Start by marking “Daimones (Daimones Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daimones (Daimones Trilogy, #1)

Daimones

(Daimones Trilogy #1)

The death and re-birth of the human race.

Nothing could have prepared them for the last day. Explore the future of humanity in Massimo Marino's sci-fi debut, Daimones, an apocalyptic tale that feels like it could happen tomorrow. You may never sleep through a windstorm again.

Death swept away the lives of billions, but spared Dan Amenta and his family, leading them to an unc
ebook, Second, 330 pages
Published September 23rd 2012 by FoS (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Daimones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daimones

The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniMemoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakLife of Pi by Yann Martel
Foreign Lands
2,087 books — 2,337 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareAllegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClarePandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Upcoming Books of 2012 & 2013
2,312 books — 3,688 voters

More lists with this book...

Rose
This was a really good story - well written, well edited, and different from other books I have read - not to say it was totally original, but from my point of reference I have not read one similar.

The flow of this book was different than I am used to. Generally, they start slow and build up to the climax. I found myself totally interested in this one from the start, but about a third of the way it started to get a bit dull and stayed that way until the last quarter, then got really exciting.

Ul
Natasha Slight
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recently, I have had the immense pleasure of reading Daimones, by Massimo Marino. We begin with excerpts of real news articles about the death of thousands of fishes and birds. For those of you who keep up with current events, you will have noticed that the internet has been peppered these past few years with such articles.

Our main character Dan is a loving family man who does the daily drone of going to work. What I really enjoyed at the beginning of the book is the description of the work envi
Richard Bunning
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book. Some parts of it held my attention like a vice. I can still hear the roar of roller blades, the shatter of glass, the cawing of circling crows.
Some passages needed a touch more editing. However, the little stutters in the flow, the very occasional clumsy phrase, certainly didn't spoil the book. I guess it might if you happen to be the sort of grammarian that suffers pain from every linguistic deviation, but then you must often be short of reading.
I had the constant nag
Randy
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've liked post-holocaust tales going all the way back to the many series of the seventies. Some of the more recent books in this genre haven't been as enjoyable. This book, first of a trilogy, changed all that.

A slight twist has our hero Dan taking his daughter to school one early morning to find dead all over the highway, vehicles crashed, no help anywhere. He learns that most of the world, at least that in and around their home in rural France near the Swiss border, dead, apparently at the sa
Joy D. Fanning
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

I flew through this book! The action started very quickly and from that point on things progressed nicely. I liked the moral dilemmas Dan had to go through and when the reason for all the destruction is given, it is quite interesting indeed!

As a huge fan of science fiction I feel this book is a must read for all who claim to be fans of that genre. It has a great plot and premise that push the story in ways that just take a normal
Susan Keefe
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting story which I thoroughly enjoyed listening to. It is well thought out and a refreshing change from the usual post-apocalyptic zombie novel.

If you woke up and discovered everyone outside your house was dead, what would YOU do?

Well Dan and his wife Mary have to not only decide what to do, but also how to shield and protect their daughter Annah from the realities which now face them.

Thoughtfully written and logical, the decisions, and how they react to each experience ma
Angela
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was really great with an exceptional ending. I am very excited to read the sequel. A new twist on apocalyptic futures and the strength and healing of the human race.
Masquerade Crew
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
REVIEWER: PEN

4.0 ON THE MASQ SCALE

How would you feel if you went to sleep one night then awoke to discover you and your family were the only survivors in a now-silent world?

That's exactly what happens to Dan, his wife, Mary and their daughter, Annah.

They live in Switzerland but quickly realize that whatever happened struck globally: via the Internet they discover no one else is alive as far as they can tell.

What follows after this initial discovery is the kicking-in of survival instincts: gather
Daniela Palazzotto
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Daimones was a pleasant surprise. English is not my language but reading the book by Massimo Marino was simple and addictive. From the very beginning, and until the end, the rhythm is tight, and the writing evocative. The plot has a strong American footprint: I have readily associated "Daimones" with Stephen King, for the strength of the characters, and Cormac McCarthy (The Road), for the suggestive places descriptions and the post-apocalyptic scenarios. I liked better the descriptions than the ...more
Raymond Bolton
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To say that Daimones is an exceptional work, is an understatement. To say it is unusual, even more so. While it lacks the action most science fiction thrives on, Massimo Marino maintains tension almost from the story’s outset and doesn’t let it drop until the story’s unexpected conclusion. With a clarity of language and style few writers achieve, his elegantly painted scenes transport the reader straight to Geneva where, after a windstorm throws the protagonist out of his everyday existence into ...more
Larry B Gray
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Daimones by Massimo Marino is a post-apocalyptic book with a slightly different take on the storyline. It was a great read and I found it hard to put down once I started reading the book.

The author is an excellent story teller, weaving a tail of survival which was well thought-out and developed. The story was deep but it was also easy to follow. I often found myself pondering what he said and thinking wow.

