Start by marking “Learning Javascript Design Patterns” as Want to Read:
Learning Javascript Design Patterns

Learning Javascript Design Patterns

This edition is no longer available.
Published May 1st 2012 by O'Reilly (first published July 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Learning Javascript Design Patterns, please sign up.
Filipe Linhares The author uses a lot of examples from jQuery codebase and other libs that you don't see anymore. In other hand the patterns that you see in the book …moreThe author uses a lot of examples from jQuery codebase and other libs that you don't see anymore. In other hand the patterns that you see in the book can be used anywhere.

My suggestion to you: If you was a developer in jQuery days, read it and go back some years while you learn some design patterns.
(less)

Start your review of Learning Javascript Design Patterns
Pawel Szymczykowski
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book that taught me how to recognize some of the patterns I've been recognizing in other peoples' code. I thought the second half of the book got unnecessarily bogged down in third party library examples for Backbone, Knockout, JQuery and others. Felt like this was out of scope for the book and would have preferred to see more vanilla javascript pattern implementations. Notably, I really skimmed past many of the jQuery plugin examples because while good to know they were there, they weren't ...more
Rob
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Goodreads.com has a community guideline that states that reviews must be about the book, and not about the author. Now, I happen to agree with the spirit of this guideline, but I also feel like that guideline gets a little fuzzy when you’re looking at non-fiction, and especially fuzzy when you’re talking about technical books. I mention this because this provides the appropriate frame of reference for what I’m about to say next: that I was disappointed in Addy Osmani’s Learning JavaScript Design ...more
Joe
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As I write this in 2020 after first reading this book years ago, I still pop back in every now and then since the concepts are sound. Considering how radically different front end development is these days, it's great to see where so many patterns we take for granted came from, or just to get to know the history of what we're doing. Things look a lot different with the declarative frameworks of today but understanding modular code and how to leverage the language itself is still essential to bei ...more
JR Smith
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Reads like a collection of slightly out of date blogs. Good information on some the more commonly known patterns, but that same information has been presented in a much better elsewhere. Better off sticking with the original GoF or for a more modern take: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... ...more
Marcio Amadeu
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good, but it´s kind of outdated.
BT Robinson
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
The sections on jQuery, Backbone, and Knockout aren't as essential as they used to be, but still provide useful context. It's important to remember how much of a wild west the JS ecosystem was, and how far we've come, but also how simple JS remains and how much you can do without requiring massive frameworks or libraries. These patterns are useful and used today, and will continue to outlive the framework du jour
Jawwad Zafar
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
First of all I didn't read it cover to cover but at the same time I probably would have if I won't have find parts of it outdated. It's quite library dependent in sense that you'd learn more about how to use different libraries to implement a pattern. The web version of the book is free and I think the author has done a lot for the JS community as this book has been around for long, so I salute the author for his work.
Duong Nguyen
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dev
Easy to read and understand related patterns in javascript.
Oscar Crespo
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good reference to important patterns. the JavaScript version used is a little outdated.
Sloan
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good look into common design patterns. Some of the info is beginning to show it's age, nevertheless it is still useful.
Diógenes Fernandes
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Outdated in some parts, but at least show design patterns.
John
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great reference for patterns in JS.
Vivek N
A good read indeed. I recommend it to the aspiring Web design students. I am working as a designer at IT Plus. ...more
Тим
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book didn't go well with me: it seems like the author was discovering the patterns through the first link he found on Google, not through the hard-won first-hand experience. It was written at the strange time where JavaScript started to go somewhere, but was not as big as it is now, so admittedly there was no such widely shared experience as it was, for example, with other languages (Java, C, etc.).

Differences between patterns described very vaguely, and I didn't gain any particular insights abo
Georgii
Aug 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm disappointed in this book - all the explanations are fuzzy, examples don't show the gist of the patterns... If you are looking for a good book on the subject I would recommend Stoyan's book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9.... It does the job and explains patterns that exist in the javascript world.

