Start by marking “Fearless” as Want to Read:
Fearless

Fearless

The smartly painted exterior of the City Community Faith School hides a disturbing secret. Behind its walls, 1000 girls are forced to labour in the city's laundry, separated from their families and deprived of their freedom. One of these girls is Little Fearless who never gives up hope that one day she will be rescued.
Published June 4th 2007 by Walker & Company (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fearless, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rachel
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Fearless
Joe
Mar 31, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, young-adult, dystopia
My name is Tim Lott and I have a ton of Very Important Political Observations to make! I could research global diplomacy (or lack thereof), red-handed corporate lobbying, and the insidious duality of any and all political parties, whether left or right, and use that information to write a scathing non-fiction book, or...

Or I could write a shitty young adult novel.

I think I will write a shitty young adult novel! So much easier! Kids don't care about quality, right? They wouldn't know stilted,
Brandy
Oct 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, 2007reads
If a book is released as an Advance Review Copy, the publisher is probably trying to generate some advance buzz for it. Get some good reviews going ahead of it and make people want to buy this book. I think that, if that's the case, the book has some obligation to be good.

Fearless is what happens when an adult author tries to write a kid's book, but doesn't really know how. All language gets dumbed down, every little detail gets spelled out, exposition grows like mold. It's like Lott hasn't even
Benna
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adult readers and Adults
Recommended to Benna by: We are going to read it for English this year
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Now, I know many will disagree with me but what made Fearless appeal to me was Little Fearless's strength of character-her courage and her spirit not only contributed to what other people saw her as but to who she was. The fact that here she was, in a prison, an institution, yet she told stories and disobeyed the rules-to receive the cruelest punishment without entirely selfish motives. Little Fearless was a lifeline of hope for all of the girls who had been torn from their ...more
Jenna
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teenagers; young adults; anybody who seeks an interesting story
Recommended to Jenna by: Friend
I first discovered this book a few years ago from an online friend who fell in love with it. Taking her advice, I eventually got hold of Fearless from my school library, and ordered it online for myself sometime later. I read Fearless when I was about twelve or thirteen, and have since read it over a good few times.

The story follows a brave child nicknamed Little Fearless, who has been banished to an institute to become a proper Cityzen. The opening chapter is beautifully written, proving to be
Corinne Edwards
In a world where rules and blind obedience have taken the place of good judgement and compassion, there lives a girl named Little Fearless. She spends all her days in The Institution, where she's taught to listen and obey. Problem is, as much as they try to teach it, she's not really learning it. Little Fearless knows that she, and all the other nameless girls at the Institution, deserve something more. Deserve families. And freedom. Of all the girls, Little Fearless has the guts to find a way.

Bex
Jul 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009
The premise was interesting... Kind of 1984 or Brave New World- but what happened to the kids in these societies. So you would think- hey this should be cool.

Yeah- not so much.

Dialogue. HORRIBLE. Characters? Totally 2-dimensional. Maybe he wanted to keep them simple because this society was breaking them down so they didn't resist the rule. But if that was the case, why did Little Fearless just suck? She didn't say anything new. She had the same conversation over and over.

also the bit about
MsThomas
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I hesitate to call this book science fiction because so many people don't like that genre. It's set in the future, and tells the story of a girls' "school" that is actually a prison where girls who get in trouble are sent. The girls have been taken away from their families and locked into this facility, which the public believes is a school. Then one of the girls attempts to escape and get help from the outside...

