Start by marking “Deep Domain” as Want to Read:
Deep Domain

Deep Domain (Star Trek: The Original Series #33)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  487 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A routine diplomatic visit to the water-world of Akkalla becomes a nightmarish search for a missing Spock and Chekov, a search that plunges Admiral Kirk headlong into a corrupt government's desperate struggle to retain power.

For both A Federation Science outpost and Akkalla's valiant freedom fighters have begun uncovering the ancient secrets hidden beneath her tranquil o

288 pages
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Domain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Domain

Jerry
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Like many books in this series, this one was good but not great.
Sheryl Tribble
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Takes place after the first movie and before the second.

Pretty good “episode”, although the writing has a fanfic vibe now and again. An awkward phrase here, a few too many Tom Swifties there, that kinda of thing.

The author clearly had some statements to make, but the preaching rarely went beyond a few sentences at a time, and I never felt that the whole purpose of the story was to bang the reader over the head with The Message. When it comes to that, Weinstein has a lighter touch than some of t
Mike Crate
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Akkalla is a water world and Federation member however it's internal politics seem to be clashing with the Science outpost located on the world which is studying the more unusual ecology of the planet. The government which has total control of media and all communications has been making life difficult for the Federation scientists after they made a discovery, the long awaited audit by the Enterprise will be the first opportunity they get to reveal their findings. Spock and Chekov are sent ahead ...more
The Fizza
Another good attempt at capturing TOS, taking place between The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan. With a problematic, though intriguing, plot it suffers from a slue of missed opportunities [Nothing Chekov did deserved a promotion Jimbo!] not to mention a little more of a fanfic vibe than I like, even from a franchise novel.

Recommendation - In the end it's basically a fun book, if you're already planning on reading it I'd go ahead. But if you're on the fence I'd advise against it, despite the fac
Mark Adkins
While this book is number 33 in the Star Trek series you don't need to have read any of the previous 32 books before reading this one, this is a standalone novel. As long as you have a basic familiarity with Star Trek you can easily follow this book.

If you can't tell by the cover this book is based on the original Star Trek series (in the original timeline). This book takes place between the events depicted in Star Trek: The motion picture and Star Trek II: The Wraith of Kahn. The novel's main c
Ronald Wilcox
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty true to the characters, this novel takes place after Star Trek III and IV. The Enterprise gets orders to go to a world that is over 90% covered in water to evaluate a science project's work. On their way they get pulled to a side mission and Chekov and Spock go on ahead in a shuttle to the waterworld. When Kirk et al show up a few days later, their crew members are nowhere to be found and the planet's government is breaking down as martial law is declared. Also occurring: a neighboring pl ...more
Larry Hernandez
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this back in the 80's. It takes place during the first 4 Star Trek movies a favorite time period of mine. Cool story because it takes place on a planet mostly filled with water. The crew has a shuttle craft/ submarine that they use. The star trek movie I wish they would of made. Cool story & thats saying alot. With star trek books you have to watch for what author your getting because the quality of there books can be great or not so great. But overall a great star trek book. I've rea ...more
Daniel Kukwa
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
My favourite Howard Weinstein "Star Trek" novel -- a combination of his usual excellent handling of the regular cast AND a plot that acts as both an inspiration to the film story behind "The Voyager Home", while being an interesting and fascinating story in its own right. There's also a nice explanation behind Chekov's promotion to First Officer of the USS Reliant, as seen in "The Wrath of Khan".
Zuzana
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. Set between The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan. Lots of foreshadowing and tying up some lose ends (how Kirk ended up on the Star Academy duty, what about Spock being the Enterprise captain, why Chekov was assigned to the USS Reliant and more). Not enough of the core trio interaction, loved some of the Kirk - Bones scenes though.
Lindsay
The characters were a little stiff for characters that we all know so well, and in several places the writing was weak. I'm giving it 3 stars though, instead of the 2 stars I normally would have, because it has admittedly been a long time since I've read a Star Trek book, so it's hard to determine how good/bad it actually is.
J.D.
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Great ST novel. There is strong hold of Voyage Home tunes in it (which is a plus). Characterization of Kirk is bit off here. But it does reads as a TOS episode. I love Novels with Family/friendships bonds of Enterprise crew. I can even forget plot holes.
Heather Domin
Jan 02, 2012 marked it as to-read
I just can't get into this one. It's not that it's a bad story or bad writing - not at all. It's just too full of politics for my taste at this particular moment in time. I'll try again in the future.
Michael Hanscom
Born from the same preliminary discussions that eventually spawned Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and sharing many of the same overall themes, but telling a very different story. Not bad.
Katrin
  • Sanctuary
  • Star Trek: The Disinherited
  • The Three-Minute Universe
  • The Abode of Life
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire