Start by marking “Naked in Death (In Death, #1)” as Want to Read:
Naked in Death (In Death, #1)

Naked in Death (In Death #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  126,708 Ratings  ·  4,458 Reviews
8 Audio CDs / 9 hours 45 minutes

Eve Dallas is a New York police lieutenant hunting for a ruthless killer. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all - and knows that her survival depends on her instincts. And she's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, an Irish billionaire — and suspect in Eve's murder investigation. But passion an
Audio CD, Unabridged, 10 pages
Published 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published July 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Naked in Death, please sign up.

Barbara Rogers I would definitely suggest reading them in order. I read one of the later ones first -- and it does read okay as a stand-alone -- but there were so…moreI would definitely suggest reading them in order. I read one of the later ones first -- and it does read okay as a stand-alone -- but there were so many interpersonal relationships that you just don't understand unless you read them in order. I went from the one I started on -- somewhere in the 20's of the series -- back to the very first one and read from the first one forward -- to the one I had read out of order -- and then I re-read that one. It made a big difference to me in those character relationships.(less)
Karen Check your local library Overdrive has the series available for download. I have enjoyed the audio book version

Michelle
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts book I have read. I have read glowing reviews about the series, but I was a bit hesistant to start a commitment to it (which, looking it up on Wikipedia, will be really darn long!). But then, I have come upon a verse from one of the books:

"Oh, but it is you, darling Eve. Just as that taste is you, the smell, the look, the sound. You've undone me." - Glory in Death.

I think it was devastatingly beautiful! The object of Eve's undoing piqued my interest, so
Tatiana
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers
Recommended to Tatiana by: Emily May
... and I was enjoying it up until too swift of a turn into Romancelandia.

The popularity of Naked in Death is completely understandable to me. The attraction here is the same as in the most of urban fantasy IMO. Mystery-solving, some world-building (in this case, futuristic instead of paranormal) - it all is only background noise. What you are actually anticipating is the heroine's hookup with some handsome hunk. (That's what I read urban fantasy for anyway.) And the hunk here is something speci
Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySKANKY ⚓️ Steamy Reads
4 Stars

This was solid.
Fast paced.
Sexy.
Fun.

And old.
Seriously though, there are, what, only 40 thousand books in the series after this one? Lol

Regardless, I see why - I have not a damn thing to add to the multitude of reviews on this - and I look forward to the next one.

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Shawna
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense, tough heroines, & mysteriously delicious alpha heroes
Recommended to Shawna by: My mom & several GR friends
Shelves: cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, favorites, romantic-suspense, horror-mystery-suspense-thrillers, author-nora-roberts-jd-robb, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-alpha‎, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, best-top-favorites, favorite-romance-series, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, hero-i-wanna-marry, scifi-futuristic-fantasy-misc-pnr, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, 2010-reads, series-in-death, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-commoner-self-made, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, aar-top-100-romances, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, best-fave-reads-of-2010, 5-stars-plus, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, hero-brooding, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-rags-to-riches, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-too-yummy-perfect-to-be-true, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-or-heroine-or-setting-irish, heroine-miss-independent, a-all-time-favorite-hero, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hero-entrepreneur-mogul-tycoon-ceo, hh-famous-celebrity, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik, hero-sharp-dressed-man, hero-hot-car-sexy-costly-ride, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, all-work-no-play-on-the-job-romance, hero-my-romancelandia-husband-harem, hero-sexy-suit-tie-wearing-bad-boy, hh-same-couple-trilogy-or-series, hero-business-owner, hero-criminal-shady-illegal-acts, hero-husband-worthy-swoonalicious, genretrope-another-damn-billionaire, a-all-time-favorite-hh-couples, hero-uber-filthy-rich-bazillionaire, hero-poor-lower-class-background, hero-enigmatic-mysterious, hero-in-pursuit, heroine-uber-damaged-scarred, hero-uber-damaged-scarred, heroine-i-wanna-smack-shake-and-hug, crime-mystery-suspense-thriller-fic, fave-hero-ever-marry-me-roarke, best-fave-brilliant-worldbuilding
5+ stars – Romantic Suspense

Yes! I've finally read the first book in J.D. Robb's, aka Nora Roberts', vastly popular In Death series, and now I understand why there's 30 books and counting...'cause it's an awesome romantic suspense/futuristic mystery thriller and very addictive. In fact, it's a good thing that I brought the first three books with me on my trip since I wanted to immediately jump into the second book after finishing this. I loved it! And all the flattering Roarke talk is totally ju
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Ren, and Buggy's and Jasmin's review becoming "Roarke Groupies"
4 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

Okay, here’s the quick and dirty... well, sort of. Naked In Death is the first book in the daunting (almost 40 books!!... and still growing) “In Death” series by Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb. I kept putting off reading it, for that very reason.

