Hannah Jones's Reviews > At Night

At Night by Jonathan Bean

U 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: dr-cheri-smith-section-1-fall-2018

It's night time. Mom and dad said goodnight. The lights are out. Everyone is asleep. I am awake and can't sleep. What will help me go to sleep?

I really liked reading At Night. I was exactly like this little girl when I was young. My brain would be wide awake and running wild like hers. It cracked me up that she took all of her bedding to her rooftop to sleep and her parents didn't care. I also really enjoyed the illustrations. The colors were all very comforting and the pictures told more than the words did. At one point it talks about how she is walking across her room and is wanting to leave. The picture shows her peeping out the door to see that the coast is clear. The picture didn't state that she was peeping out the door. The pictures enhanced the story and gave more to the story without having to say certain things. Last, I really liked that her mother got up and joined her. In the story it looks like she has tea or coffee and is sitting outside, by her daughter, admiring the world as her daughter did. It shows how they are alike and it is a very sweet picture.

This book would be could for a science class. The little girl loves being outside because it's relaxing and beautiful. The class can discuss recycling, picking up trash and taking care of the earth. I can teach the kids that without taking part in caring for the earth it won't be as beautiful and it can't be admired as much. I could then put recycling boxes in my room or take them around the school to pick up trash.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Night.

October 18, 2018 – Started Reading