Start by marking “Effective JavaScript: 68 Specific Ways to Harness the Power of JavaScript” as Want to Read:
Effective JavaScript: 68 Specific Ways to Harness the Power of JavaScript

Effective JavaScript: 68 Specific Ways to Harness the Power of JavaScript

(Effective Software Development)

"It's uncommon to have a programming language wonk who can speak in such comfortable and friendly language as David does. His walk through the syntax and semantics of JavaScript is both charming and hugely insightful; reminders of gotchas complement realistic use cases, paced at a comfortable curve. You'll find when you finish the book that you've gained a strong and ...more
Published December 6th 2012 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published November 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Effective JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effective JavaScript

Start your review of Effective JavaScript: 68 Specific Ways to Harness the Power of JavaScript
Rachel Nabors
I'm a designer turned front-end developer. I came to this book from Cody Lindley's "JavaScript Enlightenment." These two books in that order should be required reading for all designers picking up JavaScript. Skip "The Good Parts" and "Eloquent" and go straight for these meaty, easy to understand volumes.

This is like the big brother of JavaScript Enlightenment. It introduces intermediate to advanced concepts. It’s a concise volume with small code examples you can easily follow. Some of the
Mike
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: javascript programmers, those who create queues, the enqueued
Shelves: development
There is something about javascript that thwarts transcendence. Flawed and promiscuous, it is the R. Kelly of programming languages. But how to ride this dark horse? Effective JavaScript: 68 Specific Ways to Harness the Power of JavaScript can help. Without undue prescription it presents 68 best practices with regards to fundamental javascript, essential combinations that will be important to execute correctly in any context.

Though it may not have your respect it probably has your attention. Why
Veselin Nikolov
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
There is a wall standing between me and the full understanding of JavaScript. This book was not a door to that wall for me. It was neither too hard or too easy - I knew most of the 68 chapters, and there were chapters I didn't grok.

I understand how JS apps work, but I think I'm searching different kind of answers, like for example 'why'. I'm tempted to try learning another language, which represents the same ideas in a cleaner way. Perhaps I'll get my answers there.
Michael
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computing, read_2013
Worth it for the final chapter alone.
The rest is good too.
Vỹ Hồng
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Awesome book with full of useful information. This helped demystify a lot of Javascript's quirks in simple language. I'd highly recommend this book once you got the basic syntax down.
Michael Koltsov
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book considered to be a supplement for the «JavaScript: the good parts». It’s said in the book’s introduction that these two books shouldn’t be considered as rivals though many of theirs topics are the same. Advent of JavaScript, node.js and many cool frameworks made the prior book a bit outdated. This book promises to give you patterns how to write js code in modern and concise way .

It’s not a hipster’s book. Hipsters don’t read books, instead they teach themselves Google and treat
Julio Sacristan
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! I have been doing JavaScript since 1996, and SPAs when AJAX was still mainly a soccer club or a detergent. (Tip: you loaded the data into a Frame.) What I particularly liked about this book was the way the author is able structure a bunch of useful and not obvious information into a coherent hole without being preachy. Not an easy feat when considering the richness and flexibility of JavaScript.
Sean Macdonald
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: javascript programmers
Very enlightening. Gave me a greater understanding of how javascript works, and went through some extremely powerful design patterns borne of javascript's flexibility and run-timey-ness.

Yes, that's a word.
Jayson Virissimo
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This shouldn't be your first JavaScript book, but it should be your second.
Sergey Kochergan
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Easy to read technical book on tips and tricks how to use js5 in a proper way.
Matija
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Effective JavaScript is a bit dated considering its main focus is on ES3 with only some cursory glances towards ES5, but still has relevance if you are actually using the language. Mr. Herman presents an ecliectic collection of 68 items which can be devided into roughly three subgroups. The first two I found useful - JavaScript certainly has a lot going for it. The third category however I deem problematic. The categories are:

1. General programming advice (prefer statelessness when possible,
Daniel Barenboim
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Had mixed feelings about this book while reading it.

I think this book is great for those who have been coding in JavaScript actively for a good period of time. A person who has just learned the language may not have had the required experience for many of these suggestions to really have meaning.
If you've experimented with various ways of getting things done in JavaScript then this book will help you improve your coding style.

IF you are new to JS, the book contains many key concepts and
Nickson Kaigi
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
JavaScript is misunderstood. The fact that we all learnt about Object Oriented languages in programming classes, makes a prototype-based language "weird".

But if you take the time to learn JavaScript, you will be rewarded.

I dislike the fact that the code examples aren't self contained... you have to guess how a certain object is implemented... or how a certain Widget is implemented, but the code is self explanatory.

The demonstration of STATE-FULL vs STATELESS APIs is the best I've ever seen.
Sina Sadrzadeh
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book was comprehensive!

