Start by marking “The Vegucation of Robin: How Real Food Saved My Life” as Want to Read:
The Vegucation of Robin: How Real Food Saved My Life

The Vegucation of Robin: How Real Food Saved My Life

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Howard Stern’s celebrated sidekick, Robin Quivers, presents her vegan cookbook and manifesto with more than 90 healthy recipes for the home cook.

Known for her levelheaded, deadpan comebacks to Howard Stern’s often outrageous banter, Robin Quivers has developed an image as a powerful force. Yet few people know about her struggles with food—especially the high-fat, high-suga
Published March 26th 2012 by Avery: Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Vegucation of Robin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vegucation of Robin

James
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I said before. It's a really good account of a real (well, celebrity real) person who liked real food, who got fed up (no pun...OK, pun intended) with being sick and tired and out of shape and how she found salvation in whole, vegan food. The tone of the book is great - not too preachy but a bit 'oh my god! i can't believe this!, which some may not love, though. A little too much dropping in on a few gurus of the vegan scene, but if you can skim over those bits it's still incredibly helpful ...more
Anna Thomas
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Robin Quivers's book, The Vegucation of Robin, has great info and she had a noble reason for writing it. I believe she truly wants to help others who are unhealthy and unaware that the "healthy" American diet is slowly killing them, and, certainly, the unhealthy one is torturing them. Yes, it's a vegan book, but she doesn't let vegans off the hook once they put down the animal products. I am reminded that my consumption of sugar and processed foods is putting me at risk for the same diseases, ac ...more
Darren
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A humour-filled look at what was a serious matter (serious health problems) and the changes that were made for the better is what this hybrid autobiography/self-help/recipe book is, albeit with a sticker price that you might need a sense of humour to stomach at first glance.

For fans of the Howard Stern radio programme, author Robin Quivers will be no stranger, playing straight woman to some of Howard's excesses. What is perhaps less known is the author's major struggles with her diet that doomed
Christy
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
These recipes look really good! Will have to give some of them a shot.
Jessi Payne
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Funny, empowering and inspirational.
Beth
Howard Stern's sidekick of many years and former nurse Robin Quivers is convinced that changing to a vegan lifestyle saved her life. Continuously complaining of aches and pains all throughout her body, Quivers's path to veganism had many twists and turns, but ultimately she discovered that all of her symptoms went away when she eliminated animal products from her diet.

Half of this book is Robin sharing her story of why veganism is such an important lifestyle choice and the other half are the pla
Tina Hayes
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Robin Quivers' The Vegucation of Robin is a cookbook I was really excited to buy. Of course the recipe were the reason I wanted it, but the reading material in the first part of the book was informative as well. Ms. Quivers recounts her personal journey, from junk food junkie to vegan, explains why she made the choices along the way; her goal in writing this seems to genuinely be to encourage people to make healthier food choices.

You don't have to do the cleanses, but she gives insightful infor
Nneka
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
There is a lot of information floating around the web questioning Robin's qualifications to give health and nutrition advice. Fortunately for me, I do not know much about Robin and her career, and I have never listened to the Howard Stern show. I had an opportunity to read the book without pre conceived notions about her merit.

With that said, even though Robin may not be the best role model for a healthy vegan diet, there are some lessons and motivation to take away from this book. I am motivate
Allison
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in healthy cooking
I honestly thought when I checked this book out of the library that I really wouldn't learn anything new and that the recipes wouldn't be all that exciting. Well, I was very wrong. I love the way Ms. Quivers told her story of how she turned her health around and became a confident vegan cook.

Her frankness was refreshing, educational and entertaining all at the same time. And, I was delighted to discover that the recipes she includes in the book are all very close to the kind of cooking I do when
Darlene Regan
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found Robin's personal story inspirational and I have enjoyed all of the recipes that I've made so far. I am trying new produce items that would have scared me off before. She has taken away the uncertainty of working with these items. While some find Robin to be a bit preachy I look at her as someone who changed her life for the better through a major change in her food choices. She nearly died and more than likely can thank her healthy lifestyle changes prior to her diagnosis for being not o ...more
Gwen Junker
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was nice to hear Robin's journey to veganism- a relatable and info packed book from someone I've listened to on the radio for years.

Through much of my readings on plant based diet, I've come to the undeniable conclusion that it's the best for the body; however- I would criticize that many of her "facts" aren't cited lending skepticism to those not familiar with the lifestyle. I do like that she isn't pushy about becoming vegan- and you don't have to commit to it to be healthy. It is a very r
Emily Crow
The first half of this book is the author's description of how she found health through plant-based eating and detoxing, the second half is a set of vegan recipes. It all seemed pretty standard to me--the recipes looked fine, and I appreciated that they relied on vegetables and whole foods rather than vegan processed convenience foods, but since I already have quite a few vegan/vegetarian cookbooks on my shelves, I wasn't that excited by them. In other words, almost everything in the book is som ...more
Alex
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoy reading healthy cookbooks, so whenever I see one at the library (like this one!) I check it out.

This wasn't a bad book, it just didn't really have anything new to say. Robin's journey to veganism was interesting, but it didn't really resonate with me. Even though I'm not vegan or vegetarian, books like this usually make me want to change some eating habit of mine in the future, but this one just didn't.

