Start by marking “So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction” as Want to Read:
So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction

So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction

Queer culture meets fey folklore in the pages of So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction, an enchanting anthology of fantastical tales for lovers of Lord of the Rings and all things Tolkien. But these faery stories have a magical twist--every one has an LGBT theme The genre's top writers spin stories of coming out and growing old, of identity and loss, and of hardship, with a focus on ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Haworth Press (first published September 19th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about So Fey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Fey

Start your review of So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction
Just_ann_now
I really enjoyed this collection. Some of the stories were quite original while others were contemporary takes on the Thomas the Rhymer/Tam Lin legends. Holly Black's "Coat of Stars" was a standout - how have I never read any Holly Black? Laurie Marks' "How the Ocean Loved Margie" was creepy and disturbing in a very good way, while Christopher Barzak's "Isis in Darkness" had a deliciously Bordertown feel to it. (And I see that he'll have a story in the upcoming Welcome to Bordertown book - hooray!)

The thing I love
Susan
Nov 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Susan by: Sarah Rees Brennan
Shelves: fairies, fantasy
What I learned from this book: editing as a profession is truly going straight to hell. reek=/=wreak. You absolutely DO NOT "reek havoc". And I wish that were the only mistake the editor didn't catch.

Anyway, the stories were also mostly pointless or dull or predictable, given the nature of the anthology. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to run into any good short stories this year.
Fey
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of lgbt themed fantasy and fairytales
This is a fantastic collection of short stories, a little bit of a mix of mostly fantasy and urban fantasy and fairytale. And each of them contain a gay or lesbian relationship, but all are done to varying degrees. No two stories are similar.

There were so many really good stories packed into this anthology, and it would be really hard to comment on them all, so I shall restrain myself to mentioning just a few favourites.

"The Coat of Stars" by Holly Black
Rafael is a costume designer for/>"The
Elfscribe
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fic
Excellent collection of short stories all dealing with gay or lesbian characters and the realm of fairy. This is a particularly apt combination, not only for the play on the term "fairy" but because of the association of gay as being outside boundaries, much as the faery world is.

The approaches to the topic were creative and varied, mostly dealing with modern day humans encountering strangeness in various ways. I was particularly delighted by The Wand's Boy by Richard Bowes about a mortal world
Sana Burton
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not perfect, but definitely good.

I was wavering between 3 and 4 stars but ended up going high based on my love for faeries, queerness, and short stories. On a technical level, the formatting of this book on Kindle was kind of weird, likely due to its age, since I don't think it was originally intended as an ebook. There was a lot of variation in the stories included, in tone, setting, and interpretation of what "faerie" means, and a nice balance between cute queer romance and fae mystery and
Catherine
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Really, really enjoyed this anthology (and not just because I'm a contributor to it :-). There are some great stories to be found in here, by an impressive list of writers including Holly Black, Melissa Scott, Lynne Jamneck, Christopher Barzak and others
A new edition will be released in a couple of months from Prime Books.
Stephanie
There's a huge variety in quality among these stories. I recommend the stories by Ruby deBrazier, Sarah Monette, Holly Black, Christopher Barzak, Delia Sherman, Sean Meriwether, Melissa Scott, and Joshua Lewis.
Christine Christine
It's been a long time...I shouldn't have left you...

I got this from the library back in...oh wow...2008/2009 and I bought it on Kindle last month.

I needed the time. There was a lot of pain, a lot of hate (not against the LGBTQ community but some of the adult-themes in this book)

If anyone's going to Faeriecon in 2020 will you let me know? I'd love to go!

Rick
Steve Berman is quickly becoming my go-to-guy for anthologies of short fiction. This collection focuses on faerie fiction and runs between pure escapist fairy-tale to romantic fantasy to romance to urban-magic to dark fantasy to horror. Some of the selections are better than others, of course, but they are all excellent contributions of contemporary fiction.
Alice Anne

I especially liked the stories by Melissa Scott and Joshua Lewis
Brandon
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, own
Collected short stories that weave elements of homosexuality into tales of enchantment. There is little to shock within these pages, the inclusion of sexuality is in many cases extraneous.
Shona
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy, fantasy, ff, lesbian, mm
Stand out stories:
Ever so much more than twenty
Isis in darkness
The coat of stars
The price of glamour
Charming, a tale of true love
Saro
There are more duds than diamonds to be found in this anthology. I didn't even have expectations and came out disappointed.

