Start by marking “Head First Design Patterns” as Want to Read:
Head First Design Patterns

Head First Design Patterns

(Head First Series)

You're not alone.

At any given moment, somewhere in the world someone struggles with the same software design problems you have. You know you don't want to reinvent the wheel (or worse, a flat tire), so you look to Design Patterns--the lessons learned by those who've faced the same problems. With Design Patterns, you get to take advantage of the best practices and experien
Published November 4th 2004 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Head First Design Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First Design Patterns

Alex
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Easily the best introduction to design patterns I've seen. If you're new to object-oriented design or new to design patterns, this is the first (but definitely not the only) book you should buy.

Computer books are so often textbooks written in the high-falutin' language of hooded academics. There's nothing wrong with that, but such language is next to useless for the uninitiated. O'Reilly's Head First series breaks the textbook mold with verve. I find Design Patterns to be, by far, the most succe
Maxim Chetruşca
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it might be a turkey wrapped with a duck adapter..."
Ibrahim Al-bluwi
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book as soon as it got into my hands. I was struck by how it is written and organized.

Unlike all other books, it follows a very exciting comic like writing style. The book is full of humor and it takes the reader step by step towards a solid understanding of what software design patterns are. I clearly got the feeling that the authors are trying hard to make "me" understand rather than just presenting some information on the topic.

I recommend this book for any one with a
Mike
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
I tried to start my design pattern education with the classic GOF's book. Well, it ended with the first few pages and became a coffee cup coaster. Sacrilege, I know, but I have to be honest. I also tried another Head First book, on another topic and while okay, it just didn't speak to me. I only tried this book after a Microsoft Partner I respected recommended it. Wow. It is probably one of the best introductory technical books I've read in my 20 years of programming. The whimsical and technical ...more
Jeffery Moulton
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computers
This is one of the best technical books I've ever read. It changed my world as a programmer and what I thought was a good technical book. The topic is very important for any developer that works with object-oriented programming (OOP) and the book presents a complicated topic in a fun, readable way (with lots of pictures!).

I highly recommend this book to any developer, no matter how experienced, and especially those who struggle getting through the long, boring technical books out there and are l
John Chilton
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am going to give this book a review even though I am only part of the way through, in part because I think it belongs on my highly-recommend list. The original GOF patterns book is good, is a classic, and should probably be on your bookshelf. This however is much better book on patterns for the typical developer, the content is more accessible and is more up-to-date. Moreover this book has a great attitude and is a lot of fun to read.
Jakub Dziworski
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Way easier to follow than the original "Design Patterns", but some trivial topics were given too much explanation, which made the book a bit too long.
Iman
not read it completely, just the first 3 chapters.to see the taste of head first series. although it was helpful, but i am comfortable with a book like C# design patterns.
Siddhant Shrivastava
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining and edifying at the same time! This is one of the best Head First books out there. Read this even if you are not going to be doing any software engineering for sometime since this is the kind of book that stays at the back of your mind when you are trying to write your first few non-toy object-oriented programs.
David S
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Should be a must read for young developers even though the book repeats itself a lot sometimes.
Knute Snortum
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Head First Design Patterns is a great way to get a good overview (and some meat) about design patterns. This will interest programmers and computer scientists the most, but as you learn near the end of the book, design pattern were first created by an architect! So if you're interested is solving problems or how to break apart a problem into pieces that are more easily solved, this book may interest you.

If you're like me -- a software developer who's been around a while -- you will have noticed
Diego Higuchi
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apesar de não ser um livro tão recente, é um excelente livro e com muita interação com o leitor. Aborda os principais padrões de projetos com exemplos bem didáticos e práticos, porém “fictícios” não tão reais para o dia-a-dia de trabalho, mesmo assim é de grande utilidade.
Pude conhecer com mais detalhes alguns padrões projetos e seus princípios, porém alguns padrões foram rapidamente explicados, ficando à dever do leitor a fazer suas próprias pesquisas de exemplos práticos.
Depois de uma série d
Luboš
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Must read even for experienced programmers. Explained in the very practical and attractive way.

----quotes----
Someone has already solved your problems.

Favor composition over inheritance.

How many design meetings have you been in that quickly degrade into implementation details?

Knowing the OO basics does not make you a good OO designer.

Remember, code should be closed (to change) like the lotus flower in the evening, yet open (to extension) like the lotus flower in the morning.

A class should have on
Laurence
Apr 21, 2012 is currently reading it
If you want to get up to speed on object oriented programming techniques, but your mind can't handle pages & pages of dense technical prose, then this is for you!

Written & laid out in a comic book style similar to the "... For Beginners" books (Marx For Beginners, Zen For Beginners etc, see http://www.forbeginnersbooks.com/) the technical explanations are reassuringly well spaced out between brain-friendly pictures and diagrams.

The text itself is in the form of a (rather goofy) story abo
Brian
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
great intro to patterns for noobs like me.
Much more readable than the Gang of Four book.

A bit outdated - lacking functional design patterns and over relies on mutability, especially in the State Pattern.
Everything in the Composite Pattern chapter could be implemented more cleanly and elegantly using the Visitor Pattern. Proxy pattern is pretty outdated too. Then again, the gang of four book is pretty old too at this point.

Code uses pretty old version of Java - Doesn't have enums or generics, to
Farsan Rashid
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
My rating lies somewhere between (4.5 - 4.7). Can be a fantastic reading for someone looking for the first design pattern book. As mentioned numerous times it is a must read book for software developers and truly it is.

If it is so good why not 5 stars?

