Start by marking “How to Get a Literary Agent in Two Murders or Less” as Want to Read:
How to Get a Literary Agent in Two Murders or Less

How to Get a Literary Agent in Two Murders or Less

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A witty plunge into the world of publishing, romance and mystery Aspiring novelist Amanda Anderson has never had any luck, but she hopes that's about to change. She goes to a writer's conference to find an agent, but ends up with a husband. After a whirlwind courtship, she elopes with Jonny Goodsnuff, a bestselling suspense writer and single father of two. Soon she discove ...more
300 pages
Published May 13th 2011 by Mirth Press

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get a Literary Agent in Two Murders or Less

Joseph Finley
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me preface this review by stating that this book is not of a genre I typically follow. In fact, I don’t know how to classify this novel’s genre. It’s part chick-lit, part murder mystery, I suppose. (Maybe there’s a sub-genre for that?) I’m primarily a fan of historical and fantasy fiction, but perhaps the fact I really enjoyed this novel says something. I was drawn to it by its title – as a writer, I appreciate how maddening it can be to find a literary agent, so the story sounded like a goo ...more
Elizabeth Allen
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Writing is easy...Getting an agent is MURDER!

How to Get a Literary Agent in Two Murders or Less is an unconventional guide for wannabe writers who are willing to do whatever it takes to get agented...NOT!

It's not often the reading public at large is privy to what writers go through to see their manuscript journey from inception to bestseller. Even rarer is the opportunity to tag along with a charmingly naive budding author as her aspirations catapult her from one impulsive decision to the next
Jack Labloom
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a most entertaining read. There are indeed two murders, one has happened in the past and one happens later in the story. The clues are there for the reader who pays careful attention.

The first three chapters grabbed me. I just knew a dead body was going to show up in the hotel, but instead something I didn't expect happens. I won't spoil it. Then Jonny and Amanda go to Jonny's beach house, where the story takes off like a rocket. It was difficult to put the book down. I read
Ron Voigts
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
How to Get a Literary Agent in Two Murders or Less is a witty plunge into the world of publishing, romance and mystery. The mismatch of characters work perfectly together and take the reader on a roller coaster ride into the mayhem of murder. The plot moves along with rich prose and snappy dialogue. The storyline clips along at a smooth pace. The story drew me in, kept me laughing and held my attention, wondering who did it.
Lori Wolf
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-reads
I could not put this book down! I will admit I read at red lights because I had to finish it & find out who the bad guy really was. I will admit I thought I knew, did figure it out before i was told, but the end was a surprise- and a good one at that. I look forward to reading another book by the author.
Kathryn Kopple
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pure pleasure. Ellie Burmeister knows how to keep the reader turning the page. I am reminded of writers like David Sedaris--the book is witty, intelligent, and original.
Katherine Gilraine
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely madcap funny, and something that every aspiring author can relate to with ease. Burmeister is ingenious.
Michele
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's good. I would likely give it a 3.5
D.w.
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is middle of the road for me. It is the first work of Ellie Burmeister and Mirth Press so I expect that the work is self published. I have nothing against that. The physical book looks well enough done.

Why I am not giving it 5 stars as I expect those who know Ms. Burmeister did is that as a story and mystery I find that there are problems with the work.

First our heroine is telling us her narrative in first person, except she is giving us foretelling. For she tells us there will be a b
Randi
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this book as a Goodreads First Reads winner. As soon as I read the title, it had my attention. The title is clever, and unfortunately the best part of the book. It would be a book to read on the beach or by the pool this summer. I was interested in the story as I read, there were just parts when I felt it could have been written or done so much better.

Amanda Anderson is an aspiring writer. She has written several books, but can't get any published. She ends up spending her life savings on
Kenneth Teicher
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a story you must stick with. The beginning is a little slow while the characters are developed, but eventually progresses into a very entertaining murder mystery with a lot of unexpected twists. It is well thought out, with plenty of clues dropped like bread crumbs for us to follow. Many of the clues are so subtle that aren’t even noticed until explained later in the story. It is written in first person, which the author handles very well. There are a few inconsistencies that a nitpickin ...more
J.M. Davis
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are indeed two murders, one happened in the past and one happens later in the story. The clues are there if the reader pays careful attention.

