Start by marking “Hellion” as Want to Read:
Hellion

Hellion

SHE WAS CALLED BELLE FROM HELL. . . .
As fierce and indomitable as any man, Isabelle of Langston rules the family lands with an iron hand after her father's death. But the brazen beauty meets her match in Hugh Fauconier, bold knight and rightful Saxon heir to Langston Keep. By the King's hand, he is made her husband. Hugh's virile prowess reveals to Belle the delicious plea
Published May 25th 2011 by Ivy Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hellion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellion

Beth
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romances
Oh, Bertrice Small. Your characters are so laughable and this is as much a historical as "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." And yet...this book is so fun to read. Skanky sorcery? Check. Incestuous evildoers? Check. Check. Complete emotional 180s every few pages? CHECK. I hate this book...but I kind of love it, too. Don't judge.
Naksed
A super fun, super campy, purple enough to paint a whole army of Barneys romp into the medieval BR genre in the delightful, silly, joyful way that only Bertrice Small can deliver.
Inka
Най-ужасната най-гадната най-отвратителната книга, когато някога съм чела. Не искам дори с пръчка да я докосна вече. Преразказ в спойлера, четете на своя отговорност.

(view spoiler)
Alyssa
Wow - a three way and even DP!!! I'm sure going to miss you, Bertrice!
Christine

Finished Beatrice Small's novel Hellion, which as previously reported is an odd romance novel.
It sort of challenges the conventions of the romance novel and comments on them.

I can't decide if Small is a frustrated historian, possibly? Because the book at times reads like an amateur attempt at historical fiction. She dabbles at it. Not always well, but better than most romance novelists. The story takes place in the 1100s, during the reign of Henry I, the son of William the Congueror and grandfat
Donna
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is just something about a book written by Bertrice Small. There is always a fiercely strong heroine. This is no exception. No matter what life throws at Isabelle, she stands fiercely proud and stubborn. There is nothing keeping this strong woman down. She fights for what she loves: her home, her family and the man that she loves. Fierce heroines like this one are my favorites, no wimpy girls can cut it. Overall, I loved this book and I will be reading more as this is my all time favorite a ...more
Kathryn
This book initially lulled me into expecting the usual when wham...the plot really went sideways. I'm not quite sure how that deviation influenced my rating. Suffice to say not in an especially good way? The strong and savvy (mostly) female characters did make a positive difference though.
Jen Warren
Bertrice Small is not your typical historical romance author. You'd think so, from most of her works, until about the halfway point. That's when the happily-ever-after you were surprised to find so early on explodes. Ms. Small isn't afraid to kill off and replace heroes, nor is she afraid to give her heroine multiple Prince Charmings simultaneously. There's a difference between sex and love, and this author wants you to know it.

Hellion goes a little farther in some respects than Small's other wo
Annette Summerfield
Some where around page 200 Belle starts explaining to Henry why she will not be unfaithful to her husband and have sex with him. The couple pages around 235 has Henry you can see that he just doesn't get it... and this is a man in the 1100s. A lot of 'kings' out there still.

If you're not into reading books with a lot of sex in them, don't read this book. If you skip through the sex scenes, as I do, then this book just became a whole lot shorter.
I'm glad Belle had an adventure and was able to exp
Trixie
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
She did not strike me as a "hellion." In fact, she seemed like the "biddable lass" that Bertrice Small insists none of her heroines are: loves her mama, loves horses, loves Jesus, and her boyfriend too. And if there was an Elvis in the year 1101, she would have loved him too.