Though, after recent reviews by Goodreads friends who have joined the growing legion of “Roarke Groupies”, I was most curious to read this book to find out for myself what the fuss is over Roarke
Mo
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this series with a bit of trepidation back in 2015. I knew that JD Robb also wrote as Nora Roberts and I had read another book by Ms Roberts and hated it ... so I was a bit wary about starting the In Death books. But I had heard great things about Roarke. Another reason that put me off reading this series is because he is Irish and, being Irish, if it is not done right, it drives me nuts. But she pulled it off. He is perfection.

I am already up to book 19 but decided to head back to bo
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

For those of you who don't already know, J.D. Robb is an alternate pen name for Nora Roberts. I only read my first Nora Roberts' book about a year ago, and was--to put it mildly--pleasantly surprised.

I'd always assumed that Roberts wrote cornball Walmart-paperback-romances for-your-grandmother, and when I saw a new book with "Witch" in the title, I figured she had jumped on the paranormal train, but was curious enough to check it out.

It was kind of amazing.

And w
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨

I finally get to cross this one off my TBR shelf - and I quite enjoyed it!! :)

For being written in the 90s, this holds up pretty darn well. In a way, there may not be a whole lot of uniqueness going on - it's a cop murder mystery - but it flows quite well and kept my interest. I grew to like Eve, the police lieutenant, and Roarke, the roguish millionaire (billionaire?) who is more complicated and interesting than he first appears.

I am definitely interested in continuing the series. It's only a t
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 I Should Have Read This Sooner Stars

So, I started this book 4 days ago and now I'm already reading book 4 so you can guess that I loved this, the book and the series so far.

The first book was great. It had everything, a kick-ass heroine with a bad past, a powerful, slightly shady and richer than Midas hero, a great mystery and a serial killer, all that set in a futuristic world which was surprisingly well thought and realistic for a book written 20 years ago when even cell phones were a rarity
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Spectacular!!!

5 stars!

No, wait! 5+++++ Amazing, Thrilling, Provocative Stars!

The Story -

Naked in Death is the first book in J.D. Robb’s insanely popular In Death series. It’s a fantastic mystery thriller and once I started, I couldn't put it down...errr...turn it off!
It is the year 2058, and technology now completely rules the world. But New York City Detective Eve Dallas knows that the irresistible impulses of the human heart are still ruled by just one thing-passion.

When a senator's daught
Jilly
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a book that was written over 20 years ago, but is set in the future. And, you can tell. I don't know why, but it just feels like it was written a while back.

great prediction, Jetsons. It's called a "roomba" and doesn't wear an apron..

But, I still liked all of the futuristic stuff in the story - it was fun! There was the "AutoChef" that made you food, a floating mattress - I'm thinking that would be soft and comfy, flying cars - I've been waiting forever for one of these!, tubes of Pepsi
Emily May

I see why Nora Roberts wrote under a different name for this mystery series because, even though there is a romantic element, this book is so much more than that. If they all follow a similar pattern, then I can also see the In Death series fast becoming a favourite. It was an interesting, disturbing, thought-provoking read with a very sweet and sexy romantic subplot.

There are three key elements that make up this novel and make it the triumph that it is: a psychological murder mystery, a slowly
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I liked this as a mystery just as much as I liked it as a romance. Love a good mystery that keeps me guessing. I had my ideas about who the culprit was, and I was more or less right, although I had that kernel of doubt. I liked how this was a very well-plotted mystery. I think that it helped that the underlying aspects were so dark that I didn't think the story would go there.