It's recommended by JACQUELINE WILSON and is a smooth, easy read with an engaging
Bella
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: so-sad
I read this book years ago and liked it but I didn't really understand what it was about. I would like to reread it so I can try and understand it better.
Amelia
Amongst the plethora of dystopian fiction, Fearless is bland, trite, unremarkable. Despite the fact that it tells the story of a children's prison, the reader never feels any connection to the children's fate, probably because Lott never bothers to write any scenes that actually show anything particularly bad happening to them. He doesn't show us their backbreaking work in the laundry; he never really describes their time in the punishment cells; even when they are in danger of being burned to ...more
Ella
Interesting one. This book is presented as "dystopian" but it lacks some of the key elements in the current trend of teen dystopian novels.
First of all, it's narrated in 3rd person, in a sort of modern fairytale style. It's quite formulaic (Little Fearless escapes, finds someone who does not believe her, then gets back).
Secondly, the main characters are children of unspecified age, but we are talking about school age so I imagined them to be somewhat between 10 and 16.
Thirdly, which I'm sure
Carol Yu
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really do love this book, once i picked it up it already seem special. Every page there is a title and a quote. Not to mention but it keeps me suck in when ever i read more and more, is like the way the aurthor wrote the story line is so thoughtful. At first page one, you know nothing at all, nothing it just talks bout someting you ave no idea of, but later on as you read on you have that feeling like "ooohhh i get it!" Which to me makes me feel really good.
Little fearless is the main
Kirsty
Apr 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Here is a prime example of an author who has taken too many writing classes.
There is no need, particularly in a YA novel, to have a metaphor on every single page.
There is no need to over-describe everything.
There is no need to have dialogue like this:
"Have you no heart? Do you not care?" wondered the commander, clearly astonished at her remarkable self-possession.
"I care," she said evenly. "And thank you...But if you think that using cruel facts as hammers to break my spirit, you are wasting
Olivia.g
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I am a massive book reader and my three cabinets of books can prove that. And, although I criticize books often, I found this book very inspirational and a really good read. Warning, tears will be spilt and feels will be felt. But, I recommended it to all my friends, and they all loved it, so I see no problem why you shouldn't as well. It is meant for a young adult audience, and is definitely worth buying. I'm not going to spoil the book for you like some websites ...more
Clickety
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, dystopian, fiction, ownit
I freaking loved this. The clear, simple, sparse prose. The fable-ish storytelling style. The fact that it's a dystopian adventure in which almost every single character is FEMALE. The fact that the character noted for her beauty has DARK skin. The fact that the author got me to switch between rooting for and against the SAME CHARACTER. (Stench, in case you were wondering.)

Whimsical, dark, and imaginative, this book is a great gateway into dystopian fiction.
Samantha Manning
I read this book in three hours. I couldn't put it down. It can be a little predictable at times, but the characters are complex and the message is poignant.
Fireflie
Jan 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Really didn't like it..good basic idea but was written in an annoying style.
Andrea
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Betsy Long
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, dystopia
I haven't loved a book this much in a long time! Highly recommend.
Hope
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
It takes a really good book to make me cry. No ordinary novel can evoke such emotion from me. No, it takes a book like Fearless, a book that touches the reader so deeply, to do it. Tim Lott plays on the very essence of human behavior, with his memorable themes, interesting elements, and things that just plain out make you ask why.

A huge theme in Fearless is hope. The main character, Little Fearless, appears to symbolize this theme, as she always is the one to lift spirits and to spur
Matthew
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Lance Gabrielson
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Serena
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the book, Fearless by Tim Lott, the author teaches us that only when individuals stand up together for what is morally right, then will society change for the better. In this well written dystopian book, our protagonist, Little Fearless, lives in an institution for young girls. Controlled by the ruthless Controller, the girls were forbidden to use their real names and instead given letters and numbers. Little Fearless, who we later learn that her name is Hero, was the only one who never gave ...more
Mary Beth
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read this for my second-trimester book report, and I can honestly say I did not enjoy it as much as I would have liked. The story opened with an eerie and creepy beginning, leaving me with many questions as to what on earth the story would bring. This book was slow, slower than molasses. There was hardly any plot. The main character is quickly introduced as Little Fearless, a rebellious teenage girl in a terrible institute for children with troubled pasts. Everyone in the Institute is treated ...more
Kobe Datu
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If we tighten the leash too tight and thrust too much control, rules and regulations upon ourselves and our people, we'll be, in turn, losing our freedom and the ability to make choices in the process. In the story, "Little Fearless," the author, Tim Lott, awakens the reader and warns us that if we let ourselves be too controlling and too predominant, we'll be throwing away our privileges of independence. This is shown throughout the story, specifically on pages 5-6 where "The Controller" was ...more
Jamie Steckler
This story is set in the future in what is basically a correctional facility for young girls called City Community Faith School. From the outside and on the media, it is presented as a well-ran religious school but what people don't know is that girls who are "mindcrips" or "juvies" are imprisoned here. The girls are deprived of their birth name and instead are addressed but numbers or nicknames. Inside these walls, the young girls are treated like slaves facing harsh punishments or backbreaking ...more
Aiyanna Isis
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the book, "Fearless" by Tim Lott shows us you have to follow what your heart tells you and not your mind, therefore, people can stand in a group to fight against what's wrong. "She asked for help. I am ashamed to say I did not help her because she was dirty and bedraggled and just a child so I did not believe her." pg 248. "I, too, remember this girl," the voice said."She came to my police station, I am ashamed to say I ignored her." pg 249. "Fearless. Fearless. Fearless. The noise grew, and ...more
Frances