That being said, I really appreciate that the recipes don't rely on faux meats or pr
Kim
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
saw this in the library & thought it'd be an entertaining read... nice to hear how a former "food addict" and junk-food junkie was able to really make the change. Hoping it will inspire me to be more consistent with my own dietary changes...
and, has great recipes -- which I normally don't enjoy, but these are pretty easy, include pics, & have basic ingredients. I made the butternut squash soup today -- delicious!
UPDATE: after renewing it so many times from the library, I decided to go on
Penny McGill
Jan 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I did not love this book. Based on the clever title I thought she would have way more of a sense of humour about food and hoped to see some interesting recipes but the book did not really provide that. Another element that disappointed me was that at least half of the book was a description of her life and experiences and not enough real fact or interviews with doctors and nutritionists to balance it. So, maybe my expectations were too high - on the humour scale - but it really was too much of a ...more
Mary McDonald
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found I really got into this book because she spoke regular people language in regard to the health and wellness concepts. I could really understand the relationships between food and the body that she was describing. I also liked there was a plan if you wanted to get started. I copied some of the recipies to try. If you want a technical book, this is not for you. If you want something simple, just to dip your toe in the water, this is for you.
Penny Tunnell
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Consisted and informative

If you don't enjoy the many nutritional books written today by celebrity doctors as I do, then this may be just the book that appeals to you. All the important reasons and explanations of why health should be your priority are clearly defined, but not long-winded. The recipes range from short and simple to longer with many ingredients. If you need to hear your health advice from someone who has been there, done that, this is the book you need.
Pamela
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting story! The recipes were simple, used real ingredients that I have in my kitchen, and each one I tried was delish. I liked that her writing style and up-front attitude with humor, it was entertaining. And I liked that her food choices don't rely on soy based meat alternatives like tofu, tempeh and such. All that said, it wasn't a great book and I'm glad I checked it out of the library because I wouldn't ever pick it up again.
Monique
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Eye-opening peek into Robin's journey into the world of being vegan. I've read many books on this subject but this was the most intriguing. The story is authentic and the voice is humorous. You have to shift your thinking and the transition will be workable. The recipes are simple and unbelievably delicious. A total home run.
Barbara
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Even though Robin is not educated in nutrition, this book is invaluable. She provides such helpful information and great recipes to get a "Vegan wannabe" started. A very inspirational book that really makes you think about how to improve your health in the same way that she did. She makes becoming a vegan seem very doable.
Gabby
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Even though her juice cleanse detox approach seems pushy, extreme, and something that I would never try (3 weeks without solid food!!), Quivers makes some solid points about medicine, doctors and being mindful of what you put in your body. Lots of interesting recipes and a useful appendix of seasonal fruits and vegetables are included.
Renee
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I love Robin and I'm glad she made it through her health struggles, but this book was really light on substance. The recipes can be googled online and I was hoping to learn more about Robin herself in the book.
Angelica
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: airport-reads
The book is a good start for people who are looking to change their eating habits. It leaves the reader with more questions to ask and it doesn't contradict other Vegan books . Not bad but not very informative if you've read others.
Dee
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan
It's interesting to discover why African American's, like myself, choose a vegan diet. Robin's book was well written and I learned much information about detoxing. Her recipes seem simple enough and do not rely on a lot of vegan convenience foods.
Lesley
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
The recipes seemed good enough but the first part of the book is her talk about health. Just came off a little too preachy for me and boy she likes her cleanses! Didn't like enough to want to add this to my cookbook collection.
Roland
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book. I did not know anything about her. Her story is interesting.
Terri
Another good testimonial of how a plant-based diet changed a life. Also, some good guidelines for cleanses, kitchen basics and pretty good recipes :)
Kendall
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoyed the POV and the recipes. Not so crazy about the juices and fasting aspect...
Monica
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Wish this had more recipes or more stories --was a little light on both.
Julie
Dec 13, 2013 added it
Eh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • How to Be Vegan: Tips, Tricks, and Strategies for Cruelty-Free Eating, Living, Dating, Travel, Decorating, and More
  • Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Mind, Body and Spirit
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead: How Fruits & Vegetables Changed My Life
  • Brad's Raw Made Easy: The Fast, Delicious Way to Lose Weight, Optimize Health, and Live Mostly in the Raw
  • 365 Vegan Smoothies: Boost Your Health With a Rainbow of Fruits and Veggies
  • VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health . . . for Good
  • Crazy Sexy Juice: 100+ Simple Juice, Smoothie  Nut Milk Recipes to Supercharge Your Health
  • The 5 Factor Diet
  • The Rawvolution Continues: The Living Foods Movement in 150 Natural and Delicious Recipes
  • Green Juicing Diet: Green Juice Detox Plan for Beginners—Includes Green Smoothies and Green Juice Recipes
  • The HappyCow Cookbook: Recipes from Top-Rated Vegan Restaurants around the World
  • The Plant-Based Journey: A Step-by-Step Guide for Transitioning to a Healthy Lifestyle and Achieving Your Ideal Weight
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • The End of Dieting: How to Live for Life
  • The Campbell Plan: The Simple Way to Lose Weight and Reverse Illness, Using The China Study's Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
Robin Ophelia Quivers is an American talk show host and Howard Stern's primary co-host on his morning radio show.

Quivers' autobiography was published in 1995, revealing to the world the details of her career as Stern's on-air "sidekick" with her distinctive laugh, as well as her former experiences in the military and and employed as a hospital nurse. The book also reveals the harrowing details of
More about Robin Quivers