Start by marking “The Complete Poems” as Want to Read:
The Complete Poems

The Complete Poems

In 1846 a small book entitled Poems by Currer, Ellis and Acton Bellappeared on the British Literary scene. The three psuedonymous poets, the Bront� sisters went on to unprecedented success with such novels as Wuthering Heights, Agnes Grey, and Jane Eyre, all published in the following year.

As children, these English sisters had begun writing poems and stories abotu an imag
Published January 4th 1996 by Columbia University Press (first published 1846)

Start your review of The Complete Poems
Lucy Powrie
If I could rate this one billion stars, I would. These poems are incredibly precious to me – they've been with me throughout the bad times and the good, ever-present in my life.
There's not a lot I wouldn't do to somehow turn back time and rescue the rest of the Gondal work.
Emily May
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
Come, Walk With Me

Come, walk with me,
There's only thee
To bless my spirit now -
We used to love on winter nights
To wander through the snow;
Can we not woo back old delights?
The clouds rush dark and wild
They fleck with shade our mountain heights
The same as long ago
And on the horizon rest at last
In looming masses piled;
While moonbeams flash and fly so fast
We scarce can say they smiled -

Come walk with me, come walk with me;
We were not once so few
But Death has stolen our company
As sunshine stea
Mery_B
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
4'5

In dungeons dark I cannot sing
In sorrow's thrall 'tis hard to smile
What bird can soar with broken wing
What heart can bleed and joy the while
Jason Gignac
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fill-in-the-gaps
A few months ago, I got a meme in Facebook, asking me to talk about my favorite books. The experience was a very dark, painful afternoon of thinking about books. Books are too much like friends for my relationships to be terribly healthy with - God knows I mistreat my friends. But in that meme, I wrote about Emily Dickinson, about how it was difficult to seperate the woman from the poetry. I have this sort of purist mind that tells me that's asign of weakness, that I'm conflating good writing wi ...more
Madly Jane
Emily Bronte is such a mystery. How could she write such fierce fiction. There is power and deep longing in her poetry especially her Gondal poems which she used for Wuthering Heights. I want to write a story about that! Love her.
lauren
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

I have finally done it: I've read Emily's poetry in its entirety (well except the lost ones). This collection is brilliant for those of you who want to read Emily's poetry. Janet Gezari has spilt Emily's verse into 5 categories: poems published in 1846, dated poems, undated poems, poems of doubtful authorship and poems as edited by Charlotte in 1850. This makes reading them much more enjoyable as you can watch Emily's writing develop and see how she begins to experiment
Pink
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poetry is hard for me and I think it always will be. Some of these were pure brilliance, but there were a lot and so their quality differed throughout. Although I suppose that's to be expected with any complete works. A must read for Bronte fans, especially if you loved the darkness of Wuthering Heights. .
Fede
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, uk-irish
-Bleak for the sake of being bleak;

-Repetitive. She keeps using the same words over and over and over, to the point of total, shallow mannerism);

- Merely descriptive poetry. Always the same landscape, seen from one single point of view, with a weak stereotypical connection between feelings and nature (kind of a tamed version of German Romanticism plus English Pre-Raphaelite 'topoi');

- Most poems were supposed to be part of a bigger prose-poetry work that never saw the light of day (thank God) an
Carol
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emily-bronte
One of my favorites --

No coward soul of mine
No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere;
I see Heaven glories shine
And Faith shines equal arming me from Fear.

O God within my breast,
Almighty ever-present Deity;
Life, that in me hast rest
As I -- Undying Life -- have power in Thee.

Vain are the thousand creeds
That move men's hearts -- unutterably vain,
Worthless as withered weeds
Or idlest froth amid the boundless main --

To waken doubt in one
Holding so fast by thy infinity
So surely anchored on
The s
Lapsus Linguae
I've never been a fan of "Wuthering Heights", but I love Emily's poetry. She's one of my most favourite poets. I was so inspired by her poems that I wrote the verses of my own, and I find them... well, promising.

Of long ago there is the world
That always speak to me -
The prose of Anne and verse of Emily.
Like see-breeze fresh, like gull's scream bold

Two novels. One thunder-blast, the earth of pain,
Wild winter rose in bloom,
Another is a sun-ray, shining through the gloom.
And poems - li

Katie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry, review
Although I feel quite bad about it, I must admit that I did not like this book much. I love poetry in general and had heard good things about Bronte, but except for a few hidden gems, I did not think this collection was very good.
I generally think that the poems are very repetitive. The same themes appear over and over again and are, moreover, dealt with in a relatively superficial way. That is to say, a great deal of Bronte's writing is merely descriptive.
Additionally, while Bronte mostly stick
Sophie
I am not very good with poetry, I really struggle with it. But this was a completely different experience! The strength and the beauty of each of Emily Brontë’s poems are just beyond this world, quite literally. She seems neither with the living nor with the dead. She is her own little force in the moors of Yorkshire, and she takes you into this whirlwind of feelings... I’m not making much sense anymore, that’s how you know it’s good poetry - when you feel a thousand things and cannot really exp ...more
Macarena
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had Emily Brontë's Complete Poems in my night table for almost a year. I probably will keep it there even now that i've finished it. I like the idea of reading a poem each night like a prayer.
G. Lawrence
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, stunning, stirring
Andy Hickman
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The Complete Poems” by Emily Brontë, Janet Gezari (Editor)

Fascinating poems by a fascinationg women who was fascinated by winter, death, solitude, love, nature and stars. *****

“STARS” (1846) by Emily Brontë

Ah! why, because the dazzling sun
Restored my earth to joy
Have you departed, every one,
And left a desert sky?

