Start by marking “And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)” as Want to Read:
And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)

And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake (Rhymes With Love #2)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  2,424 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
Daphne Dale never could have imagined that when she answered an advertisement in the newspaper that she would find true love. Now she has the opportunity to meet her unknown suitor, but it means traveling to Tabitha’s wedding, and into the heart of her family’s sworn enemies. Everyone knows the Seldons are terrible rakes and bounders, but Daphne will risk anything to gain ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 353 pages
Published March 26th 2013 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake

Julie
Dec 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
I will be adding a review for this book closer to the release date. You can tell by my rating that I loved it. So, by all means plan to add this one to your must have list! It's a winner!
Aspasia
Le pondría tranquilamente tres estrellas y media.

"Seducida por un canalla" me ha gustado mucho. Nos encontramos con dos familias enfrentadas desde hace generaciones por... un motivo un tanto insignificante y de lo más sorprendente. No os diré nada más animaros a leer esta novela.

Daphne ha estado manteniendo correspondencia con el Sr. Dishforth y ha llegado el momento de conocerse en persona. ¿Cómo y dónde? En el baile de compromiso de su querida amiga Tabitha con Preston Seldon. Todo hubiera sid
Pepa
Lo recomiendo, sencillo pero tiene un no sé qué que me ha gustado mucho, la verdad.
Los personajes no paran de liar y liar y liar el tema hasta que incluso el final me ha sorprendido. Y su enamoramiento es pausado, como me gusta. Es como una comedia de enredo, llena de despropósitos, en la que lo que abundan son los diálogos entre ellos y, lo cierto, es que me he pasado todo el rato con una sonrisa en la boca.... tonta de mí jajajaja
Ahora deseando la historia de Harriet que promete muuucho

Aleri
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No conozco mucho de romance histórico pero me gusta lo que hace esta autora
Lisa
I love when a title fits a book perfectly and that is just the case with the newest from Elizabeth Boyle. Daphne Dale answered an advertisement in a newspaper on a whim and it has grown into so much more and she is determined to meet the mysterious Mr. Dishforth. When they agree through their corresponding to meet at her friends betrothal ball, she is elated to meet the man she has fallen for yet one look at Lord Henry Seldon, sworn adversaries of the Dale's, leaves her confused. She thinks Henr ...more
Huma Rashid
Jan 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. I've heard wonderful things about Elizabeth Boyle, and many of my friends recommend her highly. However, I found "And the Miss Ran Away With The Rake" to be almost a chore to get through.

The writing felt slightly off to me right from the start - stilted, halting, a little watery and weak. But that can easily be overcome with compelling characters and original - or if not original, exciting - plot choices.

What really sunk this book for me was the fact that I fo
librivore
Petite romance historique légère et sans prétention.
J'avais été attirée par la couverture et le titre. Je m'attendais à un roman épistolaire (je suis fan de ce genre littéraire), mais malheureusement il n'y avait pratiquement pas de lettres, juste des extraits.
Le livre se lit facilement. Certains passages m'ont fait sourire, et d'autres m'ont ennuyée.
Ce n'est pas un chef-d’œuvre, mais il m'a aidée à me vider la tête et à me détendre.
kris
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Daphne Dale would never--never!--consider marrying a Seldon. They're rascals and they hump things. Lord Henry Seldon would never--never!!--consider marrying a Dale. They're flirts and they beguile things. Except Daphne responds to a advertisement looking for a wife and ends up starting a correspondence with the sensible Mr. Dishforth who is YOU GUESSED IT LORD SELDON OH SNAP. Soon their boners are OUT OF CONTROLLLL.

1. Not enough correspondence. I wanted flirting and sassiness and a burgeoning s
Cherie
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I giggled, I laughed, I snickered, almost continuously. The comedy was subtle at times and predictable at other times but was always enjoyable. Sometimes I didn't realize I was laughing until I felt wetness at the edge of my eyes.

