Start by marking “An Apple for the Creature” as Want to Read:
An Apple for the Creature

An Apple for the Creature

(Kate Daniels #5.3 - Magic Tests)

Includes a never-before-published Sookie Stackhouse story!

What could be scarier than the first day of school? How about a crash course in the paranormal from Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner, editors of Home Improvement: Undead Edition? Your worst school nightmares—taking that math test you never studied for, finding yourself naked in school assembly, not knowing whi
Published September 4th 2012 by Ace (first published August 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about An Apple for the Creature, please sign up.
Melissa Kocken-Shugart There are links to places/stores to purchase it above.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
The Grand IAA™ KD Buddy Rerererereread Extravaganza (GIAAKDBRE™), aka the yellow brick road to Magic Triumphs

Review for Magic Tests (Kate Daniels #5.3):

Actual rating: 3.7589784256 stars.

Since my original review went poof and stuff and since my grey cells are ancient and tired and clearly not functioning at their optimum capacity and stuff and since I am feeling lazy as fish and stuff, you are going to get a Super Crappy Super Downsized Crappy Non Review (SVSDCNR™) and stuff. So be glad
Evgeny
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

This review is for Ilona Andrews' Magic Tests only. I will update it after I read other short stories of the collection.

Kate Daniels' protégée Julie got kicked out of her last school, so now Kate needs to find another place of learning for Julie and somehow motivate her to actually stay there. Julie chooses a school at random from the list Kate did. She was not enthusiastic with a place until the principal mentioned that he can only accep
Sophia Triad
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is the first day for Julie at her new magic school. A girl has disappeared there.
While she is touring the school, she is also helping the director of the Seven Star Academy to solve the mystery and she is making new friends.

Yu Fong a puzzling young shifter dragon will help her. I wonder if he is the same dragon from “Magic Dreams”.

I liked the story. It was like a young adult version of Kate’s books.
Julie acts as a mini Kate
Armina
Buddy read with Eilonwy , Evgeny , Asya , and Monty Cupcake

This goes only for Magic Tests by Ilona Andrews. I might come back to the other stories in this anthology sometime in the future.

3 STARS

“True strength isn’t in killing-or ignoring-your opponent, it’s in having the will to shield those who need your protection.”

Or how Kate tricked Julie in growing up a little and taking more responsibility.

I quite like Julie's character, though she can be a bit annoying at times but I think
♥Rachel♥
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize Julie was such a badass! She is really learning from Kate and I can't wait to see how she grows up. I wonder who she'll end up with: Derek, Ascanio, or possibly the new "object of worship"?
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
My favorite short story yet! So good. ^_^
Angela
August 2016 re-read: I like Julie. I really do. Even more so now that I've read the first Grey Wolf book...

Plus it's always awesome to see Kate from someone else's point of view. LOL. The description of Kate's magic - how it looks? - awesome.

Parenting, kick-ass Kate Daniel's style. Do what I say. There wasn't even an or attached to it. Or didn't exist.

^^favorite quote

October 2015 re-read: I'll be honest, I don't love anthologies. Most of the time the stories aren't worth it, so I only usually gr
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
I hope there's going to be a book for Julie in the future or something. I wonder with whom she's gonna end up with..?;)

Merged review:

Kate Daniels only.

I love Julie, even if she's being infuriating sometimes. I hope we get to see more of the Dragon.
edge of bubble
Julie has the classic teenage girl syndrome going on for her. But for some reason I understand her and am not annoyed by her I know best attitude. Ilona Andrews is that good! This was a cute side story and even a short story like this had interesting side characters!
ALPHAreader
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
 ‘Magic Tests’ by Ilona Andrews

Julie Lennart-Olsen is princess of the Pack and ward to pack-master Curran and his mate, Kate Daniels. She knows her important place in the pack hierarchy, and what is expected of her as ward to two of the most powerful people in Atlanta. But what Julie cannot abide, what is far too awful for words, pomp and circumstance is . . . school. Julie once went so far as to mail herself back to Kate rather than remain at her hated boarding school. That’s why Julie can’t q
Haïfa
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf
This is another short story in Kate Daniels's world that focused on Julie.
Julie is sent by Kate to a magic school to investigate the disappearance of one of the students.

