Start by marking “And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)” as Want to Read:
And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)

And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake

(Rhymes With Love #2)

Daphne Dale never could have imagined that when she answered an advertisement in the newspaper that she would find true love. Now she has the opportunity to meet her unknown suitor, but it means traveling to Tabitha’s wedding, and into the heart of her family’s sworn enemies. Everyone knows the Seldons are terrible rakes and bounders, but Daphne will risk anything to gain ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 353 pages
Published March 26th 2013 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake

Julie
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
And Miss Ran Away With the Rake by Elizabeth Boyle is an April 2013 Avon publication.

Henry Seldon and Daphne Dale have become pen pals- nothing extraordinary about that, really, except perhaps for the fact that the Seldon's and the Dale's have been feuding for centuries.

When Daphne arrives at her best friend's engagement party, she is in enemy territory. But, she will endure for Tabitha's sake. Besides, the main thing on her mind is that she is finally going to meet her pen pal face to face. I
Huma Rashid
Jan 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. I've heard wonderful things about Elizabeth Boyle, and many of my friends recommend her highly. However, I found "And the Miss Ran Away With The Rake" to be almost a chore to get through.

The writing felt slightly off to me right from the start - stilted, halting, a little watery and weak. But that can easily be overcome with compelling characters and original - or if not original, exciting - plot choices.

What really sunk this book for me was the fact that I fo
Lisa
I love when a title fits a book perfectly and that is just the case with the newest from Elizabeth Boyle. Daphne Dale answered an advertisement in a newspaper on a whim and it has grown into so much more and she is determined to meet the mysterious Mr. Dishforth. When they agree through their corresponding to meet at her friends betrothal ball, she is elated to meet the man she has fallen for yet one look at Lord Henry Seldon, sworn adversaries of the Dale's, leaves her confused. She thinks Henr ...more
kris
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Daphne Dale would never--never!--consider marrying a Seldon. They're rascals and they hump things. Lord Henry Seldon would never--never!!--consider marrying a Dale. They're flirts and they beguile things. Except Daphne responds to a advertisement looking for a wife and ends up starting a correspondence with the sensible Mr. Dishforth who is YOU GUESSED IT LORD SELDON OH SNAP. Soon their boners are OUT OF CONTROLLLL.

1. Not enough correspondence. I wanted flirting and sassiness and a burgeoning s
Cherie
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I giggled, I laughed, I snickered, almost continuously. The comedy was subtle at times and predictable at other times but was always enjoyable. Sometimes I didn't realize I was laughing until I felt wetness at the edge of my eyes.

Daphne and Henry have just the right amount of stubbornness and pride. I never felt uncomfortable with them.
Caz
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, romance-other, aar, fluff
I gave this a B- at AAR, so 3.5 stars

This is the second in Elizabeth Boyle’s Rhymes with Love series, in which the titles are ‘riffs’ on well-known nursery-rhymes. As with the previous book in the series (Along Came a Duke) the heroine is a resident in the village of Kempton in which the unmarried ladies labor under a terrible curse – that they are doomed to spinsterhood.

Daphne Dale is the best friend of Tabitha Timmons, heroine of book one and soon-to-be Duchess of Preston. As the best friend
Shh I'm reading!
May 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I give this book 2 stars because I finished it, but it was really closer to a one for me. My criticisms start with the title (what were they thinking?) and continue from there. Henry and Daphne are 2 supposedly intelligent and sensible people who fall in love through letters using nom de plumes. After making plans to meet at a ball, we know that their love has a long road to HEA because the Seldons and Dales do NOT mix. Ever. Here was my biggest source of disgruntlement with the tale.
Where Boyl
Ann Keller
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Daphne Dale reads the advertisement, she’s delighted. “Sensible gentleman of means seeks sensible lady of good breeding for correspondence, and in due consideration, matrimony.” It’s just the sort of thing she’s been looking for. Posing as Miss Spooner, she replies to the ad, and begins an engaging correspondence with Mr. Dishforth, a gentleman entirely suited to her.

