed to measure growth.

There's a separate section at the end, where he laid down the industrial benchmark data on the metrics given in the book.

Recommended for marketers and online entrepreneurs.

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Business Model Generation
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »