Start by marking “True Colors (Elder Races, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
True Colors (Elder Races, #3.5)

True Colors (Elder Races #3.5)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  5,438 Ratings  ·  330 Reviews
Meeting your soulmate? Great. Preventing your possible murder? Even better.

Alice Clark, a Wyr and schoolteacher, has had two friends murdered in as many days, and she's just found the body of a third. She arrives at the scene only minutes before Gideon Riehl, a wolf Wyr and current detective in the Wyr Division of Violent Crime—and, as Alice oh-so-inconveniently recognizes
Published December 13th 2011 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about True Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Colors

Sophia Triad
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gideon and Alice

The surprise and the funny part of the book is the revelation of what kind of shifter/wyr Alison is. I believe the title of the book contains a few spoilers about the big secret.

Alice is a schoolteacher who has seen two of her friends being murdered. Gideon, a wolf, is the detective who goes to investigate the murders. And apparently he is also Alice's mate.
Alice hides from him at first, but then she accepts his help because obviously she can be the next victim.

Alice and Gideo
Katie Michaels
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Elder Races has quickly become one of my auto-read paranormal romance series. And here, Thea Harrison proves that she can rock my world, even with a scant 70 pages of a novella.

This story focuses on a wolf-shifter named Gideon. He's a detective who investigates Wyr-related crimes. And now he is on the hunt for a serial killer. It's at a crime scene that he first crosses paths with Alice. She was friends with the latest victim. At first, he thinks to just question her as a witness, but as soo
Zeek
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: shifters, pnr
3.5 stars. I didnt think this was as bad as everyone is saying. It's short (novella. actually shorter than a novella really), and that always takes it down a notch for me, but I enjoyed the pairing in this story.

From the Amazon Blurb:

Alice Clark, a Wyr and schoolteacher, has had two friends murdered in as many days, and she’s just found the body of a third. She arrives at the scene only minutes before Gideon Riehl, a wolf Wyr and current detective in the Wyr Division of Violent Crime—and, as Ali
Stacey
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, loved it!! To me a good short-story leaves you satisfied with the journey at the end. A great short-story leaves you wanting more, wishing it hadn't ended and that it had a been a full length novel. This was a great short-story!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Gideon and Alice and hope see them take part in future Elder Races books.
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
This was a pretty sweet read.

Both characters were likable, there is really no angst, and it's insta-love. I wish it had been a bit longer though as I felt the murder mystery sort of wrapped up rather lackluster, and without a lot of explanation.

Overall I enjoyed it though!
Stacie
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very nice short story addition to the series. I do love myself a wolf! Happy reading.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This is the first Elder Races novella I read. All the novellas are set in the same world as the main series but their stories are not really key to the overall story arc. They revolve around a set of Tarot cards, imbued with old Power, that find their way to different people and allow them to meet their partner or mate.

In True Colors, a psycho is killing a certain type of Wyr shifter and one of the detectives on the case, Gideon, meets Haley, his mate in the course of the investi
Sana Zameer
Wow! I fell in love with Gideon and Alice. I wanted more. Hopefully we will meet them in other Elder Races books too.
Laura the Highland Hussy
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it

You know what's really cool about this story? The heroine is a rainbow chameleon. It seems that most shifter paranormals have predators only-wolves, dragons, big cats, etc. Sometimes it's neat to have a bit more diversity.

I loved the hero, but I've noticed Ms. Harrison has a tendency of writing great heroes.

The heroine is sweet and shy, and in a whole lot of danger without even realizing it. Her best friend is murdered and Alice finds the body. A wyr cop
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Alice walks in to her best friend's apartment to find her brutally murdered and then is stalked by someone who she thinks may be the murderer. Instead it's Gideon who is a member of the WDVC (Wyr Division of Violent Crimes) and he is investigating the murders.

I really enjoyed the first part when Alice was running away from Gideon. It was pretty funny! I'm not sure how I feel about the type of Wyr she is but it definitely is interesting. Gideon is very sweet and I loved how he took care of Alice
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
True Colors is #3.5 in the Elder Races series.

