Start by marking “Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices” as Want to Read:
Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices

Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices

In the lumber camp days & pioneer days the cooks learned from each other & from the old world cooks. Each taught the other his countrys cooking secrets. Out of the mixing came fine food, prepared as nowhere else in the world. This book includes some of these recipes that you will not find in cookbooks plus many other historical recipes. It includes meats, fish, ...more
Published December 31st 1995 by Ecco Press (first published January 1969)

Be the first to ask a question about Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices

Start your review of Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices
Dan
Jul 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People fascinated by the mentally ill
How to begin? This is possibly the most incoherent, bizarre, misinformed, misanthropic, and unintentionally hilarious cookbook ever written . . . insofar as it can be called a cookbook at all. Having written the last two sentences, I feel I have failed to invoke the truly awesome idiocy of this book. Perhaps a few quotes from the inimitable Mr. Herter will serve to clarify:

"The flavor of truffles is about the same as that of the mushrooms raised here in North America commercially, in fact our
Scott
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Holy god was this an AMAZING find at the used bookstore. While a little tough due to a disregard for commas, it's an amazing book to read out loud. With the Myan prediction of the world ending in 2012, I found the sections on what to do if a nuclear winter should occur particularly helpful.

I'd be a miss not to also give the virgin mother a shout out for her spinach recipe.

Also, it's golden. Literally.
Hank Lancet
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not long before my grandfather passed away a few years ago, he gave me this odd book, telling me that it was full of some of the best recipes around...along with some other useful tidbits.

In particular, he recommended the Oysters Rockefeller at Galatoire's in New Orleans, which is mentioned in detail on pp. 98-102, along with the bio of the waiter there at the time, who was "New Orleans' most accomplished waiter" because he was a good waiter who not only understood food, but would refuse to
Jerry
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Mere words cannot describe this authentic relic of the nuclear era. Whether you want the Virgin Mary’s favorite spinach recipe or how to prepare for a cobalt bomb, Herter covers it, keeping “as much in alphabetical order as possible.”
Heretic
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Half of this book is utter bullshit. The other half is useful tips that made my cooking better. You have to filter by trying some of his tricks and ignore his constant use of "this is the best and only way to prepare this dish" and instead consider its merits, as most of the recipes are extremes of one kind or another. Useful extremes, however. With 30+ years of cooking experience, I actually found many of his ideas had some merit and tried them, finding some surprisingly good outcomes which has ...more
Ferd
Oct 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books, although I have yet to try any of the recipes --- not even Spinach Mother Of Christ. It's a well known fact that spinach was the Virgin Mary's favorite vegetable.

One of my favorite things about Herter's books is that so many of them feature pictures of toddlers holding shotguns posing by dead animals.
Jess
This '60’s cookbook takes you all across the US ( but mostly New Orleans) and introduces you to regional cookingans special dishes (Senate Bean Soup). It also instructs you how to make a variety of wines and cordials ( dandelion and parsnip for example). Really interesting. I want to show this to my grandma and see if she ever heard of it.
Sunderbug
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
beyond the clearly uneducated nuclear survival stuff- this was 1960 mind u- there is a treasury of awesome recipes! and alot of good stories- whether true or not. And heck- the author is from minnesota- hes gotta be good!
Daniel