Start by marking “Version Control with Git” as Want to Read:
Version Control with Git

Version Control with Git

Version Control with Git takes you step-by-step through ways to track, merge, and manage software projects, using this highly flexible, open source version control system.

Git permits virtually an infinite variety of methods for development and collaboration. Created by Linus Torvalds to manage development of the Linux kernel, it's become the principal tool for distributed
Published June 11th 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Version Control with Git, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Version Control with Git

Start your review of Version Control with Git
Kevin
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
I recommend this book to anybody who has decided that Git is going to be their DVCS and intends to read the book sequentially, cover to cover. If you're still trying to decide between Mercurial, Bazaar and Git, this is probably a lot more information than you want or require. If you're looking for a quick reference, then the progressive structure may leave you scratching your head when jumping around topic areas.

Once you settle on Git, and want to invest the time to build up the conceptual
Jordan Howe
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very clearly written, but not for dummies, and not a cookbook. Great book for people who need know why Git works the way it does, in addition to learning commonly used commands. It has most everything you need to use Git effectively. As a bonus, there are plenty of diagrams explaining the underlying git architecture.
Venkatesh-Prasad
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like "Pro Git" book, this is not a book to start with Git. For that, I'd recommend "Git for Humans" and "Jumpstart Git".

However, after having used Git a little while, this book is a great source to understand behind-the-scene details of Git. While such details may not be helpful in day-to-day use of Git, being aware of such details can 1) help appreciate the design of Git and 2) provide a peek into the kind of situations one can get into with Git. That second reason is most useful as makes one
Snotnose
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Typical O-Reilly book. More information than you'll ever need, well organized, very readable.

I haven't actually read it, just the parts of it I needed. Just like I'll do for years to come.
Frank Palardy
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: javascript-cloud
Has some details for review.
A. Jesse
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
git is the most powerful and conceptually elegant source code management system I've used. (Perhaps Mercurial rivals it? I haven't used Mercurial.) But it seems to be in a state of arrested development. Many commands commonly used in ordinary development are basically unimplemented, and have to be performed with a set of lower-level commands. For example, publishing a local branch so remote developers can use it, and then setting up the branch so the remote copy continues to get updates, is a ...more
Rod Hilton
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Version Control with Git is a fantastic book if you want to understand how Git is really working. This is important, because I don't know if anyone could ever really use Git without know how it's really working.

The book starts at the simplest possible place and shows examples of using Git, which become handy references for what you want to do with the system. But at each step of the way, it also explains what Git is doing under the hood, with diagrams, examples, and lengthy explanations.
Kyle
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off with the concepts needed to use the product, delves into deeper - more technical - topics and finishes with a look at GitHub. I found that it was a good resource for learning what I could do with Git without spending too much time on one topic. The authors plainly discuss the tool's limitations and how developers are working around them. My favourite parts were on the concept of the working directory and repository, and branching.

My one criticism is that I felt that there
Marshall
Jul 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book on the Git source repository system is probably one of the driest tech books I've ever read. It's filled with overly complex explanations of an already overly complex piece of software, which made it hard to tell the difference. Here's an example of the treats in store for you if you read it:

"Directly fetching and merging a branch with a complex history will yield a different history in the receiving repository than the history that results from a patching sequence. Remember, one of
Szymon
I have a big problem with rating this book. Firstly, it was the last tech/programming book I have read in Polish. Period. The translation was a total disaster. I can't imagine how someone might accept this kind of translation. If you consider reading Polish edition of that book - please, don't do that. Secondly, it shows less pragmatic approach to use git as your version control system. It covers deeply most of the git concepts, it explains how it works and why you should use git in your daily ...more
Katherine
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I wish this was a typographical error but it isn't: "Git manages change."
It doesn't do that. No language or framework does that.
"A monkey who uses Git can manage change" is more appropriate.

But there's good news! This is an excellent book anyone who cares about version control can read without regret.

I still encourage some people to read the less lengthier introductions as this is far from that.

Examples are OK but the hardly gave scenarios relevant for software development teams.
Ed Burns
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this on my Kindle thanks to my employer's Safari Books Online subscription (thanks Oracle). I was looking for a definitive tome on the topic and this fit the bill. My only quibble is the absence of some content early in the book reassuring the reader that eventually this will all make sense in the context of that little bit of Git knowledge you had just to get access to something on GitHub.
Kevin
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I use this book as a reference, though I read the first version all the way through.

Disappointed that this version hasn't added any content on signing tags and why that should be done.

The expanded section on github is nice, but more info on other tools using git would be nice.

As a reference book it is great. The descriptions are detailed and efficient without sacrificing clarity. Git is a complex tool but this book is useful in understanding it.
Chris
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've been using git for about a year and still picked up some ideas from this book - for example, I had a pretty woeful understanding of how the index worked and this covered it well. What I like about it compared to many other references is that it dives into the core abstractions right away rather than focusing on the surface details of command syntax. I've recommended it to my team at work.
Jon
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good guide for someone who's been using git and wants a deep understanding of the architecture and range of features, which matches me well! It's organized logically from a conceptual standpoint, which makes it lousy if one wants to minimize the pages read before being able to do something useful. With a little git experience, though, this becomes an excellent read-once-and-refer.
Chris Wood
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
This is one of the gems in the O'Reilly series. The authors do more than show you how to use the git commands; they explain how git is constructed. This means that you will not only get an understanding how to use git, you will also learn how git is set apart from other vcs offerings. I highly recommend this for folks who are trying to understand why everyone is excited about git.
Shaun
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Developers
Shelves: technical
Great book to introduce and get in depth with git. Takes from from beginner to intermediate/advanced and lets' you start to consume other more dense git topics. Once you finish it give the 2-4 chapter a re-read since you'll be able to get those concepts better after you get the gestalt.
Pieter
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comp-sci
Good technical description of the inner workings of git, a must if you really want to master git's advantages. The level of quality between chapters is quite varying, some of them really don't tell you much more than the man-page, albeit with good examples.
Luis
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book for learning Git.

It includes clear examples on using Git's different features.

It considers almost any scenario you may run into, and the actions you can take to get the results you expect.
Richard
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book.

Great reference for using Git but more importantly it enables you to work with the tools more efficiently as it explains how things work internally.
Olga
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology, testing
great even for a git newbie!
Eddie
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much information. But every other book on this brilliant, insane tool has far too little information.

All technical books sucks, but every technical book sucks in its own way. (Sorry Leo.)
Jeffrey
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
great overview and a decent reference book.
Bulmaro Herrera
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Very very good about approaching a useful point, then going in depth for full explanation.
Lynn
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very good, but I found it bounced from being too detailed and in the guts behind how Git works to being too simplistic in it's examples of how to use Git in practical terms.
Milad
Aug 07, 2011 added it
I understand git in different ways !
John
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Introduces concepts, balances with step-by-step walk throughs. Very useful.
Tamara Temple
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
This is a good book, but now I just go to the git-scm.com web site and read there when I want to find out something.
Steven
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It taught me what I needed to know, and the coverage was more than thorough. A bit worshipful, and took a bit too much delight in abstract and meta examples and clarity suffered for that.
Не
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech-related
Too verbose in some places. I feel like it needs more real-life examples. Overall more than a decent book on the topic.

• Pro Git
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words
  • The C Programming Language

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“When Git needs to create a working directory, it says to the filesystem: “Hey! I have this big blob of data that is supposed to be placed at pathname path/to/directory/file.” 0 likes
“octothorp” 0 likes