Start by marking “Judge, Tome 1 :” as Want to Read:
Judge, Tome 1 :

Judge, Tome 1 :

(Judge #1)

Après avoir indirectement causé la mort de son propre frère, Hiro vit rongé par le remords. Deux ans ont passé quand il se réveille soudain dans le noir, menotté et coiffé d’un mystérieux masque de lapin. Au bout d’un couloir, le corps sans vie d’un adolescent, et sept autres victimes terrifiées, enfermées dans une étrange salle de tribunal. Mais aucun d’entre eux n’est vr ...more
Published June 30th 2011 by Ki-Oon (first published August 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Judge, Tome 1 , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judge, Tome 1

Veronica Morfi
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating for whole series: 4.5/5

The first three or so volumes were a bit slower from what I am used to with Tonogai's stories but once the revelations started there was no stopping.

Judge is a game of judgement (dah!). For Judge 9 players are abducted, each one has one of the 7 deadly sins to be judged for. Every 12 hours they have to vote for the one of them that will be killed. Simple, right? NO!

When 9 strangers are put together in an abandoned house (or whatever that thing was) and the rules o
Michael (Mai)
I'm re-reading this book in English. I started this series in Japan and think I got up to volume three before I moved. I'm glad to see that it's available in the US. I was really invested in this the first time around and was wanting to know how things would turn out. I guess I will this time.

In this first volume we get our first impressions from our new group of unfortunates. It's a big mind trip and I love it. It's not exactly ground breaking but it's at least entertainign.
Julie
This is very similar to Doubt but I still find the plot line intriguing. Perhaps because it reminds me of the Saw movies. Maybe they even influenced the creation of this manga. It is still slightly confusing at the moment, I'm assuming because some of the translations online seem a bit iffy so I think I'll purchase a physical copy to help with that.
Bookishrealm
Okay so I'm going to be honest here and say I have no idea how I felt about this book. Don't get me wrong the illustrations and the concept/idea is amazing, but I'm still debating if I like where this story line is going. I'll have to read the rest of the volumes to get a better feel for everything.
Gunslingerdog
As of right now, I have read past 10 chapters. Liking it just like I did with Doubt.

Mistrust is my perfect topping - just not on my cake.

Hope to review the entire series once all of it is released.
Yousra & Books
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as gore as I excpeted but still a good manga !
Amber
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
interested in seeing where this goes. wished the volume was longer as it ended on an odd note
B
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first impression of this manga was that it was hard to read. The images make it seem like its based off of an anime rather than the other way around. The dialogue bubbles don't always have clear points on them to let you know who is talking. The backgrounds always seem to be rushing by or purposefully blurred. As a concept or a show Im sure it comes off well but reading it... not so much. however I kept reading for the sake of the mystery and for that sake alone I will continue reading the se ...more
Leena
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to rate and review this volume separately because it is a setup for the rest of the series and it was kind of boring and flat. But if this series is anything like Doubt, then I know that the craziness is going to begin soon, so I can't wait for that! So I won't judge this volume (lol, what a pun) too harshly based on its introduction and what I expect is soon to come. If things haven't tremendously picked up in volume 2 or at the very latest volume 3, then I will be pretty disappointed ...more
Stacie
An enjoyable & spooky set-up for this series. I was highly entertained even though the plot wasn't particularly deep. Sometimes I like to read a nonsense horror and this manga fit the bill. Judge, Vol. 1 sort of reminded me of Danganronpa. They have the same vibe anyway, even if the plots are slightly different. The whole "wake up, I don't know where I am, now I have to figure out how to survive" thing is interesting to me. I usually like this type of story structure and even though this one ...more
Donna
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Hiro wakes up in a room with a group of people, all wearing bizarre animal heads, and is told they have to make decisions on who will be killed.

Good things: The art was wonderful - the contrast of being told these person committed a sin with the adorably cute bunny head they're wearing (or bear, lion, etc.) makes the 'sin' part stand out even more.

Bad thing: I'm confused with what's going on but that's part of the charm.

I'll definitely be reading the next volume - I have to find out who will d
Sara
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall found this series to be a very good read. I read and own all six volumes of this series, and found it to be a well written mystery that kept me guess the whole time. Good plot and good story pace, decent artwork along with some nicely colored pages, and a mix of characters to relate to, become suspicious of or trust, make for an enjoyable manga series. There is some violence and 'strong' language, but all are well placed and don't take anything away from the story.
Terrence
Ok start to this series. I feel like they're setting us up to think that the girlfriend will be involved in this kidnapping, or that maybe someone like the store owner who the boyfriend talked with is sort of the middle man observing everything happening and orchestrating this. But I think it'd be really interesting if our hero somehow turned out to be the culprit.

