Start by marking “At Night” as Want to Read:
At Night

At Night

On some nights, a snug bedroom is a hard place to fall asleep. On some nights, it's better to get away from slumbering, snoring family members and curl up alone with one's thoughts in the cool night air, under wide-open skies. In this charming bedtime fantasy, a sleepless city girl does just that, finding her surprising way to a serene rooftop version of a backyard campout ...more
Published July 24th 2007 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about At Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Night

Manybooks
Now the accompanying illustrations are both enjoyable and sweetly, delightfully detailed (with a lovely and evocative of nighttime colour scheme that I have found both aesthetically pleasing, even emotionally relaxing), and I also can definitely personally relate to the little girl not being able to bed down, to nod off and finally in desperation taking her pillows and blankets up to the flat rooftop patio of her house to try to fall asleep in the cool breezes of a city night. However and that a ...more
Jess
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Picture book
Winner of 2008 Boston Globe Horn Book Award
For preschool & up

A young girl can't fall asleep one night, and a breeze lures her onto the city rooftop.

A city night has rarely seemed so gentle as comforting as in this story, and it's enough to make you wish for your own rooftop to escape to on a sleepless night. The text is simple and rhythmic, perfectly complementing the soft but focused illustrations. Although the words and pictures tell the girl's story, there's another story happ
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
I liked this, but, it is looking a bit dated. It is about a girl who goes up on the rooftop to sleep because she cannot fall asleep in her room. Pretty illustrations though. My daughter would relate, she can never fall asleep.
Just doesn't really stand out in any particular way to me. Nice flow to the text though and simple enough for bedtime reading to a little one.
Abigail
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Reassuring Bedtime Books
Late one night a young girl lies awake in her bed in a city apartment. Listening to the soft breathing of her parents and siblings, she cannot get to sleep herself. Then, feeling a cool breeze from the window, she takes her pillow and blanket up to the roof and finally slips off to sleep under the night sky.

This debut title from picture-book author/artist Jonathan Bean, whose subsequent autobiographical stories - Building Our House , This Is My Home, This Is My School - were so engaging, offe
Cynthia Egbert
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
What a sweet story. This is just the perfect amount of sparse writing and illustrations to give you such a sense of the peace that comes when one follows when nature calls to your soul.
Susan
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storybook, 2019
There was something about this book that just worked for me. The illustrations are fantastic, but it went beyond that. I just really liked this book.
Mehsi
An adorable book perfect for the hot summer nights that are soon coming (at least here).

It is a hot summery night and our little girl cannot sleep. Everyone else in her home is fast asleep but she is melting out of her bed. She concocts a brilliant idea, something I wish I could have done when I was her age, but alas most houses here don't have a rooftop like hers (or are accessible like hers). Otherwise I would have definitely camped out a few times. :P

I loved how the girl first waited until h
Krista Lineweaver
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
At Night by Jonathan Bean is the 2008 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award winner picture book. This picture book is intended for the nursery and primary ages. It is about a little girl who couldn’t sleep at night, so she decided to sleep on the roof of her city house. There, on the roof, she was able to think and see the world and finally go to sleep. What isn’t said in the story but is shown in the illustrations is that her mother wakes up and follows her upstairs to the roof. This adds to the calmnes ...more
Bobby
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A brief story for younger kids...not much plot--or even text--here: basically, a little girl can't fall asleep in her room, and ends up following a breeze up to her roof where she finally falls asleep under the stars...the real charm of this book lies in its illustrations and more importantly, the nostalgia of childhood, with its simplicity and safety, that most of us have (far-too-deeply) buried inside us.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
One night, after everyone in her house is asleep, a young girl just can't get to sleep. Then, she feels a breeze in her room, takes her pillow and blanket and heads to the roof of her building, where she makes a cozy place to sleep in one of the chairs there. Not to worry, her mom isn't asleep either and shadows her daughter the whole way.
Dolly
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With a short narrative, few words on each page, a small square format, and soothing, muted colors, this is a great book to read at bedtime with young children. The story is simple, but still conveys a sense of adventure, with a young girl's nighttime trip to the roof to sleep.

