Start by marking “Cloak” as Want to Read:
Cloak

Cloak

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  711 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Thirteen-year-old bubble boy Will Tuttle lives a boring, friendless life trapped in a sterile Brooklyn apartment, suffering from mysterious allergies no doctor can explain. Fed up with his pointless existence he breaks free of the sterile bubble to explore New York City, not expecting to return alive. Along the way, Will discovers that his countless allergies have a single ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by WiDo Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cloak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloak

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Greenest Books Ever
1,711 books — 520 voters
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
533 books — 467 voters

More lists with this book...

James Gough
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well, what did you expect? Of course I rated it well. But seriously, read it, enjoy it and have fun with it.
Metaphorosis
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-rev, reviewed

reviews.metaphorosis.com

2 stars

A teen boy isolated by severe allergies begins to suffer from hallucinations - or so he thinks, before suddenly being plunged into the complex world of half-human, half-animal 'enchants'.

Cloak starts off well. The writing is reasonably strong, there's an interesting opening chapter, and a touch of humor. I like the cover and the interior art, too. It's unfortunate that the story fairly quickly goes slightly off the rails.

The book is intended as YA. and it hits tha
Jessie
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. It's got everything you need in a great book - and then some! From the concept of enchants to the intercultural learning that goes on; from diversity to travel - Gough has clearly layered this story with thought and care.

The story? It keeps you interested, rooting for Will Tuttle and half wanting to read fast, to get to the next page; half wanting to read more slowly, to better soak in the play of words and the new world Gough has drawn for us. I loved the possibi
DoodlePanda
This start of this book was really well written, promising a great story. Unfortunately it went a little downhill as the book progressed, but it was still an enjoyable read.

My main problems was some far fetched logics. I don't quite understand how the enchants actually can exist/function, though that might just be me missing the point.

I also felt that the further I got into the story, the more enchants were "listed" as if to prove that enchants could come as any animal, which got a bit tedious.
Angela
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to read this book, and I'm glad I did. I gave it 5 stars because it did what I love about my favorite books, it pulled me in on a great journey and I didn't want to put it down from the beginning. The characters and story line were creative and so unique. It was a fresh idea, and I loved it. I hope that the characters can come to life again in another book!! Congrats James Gough, well done!
Tanya
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
WRITING STYLE: 3.5
PLOT: 4
PROTAGONIST: 4
CAPTURED MY INTEREST: 3
ESCAPE FACTOR: 3
OVERALL: 3.5

Really enjoyable! On the younger side of YA and lots of fun. I did not see the villain coming. I wish that Gough had described the enchants a little better, I kept flipping through images of full animals, to full humans, to half breeds like that super creepy movie The Island of Dr Moreau. Overall great book, I'm looking forward to future ones.
Karen
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
YA fantasy isn't my favorite genre but I thoroughly enjoyed Cloak because the concept intrigued me. And because I like books with animals as the main characters, like Watership Down and Raptor Red. Has anyone NOT noticed the strong resemblance between certain people and animals? Well, at last someone explains the secret! Thank you, James Gough.
Jamie L
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jamie by: Emily
I quite enjoyed this book. I'd recommend it to pretty much everyone I know (my 10 yr old nephew, 35 yr old Gaiman fans, 60-something yr old mother). It has a less-sophisticated Gaiman feel w/o being a rip off. Glad I started off 2012 with a good book!
Janet
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story. My only critique is that sometimes the description of things got in the way of the story.
Norma
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Things are not always as they appear, especially if you are Will Tuttle. Raised in a bubble because of his extreme allergies he has lived a sheltered life, but that is nothing compared to the changes that happen when he finds out that his “hallucinations” are real.
A wonderfully creative world that describes old myths and legends in an entirely new way, Cloak is enchanting from beginning to end.
(Rated G for all audiences, it has some violence but mostly to imaginary creatures.)
karl
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dorothy Schwartz
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read

Unusual place setting. Great character development. As I was reading I could actually see the scene in my mind. Very enjoyable
Suz
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Marci
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Gough is a good friend of our from our college years and I was thrilled to hear he had a novel out. The story is engaging and fun with some great descriptions and characters. Here is why I gave it a three:

1)I recognized elements from almost all boy quest books I've ever read. I'd be reading and yell out to my husband, "This part reminds me of Artemus Fowl (young, smart boy left alone to his own devices by parents who are out of the picture; later looked after by a large and hulking figure; able
Leo Walsh
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I got this book as part of my Amazon Prime membership, where you are able to check books out of their "lending library." This has been a godsend, since it has introduced me to many new writers whom I would otherwise never have met. And Gough is one of them.

And he is excellent. I really enjoyed the world he had built up. It is a relatively complex urban fantasy world where half-human/ half-animal enchants live among us. So the world seems more akin to Artemis Fowl or Buffy than Harry Potter.

The
Gabs
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Heidi
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Rounding up to three stars. The plot here is that Will lives in a bubble since he's allergic to anything made after 1960-something. But he's bored with his bubble life so he escapes the bubble and heads out into NYC. (Side note: why are all these children's fantasy books set in New York or London? Doesn't anything magical ever happen in, say, Sacramento?) He notices that some of the people he's meeting aren't actually people. They're half animals, but nobody else seems to notice.

The first half o
Rachel
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mythology has long fascinated me, so when I saw this YA book on Pixels of Ink, I couldn't wait to read it.