Sorry, but that's the the song that stayed in my head as I read about this so-called "hellion": she's a Good Girl. So good that she will lick the honeyed paint off a sorcerer's cock and balls to free her husband, even if her
~Volha~
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kinky
The book is set in medieval time when not much known about anything. The story is captivating, about love and bravery of one woman set to save her husband in the clutches of two sibling sorcerers. It has some major kinky elements that heat this book up! I loved it considering I read it in high school. What was my mother thinking reading it after me!!!
Tee
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1st half was a wanna be bodice ripper of the 90s. Too simple & watered down ... picturing a character in a comedy typing a novel ... tapping their chin for a word that describes throbbing member ... but I held out, cause it's Bertrice. I was rewarded with her vulgar sorcery.
Marisa
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There were scenes that made me blush! AND make sure no one could read over my shoulder!
Conniefay
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book it gets really sassy about halfway through the book when the magical people come into play. love the author and this book was so good would definitely read it again.
Greyland Reviews
3 stars
Last half of this book went by very quickly which I was very happy about.
LJ
HELLION - Good
Small, Bertrice - standalone

As fierce and indomitable as any man, Isabelle of Langston rules the family lands with an iron hand after her father's death. But the brazen beauty meets her match in Hugh Fauconier, bold knight and rightful Saxon heir to Langston Keep. By the king's hand, he is made her husband. Hugh's virile prowess reveals to Belle the delicious pleasures of the flesh, as their turbulent days of verbal sparring melt into nights of erotic abandon.

But a treacherous plot
Usmcbrat87
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent love story about a young man who moved back to his childhood land to find a young woman and her mother living there in the home his relatives built. This young woman runs the town, until the man comes along. It takes a while for her to earn his trust and they fall in love. It does get a little graphic if you are into that kind of reading. PAGETURNER!!!
Cheryl Tollestrup
First half was your typical boy meets girl, courts her, falls in love, gets marrried, and they have a baby. The second half was full of perverted erotical that did not sit well with me. In fact I think it undermined the true love of the main characters who diviate and fall in love with other people before they return to each other. Very disappointing.
Edwina Callan
This book started out really good and had me flying through the pages then it just seemed to derail itself and stop in its tracks.
Page after page of going nowhere and boring me to sleep, so I laid the book aside for a couple of weeks before deciding to push onward.
Happy to say that the pace did pick back up again and I did enjoy the rest of the book.
Rebecca Huston
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only to Bertrice Small fans
This was not my favourite Bertrice Small book. I'm not a big fan of paranormal romance, and this one is riddled with lusty sorceresses, sex magic, and group sex, among other things. While fans of hers will enjoy it, this is one that I can not honestly recommend.
Mizuki
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the book before I mailed it to my aunt, who wants to read romances. It's not my favorite book but it isn't a bad one. It can serve as a good enough guilty pleasure, but if you aren't used to reading romances with a lot of adult scenes, don't try it.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing, love the time period, hearing about how they lived off the land and arranged marriages for the young
Beth
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
Wow! Wasn't expecting that. Was very hard to put this book down.
Excellent.
Maryann Korzeniewski
Great story set in 11th century England between the Normans and the Saxons. This period is one of my favorite periods to read about!
Trece16
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this novel before and enjoyed it, and I think I just might go back and read it again its been some years...
Gizelle Foster
Jennifer Knosky
Good overall. Took me a while to get into it, but I enjoyed it. This is my first book from this author, and I might have to read more of her work.
Aeryfaery7
May 26, 2012
Brenda Bryans
Mar 24, 2014
Darlin67
Oct 02, 2012

• The Marriage Prize (Medieval Plantagenet, #3)
  • Nightsong
  • Lost Love, Last Love (Brandon-Morgan #3)
  • Angel in Scarlet
  • Love, Cherish Me (Aguilar's Fate, #1)
  • Dangerous Obsession
  • Love Storm (Russian series/Kuzan Family, #2)
  • Tender Warrior
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • The King's Pleasure
Bertrice Williams was born on December 9, 1937 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA, the daughter of Doris S. and David R. Williams, both broadcasters. She studied at Attended Western College for Women and Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School. On October 5, 1963, she married George Sumner Small, a photographer and designer with a History Major at Princeton. They had a son Thomas David. She liv ...more