Eve is a great protagonist. She's tough, intelligent, but vulnerable in some ways. She's a very good cop, and she goes a
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
★★★★★ 5 Suspense-Filled stars ★★★★★

Its true in all my reading time,I've never really picked up a Nora Robert so far.Its true in this case I did judge the book by its cover.Every time I passed a book store to pick up my reads I always tended to shy away from the Pure Romance section,and chose Mystery-Romance Or Erotica-Romance or another combination over Chic-lite or Angst.
After all there was always next month.

And when I heard J.D Robb was an Alias of Nora Robert.I was quite excited to give this
Hulya Kara Yuksel
OMG I'm melting in here... ROARKE!!! Ladies, don't you ever forget this name!!! You have to meet this guy. Yeah, seriously. :D He's hot, he's smart, he's funny but the most important thing is he's so freaking HOT! Loved him a lot. :D

And Eve Dallas... Damn, what a strong lady. I loved her too... :)

I will definitely continue to read their story...:)

Whenever I read Roarke's words... This is exactly me. :D

------------------

“I can't tell you how aroused it makes me when you quote codes, lieutenant.”
Emma
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel slightly embarrassed to admit I absolutely loved this. A great combination of romance and crime. I really liked the fact that Roarke was completely into Eve from the first time he met her. I really enjoyed the slight sci fi elements too. So pleased to see there are many in the series as they are perfect as a light read. I just hope they don't become too formulaic.
Recommended.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
2 stars

Unfortunately this book just wasn't for me. It started out strong, but by the last 100 pages I no longer cared what happened to the characters. I've never been a huge Nora Robert's fan, I find her romance too cheesy/formulaic for my taste. But I wanted to give this series a chance.
I happen to be in a reading/reviewing slump, it's hard for me to review book that were just "meh" for me. So I'm going to break this down.

What didn't work:
-the plot: it was all over the place, half romance hal
Catherine
*Originally read 12/10/10 - 12/11/10*

I've known about this series for quite a while, and I'm a big Nora Roberts fan, but I hadn't really wanted to pick this series up. There's about a billion books out in the series. What if I ended up loving it? Then I have to commit myself to buying those billion books just to catch up! But after hearing such glowing things about this series from most of my Goodreads friends--especially about Roarke--I had to finally bight the bullet and get the first book.

♥Sharon♥
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Naked in Death which is book #1 in the In Death Series by J.D. Robb. As I write this I can say I loved book #2 as well (I’ll be writing a short review soon). And I am on to book #3 and loving it already. A lot of love going on here but rightfully so. I sure hope it continues through the 40 or so books within this series. YES I said 40!! I am anxious to see how J.D. Robb will pull off keeping her readers engaged.

I will say the writing is fantastic. The characters are intriguing and fasci
Phrynne
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a reread for me but the last time I read it was probably 1998 or thereabouts. It was such a delight to read it again. When J.D. Robb wrote this first book in what was then going to be just a trilogy I wonder if she had any idea of what she had created. 40 or so books later we all feel we own a little bit of Eve and Roarke and their amazing world and we are always waiting for more!
I love Naked in Death. It introduces us to our two most important characters, begins their delightful relatio
edge of bubble
There are a lot of great reviews for this book so I'll be short. Considering the year it was written, the futuristic aspects were good. Murder mystery was okay. What I didn't like was the romance part. I am very easy to sell on couples and love stories. Just gimme some steam and sappy thoughts, and put the couple together in an okay way and I'm rooting for them. Here, I just couldn't root for the romance. Heroine was too robotic or too indistinct in that setting. Still, I enjoyed the book and wi ...more
Brenda
Lieutenant Eve Dallas had been on the force for ten years and in that time had seen it all – or so she thought. But when she was called into a Code Five – highly sensitive, no media output – the disgust had her stomach clenching. But find the killer she would..

High on her list of suspects was a man she hadn’t come across before – Roarke, a handsome Irish billionaire – and she was drawn to him; him to her. But it went against everything Eve was to succumb to his charms; especially in the midst of
Felicia
Dec 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am addicted to this series, I absolutely love it, and it gets better as it goes along (I'm on book 5 now).

It's romance/mystery, so if you like a splash of sex with your serial killers, this is the series for you!!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

I’ve done with this series something I’ve never done before, jumped right in with the latest installment and skipped everything that came before. I soon realized my mistake, though. While each book can easily function as a standalone, missing even a word of this enchanting series is a crime. So here I am, going back to the beginning, meeting Eve and Roarke in their early days and sharing their journey from the start.