At first, I had a hard time shifting from the prologue to the chapters, they seemed to be totally unrelated, but after a few more chapters, I did find the connection. The story starts off rather slow, but if you will plow through for a chapter or two, suddenly you will find it very hard to put down. The story and the adventure were amazing, and the world so believable, by the time you were h
Amy
Jan 15, 2014 added it
Shelves: fiction, series
This book is a typical boy adventure, like others have mentioned. It was one of the enjoyable of that genre. I love the idea of humans given creature instincts, and how they are hidden by a "cloak" from the majority of the world. Their world is totally hidden from humans, or neps. It is an interesting idea. It gets to the point where the world is so vast; as silly as it sounds one wishes there is more to the world than what we see. That there is a world beyond what our eyes see. Books that give ...more
Derek Jordan
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
A pretty easy to get into kids/teen type book.

Not to say that only kids would enjoy this. I really enjoyed it. It kind of reminded me of reading Percy Jackson or better yet Artemis Fowl books.

I found the main character to be a bit too stereotypical for this type of book, but these days it is pretty hard to really pin down something that sounds different without just hitting another stereotype.

The flow of the book was nice and I liked the progression of the story. There certainly were elements
P
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Exciting, creative and an incredible first novel! I usually try to avoid fantasy, but this young adult novel was too hard to put down after the story took off in the first few chapters. Gough has a vivid imagination that shows in this story of Will Tuttle, a young man who constantly had to deal with health issues and allergies until he discovers that he is an "immune" in a world of animal enchants. As he learns about the enchant world, he is also being protected by an elite protection force that ...more
Jeff
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Merredith
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the story of a boy who has lived his entire life in a bubble because he's allergic to everything. One day, he just leaves and decides to let fate happen. He discovers a hidden world and that he's the one who can save them all. This is definitely a young adult book, but more on the young side than the adult side. I'd say it's fine for kid kids to read. It's sort of got a Harry Potter-esque thing going on, but the earlier books, not the darker later ones. It's very cute!! This could defini ...more
Jacquel
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
At first, I will admit that I didn't want to read this book; I could already detect several Harry Potter-like themes and such. But I knew that I had to at least give this book a chance.

And I'm glad that I did.

The book takes place in New York, with a boy named Will. He hates his life because he's been allergic to everything since birth and he must live in a germ-free environment. He eventually takes charge of his own life and escapes to a hidden world full of enchants.

This book should be a differ
Mel B.
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-loan
Just ok. Has some obvious copy editing problems.

Story is about a boy who is so allergic to everything that he lives in a bubble. He is in fact allergic to anything made past 1960. It initially sounds ludicrous but that is later explained.

He gets drawn into a world of half human / half animal people called enchants. (Stupid name in my opinion because while the name comes from something else it somehow implies the transformations were magical when they weren't really.)

I would also liked to see whe
Bob Sipes
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fantasy is not one of my mainstay genres; however, based on recommendations I acquired this book in Kindle format and read it on my HP TouchPad. This book sucked me in and did not let go. The young protagonist strikes out for a day of adventure and changes his life. The author does a good job of backing up the fantasy with historical references that make it not only plausible(in a fantasy world), but enjoyable. The boy, his protectors, and his new friends are all characters that are enjoyable an ...more
R.L.
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story about a bubble boy who is allergic to everything unless it was made before the 1960's. Clearly that was reason enough to delve into this story. I read it in one sitting.

The bubble boy gets tired of his existence and the cruelty of his "nannie" so decides to escape, even if it kills him. He sees animal people and can't figure out why he is having hallucinations until he decides it's part of his allergic reactions.

But it isn't. What he is allergic to is the "Cloak" chemicals t
Becky H.
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, magic, kindle, fantasy
Will is allergic to everything...well anything made after the 60's. So he is raised in a bubble. One day he decides he has had enough and walks out. He begins hallucinating and seeing that some people are half animal. When he comments to a ram about his horns Will's life is changed. He suddenly has "bad guys" after him and he finds out that he is actually not allergic to everything but is allergic to the "cloak" that has been added to everything to hide the Enchants (animal people). He is what t ...more
Nikkie Shefler
I liked this book. It involves a teenager who isn't who (or rather what) he originally thought he was and a bunch of half-animal people he meets. The 'science' behind it is totally not scientific and very unimpressive, but when you get past that, it has a decent plot and good writing. I thought the main character was very likeable. He also wasn't overly dramatic or overly obsessed with teenage romance, as is too often the case with young adult books. I liked the way it ended. I'm also a big fan ...more
Tea
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm mostly done, and I have few complaints so far. The vast amount of hand-waving needed for the premise to make sense shouldn't deter readers in the age-group for which the book was intended.

Adventure, mystery, sci-fi and a touch of fantasy make for a fast-paced story once a reader gets beyond the first few chapters. (That's not to say that the book doesn't start off with a bang; it's just that there's a bit of a lull after the initial holding-your-breath moments before the author makes you for
  • The Witches of West Shore (Broken Shell Island, #1)
  • The Doorknob Society (The Doorknob Society, #1)
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon Soul
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Cerulean Isle
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Traphis: A Wizard's Tale
  • Song of the Summer King (The Summer King Chronicles, #1)
  • The Tales of Tanglewood: The Lon Dubh Whistle
  • A Touch of Magic
  • The Golden Acorn
  • Little Boy Lost (The Librarian, #1)
  • The Mirror & The Meretrix (Blackstone & Brenwen, #1)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • The Reborn (the Day Eight Series Part 1)
  • Nolander (Emanations #1)
  • The Eye of Divinity (Knights, #1)
He was born in the Rockies, raised in the Dakotas, schooled in a mountain desert, trained south of the border and wooed by the big apple. He now lives in a forest near a great lake with three bright daughters, a brilliant wife and a dim-witted dog.

James has been an actor, an artist, an athlete and an advertiser. He’s thrilled to add author to his list. Besides writing, he loves to teach, is obsess
More about James Gough