Cross-posted from Nightjar's Jar of Books.

Little Fearless lives at the City Community Faith School, which claims to be a place of redemption and reform for troubled young girls. In actuality, the school is a prison for 1000 girls who have been taken from their families, and are forced to work in awful conditions and with no hope of ever leaving. But Little Fearless never gives up hope of one day being rescued, and always does her best to inspire all the girls around her to do the same.

What I saw

Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Lott, Tim Fearless, 257 p. Candlewick, 2007.

Little Fearless has lost her name and the system has tried to strip her of her dignity, but she refuses to concede to the demands of the Controller at the girls' prison that masquerades as a school. Her daring plan to seek support from the outside world alienates her from even her best friends and when she is sent to the Pit, she may be doomed to be forgotten forever.

This extremely powerful story would be well-served as a classroom read. I'm not sure
Sage Cox
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought little fearless was kinda boring at the start, and I was debating whether I should get a new book or not. But once she began sneaking out and people started learning about what really happened inside the institute I started to enjoy the book a lot. The ending of the book was so awesome too because it honors Little Fearless, and the inmates and people of the city realize they need freedom and how wrong the institute is. I also cant believe how the Controller relates to Little Fearless ...more
Beth
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book to read by a student who loves dystopian novels and said that it was unique and I should try it. I found the book to be just as she said, unique, interesting and emotional. The story was harrowing and engaging but kept me reading quickly through the chapters. The characters, some of whom are cruel and dickensian like and some of whom are brave and resourceful make this book stand out. I was shocked at the ending but very much enjoyed it.
Hailey. J
I really liked how the story was told,and how the author writes the characters.

For example the fact that they use nicknames like "Little Fearless", "beauty", "stargazer", because the government take their real name away from them, instead of the number they where given is very interesting idea.

if you like corrupt Governments/institution being found out by the masses and shutdown all by just a determined little girl and here group of friends then your like this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)
  • Forget Me Not
  • Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1)
  • Posted
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2)
  • The Looking Glass Wars
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Children of Exile (Children of Exile, #1)
  • Full Cicada Moon
  • Nightmares! (Nightmares!, #1)
  • Paper Things
  • Zero Tolerance
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
  • The Key to Extraordinary
  • Saving Wonder
Tim Lott is the author of seven novels and a memoir, The Scent of Dried Roses, which won the PEN/J.R. Ackerley Prize. White City Blue won the Whitbread First Novel Award and his young adult book Fearless was shortlisted for the Guardian Children's Book Award. Tim lives with his family in north-west London.
“There are so many whys, and I'm just a poor, stupid girl. My head hurts from not understanding. My heart hurts from being alone.” 2 likes
“The three angels were called Truth, Courage, and Compassion. These seemed very old-fashioned words. Corny, even. Little Fearless had no time for fancy words like that. She'd have been more convinced that the angels represented something real if they had been named Doubt, Cruelty, and Revenge. Or Anger, Confusion, and Indifference. These seemed to be the powers that ran the world.” 1 likes