I really enjoyed the characters. They were very believable and easy to relate to. Massimo M
Jean Brandenburg
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The beginning of this was a bit boring, but then it got really good! I love a good "stranded on a desert island" story, and this was sort of that, except everyone on earth is dead. Well almost everyone. There was an interlude towards the end I didn't think was necessary, and the explanation of what happened was pretty dry as well, though well thought out. So I guess I really liked about 90% of the book.
Jason
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I was given a free copy of this ebook.

I found that I really enjoyed this story. It was a lot of fun to read and I kept looking forward to times that I could sit down and continue on. For starters the storytelling is superb. There was just enough back-story to help me understand the protagonist before launching in to some pretty serious action. I loved the apocalyptic moment itself because I continually wondered what actually happened. I wanted to know more! This kept me on the e
Crissy Stanley
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalypse
I was really blown away by this book. I really liked it a lot. First let me say that I don't give drawn out technical reviews about the protagonist and antagonist etc etc...blab blab. I don't like reading them and wont write one. I want to know if a book was enjoyed by someone with similar tastes as my own. I have to say that if you liake post apocalyptic stories you will love this book. The first couple chapters were a little rough...but it quickly picked up and was smooth sailing from then on. ...more
Kristy Centeno
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all let me just say that the main reason why I enjoyed this book was because it wasn’t the overly done, end of the world novel we’re probably so tired of seeing or reading about. Don’t get me wrong, I love zombies just as much as the next gal, but honestly, everyone’s done it already. This story is original and different, which was incredibly refreshing.

As I read, there were times when I began to envision myself in the protagonist shoes and let’s just say it wasn’t very pleasant. I don’
FS Meurinne
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, reviews
"ARC received for honest review"

What an interesting start of a new trilogy. This is the story of Dan, his wife Mary and Annah their daughter, and how they life where completely changed overnight. This is novel about the apocalypse, how a family finds out that everything they knew has changed forever.

I found it quite interesting, as it’s not the regular story, yes it’s about the apocalypse, how they need to survive and adapt to their new life. The writing is enjoyable and in cases it had a bit of
Jennifer Blake
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this post apocalyptic story for the thinking person, Marino explores a myriad of moral and emotional issues as well as the mechanics of everyday survival. The timeline is natural, unforced and the European setting adds a fresh perspective. The exploration of human relationships and their importance, of, personalities and memories, provide real heart for the tale. Though sci-fi is not my usual genre, I enjoyed Daimones, and look forward to the next two books in this intriguing trilogy.
Sunni Morris
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
What would you do if You Woke One Day to find your life had Completely Changed?

That’s exactly what happens to Dan, his wife Mary, and their daughter Annah, in this debut novel by Massimo Marino. This book gives the reader a different view of the apocalypse.

Dan and his family had the almost-perfect life in the French countryside until a mysterious windstorm in February. Nobody realized that anything unusual had happened until it was time to drive Annah to school. Vehicles of every type littered t
Lynne Cantwell
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, dystopian
This book has a number of problems.

First, a quick synopsis: Daimones is set in and around Geneva, Switzerland. Dan works for a firm in Geneva, but he, his wife and his daughter live in a sort of exurb across the border in France. One day, he's fired from his job and goes home. A day or two later, there's some kind of weird windstorm that wakes him and his wife in the middle of the night; the next morning, they discover every other human in the world is dead. Or, to be more precise, nearly every
Rabid Readers Reviews
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it

Daimones is a polarizing novel. I believe that though I neither loved Daimones nor hated it, the ends of the spectrum will be the reality of other readers. Daimones is a reflective novel. Set in a post-apocalyptic world it is rife with symbolism. Marino and Stroud set a tone of an event that could really happen prefaced with real news stories. Could Dan have stopped the oncoming apocalypse if only he had given his attention to the world around him and not to the co-worker who was kissing tushie?
Rachel Sanders
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
K. Fritz
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has a slow pacing that took me a bit to get used to, however I soon realized I was experiencing the slow progress from bewilderment to preparation and finally acceptance of the new world that Dan has found himself in. Unlike so many other apocalypse stories, this one is not populated with the monsters (zombies, vampires, etc.) we all come to expect. Yes, these can be fun to read but also rather predictable. Marino's story is just the opposite. I was thoroughly immersed in Dan's world, ...more
Jill
Imagine waking up to find you are the only family left on earth? That is the opening premise of Daimones. Dan, Mary and Annah awaken one morning, go about their morning routines and discover that everyone is dead on the way to school. Deeply shocked and full of despair, Dan and his family learn how to survive after a great, if unknown, tragedy has befallen the human race. This story follows Dan, and his desire to protect and care for his family, survive, seek out other survivors and discover wha ...more
Jeannie Walker
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
We all have said or thought ‘What if?” at one time in our lives.
Why did the strange death of birds and fish cause alarm among naturalists and environmentalists in all nations?
Birds and fish die every day, don’t they?
What would you do if you were taking your child to school one morning to find death everywhere with automobiles crashed all over the place? Where are all the people that should be alive here and around the world?
I liked that it was in the firs-person narrative. I must say this is a
Isis
Diamones Trilogy #1 - Massimo Marino

I was lucky enough to receive this free in exchange for an honest review, and found it to be an enjoyable read. The story begins with absolutely zero indication of what is to come. And what is to come is a story of vast dimensions.