Since reading Harry Potter, I'm quite fond of magic schools! And even if this story was very short, it had the right atmosphere and was very fun to read!

If I had to complain about something, I would say that Julie's POV was very similar to Kate's. I always felt that Julie had a strange mix of strong will, stubbornness and vuln
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
🎀 Read for The Grand KD Buddy Read/Reread/Rererereread 2017-2018 with the Addicts (IAA™) 🎀

Stories Read: 1

Ilona Andrews - Magic Tests (Kate Daniels #5.3)
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Date: March 9, 2018

When her guardian, Kate Daniels, sends her undercover to a school for exceptional children, teenaged Julie learns an all-new definition of "exceptional," in New York Times bestselling author Ilona Andrews's "Magic Tests."

This was quite the cute little story from Julies' perspective ✔
Maria Dimitrova
A short from Julie's POV. I was kind of hoping to see if the ritual (view spoiler) in Magic Slays has had some strange effect on her but nothing was revealed. Still it was fun to spend some time in her head and see what she thinks of the world.
Mitticus
Antologia de relatos cortos de lo sobrenatural y la educación en diversas formas que van desde Ilona Andrews a Charlaine Harris y Faith Hunter, pasando por Marjorie M. Liu (cuya historia buscaba al leer esto), la historia excepcional de Mike Carey y varios otros autores desconocidos para mi. Recibe el nombre por la historia corta de Faith Hunter.

1)“Playing Possum” by Charlaine Harris. 2.8 ★ ★ ★ (Sookie Stackhouse #17)
Sookie va a la escuela primaria de su sobrino Hunter con cupcakes, y luego se
Cathy (cathepsut)
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015, read-2016
Re-reading the series with the Ilona Andrews Addicts, before 'Magic Binds' comes out in September 2016. Hadn't planned to re-read all the shorts and novellas as well, but changed my mind. Will try to read parallel to the main series.

Read first on July 25, 2015.

Nice little short story, told from Julie's POV, at the end of Magic Breaks. Julie thinks that Kate tries to manipulate her into liking the school she picked for her.

“I’m older, wiser, and I know better. Deal with it.”
Parenting, kick-ass K
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
I really like Julie and the bond she has with Kate. And I like their clash of wills.

In this short story, Kate gives Julie the assignment to find a missing student of a school for gifted youngsters. She accepts and gets to explore the grounds, make some new friends and indebt herself to a dragon. That last part is really interesting ((view spoiler)). At the end, it is implied that Julie will start attending this school.

Moving on to Ma
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Only read Magic Tests.

I beyond loathe Julie, even more now from reading her POV. All she ever goes on about is how she doesn't need an education & can skip it all & instantly be Kate. Not happening, ever.

The story is getting 2-3 stars only in deference to its talk of the color of magics & use of Greek mythology. Julie gets negative stars. 5 stars for the dragon.
3 stars for the whole anthology but 4.5 stars if I was just rating Magic Gifts by Ilona Andrews

An Apple for the Creature is an anthology containing 13 school related stories that would probably make great holiday reading around Halloween. As with most anthologies I found the quality of the stories was a bit hit and miss, there were several I enjoyed but I doubt I'll read the book again. In fact, I think the only story I would go out of my way to re-read is Magic Tests by Ilona Andrews which is t
Martel
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast and fun read about Julie playing detective in her new school.
First time I wish for a YA series ;)
Perfect setting, characters and ambiance for a spin off... The young (view spoiler) "hero" was amazing, I hope to see him again in the series.
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

The anthologies edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner combine top authors from many different genres with a specific paranormal theme. This time the theme was school and it produced some unique and interesting stories. I think these anthologies are some of the best in paranormal fiction, but this one didn’t quite hit the mark for me. There were some truly exceptional stories in this volume, but they were outnumbered by the les
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
i just read the first chapter from Magic Tests and now i really wanna get my hands on it.

