Start by marking “High Rhulain (Redwall, #18)” as Want to Read:
High Rhulain (Redwall, #18)

High Rhulain

(Redwall #18)

THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

A thrilling Redwall adventure from beloved author Brian Jacques.

Tiria Wildlough, a young ottermaid touched by the paw of destiny, embarks on a journey to the mysterious Green Isle, where she joins a band of outlaw otters to rid the land of the villainous Wildcat chieftain Riggu Fellis and his catguard slave masters...
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published March 27th 2007 by Ace (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about High Rhulain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Rhulain

Start your review of High Rhulain (Redwall, #18)
N A
One of the more generic Redwall books. The characters were even less developed than normal; I think this can be blamed on the fact that there was action taking place in as many as five different locations simultaneously (Redwall books usually have only three at once), so there were fewer scenes than normal dedicated to each set of characters.

Tiria annoyed me greatly. She was never really a part of the main story because she was just a very young Abbeymaid with no experience. In most scenes, she
Josiah
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"When autumn's day grows old,
sad orchard leaves do fall.
Dawn breaks o'er silent gardens,
bereft of sweet birdcall.
Stark winter's dirge then wails,
until the earth appears,
white clad 'neath drifted dunes,
whilst trees bear crystal spears.
My chamber is a refuge here,
against the snowbound night,
a flickering cave of crimson gold,
made warm by firelight,
where images are conjured,
of friends I used to know.
I battled and I marched with them,
one dusty long-ago.
I see them now arise again,
in
Joseph Leskey
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any person
This book was highly enjoyable. It had a different plot from the other books (always nice) and the Long Patrol, so it was bound to be so.
X
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Redwallers
Another grand Redwall adventure with new characters and lands, and some unexpected surprises. Redwall books may often follow a certain story "formula" but they always surprise me in some way, and this one was no exception. Great story!
Qt
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
I think this is the best (and my favorite) Redwall book in quite a while! An epic plot, good characters, lots of action--and, of course, many beautiful descriptions of food.
Nobi Nobes
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It gets better every time!
Jeremy Michael Gallen
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The late Brian Jacques dedicated this entry of his Redwall series to his friend Alan Ingram, whom he terms "the guardian at Redwall's gate." A poem about autumn follows, with plenty of good poetry, as always, throughout the book, its main action opening on Green Isle, where the Warlord of the Green Isle Cats, Riggu Felis, makes his home, and has a pine marten aide named Atunra, not to mention scion Jeefra and Pitru. Meanwhile, back at Redwall Abbey, the young Lycian the mouse is Mother Abbess, ...more
Tim Man
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
High Rhulain
Author: Brian Jacques Pages: 341
High Rhulain is another book of the Redwall series, written by Brian Jacques. The setting is consisted of two places: Redwall Abbey and Green Isle. The protagonists are Tiria Wildlough, an ottermaid, and Cuthbert Frunk, a hare with many roles. The antagonist is Riggu Felis, a wildcat ruling on Green Isle.
Tiria Wildlough has peacefully live in Redwall Abbey with her friends for many seasons, but all that changes with the arrival of an osprey, captured
Nic
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a teenager, I read every Redwall book I could get and bought the new ones as they came out. I stopped fairly recently - after Lord Brocktree - but recently checked out the newest book, Eulalia, from a library. I was so disappointed by it that I hardly dared try any of the others, but I did want to determine whether an author I used to love had plummeted downhill recently or had just written one bad book. When I read the also-recent High Rhulain, I was happy to conclude the latter.

This is
August
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Sigh. Back in the day, the Redwall series was one of the reasons I started writing, particularly things with plot. I probably should have just let that sleeping dog slumber, especially since Jacques recently passed away, but in my quest to read all the books I own that I haven't yet, I had to pick up "High Rhulain." Wow. Character development? Nonexistent. Plot? Rushed and haphazard. Emotional content? Suffice to say that a few important characters get killed, and when they do, everyone takes ...more
Will Waller
Dec 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: series, fiction, fantasy
This series of books continues to be a bug a boo for me. They are predictable, they are boring, the character development is flat, and each book remains a testament to the ongoing financial grab for a writer committed to a series. What I mean to say is the author's persistence in writing a series that long should have been shuttered, proves that the author's financial needs outweigh the world's literary once, therefore you have a book that is right, and supremely boring. I really could read 3 to ...more
Kelsey Hanson
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
As always, this is a Redwall book so naturally I enjoyed it. Once again, I love how Jacques features characters at every stage of life and girls are in leadership or warrior roles as often as the guys are. That being said, this wasn't my favorite book in the series. the characters were a bit bland, usually there are a few that really stand out for me and I didn't really get it for this one. Still a good adventure and a fun read.
Sam
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourites. Tiria is a fallible character, Riggu and his family are villains that have some depth, and the supporting cast is strong.
Kacey
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really hate giving these books low ratings. I adored the Redwall series when I was younger and I still get a good feeling when I think about the books or some of the characters. I refuse to believe that the disconnect now is just because I'm older. I've read tons of books where the intended audience is in a younger demographic, but I still end up enjoying the story.