Daphne and Henry have just the right amount of stubbornness and pride. I never felt uncomfortable with them.
Shh I'm reading!
May 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I give this book 2 stars because I finished it, but it was really closer to a one for me. My criticisms start with the title (what were they thinking?) and continue from there. Henry and Daphne are 2 supposedly intelligent and sensible people who fall in love through letters using nom de plumes. After making plans to meet at a ball, we know that their love has a long road to HEA because the Seldons and Dales do NOT mix. Ever. Here was my biggest source of disgruntlement with the tale.
Where Boyl
Caz
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, romance-other, aar, fluff
I gave this a B- at AAR, so 3.5 stars

This is the second in Elizabeth Boyle’s Rhymes with Love series, in which the titles are ‘riffs’ on well-known nursery-rhymes. As with the previous book in the series (Along Came a Duke) the heroine is a resident in the village of Kempton in which the unmarried ladies labor under a terrible curse – that they are doomed to spinsterhood.

Daphne Dale is the best friend of Tabitha Timmons, heroine of book one and soon-to-be Duchess of Preston. As the best friend
Ann Keller
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Daphne Dale reads the advertisement, she’s delighted. “Sensible gentleman of means seeks sensible lady of good breeding for correspondence, and in due consideration, matrimony.” It’s just the sort of thing she’s been looking for. Posing as Miss Spooner, she replies to the ad, and begins an engaging correspondence with Mr. Dishforth, a gentleman entirely suited to her.

Fortunately, Mr. Dishforth is nothing like the womanizing, charming Lord Henry Seldon. The Seldons and Dales have detested ea
Ana M. Román
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 Estrellas
Me ha gustado aunque no tanto como el anterior que leí de la autora, y que supuso mi descubrimiento de ella.

Se me ha hecho un poco pesada toda la cosa del descubrimiento de identidad. Tenía la sensación de que nunca pasaba nada, como un tiovivo sin fin, siempre volviendo al punto de partida, aunque con toques divertidos. Sin embargo, la recta final es muy divertida.

Otro punto bueno, en esta ocasión la autora sí ha introducido un epílogo, una divertido además.
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Thought it was a fun, light, delightful read.
Elisa Vangelisti
Forse è adatto a chi ama i classici. L’inizio è promettente, ma poi si dilunga durante un ballo con i discorsi e le idiozie del ton a proposito di una faida alla Giulietta e Romeo. Meglio per me evitare.
Jessica Robbins
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Issa
May 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This is the second in the Rhymes with Love series. I didn't like the first one and only gave it two stars. I sincerely hoped this one was better.

In the previous book, Preston and Roxby put an ad in the paper advertising for a wife for Preston's uncle Henry Seldon (who is of the same age due to old man Seldon having kids in his old age). Henry is the opposite of Preston, intelligent, responsible, socially awkward. It wasn't kindness that caused them to do this, but drunkenness. I truly
Jaclyn
And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake is the second book in Boyle’s Rhymes with Love series. Daphne Dale has responded to an advertisement in the paper for a gentleman seeking a wife. She initially sends the letter to tell the man in question that his jest is not funny in the slightest; however, a correspondence between her and “Mr. Dishforth” develops. Lord Henry Seldon is submerged with letters due to his nephew (younger by 6 months) putting the ad in the paper in a jest; Henry is not happy, yet ...more
C.S.
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story was a funny and light read.

**MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

I found the prologue amusing - the set up of Henry Seldon by his brother, who placed an advertisement in the paper for him to find a wife. He's about to burn them all when his sister insists that he must write every single one of the women who wrote him back. Of course, as he's going through them, he comes across a letter from a certain someone he starts a correspondence with...