here's the link

_____________________________________________________________________

Playing Possum by Charlaine Harris. (1-24pgs) ★★
a Sookie Stackhouse novella

Sookie is visiting her nephew, Hunter to celebrate Labour Day with his kindergarten class mates.

the start of this book was beyond boring i actually skipped a few pages until it got to the "good" bit and even that
Ferdy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Rating only for Magic Tests - 3/5 stars, spoilers

I didn't read any of the contributions by the other authors, I just read Ilona Andrews short story. Magic Tests is from the perspective of Kate's ward Julie.
Julie is annoyed when Kate takes her to a new school to enroll, on their arrival the principle asks Julie to investigate a missing student.
I had mixed feelings about Julie. I didn't really like her at the beginning of the story when she was around Kate but once she was with people her own age
Theresa
4 Stars...This was an enjoyable read focusing on Julie's POV as she investigates the disappearance of a student at her potential new school....it was interesting to see the inner workings of Julie's mind as well as the extent of her magical abilities...this novella provided a bit of insight into this secondary character and her impact on the overall storyline:)
Fastidious
All stories feature a student-teacher dynamic or some other education aspect. First anthology I've read that included author bios as a lead-in to each story. Something I'd like to see become a standard practice in the future because it's nice to know whether the story is from a series, & what other works to check out if you find that author interesting. Let review commence...

Playing Possum CHARLAINE HARRIS | ✩✩✩✩✩
Featuring Sookie & her nephew hunter from the Sookie Stackhouse series. Soo
KatieV
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
cute short about Julie checking out a new school and solving a mystery.
Angie
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anyways... I adore anthologies. I like to be able to just sit down sometimes and finish a story in one hour. (One of the reasons I love King, he writes short story books all the time). I also love to be introduced to new authors. This book had some amazing stories. One complaint I have this time around is a few of them 5 or 6 were stories that ended up in the air. So it was up to our imagination. While I don't mind these types of stories I prefer the short stories I read to end in a pretty bow.

I
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
I only read Ilona Andrews story Magic Test.

5 Magic Test Stars

Magic Test is #5.3 in Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels sereis. I enjoyed a peak into Julie’s mind and life. What a fantastic read! Ilona knows how to pull her fans into the world of Atlanta and it's Magic/Technology.

Magic Test is done from Julie's POV. Ilona does a superb job of explaining how the world works with and without magic. Just like all kids they don’t want to attend school, but must to learn all the things they need to know
Lisazj1
I don't usually read the shorts that a lot of authors provide, stuff they write on the side or scenes that got cut from a book. But this was included in the back of Magic Breaks, so I already had it open. I'm really glad I took the time to read it, it was pretty damn awesome for so few pages.

Julie, Kate's ward, doesn't want to go to school but you know Kate & Curran are not going to be ok with that. On a visit to a possible school, suddenly Kate is interviewing the principal instead of the o
Nidofito
Julie is Kate 2.0. Not so much of a distinct personality.
Teresa
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A very short, cute Julie POV novella. Not really anything overwhelming happened, but I do adore Julie and so it was worth it
Bookworm Buddies: An Apple for the Creature 3 32 Nov 04, 2012 05:58AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: An Apple for the Creature 1 3 Oct 22, 2012 10:45AM

• Hex Appeal
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels, #4.5)
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
  • Five Down
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Magic Graves (Night Huntress, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #0.5)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
“When I got a bad grade in my old boarding school, Kate would make a trip to the school to chew me out. When I got homesick, I'd flunk a grade on purpose. Sometimes she came by herself. Sometimes with other people. Boy kind of people. Of whom I promised myself I wouldn't be thinking about, because they were idiots.” 12 likes
“True strength isn’t in killing—or ignoring—your opponent, it’s in having the will to shield those who need your protection.” 10 likes