The problem for me in this book was that I didn't really care about the characters. There was nothing really distinct about our
Aasin Peña
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
When writing a review it is imperative to remember the demographic the book is aimed towards. With that in mind, Brian Jacques did not write for adults, and this was no exception. The book is an enjoyable read, and the few plot holes it had should be overlooked since most children would not even notice such things.

The book starts off enjoyable as we meet Tiria, Leatho, and a few other main characters alongside a bit of backstory. The book makes no attempt at portraying a gray area between good,
Catherine
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This story is classic Redwall. In this episode, wildcats have made slaves of a group of otters on the Green Isle. The spirit of Martin the Warrior visits a young ottermaid named Tiria. She I destined to free the otters and become their queen or High Rhulain.
Riggu Felis is the villain trying to keep control of his island against a renegade otter and his own son. He also has a vendetta against bird's thanks to a Hawk ripping off part of his face.
Back at Redwall, Tiria's friends try to help
Rose T.
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guys! This book was so good!
I cried. The deaths broke my heart and yet they were beautiful too.
Brave hearted warriors dying for their friends, for the innocent for the defenseless.
Tiria was an amazing strong female character and had such an amazing support group too.
The hares were priceless and perilous as always and the otters so self sacrificing as they fought for their freedom.
Brian Jacques never ceases to amaze me with his fascinating, beautiful stories of love, bravery, honor, valor,
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
After all of those wonderfully depressing books I read in the winter, I was quite ready for my Redwall fix. And there are still at least five Tales of Redwall that I haven't yet read (I believe there are 21 or 23 altogether).

This is one of the tales which branches out beyond the borders of Mossflower, even further than Salamandastron, the mountain of hares and badgers. The climax of this tale takes place on Green Isle, an island on the Western Sea to which a young Redwall ottermaid must sail
Matthew McAndrew
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one seemed similar to Pearls of Lutra to me, in that it was one of the rare occasions there was an otter protagonist I wasn't interested in. That said, it was still better than Pearls of Lutra, and I enjoyed the story overall.
M-girl
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finally finished! And it was so good! I love Tiria and her friends from the Abbey, and the birds are absolutely hilarious. All the characters are so well done that I couldn't help trying to read straight through. (I didn't though...) But anyway, it was very good, and I liked it a lot.
Margaret Hovestadt
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Jacques books! They are cute and funny and really evoke a sense of hope in a person. This one is one of my favorites. The main character is one of my favorites of his series.
Chad
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
HIGHLY ENJOYABLE! Didnt expect for this one to be so good. I expected it to be much more generic and I was absolutely surprised. ...more
Roo
A decent installment to the Redwall series.
SophiaB
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book showed true companionship and loyalty.
Rod Innis
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good book from one of my favorite authors of children's books
Taylor Schmaltz
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A brilliantly woven story full of action tragedy and excitement. One of my all time favorites. In my opinion this is the best book in the Redwall trilogy. I would definitely recommend this book.
Elizabeth
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
This was a good, if unnecessary, girl power installment of Redwall. Tiria doesnt do much fighting, but what she does is pretty impressive. Shes also one of the only main non-badger heroes to take out the main villain herself, albeit anticlimactically (but very poetically just).

I call the girl power of this book unnecessary because it really is. Jacques has had both female warriors and female protagonists in Redwall before, and has done them more memorably and better than this rendition. The
Kathryn
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
High Queen Rhulain is my favorite out of all of the Redwall series. It has such a good plot.
In a foresty place, a young otter and her friends live in Redwall Abbey. The young otter helps two visitors and discovers somethings about herself and the Abbey. She and her father and friend go out to find someone to help her cross the sea. Which is where she needs to go to . She gets someone to take her, but whats in store for her is quite a lot.
The characters in the book are great. Even though some
Bradley Cannon
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jessica Byle
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book, it hardly ever got boring. The only thing I find boring about it was the songs. I skimmed or skipped them. One thing that had me wondering was how Tiria was going to get her coronet because it was at the Redwall Abby while she was at Salamandastron, then at sea, then on Green Isle and she still didn't have it. I was surprised when Jacques had the goose fly non-stop across the ocean to get the coronet to Tiria. I like how Jacques has 3 or 4 scenes in the book and how he ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
High Rhulain 4 24 Dec 10, 2013 09:52PM
Montague/Leifheit...: Donahue- Book Review 1 3 May 07, 2013 04:34AM

• Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Return of the Temujai (Brotherband Chronicles, #8)
  • Fire Bringer
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
  • So Much to Tell You (So Much to Tell You, #1)
  • Accordion Crimes
  • Halo: Shadow of Intent
  • The Tournament at Gorlan (Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years, #1)
  • Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • The Fire Keeper (The Storm Runner #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • The Blazing Star (Warriors: Dawn of the Clans, #4)
  • A Forest Divided (Warriors: Dawn of the Clans, #5)
  • The First Battle (Warriors: Dawn of the Clans, #3)
  • The Silent Thaw (Warriors: The Broken Code, #2)
  • Ragweed
  • Iron Corpses (The Horus Heresy #Audio Drama)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St.

Redwall (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)