Start by marking “After” as Want to Read:
After

After

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  8,721 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews
Elizabeth ha appena festeggiato i diciotto anni con i suoi migliori amici sullo yacht di famiglia. Durante la notte qualcosa la sveglia. Colpi sullo scafo, da fuori, a pelo d'acqua. Liz esce a guardare... In mare c'è un cadavere. Il suo. Mentre si osserva galleggiare con un senso di straniamento e vertigine, la raggiunge Alex, un suo compagno di scuola morto un anno prima. ...more
Hardcover, Chrysalide, 416 pages
Published October 11th 2011 by Mondadori (first published August 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about After, please sign up.
Brandi Nyborg Yes, they both deal with the aftermath of a teenager dying. The main difference is Liz, in Between, is a ghost trying to figure out how she died, and…moreYes, they both deal with the aftermath of a teenager dying. The main difference is Liz, in Between, is a ghost trying to figure out how she died, and Sam, in Before I Fall, is reliving a single day over and over again, with the chance to change things. They are both AMAZING books! They're the type of book you think about for a long time afterwards!(less)

·  8,721 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews

karen
so, when i am cleaning house, i like to have some sort of police procedural on in the background. i don't know why, i just find them soothing - the shape of the narrative tends to be consistent, and they usually have enough action sequences for me to pace my laundry-folding and book restacking in a productive way.

there is a definite preference-hierarchy to the shows i will watch. law and order (excluding criminal intent) is the preferred choice. ncis and criminal minds are lower, and as i have o
Carolina
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's really hard for me to be swept away by a book in the same way I used to be swept away as a kid. Maybe it's a writer thing. I don't know. I mean, I have this ridiculous internal editor that never shuts up. But something happened as I was reading BETWEEN. I noticed it had a release date of August 2, so I picked it up, and there I stood reading this afternoon, beside my kitchen island, my Coke Zero forgotten and my peanut butter sandwich staling, and before I knew it, my legs were cramping and ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
Great book! I spent a good part of my day immersed in this story. It reminded me of Remember Me by Christopher Pike, which was my favorite when I was a tween. I figured out the "mysteries" pretty early on, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book. It's fairly long (450 pages) but a quick read. Definitely worth picking up!
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
Liz was perfect in life. She had the looks, the friends and the money to buy popularity and keep it. Beneath the surface though, Liz was more than just a pretty face. Born to a mother plagued by anorexia, Liz learned from an early age that eating equals control, and when her life spun out of control, she controlled her eating habits. On the morning of her 18th birthday, Liz wakes up to see her body floating in the water, but she has no recollection of what's happened. As she wanders the "between ...more
Jessica Saylor
Wow. Was this an amazing book. When I read the synopsis I thought it was going to be a typical YA book, but I was completely floored by how amazing this book was. It has everything a YA book needs and more: mystery, romance, strong characters, a hole-less plot and meaning.

My only complaint of this book was there was one part where it was a little boring. Right after you get over the shock of what is happening and right before the mystery starts unraveling. And even then, it isn't THAT boring it
Pinky
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am so confused with what I felt with this book, I mean, sometimes I think it is really interesting, but other times I hate it so much. I was going through this weird, repetitive cycle where I kept changing my mind on how I felt. But I know one thing for sure and that is the fact that this book did not help my HUGE READING SLUMP! As you all know, or whoever reads my reviews know, I've been on a huge reading slump. And I thought that this book would help me get outta that reading slump. But let ...more
Rola
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
first reviewed on: www.xoreads.blogspot.ca

Oh no not again. WHY does this always happen to me? i swear the bookstore is going to have a fit if i return another novel. Im sorry but this novel was not good at all. the concept is good, but i just didnt like the story. i spent WAY to much time skim reading & asking my self when i'd finally finish. the only reason i kept reading was because i kinda wanted to know what happened. But this was a bad mystery unfortunatly.