The most important part of reading this book for me was that I found a few new keywords that I am going to investigate them. It introduced me a lot of techniques that I believe it can change how I am coding in JavaScript.

However the main cons of this book is that it is outdated a bit. There is nothing much about ES6 and all principles are covered in the previous versions of JavaScript that leads to an extra overload in order to map them into ES6 in your mind.
Wilson Jimenez
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice and easy read, I loved this book. If you're beginning with JavaScript, you'll find the concepts will really help you master the language, but even if you're experienced, there are most likely stuff here you didn't know before, and in some parts you'll find yourself saying: "I knew that worked like that, but didn't know why!". This book is a must read for every JS developer out there.
Natasha (Diarist) Holme
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Advanced JavaScript programmers
Shelves: web
The parts I did understand were often quite fascinating. But there was so much here that was way over my head.
Deen john
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-again
Awesome last chapter.
Filip Mamic
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Not for beginners.
Good Javascript reference book.
Dan
Bog standard. Nearly indistinguishable from any other competently written JavaScript text.
Ahmad Bamieh
Aug 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
It contains a lot of wrong information about how javascript works!
Adam
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was super helpful in understanding how JavaScript works. It took me from a JavaScript hacker to a JavaScript developer.
Igor
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is book for advanced JavaScript developers, I as intermediate JavaScript developer found myself rereading some chapters for two or three times. First there was some JavaScript syntax that I was not familiar with or there were concepts that I was not aware of. But with rereading the chapter you will get the authors point.

For me it was good reference because it explained me the difference between object oriented languages (in which I have more experience) and JavaScript. There are tips and
Rob Tsai
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really great dive through specific use cases of JavaScript, and a lot of the "gotcha" type non-intuitive things that can happen.

Definitely worth a read, and probably multiple reads.
Tom
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concise tips on JavaScript internals

I really liked the structure with the 68 tips. Don’t expect any framework discussions; this is all about the JavaScript language itself, its quirks and advantages.
Mike
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software, engineering
As is always the case with this kind of book, there's a lot you already know, and it can be tempting to just read the interesting Items based on their titles. Or alternatively you can do the equivalent of lazy loading and treat it as a reference (which I did with the Git Book).

These are perfectly reasonable things to do, but I'd actually recommend reading through the whole thing. For one, it's a short book, and it doesn't hurt that the writing style is spare and clear. For another, I found that
A
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I think JavaScript is one of the most awful programming language.
The most hazardous feature of it may be working on so many browsers with different specifications.
However, this book does not mention about it, but about how to use native JavaScript.
So, this book is recommeneded for people who just want to know the good practices of native one.
Otherwise, I do not do.

The folllowing things are the typical good points of this book:

1. The good way to use built-in functions.
Variadic functions, the
David
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Javascript is a very funky language, so having some recommended practice helps to quickly optimize your code.
Sam Feder
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really nice book. As I've been going through some of the finer points of JS, Effective JS broke things down for me in both a granular and logical fashion. I especially enjoyed chapters 3 and 4, which delved into functions and objects respectively. These are the two points in this language that drastically differ from other, more familiar languages, so having code samples broken down the way that they were was incredibly useful.

Overall, I loved this book as far as programming books go, and would
Roy Klein
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This should be the new "Javascript the good parts". It's longer, but it's much better written and organized, and is far more thorough.
As someone who has been programming in Javascript for a few years and has been trying to be follow all the language's pitfalls, there was enough material I was not aware of to make the reading worth it. I've got to apply some tips already, and am keeping it handy for reference when I can't remember some of the finer points of the language.

If you work or are going
Daniel R.
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of advice for writing better JavaScript. Building up from basic topics like variable scoping and functions, it progresses through objects, prototypes, and arrays before finishing with design considerations and concurrency. The short topic format works well for the majority of the book. The latter subjects end up cross referencing each other so much I would have rather had fewer topics so I didn't need to jump around so much to fully understand the focus. Overall a great ...more

• JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • The Principles of Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • The Keto Diet: The Complete Guide to a High-Fat Diet, with More Than 125 Delectable Recipes and 5 Meal Plans to Shed Weight, Heal Your Body, and Regain Confidence
  • Platters and Boards: Beautiful, Casual Spreads for Every Occasion (Appetizer Cookbooks, Dinner Party Planning Books, Food Presentation Books)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Effective Software Development (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Effective Debugging: 66 Specific Ways to Debug Software and Systems
  • Effective Python: 59 Specific Ways to Write Better Python
  • Effective Ruby: 48 Specific Ways to Write Better Ruby
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • Effective Perl Programming
  • Effective C#: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your C#
  • More Effective C#: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your C#
  • Code Quality: The Open Source Perspective
  • Code Reading: Open Source Perspective
  • Effective Enterprise Java
“The properties of an object are automatically exposed, whereas the variables in a closure are automatically hidden.” 0 likes