Start by marking “Flaming Tree” as Want to Read:
Flaming Tree

Flaming Tree

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  594 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A compassionate woman haunted by her past. A mysterious man who leads her to love. And the dangerous secret that is stronger than both of them.
Kelsey Stewart is not thinking of love or adventure when she visits her aunt at her peaceful seaside inn nestled in beautiful Carmel, California. But when she is urged to help in the recuperation of Jody Hammond, a young boy who fel
Published 1986 by Hodder and Stoughton (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Flaming Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flaming Tree

Crystal
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is old and pretty cheesy. It's by an author I've enjoyed in the past, set in the area I've just moved to, so I thought it was worth a read. Mostly the book was kind of preachy--an attempt to get the reader to listen about things the author thinks can/ should be done for brain injured children. lots of mumbo jumbo sounding lecturing about things I would normally be more sympathetic to. not one of Whitney's best novels--too didactic, not interesting enough. and the twist? I won't spoil it, bu ...more
Kerensa
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Why did I bother to give Whitney another try? This was my third and last. I love gothic and romantic suspense, but there are so many better authors out there with out some sort of incest or sisters sharing lovers or husbands.
B.E.
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is now one of my favorite Phyllis A. Whitney novels. I can't believe I hadn't read this one until now.
Dayna Smith
Second only to Columbella (to be reviewed later), this is my favorite Whitney novel. The ending is a complete shocker! You end up going back through the story looking for clues you missed when you discover the secret at the end. Jody Hammond and his mother Ruth suffer a terrible fall off the cliffs in Carmel, California. Ruth is crippled and Jody is severely brain damaged. Tyler, Jody's father wants him sent away, Kelsey Stewart (who specializes in working with brain damaged children) thinks the ...more
Kathy
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
An older book of the romantic suspense type that is set in Carmel, California and the surrounding area. I picked it up to read as I was heading on a vacation to California with a planned stop in Carmel. I saw many things mentioned in the story which made it come alive. Story involves a therapist working with a young boy who has lost his speech because of a tragic accident. Needless to say all works out in the end with a romance to boot.
Mary L.
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was really surprised at the ending but liked the day to day struggle to help Jody recover from his injuries (spinal and brain)! Not a vegetable! a rather frightened little boy. When I was three quarters of the way through I reached the can't stop reading point and finished just after midnight this morning.
Priscilla Deboer
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
In the past I was an avid Phyllis Whitney fan. So it has been awhile since I re read the ones I own. I was curious to see if my appetite for her had changed. So far it hasn't, she is well worth reading for her ability to put you there with the story.
Shirley Yant
Really liked this book. I had forgotten how well Phyllis Whitney writes.
Andria
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Meh, I didn't much care for this one. It was alright for a romance, but it felt cheesy in places. I'm hoping her other books are more interesting.
Cricket Muse
Oct 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Dorothy
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fast read with both expected turns and a surprising twist. The story moves a lttle slow sometimes. You can picture the seting so well from the descriptions offered.
Pr Latta
[audio]Would be fine for fans of "contemporary (1980's) Gothic romance / suspense, just didn't grab me - Troy's brooding self was not at all appealing
Susan Kemp Maldonado
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Was very interesting and kept me turning pages. The conclusion was a real surprise.
Jun 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This book has a good amount of romance and suspence.
Libbie
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Too funny that I guessed the ending surprise but thought, NO way would the author go THERE! Oh, but she did!
Cher
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
For the most part a very engaging story with well developed characters. I'm usually one who sees what's coming LONG before the end of the book...but I didn't see this ending coming!!! Easy read.
Vicki
Oct 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was given to me many years ago by my children's babysitter. I enjoyed the book when I first read it and enjoyed it when I re-read it. It is a great mystery/suspense book.
Helen
Jul 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Set in Carmel, CA on Monterey Bay's scenic coast. Romance, mystery, intrigue.
Mary DiGrazio
  • Stormswift
  • The Shrouded Walls
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...