Start by marking “Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection, #1)

Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  3,577 Ratings  ·  417 Reviews
Beauty and the Beast is the first in a new series of fairy tales for young adult readers. Fans of Disney, fairy tales, and fantasy will love the Faerie Tale Collection by Jenni James. A prince by day and a wolf by night—

Prince Alexander has been turned into a werewolf and has one year to find someone to love the beast and break the spell, or he will be a wolf forever. He h
Published June 4th 2012 by StoneHouse Ink

To ask other readers questions about Beauty and the Beast, please sign up.
Kadee it is nothing like the disney version of beauty and the beast. jenni is good writer and doesnt put anything inappropriate in her books. i can promise…moreit is nothing like the disney version of beauty and the beast. jenni is good writer and doesnt put anything inappropriate in her books. i can promise you that cause i know her and have talked to her. i highly recommend all her faire tale collection books.(less)

Allison
Rarely am I disappointed by a Beauty and the Beast retelling. It is my favorite fairy tale and I tend to view even problematic retellings with rose-colored glasses.
This is one of those rare times. And it is so sad because it starts out with such an interesting idea.
The idea of the "Beast" character being a werewolf instead of an animal full-time is not a new one. What is new here is Beauty (Cecelia) being courted simultaneously by both prince and wolf, but because the prince mistreated her in th
Zyra
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ymryson
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. Fairy tale retellings always have great potential. Unfortunately, this one does not live up to the original. It's stuffed with stilted conversations and awkward and unrealistic situations. Melodramatic language compounds the other issues.

"She snuggled in closer, her other hand playing with the smooth fabric of his tied cravat. “You are simply the most horrid man in the world. I cannot stand the sight of you.”"

Also, "gel". Not gel, like shower gel, but gel as i
Meret Punk
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 stars(:
A cute re-telling..
I felt like the events were really rushed, and I always prefer stories that take their time..
Its an "okay" read..
Madison Vessels
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Typically speaking, I like to read fairy tale classics told in a new light. When I was given this to read...I was decently happy about it, granted Beauty and the Beast is not my favorite.

To start with, the book was not just an easy read....it was overly easy. The book is for young adults and yet reads like it should be for a younger generation. The only thing that could be argued for young adults is that the vocabulary is a bit more advanced than a childrens novel. I will say though that the cov
C.P. Cabaniss
This was a rather ridiculous fairy tale based around Beauty and the Beast. And by ridiculous, I mostly mean that it was cheesy. But it was also a lot of fun to read.

The story itself could have used some more development. The characters were just kind of thrown at you and I wasn't very inclined to like either of them at first. They grew on quickly though. And they were really cute and funny together. It was fun to read their silly banter.

I wasn't too into the fact that the "Beast" was only a wol
Ceri
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
Author Jenni James has interpreted a number of fairy tales and this is the first of them I've read. The story begins with Prince Alexander being turned into a beast by an old lady. The curse can only be broken once he finds somebody that can love him for the beast that he truly is. Luckily for him, he only turns into a beast at night, but unluckily, he only has a year to find this lady before he is unable to transform back to human form.

We also meet Cecelia, who is in love with a Lord, and certa
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I really enjoyed Jenni James new series The Jane Austen Diaries (especially Pride & Popularity), and was excited to see she is coming out with a new Faerie Tale collection. I just have to say, I was a tad disappointed the faerie tales didn’t have tweaked titles, I liked how she played with the Austen titles and thought it would have been cute if she had done the same for the faerie tale collection.

Anyway, Beauty and the Beast was a cute story. While reading I kept thinking it would be a fun
Deborah
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I adore this author. I think she really had something with this book, but just missed the mark. The love story was too fast and therefore not believable. As I was reading this story I also came to the conclusion that I don't love Beauty and the Beast stories where there is actually an animal of some sort involved. I know sounds weird right? Hear me out...I love the idea of someone who is egotisical and so in love with themselves that they are humbled to see the other side. I love it when someone ...more
Julie
There were things new to me in this retelling I had never encountered before and I thought they were an interesting idea. The first was the beast wasn't an animal all the time. During the day he was human and still able to go about his daily life as he had before. I thought the book taking place in a normal regency courtship setting. The other thing was they knew each other before he was cursed. They did not have a good relationship from before, in fact he had been intentionally mean to her.