I’ve previously read True Colors when it first came out on 2011. It has been republished with a new cover, but the content is still the same.

I really like the Elder Races series and anything that is published I devour with great relish.

Ms. Harrsion has created a fun and unique world. With a verity of supernaturals. This novel is short, to the point, and gives you just a taste of what she has created. Their’s danger, romance, and passion. Both char
Cheesecake
Gideon Riehl and Alice. He's a wolf and a cop, but he used to be an elite soldier. A big scary looking man with short white blond hair. Alice is an elementary school teacher whose friends are dying one by one.
When she first meets Gideon she thinks he is the killer... and her mate.
It's a great short read/listen. I listened and the reader was excellent. There isn't any push and pull cr*p between the MCs. Just getting to know each other during terrible circumstances.
The mystery was really easy to
Lulu
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable novella in Thea Harrison's Elder Races series. I love visiting Harrison's alternate world with shape-shifting animals (the wyr), dark and light fae, vampires and other creatures set in present day.

Gideon Riehl, a wolf wyr, has retired from Wyr Lord Dragos Cuelebre's army where he was the alpha captain of Dragos' dogs of war. He is in the prime of life (at around 100 years old) and could have stayed decades longer in service but feels adrift, with a need for something new. He ta
Patricia
So, this one I'm going to keep it on a short leash ....

It is a novella, and in my eyes it's way too short and obvious.
I gave it a 4 stars because I enjoy very much the writing style of M. Harrison and above all, I was not disappointed.

In this story we find Alice Clark, a school teacher, Wyr kind, that after visiting a friend, is faced with her murder by a serial killer and everything points out that she's next on his list.
At the crime scene she has a surprise that frightens her in the beginning
Kelly
02/09/15 reread: I honestly adore the glimpses of *other* Wyr we get with these novellas. Gideon and Alice were smokin' and the story is riveting.

2012:
Can Thea Harrison write smokin' hot men or what? I mean, wow. Just... wow. I love the insta-mate attraction that both parties feel and I love how Riehl is driven to comfort Alice when she's so obviously distressed and heartbroken by the things that she's seen. What can I say, folks? Strong men brought to their knees by their ladies are my fiction
Melindeeloo
Stumbling on to a murder scene, Alice is going to need more than her Wyr talent for hiding in plain sight to escape a serial killer who has targeted her clan in the past and is now picking off her friends. Arriving too late to save the killer's latest victim, Detective Gideon Riehl of the Wyr Division of Violent Crime is determined to end the killer's spree, and his reasons become even more personal when he tracks down the witness he scented at the scene, and finds himself drawn to the shy and g ...more
AH
True Colors is a short novella in Thea Harrison’s Elder Races series. What’s nice about this story is that you really don’t need to read the other Elder Races books to get up to speed. This story can stand on its own. It gives the reader a taste of this author’s world and her writing.

True Colors focuses on the wyr pair of Alice Clark and police detective Gideon Riehl. As in the other books in the series, the wyr males are large, muscular, and very good looking alpha males. Thea Harrison wasn’t k
Melanie
Yet again, Thea Harrison has wowed me with her elegant writing style. While this novella is on the short side, it's definitely sweet and I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of "mates-at-first-sight".

To date in the amazing 'Elder Races' series, we've been treated to stories involving those powerful immortal alpha Wyrs, and while it's been highly entertaining reading how those often stoic individuals succumb to love and matehood it was nice for a change to get a glimpse into the world of more "normal"
Erika
4.5 stars!!

Really great novella!

The suspense plot was interesting. The two main characters, Gideon and Alice, were super likable. The romance was sweet and sexy and developed just right.

Sexual Background of hero and heroine: None given about Gideon. He doesn't think about or talk about having been with OW. Emily said she had two boyfriends/lovers over the years. Gideon and Emily were mates so their connection was stronger and more intense than either had felt before.
Keri
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a really good quick read. What I love about Thea's writing, is you never know what she is going to bring together as far as pairings. I have to say this was pretty wacky, but it works in her world. All this really did is wet my appetite for the next full length one in the series.
Lady Heather
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elder Races fans, paranormal romance
First read: July 22, 2012

This was a very good short story in addition to the "Elder Races" series!
I really enjoyed Gideon and Alice's story!