Fortunately, Mr. Dishforth is nothing like the womanizing, charming Lord Henry Seldon. The Seldons and Dales have detested ea
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Thought it was a fun, light, delightful read.
Jessica Robbins
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Martini Times Romance Book Blog

And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake by Elizabeth Boyle was a chore to read through, though I was determined not to give up on it as I would have liked to, but I don't like to give out "Did Not Finish" ratings unless I absolutely have to. So...this book earned a 1 Olive. It truly was "meh." I really wanted to like it since I spent money on it, and the fact that Avon (my favorite publisher ever) published this book, but no. It was awful.

The writing wasn't awful per-say but what made me not like
Issa
May 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This is the second in the Rhymes with Love series. I didn't like the first one and only gave it two stars. I sincerely hoped this one was better.

In the previous book, Preston and Roxby put an ad in the paper advertising for a wife for Preston's uncle Henry Seldon (who is of the same age due to old man Seldon having kids in his old age). Henry is the opposite of Preston, intelligent, responsible, socially awkward. It wasn't kindness that caused them to do this, but drunkenness. I truly
Jaclyn
And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake is the second book in Boyle’s Rhymes with Love series. Daphne Dale has responded to an advertisement in the paper for a gentleman seeking a wife. She initially sends the letter to tell the man in question that his jest is not funny in the slightest; however, a correspondence between her and “Mr. Dishforth” develops. Lord Henry Seldon is submerged with letters due to his nephew (younger by 6 months) putting the ad in the paper in a jest; Henry is not happy, yet ...more
C.S.
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story was a funny and light read.

**MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

I found the prologue amusing - the set up of Henry Seldon by his brother, who placed an advertisement in the paper for him to find a wife. He's about to burn them all when his sister insists that he must write every single one of the women who wrote him back. Of course, as he's going through them, he comes across a letter from a certain someone he starts a correspondence with...

Daphne Dale doesn't know she is corresponding with Henry
Lorka
May 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was ok, it was definitely an easy, fluffy read. It was just a little too easy of a read for me, borderline boring :( It started off ok, but I started getting distracted and skimming about half-way thru. I think one of the main distractions was the overuse of silly time-period terms: one being the heroine was repeatedly called a minx. The elderly aunt was always referred to "the old girl"... women being called "bits of muslin". It made it all too corny for me. Maybe I should have starte ...more
Lily Callahan
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Normally I don't like romances of misunderstanding, I always feel like screaming "Just tell 'em!" but I loved this one. The redoubtable Daphne Dale and the charmingly ordinary Lord Henry are members of long warring clans, the Dales and the Seldons, but also secret correspondents under the names Miss Spooner and Mr. Dishforth. The path to true love is cluttered not so much by the hidden identities of the letter writers (though it is), but by hundreds of years of warring great aunts. And the two p ...more
Angela
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light, entertaining, an easy read if you're tired of murder mysteries and spy books.

My Likes:
Daphne and Henry gradually (and reluctantly) find themselves beginning to like one another, and eventually fall in love with each other. The pace of their romance was realistic, and the transition between loosely founded hatred and hard-fought admiration was seamless.

Parts made me smile - and I had one laugh-out-loud moment.

My Dislikes:
The word "minx". And the phrase "bit of muslin". Overused, and inco
Jill Kemerer
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific book!! I laughed throughout this one--Elizabeth Boyle has such an amazing voice! I love romances with wit, intrigue, and humor, and boy, did this deliver! The heroine, Daphne, had the perfect blend of wistfulness and spunk, while the hero, Henry, made me swoon.

Can't wait to catch up on Ms. Boyle's backlist!
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
Despite my initial thoughts - this had me engrossed.
Penney
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much going on, it made me laugh too. I'm looking forward to the next in this series!
Kate
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Daphne falls in love via letter but while looking for her fellow falls for a familial arch-enemy. A bit too many repeats of each character guessing at who might be their letter lover and deciding not to declare their love. Also the ending was not too silly for farce but certainly could have been shortened. Unfortunately these characters aren’t actually distinct personalities, many scenes could just as well have been from the first book. More sex than was necessary, these romance rules just make ...more
Genieve Ong
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very funny and cute story... Lovely historical Romantic comedy....
Desi
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A bit wishy washy and characters' internal voices were repetitive. The major conflict often irritated, particularly due to the dragged way past-it's-sell-by-date hidden identity ploy.

There was the overlapping problem of their family names too so I'm not sure why this pseudo misunderstanding even needed to be held onto with such a death grip.