I di
Melanie
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a cute and fun fairytale! Different enough from the original Beauty and the Beast story to be unique and yet also staying true to the main story. I enjoyed it!
Calamus
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I’ve been in a reading slump lately. My attention span has been short; I will open up a book, just to close it a few pages later after realizing that I am daydreaming instead of following the story. Searching through my Kindle for something that will get me past the slump, I found Jenni James’s Beauty and the Beast, a retelling of the well-known fairy tale. I’ve always enjoyed reading different fairy tale interpretations and at 142 pages, I figured this would be a fun and fast read to stop the r ...more
Katie W
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the story of Beauty and the Beast--you know, getting to know the inside/character of a person instead of focusing on the outward appearance. This was a fun re-telling with a bit of a twist.

Cecelia was being courted...so she thought. With the whole village gossiping about her situation, she isn't sure how to respond to Prince Alexander's sudden interest in her. He hasn't exactly been kind in the past.

The only thing that bothered me was how quickly Cecelia was to believe that slimy cousin.
Deborah Andreasen
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet retelling

This was a sweet retelling of the classic tale. I loved that "beauty" and the "beast" knew each other before his enchantment. That being said, I felt like a mere three days in the presence of the wolf want really enough time to justify a romantic relationship, let alone a declaration of love. Aside from that, this was a great story that I highly recommend.
Valerie Waters
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lendable-ebooks
This book was probably a 3.5. It was cute but a little too quick to be believable. I didn't like how they were madly in love after the first or second meeting.
Jilly
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: retellings
Very sweet, cute, and light short book that focuses on "Beauty" and "Beast's" feelings. It wasn't highly inventive or groundbreaking, but it was a nice little book.
Libby
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Natalie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
The most bipolar retelling of Beauty and the Beast I've ever seen. The changing moods of the characters gave me whiplash.

Cecilia HATES the prince and swears to hate him forever, and then talks to him and suddenly he's charming and handsome. She trusts a magical talking wolf with no hesitation. She believes everything the prince's cousin says and hates the prince again. Then she sees how handsome he is and likes him again. She gets mad at the wolf and forgives the wolf all in the space of 5 minu
Ruth
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
When Prince Alexander, the spoiled, handsome ruler of the land directs one of his famous insults at an ugly old woman, the last thing he expects is retaliation. But retaliate she does, cursing him to live each night in the form of a beast unless he can find a woman to love him in his beastly form within a year, thereby breaking the spell. Losing hope that anyone could look beyond his beastly form, Alexander concentrates his efforts on a succession plan, determined to leave his kingdom in better ...more
Stacey
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Honesty time.

I am trying so terribly hard to understand why this book was rated so highly. Perhaps it was just the Kindle version I read that was poorly written? In any case...

Story time!

Now, don't get me wrong, I can get past terrible writing if the story is good, and vice versa. But this story was just not good. As far as re-tellings of Beauty and the Beast goes, this is by far my least favorite.

From the first chapter of the book, continuity and time-lines were such a confusion, as they seemed
Jayne
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Maria
My scoring star scale:
5 - Absolutely loved it and would read it more than once (if I have it on my Kindle, I would also go out and by a hard copy of the book to share with others)
4 - I really liked it. The story stayed with me; it surprised me in a good way; it made me want to read the story in one sitting; high possibility of being read again
3 - Average rating. There were parts of the story that I loved and other parts that I did not; the story kept my interest but did not grab me (to the point
Jessica
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I'll admit, I didn't have the highest expectations going into this book. I saw the reviews were mixed but, being someone who can be picky about fairytale re-tellings, I understood. Still, I figured I'd walk away reading something I at least liked and move on. What I wound up reading still has me confused and laughing at the same time.

Miss Cecelia Hammerstein-Smythe, our Beauty of the book and her Beast, Prince Alexander (don't worry if you forget their names, they are mentioned every two seconds
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
This one is the most paranormal of the series so far, since it features a werewolf of sorts. Only...the Beast character isn't really a werewolf, but cursed to take on the shape unless someone can fall in love with him in that form before his thirtieth birthday. When I first heard that he was a werewolf, I groaned, too, but it really isn't like that. I enjoyed seeing the dynamic between Cecelia (Beauty) and Prince Alexander (Beast) as it shaped and developed.

The new twist here is the fact that C
Erika
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I must be feeling generous because this really deserves two stars but I want to give it three. I loved the fluffy easy happy ending.