And if you want to take a deep dive into GoF patterns - just have a look at
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5.... Despite the fact that all the examples are written in java - this book is
Julio Nobrega
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Maybe I should have read the book description and summary better, but I skipped the later half of the book almost entirely.

The first half is all about Patterns. And you do learn it. Each pattern is well explained, with code examples, and Addy starts with the simple patterns and build upon it, getting more complex, but you can follow along.

Then, suddenly, the book shifts from explaining each pattern to describing how several libraries, specially jQuery and Backbone, implement (in detail) some pat
Amhed
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
- Good review of commonly used patterns with examples
- Tries to cover a bunch of commonly used libraries/frameworks such as knockout, jquery, and backbone.
- The narrative is very technical, sometimes I would get tired of the book and then pick it up back again, just because I know the knowledge inside is important and I should master it (perhaps I like books that guide you through and teach while building something, those are less boring)

Overall a great book
Hovhannes Gulyan
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
Very informative book on design patterns and applying them in Javascript. Can be very helpful for those, who are unfamiliar with them. Many examples on different Javascript Frameworks.
Maybe a good book to start with for Javascript developers, but I need another book on design patterns in Javascript to get more insights on the subject.
Logesh Paul
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech-javascript
- Design patterns explain in the best way possible with clear examples
- The design pattern followed in jQuery is a great addition to the book, helped me understand how to apply design pattern in code.
- AMD and CommonJS introductions is well explained
- Overall reference is great

I recommend this book if your planning to craft your JS code.
John-Philip
The first part, about design patterns and their JavaScript implementations was really good. Then it turned into a dissection of some patternish findings in jQuery and Underscore.js that went waaay to deep and long to be interesting.
Stefan
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's not a book to learn Javascript. It's just a reference for ideas how to implement design patterns in javascript and it helps you to write reusable code. You can read the whole book online before you buy it (just google for the boot title). i bought the book because i like the online version.
Greg Kepler
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
It's well written and there's a lot of good information. There are also a lot of chunks that just don't pertain to what I'm interested in. It's a book that I'm sure I'll reference later, perhaps 10% of it.
Georgi
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Covers one of the most important JavaScript patterns in great detail and will almost certainly be useful to all JS developers. I didn't like the lack of completeness - the book looks like a compilation of articles. Probably a bad editorial work...
Ahmad
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a must read for every Javascript ninja and help them to write better codes. Although one might want to skip sections related to special 3rd party libraries and frameworks. Also can be kept somewhere as a reference for code snippet and further review during development process.
Anton Antonov
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best book on JS design patterns.
Although it's "Learning", it's very much a good reference on when and why to use some of the patterns.

Book is easily accessible and has a good amount of code to look at.

Highly recommended to read regardless of JS skill level.
Dmitry Fink
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
feels like a collection of ideas/notes, jumps around patterns, javascript tricks and different javascript frameworks (assuming reader knows all these frameworks).
Viktor
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
It feels like a half baked book with some good content
Abdulfattah Popoola
Good book, learnt some new tricks I didn't know about. Book didn't cover all design patterns and sometimes read like hastily put together.

Overall, good read.
David Zukowski
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall very solid, despite its age. My only real complaint is that it often delves too deeply into simple concepts while glossing over more complicated ones.
Michael Coleman
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: code, architecture
Nothing crazy new in terms of Design patterns, but has a lot of good insight into how to apply them in JavaScript.

• Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • You Don't Know JS: Types & Grammar
  • The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • You Don't Know JS: Scope and Closures (You Don't Know JS, #2)
  • You Don't Know JS: this & Object Prototypes
  • Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • Professional JavaScript for Web Developers
  • JavaScript Step by Step

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Eng. Manager at Google working on Chrome & Web Performance• Passionate about making the web fast. ...more

News & Interviews

“In object literal notation, an object is described as a set of comma-separated name/value pairs enclosed in curly braces ({}).” 0 likes