All through the night, your glorious eyes
Were gazing down in mine,
And with a full heart's thankful sighs
I blessed that watch divine!

I was at peace, and drank your beams
As the
✨Sumi's Books✨
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Her eloquent writing style is enjoyable to read. However I have found the vast majority of her poetry to be very sorrowful & most of it to be on the subject of death. That can be good or bad depending on the reader. ...more
Marta
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is beautiful, but I do not like it. Poetry is not for me.
Sandy Lender
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I will begin by saying Anne was the truest poet of the three "Bell" sisters, but Emily did a fine and haunting job of setting a scene with her verse. I enjoyed this book immensely. I recommend it to anyone sitting down to a chilly, grey afternoon with a cup of hot cocoa.

It's fabulous!

She YEARNED for home when she wasn't there...and begged it to hold her when she was. Emily Bronte was amazing.

We have to put our best guess for a date that we first read these books. I received it as a Christmas pre
Phil Syphe
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
The weather and the seasons feature heavily in this collection, which won't be surprising to anyone familiar with Emily's upbringing near the North Yorkshire moors.

I didn't realise just how much poetry Emily had produced until I read this collection. It's a pity she didn't write the equivalent in prose - I state this as a person who doesn't actually like poetry, but being a fan of the Brontës, I decided to read their poems around the times of each sister's birthday.

Compared to her siblings, I t
Brendan
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some of these were beauties. Quite dark. I'm sure I've read stuff which said that the Bronte sisters kept to themselves their whole lives and never got any. Reading these Emily comes across as a person with life experience as much as the rest of us.
E. Mary
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Carrie Riley
"No coward soul is mine, no trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere..."
william ellison
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ballad Mad

Moved by the recent BBC drama I resolved to explore the lesser known works of the B sisters. In Emily's case this meant the poems and after ploughing through the no doubt interesting textual introduction I immediately fell in love with the poetry itself and with the Emily it revealed. Typically balladic or common metre they hark back to old English folk songs and ballads as much as to those Lyrical. Moreover they work out many of the themes and images that found such perfect expression
Jess Milner
Ok, so of course this was good in terms of the poems. But i can't help but think it would have been better not to read the 'complete' poems all at once but to read them in seperate volumes. I got this from the library, otherwise i would have taken a long time to read this. Then i wouldn't have felt like i was reading hundreds of poems about: death, the fictional city of gondal (which we have no real context for, these read as random snippets more than anything) or the moors.

like i said, great wr
Maria Novella
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this collection of poems by Emily Brontë. A lot of them spoke to me on so many levels.
They are captivating, fluent to read.
My favorites are "Anticipation", "Hope", "Lines".

There are a few quotes I particularly loved:
"Hope soothes me in the griefs I know,
She lulls my pain for others' woe,
And makes me strong to undergo
What I am born to bear."

"Now trust a heart that trusts in you
And firmly say the world Adieu
Be sure wherever I am roam
My heart is with your heart at home."
Agnes L.
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-women
Finally slogged through it. The Brontë sisters were daughters of an Anglican manse and very melancholic and morose with it. Many people in their entourage died early deaths and they all suffered from tuberculosis, which ravaged the English villages and countryside in their day. Emily was particularly mournful and wrote very mournful poetry. Favourite words of hers: doom, gloom, drear and dreary - one of them on almost every page. Charlotte did her professional best for Emily’s writings but they ...more
Chloe Ann
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely like poetry but I decided to pick this up after having studied Charlotte Brontë's Jayne Eyre. A lot of Emily Brontë's poetry is quite similar. She uses the same imagery in her poems. The themes of her poetry is also very repetative, which made it difficult to read her work.
On top of that a lot of the poems in the collection are from a play she wrote with her two sisters.
Despite the issues I had with the collection there are some poems I really loved.
Christine Norvell
What an inspired range of skill. I was equally struck by her expression of faith, her sorrow for those who had died, her delight in creation, and more. My words cannot encompass the awe I experienced when reading Bronte's work. It took me two months to read because a few portions a day was all I could take in. That beautiful!
Natashaketel
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every single poem is otherworldly. Her phenomenal power to conjure up feelings of both misery and joy, capturing the exact nature of humanity, can’t be explained. I just love her words. Her work is so easy to recognise because literally no one else could replicate her voice- so strong and courageous.
Whistle
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How beautiful the earth is still to thee
How full of happiness
How little fraught with real ill
Or unreal fantoms of distress

Absolutely love Emily Bronte. Favorites include: Anticipation, How Clear She Shines, No Coward Soul is Mine.

Faith
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this because I adored Wuthering Heights and was saddened that that was Emily's only book. I was not disappointed with her poetry one bit, she's very talented and her poems are as good as her storytelling, they have that wonderfully mystical element to them.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Selected Poems
  • Come Close
  • Stancliffe's Hotel
  • Collected Poems and Translations
  • What You Should Know About Sharks: Shark Language, social behavior, human inter- actions, and life saving information
  • The Complete Picatrix: The Occult Classic of Astrological Magic Liber Atratus Edition
  • The Infographic Bible
Emily Jane Brontë was a British novelist and poet, now best remembered for her only novel Wuthering Heights, a classic of English literature. Emily was the second eldest of the three surviving Brontë sisters, being younger than Charlotte Brontë and older than Anne Brontë. She published under the masculine pen name Ellis Bell.

Emily was born in Thornton, near Bradford in Yorkshire to Patrick Brontë