I have not read a retelling of beauty and the beast with a werewolf. I was impressed with that concept.

The falling in love happened much too fast and would have been interesting to watch develop at a more believable pace. I just wanted them to fall in love so it didn't irk me too much.

I would have liked to see what experiences caused the prince to change, we hear
Rachel
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A charming, sweet, and enchanting read. From the first time we meet Cecelia, I totally got her spunky personality because I act like that. I just loved the interaction between her and the beast because the dialogue was so fun (it made me laugh at times) and sweet. Prince Alexander is a bit violent when he is angry at times but he learns that this can only get him in trouble. There were a couple of times I didn't buy the events in the story. SPOILER when Cecelia is told the prince made fun of her ...more
Leila
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: retelling
The book wasn't bad. It starts out some what repetitive: same Beauty and Beast story, so for the first 50 pages or so, I was just kinda rolling my eyes, hoping something interesting would happen, half considering dropping the book and continuing onto my next one. After that, though, it gets more interesting. Jenni James adds a few twists into the story and writes a very strong connection between Cecelia and her Apollo (the beast). I enjoy the idea of Alexander being a beast at night and a human ...more
Noella
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This retelling of Beauty and the Beast held my attention but the progression of the Prince Beast and Belle aka Cecelia Hammerstein-Smythe was in my opinion too fast. Instead of being full beast, the Prince is destined to be half human half wolf for the rest of his life unless someone falls in love with him in his beast form within the year. The Prince approaches Cecelia (whom he has offended multiple times in the past) in beast form and she is neither repulsed nor scared, but rather, she befrien ...more
Anna Marie
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like faerie tales. But this one? It was written with no 'flesh'. The descriptions of what people were doing and where they were and what was happening around them was non-existent. It's how my first drafts are when I write something, before I go back and add in the 'harmony'. If you don't mind that, it's a good telling of a were-wolf prince. Although... well, the girl is nothing special, just in the right place at the right time. And the reasoning for his treatment of her pre-curse is contrive ...more
Kathy
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This was a cute, quick, clean retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Author Jenni James took a story that's been told multiple time in multiple ways and added her own unique spin to it.

Robin McKinley's Beauty still remains in the top spot as my favorite Beauty and the Beast retelling but this was a welcome addition to a genre I love.

This will easily appeal to and be appropriate for readers from tween to adult. It's not my favorite book Jenni has written but was still

Rating: 3.5 Stars - Good Book

Cont
  • Beautiful Beast (Enchanted Fairytales, #1)
  • Awake (A Fairytale Trilogy #1)
  • A White So Red
  • Snow White and Rose Red: The Curse of the Huntsman
  • Queen Cinder (Shards of the Glass Slipper, #1)
  • Not Your Average Fairy Tale
  • At Face Value
  • Cinderella: Ninja Warrior (Twisted Tales, #1)
  • Robin: Lady of Legend (The Classic Adventures of the Girl Who Became Robin Hood)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Daughter of Helaman (Stripling Warrior, #1)
  • Mrs. Beast
  • The Whispered Kiss
  • A Clockwork Fairytale
  • The World Above:  A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood
  • Cinders
  • Dragon Rose (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #2)
  • Violet Eyes:  A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea
CLEAN ROMANCE FOR TEENS:

*The Jane Austen Diaries*
Pride & Popularity (Aug 2011)
Persuaded (Aug. 2012)
Emmalee (Jan 2013)
Mansfield Ranch (Dec 2013)
Northanger Alibi (Feb. 2012)
Sensible & Sensational (July 2015)
Sand & Sun (2016)

Hansel and Gretel
Jack and the Beanstalk
Snow
More about Jenni James

Faerie Tale Collection (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Faerie Tale Collection, #2)
  • Rumplestiltskin (Faerie Tale Collection, #3)
  • Cinderella (Faerie Tale Collection, #4)
  • Hansel and Gretel (Faerie Tale Collection, #5)
  • Jack and the Beanstalk (Faerie Tale Collection, #6)
  • Snow White (Faerie Tale Collection, #7)
  • The Frog Prince (Faerie Tale Collection, #8)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Faerie Tale Collection, #9)
  • Rapunzel (Faerie Tale Collection, #10)
  • The Little Mermaid (Faerie Tale Collection, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
“He had to do so, because he learned through the lesson of petals and thorns and a pretty girl that you are only worth how good your soul truly is.” 1 likes