I would be a bit cautious reading this book with my little monkey when she was young, in fear that she might want to get up on the roof, too. (She did it anyway.) But the family in the book obviously uses this roof as open
Jenny
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
A young girl has trouble falling asleep...until she climbs up on the roof with her pillow and blanket and fell asleep on the rooftop of her house in the middle of the city.
Cheryl
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
for cb pbc sept 2018
I wouldn't bother looking past Rolla, but one reviewer's praise made me think of Jan Ormerod's Sunshine (not a match, but an appeal akin) and so I'd like to see this.
-----------
Glad I did. Lovely little book. Small enough to carry upstairs to the roof along with nest-building bedding. Short enough to learn by heart. Art is just right: not too fancy, not too simple, not too bright, not too dark.... I want a rooftop 'patio' for warm summer nights myself, now!

And yes, though the
Beverly
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This was such as sweet, simple story of one young girl's insomnia. I'm guessing that she was too hot to sleep, so when the breeze came through her window, of course she wanted to follow it to someplace cooler--the roof. While lugging all her bedding upstairs, she unwittingly wakes her mother, who quietly follows her, but instead of telling her to get back to her room, allows her to sleep in the lounge chair on the roof. And the little girl is finally able to quiet her mind by thinking of the big ...more
Paul
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Read it to myself last thing last night and loved it, especially the "Awake" page. The square format, the small panels, and rich colors create the perfectly matched coziness. Bundling covers up stairs to create a rooftop bed adds an almost dream-like experience that reaches the soothing peak of drowsiness with nighttime city lights, moonlit glo, and the surrounding countryside. Visual poetry.
Carrie Gelson
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A gently, calm little story.
Regan Wimsatt
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The illustrations help lead the story. However the story itself is lacking.
Hannah Jones
It's night time. Mom and dad said goodnight. The lights are out. Everyone is asleep. I am awake and can't sleep. What will help me go to sleep?

I really liked reading At Night. I was exactly like this little girl when I was young. My brain would be wide awake and running wild like hers. It cracked me up that she took all of her bedding to her rooftop to sleep and her parents didn't care. I also really enjoyed the illustrations. The colors were all very comforting and the pictures told more than t
Amy Erwin
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Summary - The little girl was having a hard time falling asleep. She feels a breeze through her window and decides to go outside on their balcony where she is able to look up at the stars and it helps her fall asleep.

Response - I fund this book to be relatable to students and teachers. Life can consume us and seem difficult but we all need to do is go outside, get a breath of fresh air, and take a deep breath. Relaxation is the key to having a good night's sleep.

Classroom - I'm not sure how I w
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated. This book has a very peaceful feel. It follows the journey of a young girl through a sleepless night as she follows the breeze from her room to the roof of her apartment building, and rests and takes in the view. This would be a great book to use to teach children the concept of mindfulness. I also likes that the author included the mother in parts so we didn't have to worry about the girl's safety.
Sophia Tarullo
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At Night is a story of a young girl who cannot fall asleep in her home in the city. She goes up to the roof of her building, feels the breeze, and can finally sleep. In the illustrations, it is seen that her mother follows her up to the roof. The calming colors in the illustrations allow for the reader to feel relaxed.

This book would make for a good book to maybe read before a nap time or when you want the children to be calm. It would be a good book to read to grad K-2.
Kalynda
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good connection for any young child that loves sleeping under the night's sky, and also lives within a big city. My city doesn't have any such rooftop places, so a young child from my city, might have a hard time connecting to the images...but that is a conversation and stretch of experience within itself.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was super atmospheric for me. I personally love cracking a window during summer time and getting a lovely night time breeze, so I thought it was cute that this little girl who couldn't sleep finally was able to drift off when she went to the roof of their apartment complex. Very simple book, light on text, with a classic feel.
Jill
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this short book about bedtime to my children before they all fell asleep. The cadence and picture-to-word ratio was perfect for the situation. I enjoy Jonathan Bean's illustrations and this book was just as delightful as the others. Well-suited for the story.
Donna Mork
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book about a night breeze in the city and a young girl who goes to the rooftop to enjoy an evening of rest.
Kathryn Bergeron
Mary
Cute, quick story about the night from a little girl's perspective. My kids love another of Bean's books, BUILDING OUR HOUSE, so we thought we'd try this one, too.
Peter
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Well, that was just wonderful.
Virginia
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This quiet picture book perfectly captures the magic of a cool breeze on a hot summer night. It's gentle text and warm illustrations are perfect for bedtime. Enchanting!
Maren
I loved this, but the kids were bored.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Beauty and the Beast
  • How to Heal a Broken Wing
  • Roller Coaster
  • When the Sky Is Like Lace
“She lay in her bed on her house in the city, in the night, under the sky. She thought about the wide world all around her and smiled. She looked up, breathed, closed her eyes… and slept.” 0 likes