Second read: August 3, 2013
cute short story!
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
Sweet short story!
Magda
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this short more than Serpent's Kiss.
All of the tarot explanations were skimmed, TMI.
ETA: Nobody says "Open a can of whoop ass" anymore.
Leo C.
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: desafio-2018
Estos relatos se me hacen demasiado cortos. ¡Quiero más! He leído todos los libros de la saga y no recuerdo que Alice y Gideon hayan salido. Espero que hagan una aparición por breve que sea en algunos de los siguientes.
Mareli
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but soooooo good! I feel sad because it was too short. Both Alice and Gideon were wonderful characters and I would have liked more story of them!

Layla
*this was a buddy-read with Lady Jaye. You can read her thoughts here *

My rating: 2/5 stars
First line: “Don’t move.”
Favourite quote:“There are horrors that exist in the night, horrors that only children and demons can see. There are horrors that exist in the mind as well, that only the individual can bear witness to.”
Song of choice: Landscape by Florence and the Machine

I don’t know how I manage it but I always seem to go back to this series when it comes to the most reviews. This will be my thir
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Fun little story from The Elder Races world. For those of us that can’t get enough of those adorable Wyrs.

Opening Sentence: Don’t move.

The Review:

True Colors is more of a short story than book. True Colors lands between Serpent’s Kiss and Oracle’s Moon in The Elder Races series timeline. It has nothing to do with any main characters up to this point; for which I am grateful. So, sit back and relax, this one is all for fun!

The story begins wi
Marie Ealing
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
True Colors is a Novella within Thea Harrison’s Elders Series, it comes after Serpent’s Kiss. I don’t know why, but I was really excited about reading this one. Don’t get me wrong, the series is still good and I’m looking forward for what is yet to come, but for me the series had lost some of its initial charm. That said, I’m happy to tell you that True Colors lived up to my expectations. In my opinion it was almost as good as Dragon Bound and a great come back for the series.

If you read the blu
  • Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound, #3.5)
  • A Tale of Two Dragons (Dragon Kin, #0.2)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • Wild Invitation (Psy-Changeling, #0.5, 4.5, 9.5, 10.5)
  • Howl For It (Pride, #0.5)
  • Outfoxed (Cougar Falls, #4)
  • His Darkest Salvation (Jaguar Warriors, #3)
  • Chosen by Fate (Para-Ops, #2)
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
I write paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and other stuff. I taught myself to read when I was four. That was around the time I tried to ride my tricycle to work. I wasn't sure where work was, but I knew it had to be interesting if people went there every day. Now I combine my love of books with work, and I don't have to ride my tricycle to get there. My Elder Races series began May, 2011. You can ...more
More about Thea Harrison

Elder Races (9 books)
  • Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1)
  • Storm's Heart (Elder Races, #2)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Elder Races, #3)
  • Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4)
  • Lord's Fall (Elder Races, #5)
  • Kinked (Elder Races, #6)
  • Night's Honor (Elder Races, #7)
  • Midnight's Kiss (Elder Races, #8)
  • Shadow's End (Elder Races, #9)
“There were two kinds of storms, Alice thought. One was a friendly kind that you could enjoy watching out the window with a cup of tea. It crashed around in the sky with theatricality but no real malice.
This storm was the other, the killing kind. There are horrors that exist in the night, the bitter wind said, horrors that only children and demons can see. There are horrors that exist in the mind as well, that only the individual can bear witness to. The winter wind sang of things that the mind did not quite remember but that fear never forgot, filled as people are with the haunts and tragedies that make up the shadows of their lives. We can’t endure them, the wind whispered, for when the light and warmth are truly taken we are left shivering naked in the dark. Then we hear a nearby husky chuckle that tells us we are prey.”
2 likes