The first three chapters grabbed me. I just knew a dead body was going to show up in the hotel, but instead something I didn't expect happens. I won't spoil it. Then Jonny and Amanda go to Jonny's beach house, where the story takes off like a rocket. It was difficult to put the book down. I ended up reading until the wee hours of the night to finish
Amanda
Aug 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
What a horrible waste of time! How on earth did this crap has nearly four stars I simply do not understand. Bad writing with an even worse protagonist - she is annoying, irritating, naive and stupid stupid stupid woman - Johnny was quite kind when he called her a dingbat. Aside from the fact that the 'mystery' is not really a mystery at all (she only thinks it is because she is too stupid to see the obviousness of the plot she's in), the very timeline of the story makes the entire thing implausa ...more
Alessandra Torre
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I thought this was a very good book, and certainly one of published quality- it seemed professionally edited and well-written.

This was a very fun, quick read, with a unique and interesting plot, an entertaining and memorable cast of characters, and enough twists to keep the reader entertained. Only thing keeping me from 5 stars is that I try to reserve those for "blow my mind" books.

But I was happily surprised by this book. I do think the author made a huge improvement by changing the cover- I
C.P. Lesley
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
I really liked this book. It had humor and a nicely wry sensibility, and it kept me guessing for a good while. There were a few moments when Amanda, the heroine, irritated me, but she soon recovered. And she did NOT run into the dark alone chased by the villain, an ending that always leaves me frothing at the mouth.

A thoroughly enjoyable light read, exemplifying indie writing at its best, and well worth any investment of time and money—especially for indie writers, who will especially appreciate
Heidi
"I received this book through the Early Reviewer program. This fun, kooky mystery was a quick, enjoyable read. I figured out the mystery ahead of time, but it didn't spoil the story. I docked half a star for the main character who is supposed to be the down-to-earth person in the crazy world of publishing but who is instantly soothed by fancy houses, jewelry, and cars. All in all, though, good stuff."
Marva
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans, authors
Recommended to Marva by: the author
I got to read this book in its last draft.

It's totally cute, and a nice mystery plot to go along. It certain will appeal to writers who've been seeking agents and thinking a couple of murders might be in order.

You won't be disappointed if you're a fan of modern cozy mysteries.

The book is due for release at the end of June.
Alison
Jun 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

It was okay...I figured out "who done it" pretty quickly...it was quite an implausible storyline and not too ,any of the characters were truly believable...An entertaining "summer read" nothing too deep at all.
Chhavi
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, books-on-books
the book was well written, but the protagonist annoyed me so much - for a smart writer she sure was needy and vain. I finished it, though, on the strength of the writing and because I'm a sucker for whodunnits.
Ellie_b
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the author: This is a tale of an idealist young woman who comes to Malibu looking for fame, fortune, and romance--and ends up with more than she bargained for.

You must have a sense of humor about the publishing industry, but if you do, I promise you'll laugh out loud more than once.
Libby
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute, fun, easy summer reading!
Beverly
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, funny
The characters were all goofy but the story was cute,, it made me want to find out how it would end. Liked ending which is important to me.
Cynthia Cirrincione
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book! It delved into the publishing aspect of books that us readers don't normally hear about. A good who-done-it.
Mary
Aug 18, 2012 added it
readin now.....very interesting. good book
Elin
Jul 11, 2012
Patt Sullivan
Feb 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Fifth Specter (Parker Chance, #1)
  • Hunting for Sparrows
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • Aches (Estrange Reality, #1)
  • Play Fling
  • They Say the Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Four Existential Noirs
  • The Concubine's Gift
  • Frequent Traveller (Cathy Dixon, #1)
  • Muffin Man
  • Gyges the Terrible
  • Pirate Therapy and Other Cures
  • Artistic License
  • Jane Doe's Return
  • Dark Reckoning
  • Humanize: How People-Centric Organizations Succeed in a Social World
  • The Plot Against Hip Hop
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Strictly Murder (Verity Long Mysteries #1)