Honestly I did not understand why a simple arrangement to meet immediately, once they were both assuredly at the same house party, wasn't made.
Vilia
May 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on Backchatting Books

Lord Henry was horror struck when he started receiving a tsunami of letters from spinsters thanks to his nephew Preston advertising for a bride on his behalf.  Henry had no intention of answering the letters but one particularly tart response from Daphne caught his eye and thus began a pen romance.

The path to love between the two was far from simple as both adopted pseudonyms but desperately want to know who the other person was. When our c
Stephanie  G
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tall, handsome, well-turned out, and rich Lord Henry Seldon, twin to Lady Juniper (Hen) and Uncle to the Duke of Preston is a confirmed bachelor who is happy looking after his nephew’s estates. Unknowingly, his nephew and Preston’s friend Earl of Roxley post an ad in the London paper on his behalf. The ad reads: “Sensible gentleman of means seeks a sensible lady of good breeding for correspondence and in due consideration of matrimony. Lord Henry is outraged his nephew would do such a thing, but ...more
Deborah Vespo
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read.. most especially when one is laid up in bed with the flu! Yuck! Daphne Dale responds to a letter in the paper, posted by a gentleman who also happens to be looking for a bride. She is of a good family... known for their prolific ways when it comes to bearing offspring. She isn't wealthy but she is very intelligent, beautiful, and comes from a family with a very strong and powerful heritage.

Lord Henry Seldon's nephew, The Duke of Preston was actually the one who placed the ad in t
Quinn's Book Nook
I have just been hitting pay dirt with my audiobook choices lately! And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake by Elizabeth Boyle is such an example. This was such an entertaining historical romance that I am sure I loved even more because the audiobook was fantastic.

And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake is the second book in the Rhymes with Love series, and while I didn’t love it quite as much as The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane, I loved every minute I spent listening to lighthearted romance.

Daphne
Dragana
It all started very innocently with a prank between friends.
One personal 'sensible gentleman looking for a wife' ad in newspaper...
One HUGE pile of letters...
One irritated Lord Henry...
One apology from guilty cousin...
It would have probably ended here if fate or luck didn't accidentally nudged Lord Henry to glimpse one of the letters. And he could not resist to reply to a saucy little minx that lectured him on getting everyone hopes up with ad like his... Neither Lord Henry nor Daphne Dale did k
The Window Seat
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have a few go-to storylines that I just adore in any incarnation and one of my absolute favorites is the plot of two characters falling in love through correspondences. I guess I’m a sucker for knowing the hero and heroine are perfect for one another if they could only see it out in the real world and then watching them have that epiphany for themselves. If you’re familiar with the films The Shop Around the Corner or You’ve Got Mail, then you already know the basic premise for And the Miss Ran ...more
Annette
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have read another book by Ms Boyle, and I enjoyed it very much. She writes with humor and that is important, at least to me.

Henry and Daphne start a correspondence and become very enamored with one another, without knowing the others true identity. These letters are important enough to each of them that they are thinking the other person is "perfect" for them.

The couple hopes to meet at a certain ball. From there things go down hill fast. It turns out each of them is from a family which has be
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • What a Lady Most Desires (Temberlay, #3)
  • Surprising Lord Jack (Duchess of Love, #2)
  • With This Kiss: Part Two
  • The Danger in Tempting an Earl (At the Kingsborough Ball, #3)
  • Secrets of a Runaway Bride (Secret Brides, #2)
  • When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1)
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • The Scottish Witch (The Chattan Curse, #2)
  • The Handbook to Handling His Lordship (Scandalous Brides, #4)
  • Earl Interrupted (The Daring Marriages, #2)
  • The Dark Knight (Montagues, #4)
  • Catch a Falling Heiress (An American Heiress in London, #3)
  • Within a Captain's Hold (Captains of the Scarlet Night, #1)
  • Twilight Dreams (Morgan Creek, #2)
  • How to Lose a Bride in One Night (Forgotten Princesses, #3)
  • A Bride by Moonlight (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #4)
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.

Rhymes With Love (6 books)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • If Wishes Were Earls (Rhymes With Love, #3)
  • The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4)
  • The Knave of Hearts (Rhymes With Love #5)
  • Six Impossible Things (Rhymes With Love, #6)
“Your eyes are the shade of intelligence, able to pierce a man’s heart with merely a glance. As they have done so to mine.” 4 likes