Start by marking “The Case of the Reluctant Model (Perry Mason Mystery)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Reluctant Model (Perry Mason Mystery)

The Case of the Reluctant Model

(Perry Mason #66)

Any blonde and beautiful woman who models in the nude will find rivals for her affections, and Maxine Lindsay is no exception. One of her more persistant admirers is Collin M. Durant, a hustling artist with a profitable penchant for showing up masterpieces as fakes. Another is Otto Olney, the millionaire collector whose keen eye for figures runs to both the financial and f ...more
Published June 1990 by Ballantine Books (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Reluctant Model, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Reluctant Model

Start your review of The Case of the Reluctant Model (Perry Mason Mystery)
Evgeny
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing to remember about the modern art is that it is primarily art and only secondarily incomprehensible junk by entitled elitists.
Vladimir Boldyrev (Balderis), student comedy club, NSU.
Modern Art

The beginning is very complicated, so please be patient with my long speech as I try to describe what was going on. It does not help any that the book description for this edition has no clue about the book content. Anyhow an art dealer Leslie Rankin hated the guts of another art dealer Colin Durant. The
Bob
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense) may find the writing style here a bit dry. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by about 1953 are the best. This is one of the latest ones, written in 1962.

This story definitely does N
Evelyn
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This late Perry Mason mystery has a plot that is a variation of a familiar theme in the series, a damsel in distress who is the victim of a blackmailer due to an indiscretion and involved in a scam, which in this case attempts to victimize Perry Mason. It is better written than many of the books in the series from the 1950s and 1960s, and contains a number of interesting plot twists and turns which keep the reader guessing about the identity of the murderer although some of the characters are st ...more
Bailey Marissa
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, read-in-2k17
This mystery was crazy but easy to follow. It also touches on Perry's celebrity status in LA and how it affects his life and work. Della is goals, btw.

There are a lot of subtle Perry/Della scenes that are 10/10.

Recommended 13/14+ for language, violence, an affair, and mentions of nude models.
Mahasweta
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mi-tesoro
I have been a Perry Mason fan since school days. So, I can be quite biased while rating these books. I like the pace and the twists & turns in these books. You cannot figure out who the real killer is till the end, and most times it is someone who'd have never crossed your mind as a killer. This book maintains the same pace and twists. As always, Gardner entertains with great courtroom drama and Mason's shrewd tactics that leaves the DA Hamilton Burger worked up. This book might not be the best ...more
Robert A Keene
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maureen
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My brother gifted me this once stating it was an old fashioned good time. It was kind of fun, but the writing was pretty pedestrian and the crime story uninteresting. I also found most of the dialogue to be utterly unrealistic. Still, it's good to stretch my reading horizons occasionally so thanks lil brother.
Cheryl
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Perry, Paul and Della work together to solve a mystery of a forged painting and the murder of a con man art dealer. I didn't guess the real killer, only Perry could figure it out.
Ed
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#66 in the Perry Mason series. Quite a bit of this entry is concerned with art fraud and it's a while before the obvious bad guy is murdered. Perry pulls an unusual legal tactic by putting his client on the stand in a preliminary hearing - leading to fun byplay between Mason and the judge. There has been some romancing between Perry and Della in the past but now he announces he will escort her to her apartment and "I believe there is an almost universal custom of collecting a good-night kiss fro ...more
Rusty
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Love these oldies but goodies. Rarely can I determine out who committed the murder. Perhaps it's because the author was a criminal lawyer himself who wrote 146 books, 85 of which had Perry Mason as the protagonist. This one is no different. However, the story begins with an original painting that is proclaimed to be a copy. The case becomes more convoluted when the person making that statement is shot three times in the back in the apartment of a beautiful young woman named Maxine Lindsay. Miss ...more
False
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Maxine Lindsay, aspiring artist and model but naive, becomes embroiled in a law suit about whether a painting is a fake. She repeats the comments of Colin Durant about the painting. Durant is found shot in her shower, so she is charged. This was a re-read, by accident, and I didn't care for it anymore than I did the first time. I've started up again trying to finish the Perry Mason books, perhaps this year. I have to admit I liked Perry Mason in the 1920's best when Della was a flapper and Perry ...more
Mark
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
It was something that kept my interest until the end. With all of the names, though, it got to be a bit confusing. And the author didn't follow up with what happened to the model after the charges were dropped. It's very interesting, too, to see the way that women are "devalued" or stereotyped in this book. My, how things have changed. Still, I'm glad I read it.
Vincent Darlage
An excellent Perry Mason mystery. Some shocking developments, and an interesting who-done-it, but not quite as spectacular as a few others. I like the relationship Mason has with Tragg. I liked the plot twist of having Mason fall victim to a con game - and watching him fight to get out of being made out a fool was interesting. I last read this 22 years ago.
Doug Dams
Perry Mason gets involved in a slander case, counterfeit art work, and then a murder. A beautiful art student and model is accused and the chase is on as Perry Mason rushes to find the solution before his client is convicted. It's an okay story but not the best of the Perry Mason stories.
Huma
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perry-mason, e-book
Good book, Mason plays with high stakes, putting the defendant on stand in the preliminary.

We also catch a glimpse of Hamilton Burger, Mason's nemesis and the attorney general who wants to get him disbarred.
Sergey
Interesting mystery, but not as enjoyable.
Danny Reid
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perry-mason
Definitely a post-TV show entry with a lot more character interplay, but the ending is underwhelming and the 'beatnik' visit archaic. Lots of noticeable transcription errors in the Kindle version.
Richa
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is a little repetetive with regards to rigor mortis. It starts out quite simple, becoming complicated at the end. Things do connect... but.. well... I didn't enjoy it as much.
Unknown
Actually I have ths book in hardback. I've collected a couple dozen that I read from time to time. This not the best Mason novel, but is fairly good.I enjoy reading older mysteries.
Jim
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good one. Erle Stanley Gardner never disappoints.
Les Anderson
Mason pulls one of the biggest tricks on Hamilton Burger and gets away with it! Like so many Mason stories, it's basically only a stalling tactic and the murderer is revealed outside court.
Katie
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
It's easy to see why Gardner leads the genre in sales. Tightly crafted, snappy dialogue, lots of twists - and all in less than 200 pages.
Venkatesh Raja
Chinmay
Nov 16, 2016
Swastika Sharma
Feb 15, 2013

• Extraction (Pendergast, #12.5)
  • Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film
  • The Witch Herself (Witch Saga, #3)
  • Outbreak!: 50 Tales of Epidemics that Terrorized the World
  • The Strategy of Metrics & Key Performance Indicators: 2nd edition
  • The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History
  • Moby Dick (Graphic Novel)
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 1: In the Service of Angels
  • A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
  • SandRider (TodHunter Moon, #2)
  • A Dream Given Form: The Unofficial Guide to the Universe of Babylon 5
  • Paradise And Beyond: My Autobiography
  • The Money Man (The Consultants, #1)
  • Modigliani Scandal
  • Firefly: Legacy Edition Book Two
  • Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Dracula: The Graphic Novel

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye