Start by marking “Learning Javascript Design Patterns” as Want to Read:
Learning Javascript Design Patterns

Learning Javascript Design Patterns

This edition is no longer available.
Published May 1st 2012 by O'Reilly (first published July 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Learning Javascript Design Patterns, please sign up.
Filipe Linhares The author uses a lot of examples from jQuery codebase and other libs that you don't see anymore. In other hand the patterns that you see in the book…moreThe author uses a lot of examples from jQuery codebase and other libs that you don't see anymore. In other hand the patterns that you see in the book can be used anywhere.

My suggestion to you: If you was a developer in jQuery days, read it and go back some years while you learn some design patterns.
(less)

Pawel Szymczykowski
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book that taught me how to recognize some of the patterns I've been recognizing in other peoples' code. I thought the second half of the book got unnecessarily bogged down in third party library examples for Backbone, Knockout, JQuery and others. Felt like this was out of scope for the book and would have preferred to see more vanilla javascript pattern implementations. Notably, I really skimmed past many of the jQuery plugin examples because while good to know they were there, they weren't ...more
Rob
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Goodreads.com has a community guideline that states that reviews must be about the book, and not about the author. Now, I happen to agree with the spirit of this guideline, but I also feel like that guideline gets a little fuzzy when you’re looking at non-fiction, and especially fuzzy when you’re talking about technical books. I mention this because this provides the appropriate frame of reference for what I’m about to say next: that I was disappointed in Addy Osmani’s Learning JavaScript Design ...more
JR Smith
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Reads like a collection of slightly out of date blogs. Good information on some the more commonly known patterns, but that same information has been presented in a much better elsewhere. Better off sticking with the original GoF or for a more modern take: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Marcio Amadeu
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good, but its kind of outdated. ...more
BT Robinson
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
The sections on jQuery, Backbone, and Knockout aren't as essential as they used to be, but still provide useful context. It's important to remember how much of a wild west the JS ecosystem was, and how far we've come, but also how simple JS remains and how much you can do without requiring massive frameworks or libraries. These patterns are useful and used today, and will continue to outlive the framework du jour
Will Carroll
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Slightly dated
Juan Pablo Romero
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must-have book for the professional JS developer. I can't find anything wrong about this book; in fact, I am bummed I didn't read it before.
Тим
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book didn't go well with me: it seems like the author was discovering the patterns through the first link he found on Google, not through the hard-won first-hand experience. It was written at the strange time where JavaScript started to go somewhere, but was not as big as it is now, so admittedly there was no such widely shared experience as it was, for example, with other languages (Java, C, etc.).

Differences between patterns described very vaguely, and I didn't gain any particular insights abo
Georgii
Aug 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm disappointed in this book - all the explanations are fuzzy, examples don't show the gist of the patterns... If you are looking for a good book on the subject I would recommend Stoyan's book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9.... It does the job and explains patterns that exist in the javascript world.

And if you want to take a deep dive into GoF patterns - just have a look at
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5.... Despite the fact that all the examples are written in java - this book is
Julio Nobrega
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Maybe I should have read the book description and summary better, but I skipped the later half of the book almost entirely.

The first half is all about Patterns. And you do learn it. Each pattern is well explained, with code examples, and Addy starts with the simple patterns and build upon it, getting more complex, but you can follow along.

Then, suddenly, the book shifts from explaining each pattern to describing how several libraries, specially jQuery and Backbone, implement (in detail) some pat
Ahmed
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
- Good review of commonly used patterns with examples
- Tries to cover a bunch of commonly used libraries/frameworks such as knockout, jquery, and backbone.
- The narrative is very technical, sometimes I would get tired of the book and then pick it up back again, just because I know the knowledge inside is important and I should master it (perhaps I like books that guide you through and teach while building something, those are less boring)

Overall a great book
Logesh Paul
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech-javascript
- Design patterns explain in the best way possible with clear examples
- The design pattern followed in jQuery is a great addition to the book, helped me understand how to apply design pattern in code.
- AMD and CommonJS introductions is well explained
- Overall reference is great

I recommend this book if your planning to craft your JS code.
Hovhannes Gulyan
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
Very informative book on design patterns and applying them in Javascript. Can be very helpful for those, who are unfamiliar with them. Many examples on different Javascript Frameworks.
Maybe a good book to start with for Javascript developers, but I need another book on design patterns in Javascript to get more insights on the subject.
John-Philip
The first part, about design patterns and their JavaScript implementations was really good. Then it turned into a dissection of some patternish findings in jQuery and Underscore.js that went waaay to deep and long to be interesting.
Ahmad
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a must read for every Javascript ninja and help them to write better codes. Although one might want to skip sections related to special 3rd party libraries and frameworks. Also can be kept somewhere as a reference for code snippet and further review during development process.
Greg Kepler
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
It's well written and there's a lot of good information. There are also a lot of chunks that just don't pertain to what I'm interested in. It's a book that I'm sure I'll reference later, perhaps 10% of it.
Georgi
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Covers one of the most important JavaScript patterns in great detail and will almost certainly be useful to all JS developers. I didn't like the lack of completeness - the book looks like a compilation of articles. Probably a bad editorial work...
Stefan
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's not a book to learn Javascript. It's just a reference for ideas how to implement design patterns in javascript and it helps you to write reusable code. You can read the whole book online before you buy it (just google for the boot title). i bought the book because i like the online version.
Anton Antonov
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best book on JS design patterns.
Although it's "Learning", it's very much a good reference on when and why to use some of the patterns.

Book is easily accessible and has a good amount of code to look at.

Highly recommended to read regardless of JS skill level.
Michael Coleman
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: code, architecture
Nothing crazy new in terms of Design patterns, but has a lot of good insight into how to apply them in JavaScript.
Dmitry Fink
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
feels like a collection of ideas/notes, jumps around patterns, javascript tricks and different javascript frameworks (assuming reader knows all these frameworks).
David Zukowski
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall very solid, despite its age. My only real complaint is that it often delves too deeply into simple concepts while glossing over more complicated ones.
Narek
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not bad :) learned new patterns
Asad Ali
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a nice, We have used it in our Dubai office as must read book for all of our web developer.
Abdulfattah Popoola
Good book, learnt some new tricks I didn't know about. Book didn't cover all design patterns and sometimes read like hastily put together.

Overall, good read.
Beshoy Louka
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I like how he goes over live examples like backbone.js and other libs to show how they are formed
Thiago Fm
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Viktor
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
It feels like a half baked book with some good content
Enikő
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Too many jquery pattern. Overall it is recommended. I think I need to reread to better understand the content because of patterns are not that easy to digest.
Illia Olenchenko
  • Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought
  • JavaScript Enlightenment
  • Single Page Web Applications
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Eng. Manager at Google working on Chrome & Web Performance• Passionate about making the web fast.
“In object literal notation, an object is described as a set of comma-separated name/value pairs enclosed in curly braces ({}).” 0 likes