First of the charac
Fred
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fred by: Lauren
Shelves: favorites
This is an intense book that elicits deep emotions of the heartache kind. It's a story of redemption in the afterlife of a seemingly superficial rich girl, Liz, who wakes up during the night of her 18th birthday to find her now lifeless body floating in the water near her family's boat, where she'd been partying with her friends and step-sister. She's not alone in this weird between state, though, there's another dead boy from her school, Alex, who seems to be some sort of guide for her, althoug ...more
Liz Ford
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Between is a riveting novel about a young girl who wakes up to find her own body dead in the water beside her family's boat. No, she is not alive, but she can still see and go everywhere she would be able to go while she was alive. With her in this mysterious journey is a boy who passed away in her town a year earlier named Alex. Elizabeth and Alex traveled with two different crowds in high school, so before this, they never spoke. Neither of them enjoyed the other's presence towards the beginni ...more
Rebekah
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Depressing, well written, liked the mystery. Hated the book. creepy and sad at the same time.
Janie Johnson
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was a very good read. I did not know what to expect at first, I just knew it sounded interesting, and I had not really read anything like it. I loved the plot of the story. Ok so this girl died, but she is still talking, what is going on? It did not take long to figure it out though. The story flowed really well and I was completely engaged to the tale.

I did enjoy the mystery that surrounded this story. There were a few times where I thought I nailed it, and was wrong. I did guess one part
Lauren
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Ever since reading Where the Truth Lies, Jessica's second novel, last year, I've been dying to read another book by her, so when Between landed on my radar I knew I had to read it. Not only because I was pretty sure I would love it, but also because it had been compared to two of my favorite YA books, Before I Fall and If I Stay. Luckily, it was pretty darn SPECTACULAR to say the least.

It all starts with a jarring noise. However, when Elizabeth (also known as Liz) goes to find out just what's ma
Olivia
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the main reasons I enjoyed this book was because it wasn't all that it seemed.

A few chapters in, and I had resigned myself to reading another 300+ pages about a vapid, boring dead girl. At one point in the story, it seems like she's genuinely more concerned about the her dead body's state of appearance than how she died or why she's still on earth. Here are just a couple of examples.

He leans forward to peer at me in the water. "You're white. I mean corpse white."
I look at my bare arms. S
Red_Queen_Lover
Vinola
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christy And Danielle
On the cover of the book, Gail Giles says "A love story, and a cautionary tale that gallops from its gripping beginning to its crackling conclusion."

I completely agree with Mrs. Giles! Between is a wonderful story. It is different from what I am used to reading but that isn't to say it isn't as good. I simply LOVED the book.

Liz is trying to figure out what happened to her the night that she died. Everyone seems to think it was an accident, that she fell into the water.

Then she sees Alex, they
Melissa
I really wanted to love this as the beginning was so incredible. I did really enjoy it but given how long it is I really think it could have done with an ending that felt less rushed. I also figured out the plot twists really early on and I hate that as I find it really distracting to feel like you know what's coming! Still, recommended to those who like a supernatural mystery with a teen friendly edge.
(Source: I received a copy of this book as a gift – Thanks Abbie!)
18-year-old Liz wakes in the middle of the night after her 18th birthday party, only to discover her own dead body – yep, she’s dead.
The death is written off as an accident, but Liz can’t remember what happened, and she can’t believe that she would still be hanging around if her death really was an accident.
Together with Alex, another teen ghost who also died in the same town earlier that year, Liz tries to unravel the mystery of
Fiona
After reading Between , it took me awhile to figure out just what I thought of this story and these characters. While for me, it wasn’t a 5 star book, it was a notable read. You get a clear visual of the characters from beginning to end and a front row seat as you watch the mystery unfold before them.

While I loved the writing and the emotion, there were parts of the story were I felt such a lull while reading. I think this is one of the reasons why it took me this long to finally write the revi
Laura Pauling
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes I judge a book by its cover. I also love ghost stories. So when I saw the cover, I knew I'd love it. And I did. Elizabeth wakes up to find her dead body floating in the water and has to solve her own murder because she can't remember much of what happened. A slow unravel, page turning story. This main character is similar to the one in Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Even though the Elizabeth is somewhat shallow and bitchy we learn why, we see her change, and we have empathy.

Definitely worth
DayDreamer
Very boring. I did finish the book, but from the middle onwards I skimmed.

Alex is extremely annoying. He thinks he's God. Always telling Liz off. Making out as if he's never done anything bad in his life.