One of the dishonorable mentions would be "Charming, a Tale of True Love" by Ruby de Brazier and Cassandra Clare. First of all, wow. What an interesting and unique title. Sure leaves you wondering what's in store.

Of course it turns out that that lazy and moronic title is quite fitting. The story is predictable start to finish, and embarrassingly generic. Actually, in
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
SlashReaders: So in this case the back of the book really doesn't tell you much about what is inside it. However, I suppose it can't be easy to write the back of a book for an anthology of short stories. I don't normally enjoy reading short stories, mostly I've decided: because, they are short. I prefer something longer, something I can sink into for long periods of time. A world and characters let my mind revolve around for days or weeks in some cases.

In this case, I found that my mind began to
amymarie
May 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Tony J
A friend lent me this book, with a caution that not *all* of the stories were that good... I'd pass that same caution on to any potential readers, as well. While there are some real gems (A Bird of Ice, Charming..., Three Letters from the Queen of Elfland, The Coat of Stars, How the Ocean Loved Margie, and Ever So Much More Than Twenty), some of the others fall short of being exceptional.

With that said, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well some authors interwove the 'gay' piece
Cassie
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A lot of fairy/fae fiction tends to be very mysterious. A lot of LGBT fiction tends to be very tragic. This anthology has someone combined them both. At first, I couldn't figure out if this really, really annoyed me, or if it was actually a good thing because I was curled into a ball, sobbing. I still haven't quite figured it out.

However, this anthology has a really large range of stories; there's got to be something for everyone. There's stories set in the modern world, in the fairy
Crystal Wilson
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I think this is an interesting collection of stories and I really enjoy the queer take on the fantastical. I enjoyed ome of these stories very much and some of them left something to be desired. Overall though, I really did like the collection.
Monika
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's difficult rating a collection of stories by so many authors. I would have awarded 'The Kings of Oak and Holly' (Kenneth D. Woods) and 'Ever so much more than Twenty' (Joshua Lewis) ***** and 'The Coat of Stars' (Holly Black) deserves ****.
Nicole
Aug 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Some awesomeness, some disappointments. See my full review at http://booksaremyhomeboys.blogspot.com/
I mostly just read the stories about women :-) and they were moderately enjoyable.
Oct 15, 2012 added it
Shelves: faerie

I mostly only read the stories about women, but I enjoyed them alright!
Oreotalpa
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, queerlit50
Very, very mixed bag--stories range from transcendent to so terrible it's amazing they made it into print.
Deidre
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies, fantasy
Loved Christoper Barzak's story and I'd love to read more like that, just enough mystery to leave you wondering
Caty
Dec 26, 2013
Warren Rochelle
Oct 19, 2009
nikki
May 08, 2013
Luisa Prieto
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Starberry Madness
rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Welcome to Night Vale (Welcome to Night Vale, #1)
  • Pebble in the Sky (Galactic Empire #3)
  • Mister Monkey
  • The Swallows
  • The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold
  • Love Letters of Great Men
  • Water Logic (Elemental Logic, #3)
  • Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy
  • The Watcher's Mask
  • Dancing Jack
Some tidbits about me...

I turned down a scholarship to Miskatonic University because I heard of the high rate of incidents against the student population.

I briefly worked for Omni Consumer Products in their Marketing Department. Great benefits, nice cafeteria, sadly too prone to executive whim.

Last year I stayed at the noted Mauna Pele resort in Hawaii. The acco
“She smiled too. 'Have you ever had a boyfriend this bad?'
Her words hung in the air a moment. It was the first time any of them had ventured a guess. 'Worse,' he said, 'and girlfriends too. I have terrible taste.'
Mary sat down next to him on the bench. 'Girlfriends too?'
He nodded and lifted a glass of iced tea to his mouth. 'When you don't know what you're searching for,' he said, 'you have to look absolutely everywhere.”
1 likes