Start by marking “Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
Collected Poems

Collected Poems

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  357 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This collection comprises all of John Betjeman's poetry. His work is known both for its range and mastery of poetic form.
Paperback
Published July 1st 2006 by John Murray Publishers (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Collected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Poems

brian
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mariel, karen, bram... the whole moz-obsessed crew.
betjeman's great poem, "slough" is surely the inspiration for one of the great songs of the 20th century, dontcha think? check the excerpts:

slough

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air-conditioned bright canteens.
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

read the full poem here:

everyday is l

--Exchange of Livings
--Undenom
Jane
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
As part of my annual book challenge I had to read a book of poetry - not my normal reading fare! So I picked John Betjeman as we'd read some of his poems at High School. What I didn't expect was how those few poems we did at school stood out from the rest and brought back such memories. In fact the poems were so memorable I could almost quote them word for word as I read them again for the first time in 35 years. Poems such as 'Death in Leamington' , Upper Lambourne', 'Christmas' and 'Youth and ...more
Wendy Laird
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Slough" is one of my all-time favorite poems, and earned the fourth star. Some say Betjeman is an unsung British poet. I think he is just-enough-sung.
Russio
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my dad's book and a strange shelf-fellow it made with the rest of his reading, centring as it did upon histories of recent conflict (by which I mean WWII and Napoleon). The best-selling nature perhaps goes some way to explain its presence but not fully; it was/is simply an enigma. This meant for a reading on two levels for me: firstly, as a person reasonably well-versed in poetry (pun intended), it appealed on a personal level; secondly it enabled me to play detective for my father's se ...more
Wayne

"A DELIGHTFUL SERIOUS POET"...now THAT grabs me!!!
It insinuates that Both Sides of the Coin are being acknowledged.

Also brings to mind a birthday card my Mum's older sister,Rosie, once sent me which carried the line: "He Who Laughs, Lasts."

In the introduction penned by the Earl of Birkenhead,
he writes of "the abysmal depression sometimes apparent in"
...his verse "and his avowed terror of death."
The use of humour might signify an avoidance of a reality, or a refusal to avoid reality. Dorothy Par
Duncan
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Much of Betjeman's writing took a nostalgic look at a Britain that was disappearing or had been already replaced at the time of writing. I was born over 80 years after Betjeman, however, so while his poetry harked backwards to times within living memory for much of his readership, that era was gone long before my time.

Much of this book being grounded in a time and place I have no experience of, I frequently felt myself unable to really appreciate many of these poems.

Anyone considering reading
Karen
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read A Subaltern's Love Song in The Guardian the a few weeks ago, and thought it was pretty funny. It got me interested in learning more about Betjeman and reading more of his poetry. I hadn't really intended to read this whole collection, but ended up enjoying many of the poems so much that I did read the book cover to cover. He has some brilliant poems. I like how he writes about big and sporty women, his teddy bear, parts of London I know and he beautifully describes Cornwall and its coast. ...more
David
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the titles of Betjeman's poems more than the poems themselves. If this was a book solely of his poem titles I'd have given it five stars. Here are a few of my favourite titles:

"Distant View of a Provincial Town"
"Suicide on Junction Road Station after Abstention from Evening Communion in North London"
"On Seeing an Old Poet in the Café Royal"
"Oxford: Sudden Illness at the Bus-stop"
"On a Portrait of a Deaf Man"
"Original Sin on the Sussex Coast"
"Monody on the Death of a Platonist Bank Clerk"
Larry
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Former Poet Laureate of Great Britain John has/had both, in life and death, mixed responses to his poetry. It was only in reading these poems in conjunction with his biography (A.N. Wilson's: Betjeman) that I fully appreciated the majority of them. His struggles with love interests (male and female), his friendships and loyalty with the Mitford sisters and others, his faith; High Anglicanism, his interaction with Catholicism, (interaction with Evelyn Waugh), love of trains and Classic Architectu ...more
Diane Ramirez
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful discovery John Betjeman's poetry is! The intro promised that Betjeman is the type or poet that you want to have at your bedside and I find that to be true. Very accessible, yet somehow more profound than most poetry I've encountered, however fancy the language. There were times I'd ask my husband if he'd like to hear a poem, and I'd read aloud the next one, and we'd both sit there gut-punched afterwards. I am confident that as I continue to live this life and experience my exper ...more
secondwomn
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
lovely poems but i can see why betjeman is not much discussed outside the uk. he captures a particular time, place, class, gender of english experience in compelling and daredevil fashion. but much of his particulars depend upon understanding already the code of a man's upper-middle class 20th c. english life. well worth the effort, but for the rest of the world, betjeman requires some effort to crack. beneath the trappings is a poet warmly attuned to the joys and shames of modern life.
Shonna Froebel
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I have always liked Betjeman's poems and became more interested in him years ago after reading a memoir by his granddaughter of her grandmother. This collection shows the progression of his work, and led me to discover some new favourites in addition to the ones I already liked. Whether talking about people, nature or life, Betjeman's poetry rings true and does not sound analytic.
R.J. Lynch
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betjeman is looked down on by some as a versifier; in fact he was an accomplished poet with a sharp eye and something to say that needed to be said. I think his problem, in Britain at any rate, is that very British idea that high culture is for the elite and a poet who was so popular can't be any good.
Ian K
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Betjeman's poetry can be, and is often is, dismissed as light verse. Well, it's easy to read, but there is so much more in it than is evident at first. In my view he was one of the greatest modern English poets without the pretentious elitism found so often in the literary world.
Simon Cowan
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book amused me, made me think, even inspired me to write again after a very dry period in my own poems. Definitely a poet I'll be reading more of. Another accessible poet whose work evoked so many emotions.
John
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Betjeman writes the poems that I could only ever dream of writing... his work is sublime - this selection is superb.
David Lemons
Betjeman's verse is refreshing even unto this day. It has a liveliness that is rare among poets, especially American ones with their false anguish and downhome-country-music-feeling-sorry- for-themselves verse. No tortured genitalia for Sir John, no siree. He gets down to business with laughing at the "swells" of urbane London and the misguided aristocrats from English public schools (U.S. private schools same-same). You don't know exactly how but you walk away after reading his poetry feeling w ...more
Lucy
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incomparable, inimitable, a master of his craft. Every poem a little piece of perfection.
Hazel
Jun 24, 2012 marked it as to-read
I've read bits of Betjeman, of course, but I think I should get my own copy of this.
Angie Rhodes
  • Collected Poems: 1945-1990 R.S.Thomas: Collected Poems : R S Thomas
  • Golden Treasury
  • The Nation's Favourite Poems: Book 1
  • The Age of Anxiety: A Baroque Eclogue
  • By Heart: 101 Poems to Remember (Faber Poetry)
  • New European Poets
  • The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry
  • The Complete Poems
  • Quiver of Arrows: Selected Poems, 1986-2006
Inexpensive Progress

Encase your legs in nylons,
Bestride your hills with pylons
O age without a soul;
Away with gentle willows
And all the elmy billows
That through your valleys roll.

Let's say goodbye to hedges
And roads with grassy edges
And winding country lanes;
Let all things travel faster
Where motor car is master
Till only Speed remains.

Destroy the ancient inn-signs
But strew the roads with tin signs
'Keep Left,' 'M4,' 'Keep Out!'
Command, instruction, warning,
Repetitive adorning
The rockeried roundabout;

For every raw obscenity
Must have its small 'amenity,'
Its patch of shaven green,
And hoardings look a wonder
In banks of floribunda
With floodlights in between.

Leave no old village standing
Which could provide a landing
For aeroplanes to roar,
But spare such cheap defacements
As huts with shattered casements
Unlived-in since the war.

Let no provincial High Street
Which might be your or my street
Look as it used to do,
But let the chain stores place here
Their miles of black glass facia
And traffic thunder through.

And if there is some scenery,
Some unpretentious greenery,
Surviving anywhere,
It does not need protecting
For soon we'll be erecting
A Power Station there.

When all our roads are lighted
By concrete monsters sited
Like gallows overhead,
Bathed in the yellow vomit
Each monster belches from it,
We'll know that we are dead.”
1 likes
“Late-Flowering Lust

My head is bald, my breath is bad,
Unshaven is my chin,
I have not now the joys I had
When I was young in sin.
I run my fingers down your dress
With brandy-certain aim
And you respond to my caress
And maybe feel the same.
But I've a picture of my own
On this reunion night,
Wherein two skeletons are shewn
To hold each other tight;
Dark sockets look on emptiness
Which once was loving-eyed,
The mouth that opens for a kiss
Has got no tongue inside.
I cling to you inflamed with fear
As now you cling to me,
I feel how frail you are my dear
And wonder what will be--
A week? or twenty years remain?
And then--what kind of death?
A losing fight with frightful pain
Or a gasping fight for breath?
Too long we let our bodies cling,
We cannot hide disgust
At all the thoughts that in us spring
From this late-flowering lust.”
1 likes