- Often the contents are too repetitive. Though authors claim it is intentional so that patterns stick in readers mind sometimes I felt like repetition blocked fluency.
- In some cases much simpler examples could have been used to describe patterns
Matt Hooper
Jun 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Software developers looking to become OO experts
This is an outstanding book and is actually quite fun to read!

I don't personally own it but we had a copy in out restroom at work and I'd read through it periodically. I read the classic gang of four patterns book prior to this one and I must say that this one is probably better of the two for most people, especially more inexperienced developers. The focus of this book is less on a pattern language and more on how to use object oriented languages to solve real problems and while not building a
Robert
Dec 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'd always been a bit worried about the head first series - they look a bit like astrophysics for idiots - but having read the patterns book I'm impressed, I feel like a lot more has sunk in that the last patters book I read (C# Design Patterns, which was over-obsessed with swim meets and felt like the author had been forced to use C# at gunpoint - I wouldn't recommend it). I also liked getting to do a crossword puzzle at the end of most chapters. It's Java oriented but only gets deeply into Jav ...more
Emily
Oct 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Meh, this was fine, but not as tight as Head First SQL - The Head First formula doesn't scale super-well to a book of this size, and the segments are too disconnected. It's still good at giving you the gist of the concept, but the topic of design patterns seems to lend itself to a catalog format that Head First doesn't handle very well. Got me thinking, but I won't be ready to talk intelligently about patterns until I get a more traditional book.

Actually, I just saw that this is only 31 pages lo
Yann
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le meilleur livre concernant les Design Patterns.

En lieu et place du célèbre catalogue de D.P. du GoF (Gang of Four), ici les concepts et bonnes pratiques de conception sont détaillées.

Les Design Patterns sont illustrés et expliqués pas à pas. On part d'un exemple de base, les auteurs volontairement font des erreurs de conception et expliquent les défauts de telle ou telle conception. Puis à travers l'application des bonnes pratiques, ils expliquent comment on en est arrivé à définir chaque D.P
Milad Khajavi
عالی عالی عالی.
الگوها به صورت خام یاد بگیرین بعداً نمیتونین به صورت کاربردی ازشون استفاده کنید.
اما اگه در حین پروژه به مشکل بر بخورین بعد برین سراغ الگوها تا مشکلتون رو حل کنند، دیگه ملکهٔ ذهنتون میشه و بهتر و عمیقتر یاد میگیرین.
این کتاب چنین نقشی رو براتون بازی میکنه.
اول شروع میکنه پروژه رو نوشتن، بعد مشکل رو عیناً نشونتون میده بعد هم راهحلاش رو با استفاده از الگوهای طراحی یادتون میده.
در کنار این کتاب، کتاب GoF رو هم حتماً مرور کنید.
راستی اینجا رو هم یه نگاهی بندازین به دردتون میخوره
Jef
Jan 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
The book picks a totally artificial application (Simulated Ducks!) and then proceeds to extol the virtues of OO. The important point is glossed over in the first few pages, the majority of the duck application is NOT oop. It's procedural and does not benefit from the OOP patterns. Frankly, I am sick of the promises of OOP. From where I sit in the trenches it has it's place but it doesn't work for everything.
Vladimir Rybalko
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
It is an excellent book. I do not want to be liar, but I knew a little about patterns before. But my knowledge came to a new level thanks to this book. And it is true. Author write about difficult things using simple words. I can say with all responsibility that it is a definite plus. Humor life examples help to better understand material. The book should be a great start guide for programmers who decide to start learning a basic of software architecture.
Nawar Youssef
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read only few chapters and then I stopped for personal and career reasons. I think this is one of the best book for someone to get to introduced into design patterns. The way it's constructed forces the brain to work and learn in a kind of fun way. So it could be so helpful for people who get bored from reading technical books specially beginners.
Jon
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An amazing display of learning theory in practice. Not only did I learn design patterns from this book (which I tried to do in the past but didn't have the patience for the Gang of Four book), but I learned a lot about teaching and presenting based on the brain-friendly techniques used to keep your attention. This book really is amazing!
Craig
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-twice
My favorite book on application development. App engineers who take their work seriously would do well to familiarize themselves with the design patterns elaborated on here (as well as others -- this book was certainly not comprehensive).
Junsong Li
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cs
This book serves well as an introduction book to Design Patterns.

As it introduces each pattern with enough background on the problem, the key to understand these patterns is to write your solutions before reading the patterns.
MD Sayem Ahmed
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software-design
Excellent book on Design Patterns. Teaches the core ideas behind the patterns, which helps you to understand and identify when to use them. It also teaches you to avoid the pitfalls of applying the patterns blindly.
Eduardo
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book where you can learn - or relearn - the design patterns by the "Gang of Four", such as the abstract factory or singleton patterns with a very entertaining and easy to remember fashion. The best of its kind and a "must have" for any software developer.
Ammar Alrashed
Good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I wish I read it years ago when I didn't know most of the patterns, it would have saved me a lot of time. The writer is very knowledgeable and gives pros and cons on using patterns. Also, he explains when it is a bad idea.
Like this book? Join the O'Reilly Media Fan Page 2 34 Apr 29, 2013 03:36PM
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Head First Servlets and JSP: Passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Head First Java
  • Head First C#
  • Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think
  • Spring in Action
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Head First JavaScript
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry
  • Head First C#
  • Head First Ajax: A Brain-Friendly Guide
  • Head First PHP & MySQL
  • Head First EJB
“When you design, solve things in the simplest way possible. Your goal should be simplicity, not 'How can I apply a pattern to this problem.” 1 likes
“A remote proxy acts as a local representative to a remote object.” 0 likes