At first, Liz is just a popular bitch. She's not a bad person, yet Alex treats her as if she's the worst person alive. Towards the end, it's clear that she is a bad person, far beyond the social ranking of high school. Not because she picked on people, or never stopped evident bullying, or sai
Jade
Elizabeth Valchar (aka Liz) has a great life, she beautiful, rich, has a great caring boyfriend, popular, close friends and her best friend became her stepsister. Celebrating her 18th birthday on the yacht (Elizabeth) with her closest friends, what could go wrong?
description

But was Liz’s life as perfect as it seems,or is there more than meets the eye?

Just one fall ends it all for Liz.
Liz founds her drowned body thumping against the yacht, doesn’t even want to believe it's true, until Alex Berg suddenl
Tessa
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending, I love it. Great story that gave me al the feels
Krystle
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long, long time to warm up to this book but when I finally did, wow, it took me for a wild ride.

So, Elizabeth, I dunno ‘bout you but you sure as heck ain’t gonna be one of my buddies. You are selfish, vain, obnoxious, self-centered, and always try to run away from the harsh realities currently facing you making you stuck in a perpetual state of denial. Woman, you need to get a grip. Being rich certainly hasn’t helped you either. She’s the reason I glared or made faces at the book be
Eilonwy
In the middle of the night on Elizabeth Valchar's eighteenth birthday, she is awakened by a strange thumping sound. When she finds the source of the sound, she realizes that nothing will ever be the same again. But how did things GET to this point? Through a mix of the present and the past, she and the reader solve two mysteries and try to find a sense of closure.
I'm not sure what to say about this book. It was fast-paced and gripping; I barely put it down until I finished it. But ... despite a
Aishwarya Rao
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't written a review in what seems like forever, so I may be little rusty.
Let me start off by saying that I having once been a book worm, I haven't so much as touched a book in over a year. So I think Im in a suitable position to say that Im absolutely glad to have started off once more with Between.
Jessica Warman is becoming one of my favorite authors of all time. Her books are mysterious and haunting. They leave you feeling tingly and confused but at the same time satisfied.
Between wa
Kathy
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Thanks to teenreads.com I received a very early sneak peek copy of Jessica Warman's upcoming book Between.

In return I had to fill out a questionnaire with my reaction to the book. I'm not sure if there will be changes made to the book prior to its release later this year. If there are I'm sure they will be minor.

Since I don't want to give out any spoilers I'm just going to say this book is well written and drew me into the story from the first chapter. There is some content that would make me h
Angelc
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely disturbing, but it's also one of the only mysteries that has held my attention up the very end.

I wanted to read this story way past my bedtime, it was such a page-turner. It really wasn't until there were only 100 pages left that realization started to hit and I was able to put most of the pieces together.

Sometimes the drug use got a little old. The book had a wishy-washy stance on whether drugs are bad or just something the cool kids do. It was was also hard to read abo
Abbie
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Between" started out great, and the last fourth of the book was really good. Unfortunately, the middle bit did drag a bit, and felt longer than what it was.
That didn't harm the overall enjoyment of the book that much though.

I really liked how much Liz changed, while trying to solve the mystery.
In the flashbacks, she wasn't a nice person at all. She was bitchy and very selfish.
Though, in the end, it all changed. She started to realize that her actions could have consequences, and popularity wa
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
I gave this book 4.5 stars. I was debating between that and 5 stars...but I am a firm believer that if I don't immediately think it deserves 5 stars, then it doesn't. Although it was very very close.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I am REALLY looking forward to reading more of Jessica's books! :)
I recommend this book to lovers of Lauren Oliver...Jessica Warman's style of writing is very similar to Oliver's. (which I must say is fantastic)

I will be posting a more in-depth review on my youtube

• Pearl
  • Small Town Sinners
  • 7 Souls
  • My Beating Teenage Heart
  • The Implosion of Aggie Winchester
Jessica Warman is the author of Breathless, which received three starred reviews and was an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, and Where the Truth Lies. The idea for Between came from an incident in her childhood, when a local boy went missing after a party on a yacht (he was eventually found, alive).
“I realise now that I wanted to disappear. To get so lost that nobody ever found me. To go so far away that I'd never be able to make my way home again. But I have no idea why.” 236 likes
“A person’s character, I realize, is never black-and-white. There is so much gray.” 44 likes