Naked in Death was first released in 1995, but it’s still fresh and in
 Abril Sol
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books
This book was awesome! It's my first Roberts/Robb book and I have to say, it won't be my last.
This series has everything I was looking for: action, mystery, bad ass female protagonist, a ridiculously sexi guy (AKA Roarke) and a unique setting.
I loved Eve and Roarke together. I love how they are both strongminded and yet find a way to work through that, I love how Roarke isn't willing to take Eve's crap and how she got to grow and accept her past through her relationship with him. This book was
Stacey is Sassy

Let’s try again…

You’ve got to love a prolific writer. If you’re fortunate enough, you might even find a good prolific writer. Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb is one of the best. There is one problem though…it’s expensive to become a fan. It can be intimidating to find an author that is already established. In the case of J.D. Robb, we’re talking about a series that is heading towards 45 books ALREADY. That is a lot of moola, and when you’re at #1 it can even put you off starting the series. It has the po
Lightreads
In 2058, New York cop Eve Dallas uses advanced technology and good-old sleuthing to catch killers, deals with her history of abuse, and falls in love with businessman Roarke (yep, that’s his entire legal name, yeesh). I picked these up for the romance, and so I will talk about that instead of what I want to do, which is alternately praise and bitch out the science and future worldbuilding. There are like twenty-five books in this series, I have time.

I came in prepared to really dig these, and en
Jo
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All RS fans!!!!!
“Sex and violence. For some it’s still a natural marriage.”

In this futuristic RS series the year is 2058 and our heroine is homicide detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas. Eve Dallas who was given her name by the social worker who rescued her, has been a detective for the last 10 years. She’s one of the best detectives in New York City and when a high profile case comes up she’s the prime choice. The death of a senator’s granddaughter places Eve right in the middle of Washington’s politics and soci

♥Rachel♥
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Livvy
4.5 Stars

Naked in Death
was a thrilling mystery with excellent pacing, exciting twists and turns, and a sizzling romance!

Eve Dallas is a Lieutenant in a futuristic New York City Police Department and has just caught the murder case of high-priced paid companion, Sharon DeBlass. The murder is brutal and bloody, and “one of six” so unless the police can stop this lunatic, more women will die. Eve has been handpicked as the lead investigator by her Commander for her impeccable detecting skills. Th
Buggy
Apr 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Buggy by: Lokster
Opening Line:"She woke in the dark"

~ANOTHER CONFIRMED ROARKE GROUPIE~
What can I say about NAKED IN DEATH that hasn’t been said already? Well obviously I don’t need to go into the plot because that’s been done to DEATH (sorry) I will say though that because so many people recommended this book to me and because my friend Lokster eventually gave me a copy I did feel somewhat obligated to read it. Robb’s 'Death' series is 30 books long now (and counting) which is somewhat daunting when starting a
Play Book Tag: Naked in Death / J.D. Robb. 3.5 stars 11 15 Mar 11, 2017 10:23PM
J.D. Robb : * In Death Series Buddy Read - Jan. 1, 2016 102 101 Jan 27, 2017 11:30AM
Around the Year i...: Naked in Death (In Death #1), by J.D. Robb 4 26 Dec 04, 2016 01:14PM
In Death casting? 218 1144 Sep 16, 2016 06:51PM
Goodreads Librari...: incorrect coding: listed as Kindle but it’s ebook 2 21 Jul 03, 2016 04:59PM
J.D. Robb : Naked in Death (Spoiler Zone) 114 201 May 03, 2016 03:59AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Dream Man
  • Deadly Fear (Deadly, #1)
  • Heart of Obsidian  (Psy-Changeling, #12)
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Armed & Dangerous (Cut & Run, #5)
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Secrets in Death, on sale September 2017, is the 45th e ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“I want to see you again." He stopped, took her face in his hands. "I need to see you again."

Her pulse jumped, as if it had nothing to do with the rest of her. "Roarke, what's going on here?"

"Lieutenant." He leaned forward, touched his lips to hers. "indications are we're having a romance.”
219 likes
“You--Roarke." Eyes watering, she reached for more tissue. "Jesus, Eve. Jesus Christ, you never sleep with anybody. And you're telling me you slept with Roarke?"

"That's not precisely accurate. We didn't sleep.”
121 likes