This book is challenging to review without including spoilers, which I try to avoid whenever possible. Interestingly, the longer I think about the story the more details I discover to have been hidden in plain sight. I was so focus
Liz Barnsley
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for the review copy.

Dan Amenta woke up one morning to discover the world had changed…the Apocalypse had arrived.

Death, destruction, and disaster were wreaking havoc across the globe. Yet Dan and his family remained untouched and he sensed some sort of supernatural power had left them the only three people alive on Earth. They were not.

Post Apocalyptic novels are my favourite kind and this one was in the way of being slightly different to the norm. The end comes quietly an
Lalo Lafleur
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Daimones by Massimo Marino

This story offers a unique perspective on how one family handles the end of the world as they know it.

Instead of a world-wide sweeping account of what happens, this story centers on one family. They are going about their daily lives when overnight, everything changes. I got involved in these characters. I felt their angst. I was invested in their daily lives. Then suddenly, the world changed.

I was with them as they accepted their new reality. I was with them when they
James A.
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What A Jewel!

This is quite simply a brilliant sci-fi novel and story.

It is a post-apocalyptic vision that is stunning in its breadth and complexity. It easily rivals the power of Stephen King's THE STAND and Neville Shute's ON THE BEACH.

Animals are suddenly and mysteriously dying by the thousands and soon the people follow. Only Dan Amenta and his wife and daughter seem to have survived. They find themselves alone on the planet in Switzerland and begin the search for other survivors.

Massimo Mari
Dixiane Hallaj
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What if your family woke one morning and everyone else was gone?

Daimones is an unusual post-apocalyptic novel in that even the apocalypse occurs quietly. It is a book of reasonable believable reactions in the face of an unreasonable reality. Dan and his wife and child appear to be the only humans left alive. They prepare for the inevitable degradation of resources and search for other survivors.
The author immerses the reader in the thoughts of an intelligent, well-educated person facing the real
Leighton
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, having been to Geneva many times it was easy to imagine the setting. A well rounded story that pulled me in early on and resulted in me reading it quickly in a couple of sessions ( I also had one of those stay up too late sessions to finish the last few chapters). Great effort, oh and it was free!

How I review...
1 star - binned it before half way, please don't write anymore!!!
2 stars - finally binned it after really trying, I mean really trying and I hate to not fi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kindle Unlimited ...: Daimones Trilogy 9 17 Jan 27, 2016 11:44AM
Free Books, .99, ...: Print Edition - Daimones, Vol. 1 of the Daimones Trilogy. Booktrope Publishing. 1 4 Jan 06, 2016 06:24AM
Kindle Deals: 0.99 SALE 1 4 Dec 27, 2015 12:49PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: Available From NetGalley 1 4 Aug 20, 2015 01:25AM
Apocalypse Whenever: Speed giveaway: Daimones by Massimo Marino 5 15 Aug 02, 2015 09:32AM
Writers and Readers : Traditional Publishing Galore 1 16 Jul 31, 2015 05:59AM
Giveaway 1 1 Jul 21, 2015 06:03AM

• Hidden in Plain Sight: The Other People in Norman Rockwell's America
  • The Sundered
  • Submerged (Outbreak, #1)
  • Girl Under Glass (Glass And Iron, #1)
  • Vaporware
  • The Super Spud Trilogy
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • Sweet Holy Motherfucking Everloving Delusional Bastard
  • Shape of Secrets (46. Ascending, #2)
  • The Biomass Revolution (The Tisaian Chronicles #1)
  • Time Fall
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Under the Black  Ensign
  • The Breadwinner (The Breadwinner Trilogy, #1)
  • From Mangia to Murder
  • Virginia is for Zombies
  • Lessness and More
  • The Light and the Dark

Massimo Marino is an author with Booktrope Publishing LCC, an Active Member of SFWA— the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America association—and member of the CODEX group—https://www.codexwriters.com

He is the Author of multi-awarded Daimones Trilogy: Daimones, Once Humans, The Rise of the Phoenix: The Daimones Trilogy, Vol. 3
Currently writing "The Law" - a YA Urban SF novel.

He's a scient

Daimones Trilogy (3 books)
  • Once Humans (Daimones Trilogy #2)
  • The Rise of the Phoenix (Daimones Trilogy, #3)
“What did the Romans say? “De gustibus non est disputandum”: It is worthless to discuss personal taste. It is called 'personal' for a reason.” 10 likes
“I will never give up. Remind yourself of this, we can survive and we will survive.” 3 likes