Ultimately, this volume ends with just the first vote being cast, so we don't get to see who lives / dies.
Sierra J
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first manga series by Tonogai. I'd heard a lot of good things about his previous series Doubt and when I saw the Judge series in our Library's collection I just had to grab the first volume. I wasn't too sure about this series when I first picked it up (because it looked pretty gory and messed up) but now ...Wow, I'm hooked! I will continue reading the rest of this series as soon as I catch up on some of my current TBR list.
Brittaina
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting, how he uses animals to represent the sins, but I'd thought that a rabbit would've represented lust, not envy. It would be hard to judge others for their sins when they've all did something, unless one of them turns out to be a child molester or something. Waiting 'til I get the next one!
Anna
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not particularly gripping
Ryan
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was severely let down with this one. The story read way too fast and contained very few details. It was just a knockoff of the SAW movies.
Pippa
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,75 stars.

This was definitely a setup for the rest of the series.
Evey
Reminded me about Real Account, though this volume was way slower.
Elias Alexander
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn’t bad. Maybe I’ll continue with the series
Ellen
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok book gave me some saw vibes. The main character was confusing like I felt bad for him but he was also real dumb at times. Not sure if I will continue but was an ok first volume
Yvonne Edwards
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun quick read

Hunger Games Survivor Big Brother all combine in this book. I had fun reading this book it left me with questions to be ready to read the next.
Daisya Spencer
Kate
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, age-ya, manga, 2013
This series is separate from the author's previous series Doubt, Vol. 1, but based on a similar concept: several strangers awaken locked in a room. I had mentioned that Doubt was very similar to the "Saw" movies and so is this one, although in Doubt the strangers were playing a game similar to one known in America as "werewolf" or "Mafia" - the lights go out, someone dies, and then when the lights come back on, the remaining people need to figure out who the killer is.

Here, the strangers awaken
Aaron Not Now
a grim and bloody mystery; more like a one time shop if I were to ever compare to anything outside my room. but I guess that's the reality of mystery. once you ate a sandwich, it's gone, much like this story. mind you it is a nice tasty treat but the series ultimately for me lacked a sort of authenticity i was looking for; sure the animals and there respective sins fall in line but they don't pan out or give that raw determination that I expected from a dungeon fight to survive scenario.

On anoth
Tara
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-anime
4.5 stars. (Note: this is a review for the whole series)

The story itself is very similar to one of the author's previous works, Doubt. Because of that, I can't help but compare them. Overall, I personally preferred Doubt.

However, Judge out-shined Doubt in certain aspects including overall story because it simply seemed to come together much more than Doubt's story. Also, I felt that the overall theme of judging seemed to give this story a bit more of a purpose.

My only real problems for Judge we
Katy
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
So far, I like this better than the Doubt series, although a lot of my complaints about that one are the same here: the art is boring/not original, the story is a bit predictable. Other choices were pretty predictable, too--for example, choosing a pig for gluttony and a lion for pride. The characters feel like I already know them, and yet they aren't fully fleshed out at all. They're more walking stereotypes--quiet gay kid, loud rambunctious punk, snappy girl with boobs. I'm hoping they'll get m ...more
➷
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Things I love: plot, suspense level, incredible ability to keep you on your toes and always second-guessing your own feelings on everything from morality to who the killer is.

Things I don't love: characters (verrrrry stereotypical), ending (I've grown to like it... but it'll make no sense the first time; I promise), fact that this story is written in 1st person (meaning that it shows the main character's thoughts-- you'll agree with me on this one if you know how it ends.)

Overall? I do recommend
Little_blue_leaf
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
From beginning to end this book was a awfully slow and boring book to read. some people may like it but not me. Now when I read about it online the concept actually looked great but dear god there is nothing entertaining or special about this book. It ends on a cliff hanger and I purchased and read books 2 & 3 and it didn't help at all. I was absolutely disappointed with my purchase. But there is the possibility that I'm just not an manga guy. Maybe I just don't enjoy reading manga. But gues ...more
I'mogén
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Despite the low rating, I most likely will be continuing this manga, purely for the fact that it's something quick and I feel as though it will become better.
Exactly as my initial thoughts perceived it is just like Danganronpa, even the characters themselves are similar. e.g. #1 the girl with the glasses in both have some form of hysteria in parts. e.g. #2 stuffed animals...
There wasn't much story developement but that is what
I'm hoping for in the next volumes. I'm sure it'll become more beefy
« previous 1 3 next »

• Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc, Vol. 2
  • Cage of Eden 7
  • Highschool of the Dead, Vol. 4 (Highschool of the Dead, #4)
  • Are You Alice? 1巻
  • BTOOOM!, Vol. 2
  • Another Omnibus (Another - The Manga #1-4)
  • Hell Girl 2