Daphne Dale doesn't know she is corresponding with Henry
Lorka
May 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was ok, it was definitely an easy, fluffy read. It was just a little too easy of a read for me, borderline boring :( It started off ok, but I started getting distracted and skimming about half-way thru. I think one of the main distractions was the overuse of silly time-period terms: one being the heroine was repeatedly called a minx. The elderly aunt was always referred to "the old girl"... women being called "bits of muslin". It made it all too corny for me. Maybe I should have starte ...more
Lily Callahan
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Normally I don't like romances of misunderstanding, I always feel like screaming "Just tell 'em!" but I loved this one. The redoubtable Daphne Dale and the charmingly ordinary Lord Henry are members of long warring clans, the Dales and the Seldons, but also secret correspondents under the names Miss Spooner and Mr. Dishforth. The path to true love is cluttered not so much by the hidden identities of the letter writers (though it is), but by hundreds of years of warring great aunts. And the two p ...more
Angela
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light, entertaining, an easy read if you're tired of murder mysteries and spy books.

My Likes:
Daphne and Henry gradually (and reluctantly) find themselves beginning to like one another, and eventually fall in love with each other. The pace of their romance was realistic, and the transition between loosely founded hatred and hard-fought admiration was seamless.

Parts made me smile - and I had one laugh-out-loud moment.

My Dislikes:
The word "minx". And the phrase "bit of muslin". Overused, and inco
Jill Kemerer
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific book!! I laughed throughout this one--Elizabeth Boyle has such an amazing voice! I love romances with wit, intrigue, and humor, and boy, did this deliver! The heroine, Daphne, had the perfect blend of wistfulness and spunk, while the hero, Henry, made me swoon.

Can't wait to catch up on Ms. Boyle's backlist!
Penney
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much going on, it made me laugh too. I'm looking forward to the next in this series!
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
Despite my initial thoughts - this had me engrossed.
Chondra Fox
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved...very funny
Kate
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Daphne falls in love via letter but while looking for her fellow falls for a familial arch-enemy. A bit too many repeats of each character guessing at who might be their letter lover and deciding not to declare their love. Also the ending was not too silly for farce but certainly could have been shortened. Unfortunately these characters aren’t actually distinct personalities, many scenes could just as well have been from the first book. More sex than was necessary, these romance rules just make ...more
Genieve Ong
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very funny and cute story... Lovely historical Romantic comedy....
Desi
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A bit wishy washy and characters' internal voices were repetitive. The major conflict often irritated, particularly due to the dragged way past-it's-sell-by-date hidden identity ploy.

There was the overlapping problem of their family names too so I'm not sure why this pseudo misunderstanding even needed to be held onto with such a death grip.

Honestly I did not understand why a simple arrangement to meet immediately, once they were both assuredly at the same house party, wasn't made.
Vilia
May 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on Backchatting Books

Lord Henry was horror struck when he started receiving a tsunami of letters from spinsters thanks to his nephew Preston advertising for a bride on his behalf.  Henry had no intention of answering the letters but one particularly tart response from Daphne caught his eye and thus began a pen romance.

The path to love between the two was far from simple as both adopted pseudonyms but desperately want to know who the other person was. When our c
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • Secrets of a Runaway Bride (Secret Brides, #2)
  • If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)
  • The Trouble With Being a Duke (At the Kingsborough Ball, #1)
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • With This Kiss: Part Two
  • What a Lady Most Desires (Temberlay, #3)
  • Surprising Lord Jack (Duchess of Love, #2)
  • The Scottish Witch (The Chattan Curse, #2)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • All About Seduction
  • The Tattooed Duke (The Writing Girls, #3)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
  • Happily Bedded Bliss (The Rakes of Cavendish Square, #2)
  • When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1)
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle

Rhymes With Love (7 books)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • Have You Any Rogues? (Rhymes With Love, #2.5)
  • If Wishes Were Earls (Rhymes With Love, #3)
  • The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4)
  • The Knave of Hearts (Rhymes With Love #5)
  • Six Impossible Things (Rhymes With Love, #6)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Unleashed (Ross Siblings #1)
    $3.99 $0.00
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Your eyes are the shade of intelligence, able to pierce a man’s heart with merely a glance. As they have done so to mine.” 4 likes