Lisa's Reviews > And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake

And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake by Elizabeth Boyle

Jun 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: elizabeth-boyle, historical-romance, edelweiss

I love when a title fits a book perfectly and that is just the case with the newest from Elizabeth Boyle. Daphne Dale answered an advertisement in a newspaper on a whim and it has grown into so much more and she is determined to meet the mysterious Mr. Dishforth. When they agree through their corresponding to meet at her friends betrothal ball, she is elated to meet the man she has fallen for yet one look at Lord Henry Seldon, sworn adversaries of the Dale's, leaves her confused. She thinks Henry is the same man yet can not be sure and the family feud leaves her even more indecisive. Henry, for his part, can not fathom falling in love with a Dale yet he also can not deny the attraction between himself and Daphne and he too questions if she is his mysterious Miss Spooner. A house party, a rainstorm and a lot of determination during an attempt to run away add up to a fun romance.

While I really enjoyed this Regency take on You've Got Mail, I didn't love it and I really can not pinpoint why. I wish we had seen a bit more of Daphne and Henry's relationship grow through the letters instead of just a chapter or two about it but at the same time they had to meet face to face to have that connection. I loved the instant attraction that they both tried so hard to deny, especially after they found out who they were in relation to the family feud. As to the family feud, the reason behind it was a bit silly and I do wish it had been something a bit more dramatic so it added a bit more to the storyline. Daphne and Henry make a cute, fun couple and are ones you just can't help but cheer on. I really enjoyed the ending and how Daphne took matters into her own hands (finally) and thought it was very well done. Overall, a fun, light hearted, witty romance that will leave a smile on your face. 3 1/2 stars

eARC provided by Avon Books via edelweiss

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake.

June 17, 2012 – Shelved
June 17, 2012 – Shelved as: elizabeth-boyle
June 17, 2012 – Shelved as: historical-romance
November 16, 2012 – Shelved as: edelweiss
March 13, 2013 – Started Reading
March 13, 2013 –
March 15, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Fabulous review, Lisa.

Lisa Thanks Kristen!

Lady Wesley Very nice review, Lisa. I had the same reaction.

Lisa Thanks Lady Wesley. It needed a bit more of something for me...what I don't know lol

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Lisa :)

Lisa Thanks Blacky :)

message 7: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Great review, Lisa!

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill I haven't read an EB in ages. Might not be the title to rekindle my love for her. Nicely said, Lisa!

Lisa Thanks Susanne!

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Lisa wrote: "Thanks Susanne!
This is the only series I've read by EB and I haven't been blown away unfortunately :/ I love the covers though! Is there a series of hers that you would recommend Jill?"

I've found EB a bit hit and miss which is why I've not read her for quite a while. So I'm not surprised that you've not been overly impressed, Lisa.

I have enjoyed a number of her Bachelor Chronicles series that starts with Something About Emmaline.

Possibly my fav of hers would be Love Letters From a Duke. But can't remember if it can be read as a standalone.

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Thanks Jill! I put Something About Emmaline on hold at the library (um, 49 people are on hold for the ebook lol) so I look forward to it! They have the whole series on ebook so yay!

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Lisa wrote: "Thanks Jill! I put Something About Emmaline on hold at the library (um, 49 people are on hold for the ebook lol) so I look forward to it! They have the whole series on ebook so yay!"

Yikes, well it's obviously popular! Happy reading!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa I know! Usually when there are that many people on hold they buy more copies. Oh well. Its not like I have time to read it right this moment anyways but hopefully will when it comes in lol

message 14: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Wonderful review, Lisa;)!

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars